PDA

View Full Version : Which side will you pick?

YouKnowWho
06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
When you apply a "crescent kick", you can:

1. Let your body to pull your leg.

PRO: Your whole body is unified. You can use your body mass to generate maximum power.

CON: Your body move can easily telegraph your intention. If you miss your target, you may over committed.

2. Let your leg to pull your body.

PRO: No telegraph. If you miss the target, it won't affect your own balance.

CON: You may only use your leg power instead of whole body powr.

So which side do you think that you like to be on?

GoldenBrain
06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
I choose #1. Even if you telegraph it you can follow up with a snappy or thrusting front kick. I've never been pulled off balance with this kick and often use it just to set up a front kick.

-N-
06-24-2013, 09:50 PM

PRO: Your whole body is unified. You can use your body mass to generate maximum power.

CON: Your body move can easily telegraph your intention. If you miss your target, you may over committed.

You mean to use body torque to power the kick?

It doesn't have to telegraph if you use short force body snap and hide that in the natural relaxation of a preceding motion of a combination attack.

It will be like the answer to that question you always ask about "internal" kick.

You mean to power the kick with just the hip and leg muscles? And body might turn afterwards?

No thanks.

But with regard to power and missing the target, it depends on what you are trying to do. You adjust your power for the situation. If you mess up, you mess up.

YouKnowWho
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Here is a similiar argument. When a fly passes infront of your face, you try to smash it with both palms, do you let your

- body to push your arms? or
- arms to pull your body?

-N-
06-24-2013, 11:19 PM

If you connect, it may have no effect.

Are you just point sparring? :)

Here is a similiar argument. When a fly passes infront of your face, you try to smash it with both palms, do you let your

- body to push your arms? or
- arms to pull your body?

2 hands coming together is different than one kick going in one direction. You can use the body in a forward whip instead of a sideways torque.

That said, body connection is for speed and non telegraphy as much as it is for power.

-N-
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Here's Buakaw.

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=J58iTd2QoQM&

Not crescent kicks, but body connection with minimal telegraph, lots of speed, and plenty of power.

What's wrong with that?

-N-
06-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Here's Buakaw.

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=J58iTd2QoQM&

Not crescent kicks, but body connection with minimal telegraph, lots of speed, and plenty of power.

What's wrong with that?

This one.

http://youtu.be/J58iTd2QoQM

MasterKiller
06-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Crescent kicks have to be the stupidest idea ever.

Let's see, how can I create a kick that doesn't involve using hip torque AND also exposes my ankles to being broken/hyper-extended???

bawang
06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
no such thing as a crescent kick. its a back kick done badly.

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 07:04 AM

pin teui
baai lin teui

NOT back kicks, def TCMA technique

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Let's see, how can I create a kick that doesn't involve using hip torque AND also exposes my ankles to being broken/hyper-extended???

I can get plenty of power in mine and won't hurt my ankles at all

specific application, limited application, but not NO application....

SimonM
06-25-2013, 07:24 AM

I don't know about that. There's lots of stupid ideas in martial arts. :p
Crescent kicks are certainly up there though.

bawang
06-25-2013, 07:35 AM
pin teui
baai lin teui

NOT back kicks, def TCMA technique
bai lian tui is spinning back kick

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 07:37 AM
bai lian tui is spinning back kick

how do you figure?

Fu Mei teui is back kick
maybe Luhng Mei Teui is spinning back kick
Baai Lihn Teui is done in front of you

Jimbo
06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
You can lessen the need to over-telegraph with the body by doing a 'whipping' crescent kick; that is, starting with the knee bent/chambered, then extending the leg (almost) straight just before contact. Say you're doing an outside crescent...if your target is at 12:00, you extend your leg at 10:00, and either bend it slightly again at 2:00, of simply keep it extended the rest of the way through. It's best to keep a slight bend in the knee at 'full extension', even though it may appear straight at contact. If you make heavy contact, you may also return your leg along the same route.

If it's an outside crescent, if you *slightly* direct your knee outwards, it also adds some speed/torque, and noticeably lessens pressure on your knee/ankle during contact. I used to use it on the heavy bag and sometimes landed it in competition, and never hurt my knee, ankle, and never had it grabbed. If you do it right, it comes from a blind angle over the opponent's shoulder. I don't consider it a street technique, though.

I never used the inside crescent except as a low foot sweep.

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
also, if you are telegraphing or having trouble with balance you didn't learn it correctly or practice it enough.....

bawang
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
how do you figure?

Fu Mei teui is back kick
maybe Luhng Mei Teui is spinning back kick
Baai Lihn Teui is done in front of you

the movement is distorted from old man kung fu syndrome

if something doesn't make sense or seems strange in kung fu, its wrong. nothing in kung fu is "weird". kung fu is natural.

-N-
06-25-2013, 08:49 AM
If it's an outside crescent, if you *slightly* direct your knee outwards, it also adds some speed/torque, and noticeably lessens pressure on your knee/ankle during contact.

[...]

I don't consider it a street technique, though.

I used that for a knife disarm in the street one time.

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
the movement is distorted from old man kung fu syndrome

if something doesn't make sense or seems strange in kung fu, its wrong. nothing in kung fu is "weird". kung fu is natural.

what is weird or distorted about it?

mickey
06-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Greetings,

I choose both.

There is a time and a place for everything.

mickey

YouKnowWho
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Many crescent kicks can be seen in this clip. Onething for sure is if you can still do crescent kick at your 80, your body must be in excellent shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZOqQ49rGM

bawang
06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
what is weird or distorted about it?

hitting with the side of the foot

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM

so, AGAIN, how is it a "back kick".....

bawang
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
so, AGAIN, how is it a "back kick".....

because you face away from the opponent

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM

is there a reason you are being obtuse... other than being "bawang" I mean :rolleyes:

bawang
06-25-2013, 12:40 PM
is there a reason you are being obtuse... other than being "bawang" I mean :rolleyes:

I thought it would be obvious that forms distort movements.

ok you thought I meant that donkey kick in taekwondo. I meant like the ax kick. you know the heel kick. reverse roundhouse. (I gogle it out of great shame)

pazman
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
wtf is bawang talking about?

Back kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qLKGgNnB4)

Axe kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl-UfrzxNU)

Spinning / wheel kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2XmW72Uxis)

I consider crescent kicks to be "training kicks" but not fighting kicks, though I've known people who can use them while sparring. They are great for warming up, and loosening up your hips for axe kicks, roundhouse, etc.

When I was a teenager I broke a guys nose with a crescent kick at a tournament. :(

bawang
06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
longfist doesn't differentiate ax kick and heel kick, they are both called lotus kick.

spinning heel kick is called turn around lotus kick.

people confuse it for "crescent kick" which is a stretching exercise

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM

you must be well acquainted with this, as your type always runs like a wet dog from your adversary;

if you had true warrior spirit, you would never run

never

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
also, if you are telegraphing or having trouble with balance you didn't learn it correctly or practice it enough.....

if you have trouble with your balance, then you have not practiced enough "post standing"; only repeated practice of finding stillness will give you the power to send qi down into the ground

if you practice this properly for 10 years, you will understand

I give you my word on this

YouKnowWho
06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
After 10 years of training, if your crescent kick still can't knock off a matchbox on top of your head, you will need to find another teacher.

bawang
06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
After 10 years of training, if your crescent kick still can't knock off a matchbox on top of your head, you will need to find another teacher.

but jesus Christ is my teacher.

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
if you have trouble with your balance, then you have not practiced enough "post standing"; only repeated practice of finding stillness will give you the power to send qi down into the ground

if you practice this properly for 10 years, you will understand

I give you my word on this

gee thanks, I never knew that :rolleyes:

(/sarcasm)

YouKnowWho
06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Have you ever try to do this by putting a matchbox on top of your head and swing your leg back to knock the matchbox off your head - 倒踢紫金冠? When I was young, I tried very hard to be able to do this but I was not limber enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BLR7Terx2Bk

http://www.cngongfu.com/UploadFiles/pic/20121227101753493.jpg

Kymus
06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Many crescent kicks can be seen in this clip. Onething for sure is if you can still do crescent kick at your 80, your body must be in excellent shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZOqQ49rGM

I really like that form! What are the origins of Yanqing tui? What style(s) does it come from? I'm really interested.

YouKnowWho
06-25-2013, 02:05 PM
I really like that form! What are the origins of Yanqing tui? What style(s) does it come from? I'm really interested.

It's from the 燕青Yanqing (迷踪Mizon) system.

Kymus
06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
It's from the 燕青Yanqing (迷踪Mizon) system.

Yanqing style Mizonquan?

YouKnowWho
06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Yanqing style Mizonquan?
I believe Yanging and Mizon are 2 different names for the same style. It's like longfist style can also be called as northern Shaolin style.

Kymus
06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
I believe Yanging and Mizon are 2 different names for the same style. It's like longfist style can also be called as northern Shaolin style.

Gotcha, thanks

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
gee thanks, I never knew that :rolleyes:

(/sarcasm)

no, I don't think you do

you probably don't even believe in Internal arts

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM

and after 20 yrs if you can't knock the matchbook off with Empty Force power, your teacher will weep for you

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
no, I don't think you do

you probably don't even believe in Internal arts

Gene! I told you before, you need to set a better standard for the trolls on here

You're funny kid, now go play in the traffic while the adults talk... :rolleyes:

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
and after 20 yrs if you can't knock the matchbook off with Empty Force power, your teacher will weep for you

this guy's teacher

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
this guy's teacher

that is a fair likeness, except without the beard...

lkfmdc
06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
that is a fair likeness, except without the beard...

yes, Richard, or when you were at teh mineola school we just called you ****, you had that funky beard, and were doing Tai Chi in the park with the guy who claimed empty force, and we all laughed at you

bawang
06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
yes, Richard, or when you were at teh mineola school we just called you ****, you had that funky beard, and were doing Tai Chi in the park with the guy who claimed empty force, and we all laughed at you

Richard? you have the ........power word?

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

I think you have mistaken me for another; as I do not wish to contend, I will retire and bid you good evening; may the Buddah's light shine upon you from all directions;

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Richard? you have the ........power word?

the running dog returns?

perhaps the yellow-streak on your back reminds you of a faint ray of hope for redemption?

you will find nothing here but taste of bitter tea...

bawang
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM
hay babby

wat r u wearings

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
hay babby

wat r u wearings

ooooo

when u make the sexy talk, I run all soft in the soft underneath places...

unless you are joking; then so am I; maybe...

bawang
06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
ooooo

when u make the sexy talk, I run all soft in the soft underneath places...

unless you are joking; then so am I; maybe...

I pretend I am boxer rebel monk zhizhen. you are soft gentle nun mary. after lingchi your husband mister smith, I carry you into back of forest and do the bang bang bang in anoos.

I make liquid explosion no control.

Primalaxisguy
06-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I pretend I am boxer rebel monk zhizhen. you are soft gentle nun mary. after lingchi your husband mister smith, I carry you into back of forest and do the bang bang bang in anoos.

I make liquid explosion no control.

dude, WTF? that's some nasty shiite u talkin'

u better stop it before one of the RA's finds you and revokes ur rec room or TV privileges for a month...

I win

Kellen Bassette
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM

I'm on side 1. I want them to see my crescent kick, so they are distracted from what I truly intend to hit them with.

-N-
06-25-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm on side 1. I want them to see my crescent kick, so they are distracted from what I truly intend to hit them with.

Like Mel Gibson making Danny Glover dance like a chicken in Lethal Weapon 4...

mooyingmantis
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Neither inside, nor outside cresents should hit with the side of the foot. Doing that can cause injury to your knee over time.

Landing a good cresent kick requires a proper set up.

And John to answer your question, I prefer method #1.

wenshu
06-26-2013, 08:30 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/2548737_o.gif

lkfmdc
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
well, since you had to bring up billy jack.....

for years people still joke about taking off your cowboy boots so you can fight ..... can you miagine that kick WITH the boots :D

and it IS relevant to this discussion, kung fu (like Savate) is one of those rare martial arts where it is assumed you are wearing shoes.....

Jimbo
06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
well, since you had to bring up billy jack.....

for years people still joke about taking off your cowboy boots so you can fight ..... can you miagine that kick WITH the boots :D

Chuck Norris FTW!!
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2VogxPEQk&sns=em

MightyB
06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Chuck Norris FTW!!
:D

Dolemite Mutha Fudda!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1679573/dolemite-beat-dirty-cops-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4477055/dolomite-o.gif

Lucas
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
The business of insulting and issuing personal attacks should be like the drool of cows, it should stretch out a long time without end.

MightyB
06-27-2013, 06:09 AM
The business of insulting and issuing personal attacks should be like the drool of cows, it should stretch out a long time without end.

Smoking hashish with the Ancient One again?

MasterKiller
06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/hump-dar-30.jpg