PDA

View Full Version : Let's stir the pot

mantis7
06-22-2013, 03:52 PM
This a continuation thread of the high percentage vs low percentage techniques.

How do you define training against a resisting opponent?

Do you consider two man forms a tool for training against resisting opponents?

How do you train your high percentage techniques?

If anyone has videos of someone training against resisting opponents please post.

YouKnowWho
06-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Not only against full resist opponent. When it works twice in a role within 15 seconds, that's training and not luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2gLOWehvdg

mantis7
06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
YKW,

I agree with you on the idea if you can pull it off on numerous occasions idea but how do you define a fully resistant opponent?

The video you linked would usually fall under "kung fu" reverting to kickboxing.

This is the video from the Wutang site. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ycv7xqwdjZk

Would you consider this a fully resistant opponent?

Kymus
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
How do you define training against a resisting opponent?

When they punch, they recoil. When you attempt a throw or qinna, they pull back or otherwise try to get away. You could even add a level where they attempt to strike as a way of resisting.

Do you consider two man forms a tool for training against resisting opponents?

I think they're very useful, but I wouldn't call that a tool for training against a resisting opponent.

How do you train your high percentage techniques?

I think all techniques should follow three phases:

no resistance (learning)
some resistance (practicing)
full resistance (mastery of the technique)

YouKnowWho
06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
how do you define a fully resistant opponent? ... Would you consider this a fully resistant opponent?
If you are talking about combat skill "development", a full resistant opponent may not be a good idea. I assune "resist" means "don't give your opponent any opportunity". If your opponent always

- runs away from you, he will not help you to develop any striking skill.
- lies down on the ground, he will not help you to develop any throwing skill.

I don't like to play defense. I like to attack first. If my opponent attacks, I'll try to let him to run into my punch/kick (head on collision). If I can't do that, I'll back up and back up until I'm ready to attack. When I attack, how my opponent may response will determine how I should react.

In striking art, since you can't knock your opponent down, it's very difficult to train your "finish move". Without proper "finish moves", you will never develop your confidence in combat.

In throwing art, if you take your opponent down and you are on top, you know that you have advantege at that moment.

YouKnowWho
06-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I think all techniques should follow three phases:

no resistance (learning)
some resistance (practicing)
full resistance (mastery of the technique)

Agree!

More than just "no resistance", you even have to intentionally create a chance for your opponent. For example, if you always

- put weight on your leading leg, you can help your opponent to develop his "foot sweep".
- raise guard, you can help your opponent to develop a kick to your belly.
- drop guard, you can help your opponent to develop a punch to your face.

So far we are talking about "solo" skill development. When your opponent wants to train "combo", that's the time your full resistance will be helpful.

here is one example that your full resistance can help your opponent to develop combo skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_7fJS7Q7A&feature=youtu.be

Kymus
06-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Agree!

More than just "no resistance", you even have to intentionally create a chance for your opponent. For example, if you always

- put weight on your leading leg, you can help your opponent to develop his "foot sweep".
- raise guard, you can help your opponent to develop a kick to your belly.
- drop guard, you can help your opponent to develop a punch to your face.

So far we are talking about "solo" skill development. When your opponent wants to train "combo", that's the time your full resistance will be helpful.

here is one example that your full resistance can help your opponent to develop combo skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_7fJS7Q7A&feature=youtu.be

Great points, YKW!

When I was doing JKD, we learned a figure 4 wrist lock. We'd intercept a punch, apply it, and throw them to the ground.

I've practiced level 2 for years. Over a decade at this point. My partner can throw their punch as fast as they can and I will be able to apply the technique.

But in class, we never practiced at level 3. It's taken me a long time to understand why I could never apply this technique while sparring. It hit me later on: when someone throws a real punch, there's a recoil. My timing was based on them not recoiling.

addendum: looking at the video, I see what you mean. By working with a resisting opponent, you learn to play with a technique; not just how to use only that technique. Or like you said, combo.

Kellen Bassette
06-22-2013, 08:40 PM
It hit me later on: when someone throws a real punch, there's a recoil. My timing was based on them not recoiling.

Makes all the difference in the world....

Kymus
06-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Makes all the difference in the world....

Where were you a decade ago when I needed you to tell me that, bro? :mad:

Kymus
06-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I think it can also make a difference in how you spar.

I pretty much always spar without pads, no fists connecting to the face, basically everything else is fair game (though I wouldn't purposely knock the wind out of my opponent).

The problem with this is that I can develop a bad habit perhaps with my partner punching at me but not intending to connect.

I've always wanted one of those $800 riot padded police training outfits and just go crazy with a training partner. Of course, that stuff probably limits mobility, so I can't win.

Is the best way to use a face shield and some gloves? Is it better to spar in a variety of ways?