PDA

View Full Version : mantis documentary comparing taiwan and mainland

xiao yao
06-01-2013, 07:21 AM
http://www.monkeystealspeach.co.uk/mantis-documentary.php

I think I remember someobody on this forum saying they trained with the Taiwan master on this - Yang Feng Shi. Was it you Richard?

mooyingmantis
06-01-2013, 09:18 AM

I think I remember someobody on this forum saying they trained with the Taiwan master on this - Yang Feng Shi. Was it you Richard?

Yang Xiaodong is my shifu.

Thanks for linking this! Can't wait to watch it!

Kymus
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
looking forward to this, thanks!

mooyingmantis
06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
After watching the video, I would say that the gentleman from Taiwan practices a much more traditional method than the man from the Mainland.

Though the man from the Mainland seemed to claim Hao family lineage, his movements were definitely influenced by the Yu Hai flavor of mantis. Which is very different from the Hao family mantis that I studied in Qingdao.

The gentleman from Taiwan only gives credit to Li Kunshan for bringing mantis to Taiwan. Though I believe other mantis practitioners preceded Master Li's arrival in Taiwan. So, take his history with a measure of salt. :)

Thank you for sharing this with us Will! It was a very interesting program. Is it available for download?

YouKnowWho
06-01-2013, 01:53 PM

If 2,3 is faster than 1,2,3 then do you think the 1,2,3 combo used at 26.10 can be simplified as 2,3 by skipping step 1?

Of course you may have to take more risk because your back hand is away from your opponent's attacking arm (compare to your leading arm). It's always safter to intersect your opponent's attack by your leading arm (because it's closer) than your back arm. But the speed increase can be great.

I used to like the 1,2,3 combo, lately, I like more and more just the 2,3 combo (skip 1). If I initial the attack, to use step 1 may give my opponent an early warning (less surprise). If I only use step 2 for arm contact, I can give my opponent much more surprise (1 touch and hit vs. 2 touches and hit). So 1,2,3 may make sense in defense. For offense, 2,3 is better than 1,2,3 IMO.

What do you guys think?

Kymus
06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
At first I was like "aww man; I barely speak any Chinese to understand this" then I was "oh man, subtitles! Woohoo!"

if anyone wants to hold on to this video, there's an extension in Firefox calld Flash Video Downloader that makes it real easy.

xiao yao
06-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Well the Taiwan guy definitely looks the more traditional, Im sure they could have got a better representative of mainland tanglang than someone doing Yu Hai's mantis.

-N-
06-01-2013, 05:47 PM
What do you guys think?

Your 1-2-3 will be too slow if you can count separate touches and hits. You can't even talk about offense vs. defense at this stage.

YouKnowWho
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Your 1-2-3 will be too slow if you can count separate touches and hits. You can't even talk about offense vs. defense at this stage.

That's my concern. No matter how fast the 1,2,3 may be, it's still not fast enough. I used to like the "leading arm back fist" contact. Now I like the "back arm parry" contact instead.

It's interest that the 1st move of the Bon Bu form is a back hand parry, leading hand punch (1,2), but most of the PM combos are 1,2,3.

-N-
06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
That's my concern. No matter how fast the 1,2,3 may be, it's still not fast enough. I used to like the "leading arm back fist" contact. Now I like the "back arm parry" contact instead.

It's interest that the 1st move of the Bon Bu form is a back hand parry, leading hand punch (1,2), but most of the PM combos are 1,2,3.
We have different views on this.

It's easier to see in person. If you are ever in the Bay Area, you should come by to work out.

Tainan Mantis
06-02-2013, 06:57 PM

Yang Fengshi is my Shibo. I have spent time with him. Mostly he teaches Taiji. But he did study with Li Kanshan's son. He taught me Li Kunshan's Tang Lang Ba Duan Jin.