PDA

View Full Version : At what point should I stop weight training?

respectmankind
11-13-2001, 05:23 AM
At what point does weight training encumber my other abilities?

"I am the weakest of all warriors walking the earth, but I can easily defeat the strongest."

Sharky
11-13-2001, 05:32 AM
*sigh*, never, if done properly, and not overtrained

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

blaktiger
11-13-2001, 05:40 AM
I think it depends on what you call weight training. Are you training to get big, or cut up? With the notable exception of Bolo, the bigger you get, the more flexibility you are going to lose. Although I'm sure Bolo has his problems as well.

Show muscle is slow muscle, that's what I say. I used to weigh 225, benching the ****ed moon. But, I couldn't get my arms above my head. Now I'm down to 205 doing just forms. You'll be surprised at how good you will look just from doing forms, or even basic callistenics (sp) - like push ups and such.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I'll be too busy lookin' good!"

Sharky
11-13-2001, 05:46 AM
he's a troll though.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Mr. Nemo
11-13-2001, 06:01 AM
Don't train to be big, train to be strong. Do it right, and it should never hinder your abilities regardless of how much you do, as long as you don't do it to the exclusion of everything else.

SevenStar
11-13-2001, 08:09 AM
AT, I agree with that to a point - I fluctuate between 210 and 220, and I'm quite flexible. I can can do "pretty" kicks - like a tornado kick (yes, landing on one leg) that people half my size and with higher rank can't do. I have deeper stances and higher kicks than alot of the ones smaller than me also. It all depends on how you train. Even when I was 240 I could do the kicks the way I do them now. Now, If I was 270, it might be different...

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

IronFist
11-13-2001, 08:29 AM
Bulk does not interfere with flexibility at all, provided you train intelligently. Tom Platz, the guy with the biggest quads ever of any bodybuilder can do full splits. If his quads don't get in the way, no bulk will ever get in anyone's way.

Besides, the chances that someone here doing kung fu will even approach body builder size is very small, so don't worry about size hindering your flexibility. The only way this can really happen is if your lats or chest get too big, it might be hard to wipe your own arse, but really, no one here is going to get that big, so don't worry about it.

:)

Iron

SevenStar
11-13-2001, 08:42 AM
:D

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair