PDA

View Full Version : straight blast ? is this a joke ??

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:26 AM
just a small question i think ryu could help here , i recently read his post on paul vunak and i was just wondering what is the straight blast, i had heard of this befpre in jkd and i assumed it was like a northern style (kung fu) straight punch that comes traight out hyperextends the shoulder/chest and is friggin powerful.
However after some net searching i find that its actuall what we call a wing chun straight punch or noy moon chie.
This is documented in jkd as powerful this and that etc etc and great after you hit the guy to continue hitting him with it.
Ok i always thought that jkd is 80% bad wing chun techniques with a lot of picknmix thrown in for good flavour but this straight blast thing is a joke right???

The roll punch or a single punch from the centreline is the single weakest punch possible , ive learnt too many different punches in my life to actually ever need.
and out of all of them the roll punch is so feeble unless its used after a good setup its useless let alone opening someone up and blasting them. its terrible its the equivalent of a boxer saying "I open my opponents up and then step in fast with my powerful JAB.

Ive heard all this stuff about after opening the opponent and doing a straight blast the opponent looks like a flying crane a funky chicken that has been hit.!!!
please tell me i have misunderstood this. !!

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Sharky
11-13-2001, 02:30 AM
"The roll punch or a single punch from the centreline is the single weakest punch possible , ive learnt too many different punches in my life to actually ever need."

All wing chun punches are in the centre line (usually, don't get arsey), do you think all the wing chun punches are weak? Are you sure?

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:33 AM
hey sharky its not that wing chun punches are weak i mean ive seen a 240 pound guy pull a wing chun punch that packs a wallop , but in comparison to a boxers cross or a karateka's straight punch or pretty much anything from the hung gar repetoire or hsing yi , the wing chun punch was never in my eyes designed for power , it just doesnt have the rest of the body dynamics behind it.

They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Sharky
11-13-2001, 02:36 AM
fair enough.

interesting note: ryu dropped the straight blast from his repetoire in jkd, and stuck to boxing, isn't that right?

shinwa
11-13-2001, 02:37 AM
Wong you're way off. You must not be throwing them properly because the punch is hella powerful because of how extremely direct it is. Especially when properly targeted.

Similar story with the jab. With gloves it's weak, without them it'll open someone up or break a nose in a second.

SantaClaus
11-13-2001, 02:37 AM
you only say that because you have no root and you don't know how your wais works. **** you too, dumb****.

yenhoi
11-13-2001, 02:47 AM
The Wing Chun straight punch doesnt have COMPLETE body works - if you are doing the slt.

Why would you stand facing your opponent as if in slt or chi sao?

Does that make defensive sense?
Does that make any sort of sense concerning mobility?

You dont stand and fight someone in the slt stance.

Wing Chun maxim: the centerline lies on the shoulder when the body is turned(< !>).

PV's Straight Blast is the WC Chain punch, not WC punch. You straight punch and step aggressively into your opponent with each punch. I like the flow - straight blast, head butt, elbow, knee. Very nice.

:D

strike!

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:48 AM
ok i would bet anyone of you that takeing anyone of the current wing chun practitioners straight punches and comparing them to punches from a boxer the power would be 1/4 of the boxers.
root or no root.
or compare it to one of a hsing yi practitioner.

Internal vs internal or external vs external.

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:49 AM
the way i see it analysing the body mechanics of it the wing chun punch always uses 1/4 of the movement from the different muscle groups thus generates 1/4 of the power.
also why it faster than the other strikes.

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:51 AM
yen hoi whats the slt stance ?

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 02:54 AM
btw nuttnhunny i hope that fu(k you dumb**** wasnt directed at me , because i could whip you like a 5 year old you have trained for 4 years and talk about root and you mention youre a teacher , jesus what sort of system are you a teacher in ?? Even ben gash wouldnt grade you in his wan king fist system.

shinwa
11-13-2001, 02:58 AM
It isn't the most powerful punch around but with proper mechanics it's powerful enough for what it is. personally I think it's the perfect punch. Dmaging power and insane speed to boot. I have a hard time bringing myself to use a cross in a fight. Opens ya up to too many counter techniques. But it is powerful.

yenhoi
11-13-2001, 03:03 AM
SLT stance is the pigeon toed stance adopted by Whing Chunners when performing the SLT (First form)

When performing the SLT, the waist and lower body do not move. In a real fight, or even a sparring match, or anything that requires moving more then your arms will require your waist and lower body.

This includes punching.

The entire body is involved when 'executing' a whing chun straight punch/chain punches - not jsut 1/4 of whatever muscles you were counting.

strike!

Sharky
11-13-2001, 03:04 AM
"I have a hard time bringing myself to use a cross in a fight."

are you joking?

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 03:08 AM
ok rite yen hoi i get what you mean , goat stance .

No man i know what you mean im just saying compare the dynamics of executing the wing chun roll punch the punches after the 2nd one dont involve using the waist or anytihng other than the chest muscle after the 2nd one all you do is step forward. Compared to say the water element swinging strikes of hung gar where you use the whole body continuously and its fast as hell.

Btw sharky i agree the cross is mother natures punch when i was 8 its the first punch i threw at someone ...
lol

Sharky
11-13-2001, 03:12 AM
i have a hard time NOT using a cross in a fight!

shinwa
11-13-2001, 03:15 AM
Sharky-

nah man I'm not joking. I do them, but I have a hard tiome bringing myself to do them if that makes sense. If they happen they happen, but I don't like to start my offense that way. It's totally unneccesary anyway(for me). I mean I understand how much you need them in ring sports since you have giant gloves covering up your weapons. But in bare knuckle fighting straight line punching works just fine.

Maybe it is one of the more "natural" techs, but i've never been in a fight without knowing martial arts(started at 6) so i've always been just as comfortable not throwing crosses, haymakers and what have you. It's just a comfort zone thing.

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 03:16 AM
thats a long time in the martial arts shinwa , what do you practise currently

joedoe
11-13-2001, 03:22 AM
I have to go with Sharky on this one - the cross is a great punch. Obviously, I would not open with one but it is devastating in its effectiveness. Fast and powerful.

I would tend to open them up with straight punches (jabs etc) then go in with the hooks and crosses.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 03:26 AM
abandit i agree 100% with you, the wing chun punch is a fast punch but definately not your bazooka or rocket launcher in your arsenal

yenhoi
11-13-2001, 03:26 AM
Concerning the '2nd and 3rd punches':

Well, first off, when actually fighting or sparring or for some reason throwing dogs:

You dont usually go out and execute a 'chain punch' - you seek an opening, and punch through it, going around or through any obstacles that "pop up" - nailing the opponents centerline -

depending on how the battle progresses from this point would your original straight puch (or straight lead for that matter) turn into a chain punch or straight blast.

depending on how well your straight punch was timed, your opponents body will react in various ways - if they retreat, **** right you continue you use your lower body and waist to step into the attack and press your opponent - PV specifically mentioned his 'formula' and how his opponents were reacting to his straight blast - by retreating - then he met a wing chun guy holding onto the centerline: his solution was to move the obstruction - the guys arms, by "pak sau'ing and lap sau'ing - and then hit him anyways.

You are also considering only the force of the wing chun guy punching with one arm - while doing nothing with the other - not likely, many arts, not only the wing chun guys like to use both hands, grabbing things, pulling them, pushing on stuff, whatever. Also there are legs, and heads and elbows and knees randomly flying around during combat.

But your right - when you punch with just your arm or arm and shoulder, you wont be punching very hard. Of course, your obviously not the first person in history to figure that out.

strike!

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 03:29 AM
personally if you had just opened your oponent up using pak sau hun sau or whatever , would you rather continue with a roll punch or would you prefer to change to legs for more power ?

Sharky
11-13-2001, 03:30 AM
hmm, you would be doing well to use jabs in a streetfight. they're wasting your time. in a fight, if you have to " open them up " (ie they have their guards up), you've fecked up. Chances are you're gonna get one chance to hit, and it should be before he has his shot. Jabs are for boxing, in a RING, or when you've squard off.

yenhoi
11-13-2001, 03:34 AM
I would consider the 'Wing Chun punch' my bazooka - specially when done many times in a row.

strike!

joedoe
11-13-2001, 03:36 AM
Sure, if you are going to take the first shot then make it a good one. However, I have seen jabs used in streetfights (admittedly I haven't seen that many). A jab can be used to make it safer to throw the big hit by stunning and off-balancing your opponent.

But then, I may be talking out of my arse as I don't have much street fighting experience.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Sharky
11-13-2001, 03:43 AM
i guess you could use a (jab) left then (cross) right - obviously

neptunesfall
11-13-2001, 05:43 AM
hammerfist combo's work nicely for beating the crap out of someone. they follow the centerline and are more powerful than straight punches [for the most part].

rogue
11-13-2001, 06:20 AM
Screw the centerline, I want your ribs, kidneys and neck. ;)

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Now I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.

straight blast
11-13-2001, 06:28 AM
Wow, I thought I had offended someone...
Oh well.

I actually have had two different kinds of straight blasts described to me. One is kinda like the JKD lead punch only driven with your whole body through the opponent's head. And the other is the Wing Chun chain punches.
I think where people are getting off on the wrong foot here is that they are talking like the WC straight blast is a knockout technique. I don't use it that way. I use it as a setup (an attention grabber, if you will) while I start jamming knees & legs. Works good for me.
The JKD-like straight blast I used to use in Muay Thai all the time. I'd throw a roundhouse, nice and slow to make sure that it was leg checked, and then I'd drop my weight onto the checked leg and drive my whole body weight through my lead fist through the opponent's face. It usually s**thammered people. It's not a knockout (with 16oz gloves on anyway) but it sure shakes people up and forces them backwards off balance.
Give it a try! I'm sure you'll like it. :cool:

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Sharky
11-13-2001, 06:28 AM
good job the neck isn't on the centreline

straight blast
11-13-2001, 06:30 AM
LOL @ Sharky! :D

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Sharky
11-13-2001, 06:30 AM
and the centreline is the line going thru the middle of u opponent (vertically), AS YOU SEE HIM.

It's a 3 dimensional axis, it's not a flat line going down the middle of ur opponent FROM THE FRONT

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 06:36 AM
i think the straight blast in JKD is a series of centerline punches. Not just one. A flurry to get you inside.

Stuart b.

Sharky
11-13-2001, 06:37 AM
yeah it is, did you think otherwise wongsifu?

SantaClaus
11-13-2001, 06:42 AM
Wongsifu(----thinks he can fight, when he doesn't even know how to punch. And thinks he could beat me just because I'm demented. Well when it comes to kung fu, I know my ****, yes you are a dumb****.

You think your a leader? No one will follow you. Your mother should have swallowed you.

Sharky
11-13-2001, 06:44 AM
you like big l nuttinhoney? respect is required, regardless of your dementure.

Sharky
11-13-2001, 06:50 AM
it actually goes "you ain't no leader, what? no body followed you, you were never sh!t, your mother shoulda swallowed you"

sounds a bit more harlem-esque now, huh?

Chris McKinley
11-13-2001, 07:54 AM
Gee, I'm thinking I kinda know my kung fu sh*t, too. I'm thinking Nuttnhunny's four years of Xing Yi Quan are too few for him to be that arrogant and too many for him to be that lacking in basic courtesy.

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 09:35 AM
nuttnhunny fu(k off mate i could spank your batty with one hand tied behind my back 4 years of training in an internal style doesnt even make you a begginer. please tell me how you came to the conclusion that i cant punch ?if you had half the brain power to analyse like i can you wouldnt be repeating what your teachr said about use the waist and **** like that , **** man you dumb **** i bet you dont even know about opening and closing the kua and having the dai mai open to punch with.
go on do anetsearch so you dont look stupid

sharky i realised its a series of punches i just like the motto of if one isnt enough youre doing something wrong
:D

truthfully im surprised that in the wide repetoire of all the punches available bruce chose this one as his powerful technique.Actually in general im not impressed with 80% of the stuff is see from the jkd ive seen, forget all that tools nonsense all styles have tools wether its tai ji or bjj , i never think that gracie's grand pappy said " no youre not allowed to use the arm bar from that angle" . Its just that to me it looks too much like hodge podge in jkd.

talking of which. What is up with that side-ways kick that comes out from the weirdest angle , i dunno if its in all jkd but it was at the lesson i went to.

ryu please come and aid us ...

you know i used to be impressed by wing chuns speed but then i realised **** man you can have that speed in any martial art with lots more power , go to raffi's wushu page its www.beijingwushuteam.com (http://www.beijingwushuteam.com) and take a look at the old school video clips especially the one by a southern style master , nanquan video clip and youll see what i mean, this guy has speed from hell ok its wushu but those punches are like cannons.

Xebsball
11-13-2001, 03:08 PM
You guys respect each other or I'll have to kick your arses.

-------------------------
"I AM EFFECTIVNESS"

Ford Prefect
11-13-2001, 04:04 PM
Wong,

I'll keep it simple since I've only seen the straight blast performed and am not a PFS (Vunak) student. The straight blast Vunak speaks of is actually a series of punches. Imagine somebody spinting at you throwing the 1-2 (jab - cross) repeatedly as well as mixing elbows, knees, and headbutts in the mix. That's the PFS RAT System "straight blast" It's not a single punch. It's a very aggressive move designed to overwhelm an opponent.

origenx
11-13-2001, 04:20 PM
"and the centreline is the line going thru the middle of u opponent (vertically), AS YOU SEE HIM.

It's a 3 dimensional axis, it's not a flat line going down the middle of ur opponent FROM THE FRONT" - Sharky
------------------------------
Yes, could you please clarify the centerline theory for me? So, a person's centerline would be like a vertical plumb line dropping maybe from the crown of their head straight down, more or less?

But, when you want to keep someone "in your centerline," what exactly does that mean? That you want to be directly facing their centerline (or "plumb line) - regardless of which way they're facing? Or could you be facing them at an angle - or even completely sideways at them? In other words, if you were standing on a clockface on the floor (and facing 12 o'clock), would you have to keep your opponent at 12 o'clock, or from say 10 to 2, or 9 to 3, etc? Is it only determined and limited by the horizontal rotational range of your head? So, if your head can turn to face his centerline, then he's in your centerline - which for most people I'd imagine to be around 9:30 to 2:30.

(And obviously, it wouldn't matter what direction they were facing, although it'd be best if they weren't directly facing yo

LEGEND
11-13-2001, 04:49 PM
STRAIGHT BLAST...
I think there are 2 version also...
The Bruce version is a ONE PUNCH KO blow...
The type of punch that PRINCE HAMMAD throws...
The PROGRESSIVE JKD is done like this...
Running chain punches design to cause an opponent to cover up then u control his neck for elbow knees and headbutts.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A

Ryu
11-13-2001, 06:29 PM
Wongsifu, :)

Yes the straight blast is a series of rapid straight punches thrown when the opponent is trying to back away from you. It is interesting to note that many JKDers now are trying to "blast" with more of a boxing bent. If you look at how Vitor Belfort KO'd Silva in Brazil you'll know what I mean. He did what was named by many as an "effective straight blast" that KO'd his opponent in a matter of seconds.

I personally do not like the blast as much as Vunak does. I have sparred it on many occasions, and it just doesn't seem to have the effects I'm looking for ...FOR ME :) Not everyone runs backwards, stunned. IMO, most try to stand their ground and fight you back while you're blasting.
It can almost appear like you're running in place with it. But there are lots of people who can make the blast work for them. I can as well, but I personally don't like it that much. I may use it occasionally, but not often. I feel boxing, intercepting with a clinch, throwing him down, and pummeling him with fists and knees while he's down is more effective, and more damaging...
but I'm always training, and I'm always testing new theories.

The side kick you're talking about it probably what is called a jeet tek. The jeet tek is a sidekick that comes up (not chambered) in hopes of intercepting an attack. It is NOT a power kick in order to break a leg, etc. The jeet tek is simply a move to stop-hit an opponent coming in so you can counter, etc.
I'm pretty good with the low line kicks, but sometimes I do indeed chamber my kick so I can strike out with much more power at the kneecap.
Having speed and power are important assets in any attack.

Hope that helps.
Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

rogue
11-13-2001, 06:44 PM
Yes Sharkey Smarty Pants, I know that the neck is on the "centerline". What I believe is that many become a slave to the very good theory of the "centerline". From what I can tell many, including myself, are not even clear on what it is.

Ryu, it's good to hear that someone else besides me didn't get the results and didn't fall in love with the SB.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Now I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.

LEGEND
11-13-2001, 06:57 PM
SIDEWAY KICK??? Or u talking about the inside oblique kick???

A

shaolinboxer
11-13-2001, 07:01 PM
I have never heard of the straight blast as any more than a single punch.

As I have learned, it is performed by shifting your weight from the center forward, rotating the body into alignment, and delivering the blow just before the front foot falls (also called a "falling step" in boxing).

It is surprising similar to the sidekick in the way your body weight shifts forward.

origenx
11-13-2001, 08:43 PM
Lyle - by that description, the straight blast sounds sorta like a fencing move then? Is that what it basically is?

----------
And someone knowledgeable please answer my previous technical question about the centerline!!

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 09:32 PM
thanks ryu :) i just checked out the belfort vs silva fight on sherdog and it is identical to what i saw ken shamrock do once where he was on tiptoes and just ran(nimbly on the tips of his toes) and kept jabbing his opponent really really fast. He basically found an opening and overran his opponent. Which brings me to an interesting note

The most simple thing we learn in kung fu is never step back you opponent can overrun you if you step back once its easier for him to run forwards than you backwards. Do you think a simple side step is a great counter for this attack ??? not just one side step but a series of stable side steps. or simple counterattack,
in the video clip silva made the most basic of mistakes by retreating and not countering.

as for the use of the straight blast , i find that the way you say many opponents will try and fight back is only logical also this is what first brought the question of WHY ? the straight blast into my mind.

as for the side kick / oblique kick jeet tek ???i cant see it used for intercepting an opponent, unless maybe you are facing one person and get attacked by another from behind/side ??

i cant explain it any better , let me try it again.
say you are standing straight with your arms relaxed next to you and your palms facing backwards, try to use your right ankle to move up and touch your right palm. This is essentially the move only its extended out wards a bit.

hoep that helps its really been puzzling me since i saw it.

lastly not to confuse things here but the other thing i noticed is in this jkd punch the hand curved inwards to the left or right respectively , it was a curved straight punch not a jab , whats your take on this.

btw oriegnX about the wing chun centreline, many people say diff things , the way that we were taught it is that the vital points lie on it, throat eyes groin etc (btw this goes 5 years back so i cant remember all that well) so technically if an opponent is side on his centreline is still the line that runs down the front of the body but its harder to get to, seriously though i dropped the concept 5 years ago, since every part is a disabling target why bother with the centreline.

myosimka
11-13-2001, 09:33 PM
Not sure what you guys are talking about as one technique but the term 'straight blast' as used regularly by the JKD world, particularly Vunak, ie. PFS, and Thronton, ie. Straight Blast Gym, is a series of techniques executed in a linear pursuit. Designed to shut down an opponent's offense and force them to go defensive long enough to clinch, knee, throw, etc.
It is not a single technique

shaolinboxer
11-13-2001, 10:18 PM
The Tao of JKD describes it as a single technique.

It is similar to a fencing thrust.

LEGEND
11-13-2001, 10:35 PM
The most simple thing we learn in kung fu is never step back you opponent can overrun you if you step back once its easier for him to run forwards than you backwards. Do you think a simple side step is a great counter for this attack ??? not just one side step but a series of stable side steps. or simple counterattack,
in the video clip silva made the most basic of mistakes by retreating and not countering.

"wong...it's not that easy...SILVA got caught with a good right cross...and he was stunned...by that time he was getting rain with punches left and right...his brain was bouncing around in his skull...so I don't think he had time to react! Remember this is well trained thai boxer...but SILVA has a rep. of being like JOE FRAZIER...going in like a tank...until he met a bigger tank in VITOR! Once u get caught like that...u're screwed."

as for the side kick / oblique kick jeet tek ???i cant see it used for intercepting an opponent, unless maybe you are facing one person and get attacked by another from behind/side ??
i cant explain it any better , let me try it again.
say you are standing straight with your arms relaxed next to you and your palms facing backwards, try to use your right ankle to move up and touch your right palm. This is essentially the move only its extended out wards a bit.

"Ohhhhhhhhh this is not really JKD own kicked...I've seen this in NORTHERN SHAOLIN guys...it's a shin kick I think or can reach the groin...it's done with the REAR LEG or LEAD LEG???"

lastly not to confuse things here but the other thing i noticed is in this jkd punch the hand curved inwards to the left or right respectively , it was a curved straight punch not a jab , whats your take on this.

"you have a photo or video???"

"Mysoimka...there are 2 version...the one that u know of is representative of Dan Insonto's crew...the JKD Concept. Lyle is talking about the JUN FAN or ORIG. JKD concept which is like the way PRINCE NASEEM punch...like a fencing punch but with your strong side forward...it's a 1 punch KO for the street."

A

Ryu
11-14-2001, 01:35 AM
Wongsifu,
Do you have a pic you can post on the kicking technique you're asking about? The jeet tek is a sidekick that is brought up to intercept the opponents attack as he's coming in. It is thrown from the lead leg when you're facing him.

As far as jabbing goes... I do not like to punch vertically. I like to jab with my fist horizontal like most boxers. My father was a boxer and this was just the way I was taught, and it works for me. I like to sometimes stay sideways, and the boxing jab lets me do that. Then I can double up with the jab, or fake high, and go in for my clinch or shoot.

I think what you're really getting into here is more of the "original JKD" type techniques that some of Bruce's first students promote.
JKD isn't a style. :)

If I want to stay proper to JKD, I have to do what works for me. I've got to come up with theories, and test them out with resistant opponents. I have to absorb what's useful and reject what's useless, and that INCLUDES stuff from Bruce's own writings, and the JKD world itself. I don't think Bruce had all the answers, I don't think HIS way of JKD was the best "JKD" and I don't think you have to do things exactly the way he did them (i.e. vertical fist vs horizontal fist) to be true to the JKD principle.

I want to express myself in my art. I don't want to do someone else's. And personally, I think Bruce would be proud ;)

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

NorthernMantis
11-14-2001, 04:12 AM
The chain punch is far superior to the straight blast since the straight blast is more Americanised :D

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

KnightSabre
11-14-2001, 10:40 AM
We've left the old straightblast punch for the new vitor type attack.
It's also not may favourite but it definately has it's place.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

Wongsifu
11-14-2001, 11:06 PM
ok its all cool btw i understand what the jeet tek is its not the kick i tried to describe ... no pics i could find either.

I understand what you mean ryu its like bruce lee made a system that worked for him and said you do what works for you best .

so everyone tries to copy bruce lee and misses the point of you do what works for you best.

LEGEND
11-15-2001, 01:05 AM
Wongsifu...yup...u got it! What happen is a lot of peeps want to be like BRUCE...like be like MIKE...and they miss the point.

Another thing is that he didn't criticize or said all TRADITIONAL SYSTEM was bad. He talked bad about from what it seems many instructors that didn't advocate full contact and made students do only forms! If u read more and more into his article...he did respect many traditional systems but did not like the way the instructors were selling it!

A

NafAnal
11-15-2001, 03:08 PM
"truthfully im surprised that in the wide repetoire of all the punches available bruce chose this one as his powerful technique.Actually in general im not impressed with 80% of the stuff is see from the jkd ive seen, forget all that tools nonsense all styles have tools wether its tai ji or bjj , i never think that gracie's grand pappy said " no youre not allowed to use the arm bar from that angle" . Its just that to me it looks too much like hodge podge in jkd."

>too true

Wow, wongsifu talking about bruce and not dissing him... :)

Everyone seems to strike differently. I think Hawkins Cheung doesn't like to straight blast hand over hand, i think he uses more body and blasts with hands side by side.....

Who was doing the curved JKD punch wong?

I kinda noticed a whip quality to some of Bruce's strikes, he threw what seemed like boxing style but with a very subtle whip at the end.

Is this present in any internal systems of gung fu? Just a guess but the whip seems to me like an internal(ish) method of transferring energy.

Wongsifu
11-15-2001, 09:46 PM
naf anal it was this instructor down here ,
dare i call him an instructor he did a couple of seminars and is riding on the jkd name, i believe his teacher is a Mr Lamarr maybe you guys know him better than me.

LEGEND
11-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Mr. Lamar Davis has tons of credentials...he has studied and got belts and sashes from numerous chinese systems. He has also trained with old skool jkd guys and others...he promotes the original bruce lee jun fan style of fighting.

A

streetmaster
09-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Hello all-
I'm new to this forum. I was just looking at this post and have some comments.
The "Straight Blast" That I learned in J.K.D. is not even ment to be a "knock-out punch", and dosen't even need to be powerful. It's ment to occupy the opponet so you can get into trapping range to terminate the fight with head-butts, knees, and elbows.
Even if it does not "drive" the opponet back, it gets you in to trapping range. This is all superseeded with a good interception or destruction.
If the opponet dosen't start to "back-peddle", then you would eventually end up nose to nose with him, if you are a J.K.D. Concepts man, this is where you want to get to anyway.
I'm not here to debate style, just the usefullness of this technique. Sometimes I use it, sometimes i don't it's just another tool in the tool box.

www.stevensoncombatives

streetmaster

Ford Prefect
09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I've trained under a couple JKD guys. One being a rather well-known guy who trained with Vunak for a while and another a Bustillo instructor.

Both taught the straight blast to me as an agressive forward moving chain attack. It wasn't Wing Chun chain punching as we utilized mainly the boxing 1-2. It wasn't only punching though. It was using whatever was presented to you. Say you came forward throwing 1-2's at the guy and he tried to duck out of the way, then you could plum the guy and start adding knees and elbows into your attack. Amusingly enough, I always considered it being akin to what it looks like when a trained fighter spazzes out and tries to kill the guy in front of him.

An example of a straight blast in this context can be seen in how Vitor Belfort defeated Vandlerlai Silva in UFC Brazil. He just charged ahead throwing the 1-2's...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5223390708964083722&q=belfort+silva

PangQuan
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
for those that dont know or understand.

not all punches are meant to have ko power.

there are things called set ups...openers...what have you.

i cant remember where i saw it, but there was a fight i saw. it was in thailand. professional thai boxer vs. a wing chun practitioner.

the fight was basically a draw, however at one point in the fight, the thai boxer was knocked down with one punch.

guess what punch the wing chun guy used :rolleyes:

Ben Gash
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Enough with the reviving dead threads already!

Ultimatewingchun
09-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Only read the first 20 or so posts on this thread. So possibly what I'm about to say has already been covered, but here goes:

The wing chun vertical punch that comes from the centerline - whether thrown once, or possibly as much as 3-4 times (at which point it can be referred to as the straight blast, or roll punches)...

is a very misunderstood fight tactic - whether we're talking within the wing chun world or from the outside looking in.

First of all - it almost always should be accompanied by some forward movement utilizing a full coordination of feet, legs, waist/hips, shoulder, elbow, arm, fist.

And the elbow should always finish in a locked position with impact coming BEFORE that...so...in conjunction with all the other body parts/movements just mentioned:

THERE IS DEFINITELY power on the punch because of the follow through.

As much as a rear cross? No. But still - enough power so that even one punch could snap someone's head back...and so 2 or three punches thrown in a row and LANDING pretty much in the same place - can definitely be a serious weapon.

BUT ALL OF THE ABOVE MUST BE DONE FROM VERY CLOSE RANGE TO BEGIN WITH.

Which means that the "straight blast" needs to be set up by other moves first. To gain the proper distance and create the opening for the vertical punches to come in.

And therein lies the confusion/misunderstanding about the wing chun vertical centerline punches. They are thrown from a distance wherein THEY become the fastest striking weapon available at that moment (because it's thrown in such a straight line).

Wing Chun is an INFIGHTING striking/kicking system.

Attempting to throw the vertical punches from any other distance is simply not the way to go.