PDA

View Full Version : Ryu, what Judo style did Kimura study?

KnightSabre
11-13-2001, 10:59 AM
Was it called Kadoken?
not sure of the word.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

brassmonkey
11-13-2001, 01:12 PM
My name isnt Ryu but I think its spelled Kodokan.

KnightSabre
11-13-2001, 02:06 PM
thanks Brassmonkey.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

Ryu
11-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Yes.

Kodokan was the school founded by Jigoro Kano back in pre WW2 Japan. The "first" judo guys were all affiliated with this school, as well as many different sects of Japanese jiu-jitsu as well.

Take care,
Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Piccolo Junior
11-13-2001, 09:54 PM
I thought Kodokan was the only style of Judo.

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art of someone who is too serious has no flavour."- Choki Motobu

Stranger
11-13-2001, 10:09 PM
There is also Kosen Judo. It is an offshoot of the Kodokan.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Yin Chuan
11-14-2001, 12:21 AM
The kodokan was founded in 1882 by jigoro kano as an amalgamation of the two styles of ju jitsu that he studied in his earlier years.Kitto Ryu(which contributed the throwing techniques),and tenshin shinyoryu(which contributed the holds,locks,and chokes-basically the newaza or matwork).The tenshin style was considered a more warlike and dangerous set of techniques and atemi was also part of the curiculum.Kano set out to distance himself from the other styles of jujitsu by adopting the principle of "maximum efficiency" or the technique had to work under stressful conditions and with as little "strength" as possible.If the technique did not fit this criteria it was discarded for a more efficient one thus kano came to the forefront with his next major innovation "randori" or free fighting in which two opponents face each other and utilize the techniques of judo to subdue the other.It is said that kano used greco roman wrestling as one of his models in formulating a safe competitive sport so randori could be practiced by all without permanent damage to each other.Atemi(or striking to vital area)was eliminated because of this but was still practiced by those more advanced practitioners.However every technique in judo other than atemi can be utilized in a randori situation thus making judoka very "efficient"at his art.A judoka will know what will work for him or her in a free fighting situation because he or she has done this numerous times in training.Now when I say free fighting I am talking about in the context of a randori situation under the rules of judo.Judo is also an olympic sport so it has a set amount of techniques which are recognized by its governing bodies just like boxing,greco roman wrestling,free style wrestling etc. :cool:

KnightSabre
11-14-2001, 08:22 AM
Ryu and the others who answered,
thanks for the explanations.
Would you say that the kodokan judo is similar to BJJ,without the throws though?

Ryu
11-14-2001, 08:36 AM
BJJ's "mother art" was judo...

I would say that Kosen judo more resembles BJJ since they spend much more time on the ground.

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Yin Chuan
11-15-2001, 12:05 AM
Alot depends on the school that you train at as well.Where I train alot of emphasis is placed on newaza or the ground game thus you have alot of people there that are very good on the ground.Some schools however because of the emphasis on competition and scoring in competition place a high premium on the standing throws.But judo is still judo and there are only a set amount of techniques it just depends on the emphasis and where its placed.The man that taught the first gracie was a judo(kodokan)practitioner.The gracies just took what was taught to them and ran with it.Nothing wrong with that.They were innovators.Helio Gracie was a smaller man but was very strong at his ground game which sort of evened the odds a little for a smaller man.I find it interesting that my coach who is also a smaller man also concentrates on his ground game. :cool: