PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man's own words on sticking, Chi Sau and forward pressure

BPWT
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Alex Richter from City Wing Tsun in New York really is a great guy. He's just uploaded the next part of the translation of Yip Man's interview with New Martial Hero.

Lots of great stuff here on forward, rattan-like force; "staying and sticking", Loi Lau Hoi Sung, Lat Sau Jik Chung, and more.

Funny how much of these mottos, when mentioned by the likes of Leung Ting or from people in the Leung Sheung lineage, are dismissed. :rolleyes:

Anyways, great interview for those of us who study Yip Man lineage Wing Tsun/Chun.

:)

--------

Alex writes:

PART 3 OF THE INTERVIEW WITH GRANDMASTER YIP MAN! Oh this part is really exciting, this is really the first time we ever hear the late grandmaster explain Wing Tsun in his own words. Enjoy!

Part 3:

(continued from last page) … That is that all Wing Tsun movements are from bong, tan, fook. Common martial arts defend punches and kicks by using the arm to block and the other hand to attack or use both feet to approach the opponent. In terms of order, their block must be before the attack. Also, defending and attacking in most situations cannot come from the same hand. In Wing Tsun, it’s different. For someone who knows Wing Tsun, if the opponent gives you a punch, when the opponent’s punch is about to land, the opponent will be attacked by me at the same time. The most special thing about Wing Tsun is to use attack as defense (to neutralize). Therefore one of the mottoes is (da sau jik si siu sau) “your hitting hand is your neutralizing hand”

One more thing you have to know or pay attention to is that the aim of Wing Tsun is “sau lau jung”. What is “sau lau jung”? Grandmaster Yip Man explained: “Every move and every attack comes from the centerline. In other words, you use your kiu sau (bridge hand) as your center. So no matter how your opponent attacks, the opponents bridge hand will always be on the outside of both of your bridge hands. Therefore you have the upper hand in the fight. Grandmaster Yip Man made a metaphor: the punches we form are the sun-character fist (yat ji chung kuen), come from the heart and move towards the opponent in a straight line like the string from a bow. Therefore the “line” of the punch is called “jau gung yuen” (walk the bowstring). If the opponent gives you a round or curved punch then they are using jau gung bui (walking the bow). (Anyone with a little knowledge of geometry will know the comparison between a curved line and straight line, and that straight line must be shorter). At the same time, in comparison with a straight punch from the waist, the distance is also shorter. The reason being, our (Wing Tsun) punches come from the heart.”

Apart from Grandmaster Yip Man using the bow and bowstring metaphor to analyze the punch, he also used rattan and hammers as examples. Logically, rattan, hammers and bowstrings don’t make sense together. How do you compare them? But in the Wing Tsun style, the similarity with the rattan cane is in when the opponent closes the distance we use tan, fook or bong for example. Therefore when the opponent comes, it’s like hitting on a rattan cane and so my defense is like when rattan gets pressure and bends. But when the opponent’s attack has a hole or gap, we use extremely fast speed to rush in with our move. Just like a compressed rattan when it’s released, the speed is fast , the move very powerful.

As for the hammer metaphor, we are talking about how to generate power in the Wing Tsun style. The force is just like when you use a hammer to hit a nail. People who have used a hammer to hit a nail will know that if you only use brute force and improper technique the nail will not go in and will be bent, so you must use gentle force, including using the wrist as the axis. Carefully and gently hit the nail, just like when using the Wing Tsun fist.

The writer asked Grandmaster Yip Man about how many people believe that Wing Tsun is soft, focusing on using softness to control hardness.

Grandmaster Yip Man answered: “Wing Tsun, you can call it a soft martial or whatever. If you think soft means powerless, then you are wrong. In Wing Tsun chi sau, our hands are very soft but it is not a lack of power, it is just like the spring power of the rattan.”

Lastly Grandmaster Yip Man told us one Wing Tsun motto “loi lau heui sung, lat sau jik chung”. He also said in applying tan sau, fook sau, bong sau, we do not have horizontal (side to side) movement. The word “sung” in the motto is a forward movement. The word “chung” is also a forward movement. The word “lau” in the motto is stay and stick to the opponents fist (arm) and not use brute force to push it aside.

Many people who are familiar with martial arts, says the writer, believe that public safety is worse than ever. There are robberies in staircases , gangsters in public bathrooms trying to rob you, in tea houses and diners, if you give a look to a gangster they will gang up on you and attack you. In tight places like these, if you want to find (cont.)

tc101
06-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks very interesting.

BPWT
06-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks very interesting.

Alex Richter is the person who took the time to translate it and then put it online in English for everyone. Such a dude :cool: :)

But yes - very interesting to hear things from Yip Man's own perspective.

There are some who think sticking in Chi Sau is wrong, and that bridging is not what the art is about, and some who think there is no springy, rattan-like force used to exploit gaps and weakness in structure. :confused:

Of course, you can't convince some people, even Yip Man's own words probably won't convince them. Maybe they think Yip Man misinterpreted his own approach.

anerlich
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Ali. R
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Alex Richter is the person who took the time to translate it and then put it online in English for everyone. Such a dude :cool: :)

There are some who think sticking in Chi Sau is wrong, and that bridging is not what the art is about, and some who think there is no springy, rattan-like force used to exploit gaps and weakness in structure. :confused:

Of course, you can't convince some people, even Yip Man's own words probably won't convince them. Maybe they think Yip Man misinterpreted his own approach.

And a lot of people think that they can just lean into the structures and work it out for there, but when you over compensate from the lean, your shins starts to flex which means that you’re really just searching for your center of gravity.

And that will keep the hands from being as soft/gentle as they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the lean is there but it shouldn’t be as recognized or seen so clearly.

Take care,

k gledhill
06-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Good old sayings and yip man confirming them. Nice.

Vajramusti
06-19-2013, 05:30 PM

-------------------------------
Thanks to the translator and thanks to the poster.
Is there more?

Eric_H
06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
What is “sau lau jung”? Grandmaster Yip Man explained: “Every move and every attack comes from the centerline. In other words, you use your kiu sau (bridge hand) as your center

Kiu Sao, eh?

And people have been telling us HFY guys we made that term up for years ;)

Vajramusti
06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Kiu Sao, eh?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uses of the bridge is well known in Ip man's wing chun. Ip man's chum kiu has much to do with the bridge,

KPM
06-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Kiu Sao, eh?

Its a common term in southern styles. Anyone saying that HFY "made it up" obviously didn't know much about southern gung fu!

PalmStriker
06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Excellent posts and translations, insightful ! :)

BPWT
06-20-2013, 04:51 AM
-------------------------------
Thanks to the translator and thanks to the poster.
Is there more?

I think there is another page to come :)

BPWT
06-20-2013, 04:53 AM
Its a common term in southern styles. Anyone saying that HFY "made it up" obviously didn't know much about southern gung fu!

Yes, not a new term at all. LT's Wing Tsun Kuen book mentioned it in the 70s, though as pointed out this is often/most commonly used as a generic term meaning from the wrist to the elbow.

LoneTiger108
06-20-2013, 05:54 AM
… That is that all Wing Tsun movements are from bong, tan, fook.

:) Probably THE most important thing highlighted in this particular interview/transcript from Ip Man.

Vernon
06-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Why is Pak Sau not listed as one of the fundamentals? On the drills (non Chi-Sau) I work almost everything initiates from the Pak.

k gledhill
06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Tan & Jum ( aka fook ) are punching techniques. Ergo they don't leave the centerline as Yip Man states " Bow String " interceptions are met on the centerline because we strike intercepting the center , creating " da sao jik siu sao " as each arm recycles in attack/defense , the arm in the lead " Lin sil di da ".
Even with terms and sayings, unless you know how to develop them and implement them outside chi sao in fighting, they are just empty words. It's amazing how many students make the mistake of NOT using Loi Lau Hoi Sung- Lat Sao Jik Chun.

LoneTiger108
06-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Why is Pak Sau not listed as one of the fundamentals? On the drills (non Chi-Sau) I work almost everything initiates from the Pak.

Paksau is the name of a 'technique'. It isn't a principle like the three seeds of Bong, Tan and Fook. But there must be other articles coming that may mention thinks like that too...

Vajramusti
06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Paksau is the name of a 'technique'. It isn't a principle like the three seeds of Bong, Tan and Fook. But there must be other articles coming that may mention thinks like that too...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pak sao is part of the fook family of motions.

k gledhill
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Pak is a Jum/fook energy, just at the end of the forearm of elbow. Jum/ fook is energy to the centerline and forwards.
If you think of Jum / fook elbow as the handle of short bullwhip energy, the pak being the tip of the whip.

Vernon
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. So now I see how Pak fits into the scheme of things. Am I right in I figuring that stuff like Jut Sao and Huen Sao fall under the "Fook Umbrella" as well?

Best,
Vernon

Vernon
06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Pak is a Jum/fook energy, just at the end of the forearm of elbow. Jum/ fook is energy to the centerline and forwards.
If you think of Jum / fook elbow as the handle of short bullwhip energy, the pak being the tip of the whip.

Using the idea that Pak Sao falls under the auspices of Fook energy, does that mean that one could consider Pak Sao to be a "major" technique of Ving Tsun?

I have a buddy who trains WSL VT who says that Pak Sao isn't used much. Its main use is to develop "timing." I don't see that. In JKD, which uses quite a bit of VT, we employ Pak Sao for lots of stuff to get things going. Therefore, it seems to me that even though Pak falls into the "Fook" family energy-wise, that one could consider Pak to be an important part of any VT system. This may be a small detail based upon semantics, but it's these details that help me to make sense of such a simple yet sophisticated art.

Many thanks.
V

tc101
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Tan & Jum ( aka fook ) are punching techniques. Ergo they don't leave the centerline as Yip Man states " Bow String " interceptions are met on the centerline because we strike intercepting the center , creating " da sao jik siu sao " as each arm recycles in attack/defense , the arm in the lead " Lin sil di da ".

That is one way to look at things I suppose another might be that tan and jum are actions in and of themselves hence tan sau and jum sau that can be combined with striking hence tan da and jum da. Sort of like how you can take a rising action and combine with striking to make a rising punch.

k gledhill
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Using the idea that Pak Sao falls under the auspices of Fook energy, does that mean that one could consider Pak Sao to be a "major" technique of Ving Tsun?

I have a buddy who trains WSL VT who says that Pak Sao isn't used much. Its main use is to develop "timing." I don't see that. In JKD, which uses quite a bit of VT, we employ Pak Sao for lots of stuff to get things going. Therefore, it seems to me that even though Pak falls into the "Fook" family energy-wise, that one could consider Pak to be an important part of any VT system. This may be a small detail based upon semantics, but it's these details that help me to make sense of such a simple yet sophisticated art.

Many thanks.
V

We use pak sao extensively, it's a major technique. I can see some wsl getting pak as a timing drill, we ( wsl pb vt ) don't do this because we see pak sao as part of an attack.
If you " chase hands " with pak saos it can be detrimental to loi lau hoi sung - lat sao Jik chun.

Iow I don't teach students to stand still slapping at chain punches. Why ? Because they lose conditioning to break out of retracting from contact that is ALSO retracting. Instead pak " chasing " hand slaps , for the sake of touching hands makes you worse ; ) subtle details that are lost in classes of hand slappers.

Some make a drill with pak turning into a punch but forget to add tactical logic for hand contact. Or ability to break into retractions of opponents hands because they lose focus on the goal for the sake of misleading drills.

Grumblegeezer
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Never heard it put that way, but it makes sense to me.

Say, didn't they make a movie about the Fook family? Meet the Fookers