PDA

View Full Version : stance switching punches

spiner
06-09-2013, 09:12 AM
I've heard that people often compared xingyi with western boxing. One thing that really stand out for me as being different (purely in punching) is that xingyi have those stance switching punches in the forms, where the back leg becomes the front leg after the punch, like how pi and zuan quan are done.

I want to ask

1. Is it actually used or just for training purposes?
2. How well does it work? What are the benefits of learning how to use this punch?
3. Is there a weakness to this kind of punch? Boxing doesn't seem to teach this are part of their curriculum. At least my old boxing coach didn't teach me this.
4. If it does have a weakness, how does xingyi deal with it.

bawang
06-09-2013, 09:24 AM
I've heard that people often compared xingyi with western boxing. One thing that really stand out for me as being different (purely in punching) is that xingyi have those stance switching punches in the forms, where the back leg becomes the front leg after the punch, like how pi and zuan quan are done.

I want to ask

only for training purposes. this is common northern kung fu protocol
lunge-> half step-> shuffle

Sima Rong
06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
If it's not explicitly taught in Western boxing I can't imagine it not being done. Wouldn't that movement be natural if you wanted to go for a knockout strike and you thought the other person was dazed and open for it? It seems a powerful blow with the whole body.

However, it changes the side which is forward, which is a weakness if you are not used to fighting on both sides. And sport boxing seems to normally have the same side forward.

I know Xinyi from the beginning drills their movements on both sides, over and over, so they'd be used to working with either side in front I'd think, if xingyi's training methods are anything similar.

Stance switching strikes are in traditional Shaolin too.

Miqi
06-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Yes, it is a very effective and useful technique, actually applicable - at least in sparring. I've never done it in an actual fight for my life. Its primary weakness, like all stepping-in punches, is that your lead leg is very vulnerable to a sweep. But then, it often is anyway - and everything has its vulnerabilities.

mawali
06-10-2013, 07:32 AM

I want to ask

2. How well does it work? What are the benefits of learning how to use this punch?
3. Is there a weakness to this kind of punch? Boxing doesn't seem to teach this are part of their curriculum. At least my old boxing coach didn't teach me this.
4. If it does have a weakness, how does xingyi deal with it.

There are some boxers and MMA guys who intuitively (at least for that moment in time) executes 'techniques' based on how their opponents come at them and how they react based on training. I think conditioning goes a longer way as long as you train with as many people as possible. It increases the possibilities of adjusting to many situation.

YouKnowWho
06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
The XingYi punch is like the boxing "superman punch" that you coordinate your punch with your leading foot landing. the Baji system also uses this kind punch.