PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

Kymus
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
For those unaware, Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming started what essentially is a Kung Fu boot camp 5 years ago in northern California called the YMAA RC (http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/) (Yang's Martial Arts Association Retreat Center).

It's pretty rad what Dr. Yang has done. He set up a 10-year program for students to become fully certified in Long Fist, Southern White Crane, and Yang style Taiji. The curriculum includes other things like Chinese language, guns, projectile weapons, horseback riding, Chinese history, business. Here's the full set-up (http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/full-time-program/10-year).

The disciples (they become disciples of his at the beginning of the 10-year program) have to go through a crap ton of body conditioning. I think that makes up the bulk of what they do each day. They are tested each semester on fitness and things like finger/hand speed (for qinna). They also train 5 1/2 days a week :eek:

To help the RC make money to support itself, Dr. Yang had the disciples put out two (http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/external/kung_fu_body_conditioning_dvd) DVD's (http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/kung_fu_body_conditioning_2) on body conditioning and showed them how to edit it and everything.

All in all, I think it's an amazing program! Though it's not all sunshine and roses up there. Dr. Yang has invested a lot of hist own money in to the RC and says that if it can't support itself by the program's end (5 years from now) that he's shutting it down.

He did recently start a 5 year program and from what I understand, it's basically the same except a lot less body conditioning.

I think it's so awesome what Dr. Yang is doing and it'd be great if another master from the old-school set up something similar. Unlikely to happen, but it would be nice.

If I was perhaps 10 years younger and thought I would make a living off of Kung Fu, I'd totally sign up. But... that's not the case :p

Really, though, I hope that Dr. Yang's program is successful and he is able to keep the next generation's skill and knowledge on par with what we're used to seeing from the old-school.

edit: I forgot to mention that the disciples enrolled in the 10 year program will graduate with a legit Master's Degree in Martial Arts

Orion Paximus
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I was very interested until I saw the age restrictions. [/bonerdeflatesound]

Kymus
06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it's really meant for young people (18 - 25 I think), but I believe one of the guys that signed up for the 5-year program is in his low-30's

Eventually I'd like to go there for a visit for 2 weeks. It's not cheap (~$1000 I think + airfare) but it'll be a great learning experience.

Addendum: One guy is 31, another is 37 (http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/full-time-program/students)!

xcakid
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Isn't there only half of the people left studying from the orginal group(10yr program). That is quite a commitment. I remember reading about it when it started.

I also like that they included firearms training. Let's face it, swords and spear are obsolete in street confrontations these days. :D

MightyB
06-28-2013, 12:58 PM
It's a very interesting experiment. I want to see if there's a huge skill level difference between someone who's into a discipleship program such as this vs someone who's committed to a regular martial lifestyle that's also balanced with a real life.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Isn't there only half of the people left studying from the orginal group(10yr program). That is quite a commitment. I remember reading about it when it started.

I also like that they included firearms training. Let's face it, swords and spear are obsolete in street confrontations these days. :D

You know, I'm not sure. I read the two blogs that are available to completion and neither mention anything about anyone dropping out.

I'm curious how that sort of thing is handled. Do students pay up front? To quit after going through the discipleship ceremony is a big no-no :(.

Interestingly, the 5-year program cadets don't become disciples until graduation.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
It's a very interesting experiment. I want to see if there's a huge skill level difference between someone who's into a discipleship program such as this vs someone who's committed to a regular martial lifestyle that's also balanced with a real life.

I'm curious as well, B.

But notice how there are no courses in flaming or posting pictures on KFM? These kids aint got nothin' on you :p

YouKnowWho
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
During my high school year, I had used my summer time to train

- 6 days weekly, and
- 6 hours daily.

After 3 months of such training, I could feel a big diference. In college, I also jointed in a longfist class with different teacher (GM Han Ching-Tan's son) but from the same teacher's teacher. That teacher's comment to me was, "You are a class A student. All my students here are only class B students". Apparently the summer time serious training does make big difference.

MightyB
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
But notice how there are no courses in flaming or posting pictures on KFM? These kids aint got nothin' on you :p

D@mn Straight! That shiite takes practice!

SPJ
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
During my high school year, I had used my summer time to train

- 6 days weekly, and
- 6 hours daily.

After 3 months of such training, I could feel a big diference. In college, I also jointed in a longfist class with different teacher (GM Han Ching-Tan's son) but from the same teacher's teacher. That teacher's comment to me was, "You are a class A student. All my students here are only class B students". Apparently the summer time serious training does make big difference.

agreed.

wish that YMAA offering mini programs or mini retreat for a few weeks.

like summer camp and winter camp.

Most people will like that

since we all have school or job or real life, family and such.

:cool:

Kymus
06-28-2013, 02:29 PM
agreed.

wish that YMAA offering mini programs or mini retreat for a few weeks.

like summer camp and winter camp.

Most people will like that

since we all have school or job or real life, family and such.

:cool:

In the future, they may. I know he has the disciples teach classes locally and they set up a Skype teaching program as well (:eek:) but I think that's to help the place make money (and it gives them experience with teaching).

Like I had said, 2wks of training = ~$1000 (you could save some money if you decide on less comfortable sleeping options).

I know Dr. Yang's son recently signed up for the program (I am not sure if he's gonna be doing it for 5 years or 10).

I'm curious how Dr. Yang set up certain body conditioning goals. Really, the whole program must've been a challenge to set up.

I forgot to mention in my original post (I'll fix that in a min) that the 10 year program is accredited and the disciples will get a Master's degree in Martial Arts.

YouKnowWho
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
we all have school or job or real life, family and such.

A reporter asked Li Ao, "Do you have any regret in your life?" Li said, "My regret is I don't have enough girls in my life." The reporter then asked, "But you have more than 50 girls in your life include your movie star wife, famous singer, ...?" Li said, "If I didn't spend 15 years in prison for polictics reason, I would have more girls."

When Li was 72 years old, He told reporters that he stopped dating girls. Before that, his definition of girls had to meet the following categories:

- tall,
- skinny,
- white,
- pretty,
- young (any girl over 18 is too old for him).

I admire his love life big time. For those students that Dr. Yang has, their number of girls count in their life must be low.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I admire his love life big time. For those students that Dr. Yang has, their number of girls count in their life must be low.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If they're in a 10-year program and they're training 6 days a week, that's not exactly easy to juggle a relationship with.

GeneChing
06-28-2013, 03:00 PM
See this thread. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43924) Dr. Yang and several of his disciples came out for TCEC & KFTCD (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64253) again this year. In fact, Jonathan Chang, one of the first disciples, was our poster boy for the 2013 TCKFMC. I was at the first disciple ceremony and I know several of those guys. They are developing some serious skills.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, Michele mentioned a few things from your book......... so when is it gonna be available in the Kindle store? :mad:;):p

I'm glad to hear that they're developing nicely. We need people to lead the way and set a standard once the old generation is completely gone.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I was at the first disciple ceremony and I know several of those guys.

Waitaminute... how'd you get on the guest list, Gene? Who've you been drinkin tea with, huh?? :(

bawang
06-28-2013, 05:42 PM
id love to train every day all day, but I aint a dumass that pays a nobody 100k to do it.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
id love to train every day all day, but I aint a dumass that pays a nobody 100k to do it.

You drink from the cup of Dr. Yang and you get knowledge of how to fly like crane and how to win ancient Chinese battle. :p

bawang
06-28-2013, 05:48 PM
You drink from the cup of Dr. Yang and you get knowledge of how to fly like crane and how to win ancient Chinese battle. :p

100k man. think about it. how the fuk do these teens even come up wit the money.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
100k man. think about it. how the fuk do these teens even come up wit the money.

I know one of them is doing Kickstarter or something. Really, she's bustin her @ss to make money. I salute her ambition and dedication.

bawang
06-28-2013, 05:57 PM
I know one of them is doing Kickstarter or something. Really, she's bustin her @ss to make money. I salute her ambition and dedication.

its a horrible waste. imagine how much kfc and meth u can buy wit that money.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 05:58 PM
its a horrible waste. imagine how much kfc and meth u can buy wit that money.

lmao... Bawang, you're talking to a life-long non-smoker/drinker/drug-user and I gave up fast food* in 2007 :p

*Root Beer drive-ins don't count ;)

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:02 PM
his students are gonna have a great time after they "graduate" working as janitors at mcdonalds

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:09 PM
his students are gonna have a great time after they "graduate" working as janitors at mcdonalds

Why so pessimistic Bawang? They're given schooling on business and they are given money to start a school of their own (and they spend time teaching there as well).

They should at least be at the level of Shake Shack (which I also do not consider to be fast food and is amazing, if anyone has never been to one :p)

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Why so pessimistic Bawang? They're given schooling on business and they are given money to start a school of their own (and they spend time teaching there as well).

They should at least be at the level of Shake Shack (which I also do not consider to be fast food and is amazing, if anyone has never been to one :p)

are you a crack baby or have fetal alcohol syndrome, cuz its obvious this day and age nobody is gonna learn kung fu, not mention pay money for it.

the myth is over. people know its a dance. nobodys gonna pay money day in day out for a dance.

they could've signed up for wrestling or boxing tryouts at a college and learned under world famous coaches, and got paid scholarship for it.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
are you a crack baby or have fetal alcohol syndrome, cuz its obvious this day and age nobody is gonna learn kung fu, not mention pay money for it.

the myth is over. people know its a dance. nobodys gonna pay money day in day out for a dance.

if they trained for free wit a good inspiring teacher who isn't greedy they would've at least improved their character and got something.

1) What happens when you spend only 10% of your time in class actually fighting? You get pwnd. I just got done trying to explain this to an MMA troll kiddie on YouTube over the past few days.

My foundation is built off of JKD, Muay Thai, and Escrima. In JKD and MT, we spent the majority of time doing pad work. With Escrima, everything was a partner drill.

I trained for a few months at this real traditional school. Teacher had a legit lineage to a few different masters from Taiwan; one of them made him the inheritor of the art. Majority of the time spent in class was doing forms. The only sparring we did was point sparring. It was a joke, even though the guy's a USKS hall of famer and stuff.

What happens when you spend 90% of your time dancing? You're only going to be a good dancer. It's not the Kung Fu. It's the way it's trained today.

2) Dr. Yang - despite questions of how much he's making off of this - is a very good teacher with a lot of knowledge. These kids train their @sses off, bro. 6 days a week.

We'll see how they turn out. I'm optimistic about the whole thing, personally.

You wanna bet dinner bro? You goin down!

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
2) Dr. Yang - despite questions of how much he's making off of this - is a very good teacher with a lot of knowledge. These kids train their @sses off, bro. 6 days a week.

I train 7 days a week.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I train 7 days a week.

I train 8, what's your point?

and how about dinner? 5 years bro; I'm catchin' a flight to you and I'm getting some free dinner for winning the bet ;)

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:37 PM
I will also show you why my xiong mao chuan is way ahead of your cute and cuddly wombat style, but that's another topic.

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I dance 90% of the time. I train for health and culture. I don't pay 100k like a moron.

some people pay bodybuilder women to punch them in the balls. some people pay giant chocolate men to bang their wife. some people pay 100k for dancing lessons.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:44 PM
You don't feel it's worth your money, then? That's fine, man. I'm not making any money off of saying how I think it's great.

Different goals, I guess. Different vision. Whatev.

I'd pay that much to train with Dr. Yang (assuming a number of life factors for me were different) or Pan Qing-Fu even, and get a complete transmission of knowledge.

I'm in it for the fight; the survival. At the end of the day, it's important to me to know that I can handle myself and that's why I've always had an open sparring policy. That's what's important to me.

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:46 PM
You don't feel it's worth your money, then? That's fine, man. I'm not making any money off of saying how I think it's great.

Different goals, I guess. Different vision. Whatev.

I'd pay that much to train with Dr. Yang (assuming a number of life factors for me were different) or Pan Qing-Fu even, and get a complete transmission of knowledge.

I'm in it for the fight; the survival. At the end of the day, it's important to me to know that I can handle myself and that's why I've always had an open sparring policy. That's what's important to me.

I have lived on 5-10k a year since 10 years old. 100k to me is an unimaginable amount of money. I cant imagine handing it over to some fukin Taiwanese whoc ant even spell his own name right, to learn some forms and do some pushups.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I have lived on 5-10k a year since 10 years old. 100k to me is an unimaginable amount of money. I cant imagine handing it over to some fukin Taiwanese whoc ant even spell his own name right, to learn some forms and do some pushups.

http://dorrys.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/different-strokes-e1284939087619.jpg

bawang
06-28-2013, 06:56 PM
with 100k I can buy Jessica alba for one night. I can buy 50 thousand kfc chicken legs.

KungFubar
06-28-2013, 06:57 PM

you can get a permit for a gun. Can you get a permit for a spear?

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:02 PM
you can get a permit for a gun. Can you get a permit for a spear?

Probably not :p

but I could be wrong!

I think it depends on the state, ultimately. In Pa you can carry a gun and conceal carry. In NJ you can't have a pocket knife (I asked a cop on that one, since the rumour was it was OK if the blade was shorter than your palm width).

KungFubar
06-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I dance 90% of the time. I train for health and culture. I don't pay 100k like a moron.

some people pay bodybuilder women to punch them in the balls. some people pay giant chocolate men to bang their wife. some people pay 100k for dancing lessons.

dude, I dont need to work abs, I just read your posts it make me laugh so hard.. .ahhahahahhahhah great humor!! You can make 100k in comedy .. what are you waiting for.. its your true talent.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:04 PM
with 100k I can buy Jessica alba for one night. I can buy 50 thousand kfc chicken legs.

..and now we see Bawang's true goals in life.. womens and kfc

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
..and now we see Bawang's true goals in life.. womens and kfc

this is not your goal? you are the loolee loolee?

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
dude, I dont need to work abs, I just read your posts it make me laugh so hard.. .ahhahahahhahhah great humor!! You can make 100k in comedy .. what are you waiting for.. its your true talent.

First there was Shaolin Soccer (http://www.hulu.com/watch/284544), now there's Shaolin Stand-Up Comedy.

Bawang is our resident overly-sarcastic, borderline offensive comedian.

Dude Bawang. I think he's right. You're in the wrong biz. You should travel from school to school doing skits (of course, they'll probably hate you by the time you're done...)

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
First there was Shaolin Soccer (http://www.hulu.com/watch/284544), now there's Shaolin Stand-Up Comedy.

Bawang is our resident overly-sarcastic, borderline offensive comedian.

Dude Bawang. I think he's right. You're in the wrong biz. You should travel from school to school doing skits (of course, they'll probably hate you by the time you're done...)

im not trying to be funny. im just telling the truth. kung fu is a joke. and yangs students, having wasted their youth, are jokes.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
this is not your goal? you are the loolee loolee?

WTF is a loolee loolee? :confused:

You boozin it tonight, bro?

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:12 PM
WTF is a loolee loolee? :confused:

You boozin it tonight, bro?

if ur heart were in touch with the colored peoples, you would understand.

I don't know what kind of rich bourgeois gated community u come from, but no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
if ur heart were in touch with the colored peoples, you would understand.

My cousin-in-law (I've got no siblings) is a member of the colored people tribe :p

I don't know what kind of rich bourgeois gated community u come from

When I moved to NYC, I lived in Dyker Heights. Mostly Chinese community. But still, on more than one occasion, some gang members got arrested right outside my bedroom window.

I'm not from the hood, but I'm not from any rich neighborhood either.

but no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

What are the most important things in your life? For me, Kung Fu has always been one of them. I think TCM will be #2.

For me, exceptional Kung Fu is priceless. That's just me. You feel that a never-ending bucket of KFC is priceless. Different strokes, bro ;)

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:25 PM
What are the most important things in your life? For me, Kung Fu has always been one of them. I think TCM will be #2.

For me, exceptional Kung Fu is priceless. That's just me. You feel that a never-ending bucket of KFC is priceless. Different strokes, bro ;)

you dont get it do you? you cant buy kung fu. you cant buy honor.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:31 PM
you dont get it do you? you cant buy kung fu. you cant buy honor.

Sifu's need food too.

the 1900's called. They said the 1800's check bounced and now you gotta pay money if you want to learn.

I've taught a handful of people for years in my backyard for free. I just liked to teach. But I also had no intention of doing Kung Fu as a sole career. A few dudes gave me money and I used it towards some equipment.

Multiply my skill by about 50 and you got the old skool dudes. Lots of them pay their bills with money from students. I've got no problem paying my Sifu.

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Sifu's need food too.

the 1900's called. They said the 1800's check bounced and now you gotta pay money if you want to learn.

I've taught a handful of people for years in my backyard for free. I just liked to teach. But I also had no intention of doing Kung Fu as a sole career. A few dudes gave me money and I used it towards some equipment.

Multiply my skill by about 50 and you got the old skool dudes. Lots of them pay their bills with money from students. I've got no problem paying my Sifu.

the 70s is over. the fad is long gone. you can never make successful business from kung fu again.

Kymus
06-28-2013, 07:38 PM
the 70s is over. the fad is long gone. you can never make successful business from kung fu again.

Stop pullin my titties :mad:

SoCo KungFu
06-28-2013, 07:54 PM
I can already balance a check book, ride a horse, speak and write English, made a 5/6 in analytical writing on the GRE, passed art appreciation in college, have a degree in biology (nature), can treat traumatic injuries better than he can, the military already taught me to shoot, sent me to leadership school, and made me an NCO. Do I get transfer credit?

Through what board is this program accredited through? That is more important than that it is accredited.

Might be fun. But here's the problem. Lock yourself up for 10 years training to fight in isolation with people learning to move exactly like you.

bawang
06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
its about your own hard bitter labor, your own journey to be a stronger version of yourself. that's why paying 100k is useless. sure the sifu can tell you some poems and history, but you finish learning all that in less than a week. theres nothing for him to teach or show you, its all up to yourself. chan is about finding the profound in the simple.

u would expect them to become martial legends by now, but if u look at their 2012 movie they can barely make a heavy bag wobble. so I don't know if they got their moneys worth.

Kellen Bassette
06-28-2013, 08:07 PM
but no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I never thought I would see the day you would blaspheme like this....

:mad::(

YouKnowWho
06-28-2013, 09:11 PM
TCMA is priceless. it cannot be measured by money. The fun will be with you for the rest of your life.

I assume $100,000 is for 10 years. That's $10,000 a year and $833 a month. Where can you get for $833 a month that include room, board, and fun.

SoCo KungFu
06-29-2013, 01:48 PM
TCMA is priceless. it cannot be measured by money. The fun will be with you for the rest of your life.

I assume $100,000 is for 10 years. That's $10,000 a year and $833 a month. Where can you get for $833 a month that include room, board, and fun.

Not disagreeing with you. But considering you really aren't working much through this 10 year period to bring in some income, the actual impact on overall state of wealth is more than the $833/month would indicate.

KungFubar
06-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Not disagreeing with you. But considering you really aren't working much through this 10 year period to bring in some income, the actual impact on overall state of wealth is more than the $833/month would indicate.

true its the cost of the program plus the money you ARENT earning. as saving money is making money, not making money is losing money. so even if the program was free you would be losing money. Unless you barely make enough money to eat sleep and pay rent. Then its a hella bargain because kung fu lessons are also included. Sweet!

IronFist
06-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Heck yes, I've made two threads about this over the years:

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43924

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51747

Kymus
06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks Iron Fist!

Gene linked to your first thread, which had some interesting discussion.

I gotta figure out how to get on to the mailing list; I don't see a link on the website :confused:

Have you been reading the two blogs?

IronFist
07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
No, I didn't even know there were blogs.

What sort of social experiences are these students getting? Looking back at college, yeah I learned a lot, but the whole social aspect was probably the most important, and I don't mean partying.

Is it just 10 students living in a building somewhere? Do they interact with other, non-kung fu people? Do they go to social venues and get away from it all?

IronFist
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
The first vid on the first body conditioning page said not available in my country (USA) :(

The rest worked.

I question the use of snappy movements with wrist weights. Isn't that pretty much universally accepted as a bad idea? Of course I don't know the context of what is being shown in this clip, so it may be something that isn't a regular part of training.

Note that this is different from using the iron rings that slide around on your arms.

IronFist
07-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Why does "current students" only have 3 students listed?

IronFist
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
This goes back to my social interaction question.

This is from the application (http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/files/student_app_jan12.pdf).

Kymus
07-02-2013, 04:34 AM
No, I didn't even know there were blogs.

What sort of social experiences are these students getting? Looking back at college, yeah I learned a lot, but the whole social aspect was probably the most important, and I don't mean partying.

Is it just 10 students living in a building somewhere? Do they interact with other, non-kung fu people? Do they go to social venues and get away from it all?

They go grocery shopping and stuff. Dr. Yang sent them to town to network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess). They teach classes up there to locals; I think it's just kids (well, I don't think that's a rule. I've just read about them teaching kids). Then sometimes people from other YMAA places will fly in and they'll all train together.

They're really not as isolated as people think.

Kymus
07-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Why does "current students" only have 3 students listed?

I think the others must've dropped out. I know YMAA.com mentioned in another thread that one student had visa issues, another got real sick and missed a lot of classes or something, and another got in to a car accident and suffered spine and nerve damage. But I don't know who dropped and for what reason.

Empty_Cup
07-02-2013, 04:40 AM
They go grocery shopping and stuff. Dr. Yang sent them to town to network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess). They teach classes up there to locals; I think it's just kids (well, I don't think that's a rule. I've just read about them teaching kids). Then sometimes people from other YMAA places will fly in and they'll all train together.

They're really not as isolated as people think.

They should have an open-door sparring policy with the whole country...that would be interesting

Kymus
07-02-2013, 04:42 AM
This goes back to my social interaction question.

This is from the application (http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/files/student_app_jan12.pdf).

I'm pretty sure that's because they don't have a lot of time during the week for phone calls. I've never read anything about them being somehow discouraged from talking to anyone (you can reply to any of their blog posts, and they'll reply back). One of the disciples mentioned how there isn't a lot of free time to do things, and I assume that when there is free time, just just want to rest because they're probably tired and sore as he!!.

Kymus
07-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Here are their blogs:

A Rabbit and a Dog (written by John (10yr) and Michelle (5yr))
http://ymaajam.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-crane-shirt-designs.html

Kung Fu Diary (written by Javier (10yr))
http://kungfudiary.livejournal.com/20141.html

MightyB
07-02-2013, 05:11 AM
...network with local businesses to make a commercial for them (for free) as part of their video training (so they can make instructional videos, I guess).

I think it's cool that digital design and video production are part of the future of kung fu mastery. That means people like me and design Sifu have a jump on all you beyatches!

Maybe I'll start Adobe Creative Suite Fu as an extension to the traditional classes. It's very Jing Wu. ;)

Kymus
07-02-2013, 05:25 AM
I think it's cool that digital design and video production are part of the future of kung fu mastery. That means people like me and design Sifu have a jump on all you beyatches!

lol, Dr. Yang will find something else for you to do :p

One of the disciples can speak Chinese, so Dr. Yang is making him study the characters instead. :D

David Jamieson
07-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Maybe I'll start Adobe Creative Suite Fu as an extension to the traditional classes. It's very Jing Wu. ;)

Not to burst your bubble, but adobe creative suite kind of removes any of the skill required to produce digital art.

Used to be a time when one did manual layup work and you actually had to be a trained artist and designer. Nowadays? nah, a year with CS and you can do anything you like with minimal hard skills to back it up. Weird... But truly, that's how it is.

Old days of photoshop, a drop shadow actually took a little effort to produce and you HAD to have an eye. Nowadays? Nah, pretty much any shmuck can bang out really good designs.

That's why I switched out of digital illustration and went back to painting old school. Less people are able to paint with oils and acrylics and so, that is worth more to me. What can I say.

anyway... just saying... :)

bawang
07-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but adobe creative suite kind of removes any of the skill required to produce digital art.

Used to be a time when one did manual layup work and you actually had to be a trained artist and designer. Nowadays? nah, a year with CS and you can do anything you like with minimal hard skills to back it up. Weird... But truly, that's how it is.

Old days of photoshop, a drop shadow actually took a little effort to produce and you HAD to have an eye. Nowadays? Nah, pretty much any shmuck can bang out really good designs.

That's why I switched out of digital illustration and went back to painting old school. Less people are able to paint with oils and acrylics and so, that is worth more to me. What can I say.

anyway... just saying... :)

its about face to face interaction. you can actually receive the spirit of the teacher.

mantis7
07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Looks like ten year long after school program for kids? This is most definitely a fantasy camp nothing more.

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
He's selling a fantasy, and at the end of 5 or ten years what do they have? Are they all planning to be professional kung fu instructors? Well, good luck at that, because the industry is changing and if that IS the intention, he'd better be teaching them about BUSINESS, not caturing flies with chopsticks

Real TCMA people for the most part lived WITHIN society, those who did not were the "monks" or so poor they lived such a misearable life out in the boonies... like my sifu who was an orphan in a tiny monastery getting beaten half to death every day and barely eating enough to live.... wow, isn't that "glamorous" :rolleyes:

mantis7
07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Umm wait. I have a question. Did he initially front the money for all the land and structures? Because if he didn't, he found a perfect way to use donation to build himself the perfect retirement home.

Even if he breaks even and the project fails, if all property and assets are under his name then he comes out golden.

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Umm wait. I have a question. Did he initially front the money for all the land and structures? Because if he didn't, he found a perfect way to use donation to build himself the perfect retirement home.

Even if he breaks even and the project fails, if all property and assets are under his name then he comes out golden.

I don't know any of the details, this is purely a guess

Dr Yang was HUGE in our community and in the industry, I am sure he made a LOT of money and ca afford to buy land and build facilities

I also think he is actually dedicated to this idea, I just think it is mis guided... I have had several experiences with Yang like this, he means well but isn't that connected to reality....

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 08:27 AM
no kung fu is worth 100k. not even david ross.

:mad:

you know that puppy you wanted to X-mas? NO WAY NOW!

GeneChing
07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Are they all planning to be professional kung fu instructors? Well, good luck at that, because the industry is changing and if that IS the intention, he'd better be teaching them about BUSINESS, not caturing flies with chopsticks He actually is teaching them about business. And considering that Dr. Yang built one of the biggest TCMA empires in America single-handed, he has a lot to say about that aspect.

you know that puppy you wanted to X-mas? NO WAY NOW! Dude, get a shelter dog. Much cheaper and better karma. ;)

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 09:10 AM
He actually is teaching them about business. And considering that Dr. Yang built one of the biggest TCMA empires in America single-handed, he has a lot to say about that aspect.

I am glad to hear he doing that, though my caveat that the industry is changing is still valid

recent business conference noted that some of the "big names" of the 1980's and 1990's went out of business or were doing badly in the "modern age"

As I already said, knowing Yang a bit, I'd say he is sincere, but it is a bit of a fantasy camp

Kymus
07-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Looks like ten year long after school program for kids? This is most definitely a fantasy camp nothing more.

How do you come to this conclusion? The guys there train their @sses off 6 days a week and you compare this to an after-school program for kids?:confused::confused: That makes no logical sense.

Kymus
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Word is that Dr. Yang invested all of his savings in to the RC. If it can't break even after the 10 year program is over, he's going to sell it.

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 09:32 AM
How do you come to this conclusion? The guys there train their @sses off 6 days a week and you compare this to an after-school program for kids?:confused::confused: That makes no logical sense.

I compare it to a fantasy camp because you don't need to live like that to learn kung fu, and the value of living like that is really questionable to begin with

I question separating yourself from the real world for 5 to 10 years to MAYBE have a school... considering the industry has SHRANK 50% in the last 10 years, what if it dosn't work out for you?

For every Yang, there are at least 50 guys whose schools closed

Kymus
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I compare it to a fantasy camp because you don't need to live like that to learn kung fu, and the value of living like that is really questionable to begin with

Well, no, you don't have to live in the mountains, but that's where the land is, right? I mean, the goal is to produce students that get a full transmission of the arts and the knowledge behind them along with a high level of physical skill. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Yeah, you don't have to learn horseback riding, projectile weapons, or music, but Dr. Yang feels that these are important skills. I guess he feels it important to temper their souls (for lack of a much better, not-so-wish-washy word) and make/mold them in to genuine people.

I guess it's up to what else other than Kung fu one feels is important to learn.

I question separating yourself from the real world for 5 to 10 years to MAYBE have a school... considering the industry has SHRANK 50% in the last 10 years, what if it dosn't work out for you?

We'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic since they're being taught business and they're given money to start their school. We'll see.

I guess we have different definitions of what is a "fantasy". When I call something a fantasy, I use it to mean that it's not real. What you're saying is that they may not be successful in business (you also mentioned that there are other ways to learn, but I don't know if you mean "learn good Kung Fu" in general, or to have a (again, pardon the wishy-washy-ness here) complete transmission of knowledge).

IronFist
07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that's because they don't have a lot of time during the week for phone calls. I've never read anything about them being somehow discouraged from talking to anyone (you can reply to any of their blog posts, and they'll reply back). One of the disciples mentioned how there isn't a lot of free time to do things, and I assume that when there is free time, just just want to rest because they're probably tired and sore as he!!.

I'm not talking about talking to people on the internet. I'm talking about going out and interacting with real people without being weird so that when prospective students come to your school after you graduate you don't drive them away by being awkward.

Chatting with people online is a form of communication but it is not a replacement for actual social interaction. Just ask all the basement dwellers who have social anxiety.

If the only people they are talking to is each other, they're going to be awkward when they rejoin the real world. Are they learning how to talk to women? Are they learning how to not be weird? Are they learning how to have fun and not be serious all the time? Can they talk about anything other than kung fu?

Unless you are a huge introvert nerd who writes software that makes a ton of money, a large part of your success in life is related to how you get along with others. At job interviews, do they like you? If you're running your own school, do your students like you? etc.

Please note none of this may even be an issue with this program. I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying it sounds like there is minimal social interaction with outsiders, especially since the application asks you if you can reduce contact with friends and family, and that's not necessarily a good thing even if you learn great kung fu in the process.

I have had several experiences with Yang like this, he means well but isn't that connected to reality....

Details?

While I think this thing is a cool idea for hardcore students, I tend to agree with your statement.

They are being immersed in something that may not have that much actual real world value, and in the process may be missing out on things that may have more value.

I'm not saying kung fu is useless or a waste of time. I'm saying spending 33 hours a week (I think that's what the website said) training may be a bit much and probably does not have a linear payoff.

If they are going to open a kung fu school, then yes, this is probably a good way to prepare.

I question separating yourself from the real world for 5 to 10 years to MAYBE have a school...

Agreed.

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Details?

Dr Yang's original art is Fukien White Crane. I am sure most people know already that Fukien White Crane is in NO WAY related to Tibetan Pak Hok or the Lama and Hop Ga lineages

When Yang first "made public" his Fukien White Crane training, he understandably also published articles about it.... What was inexplicable (to us especially) was he would then throw into those articles what was purported to be history of the Tibetan / Lion's Roar / Si Jih Hao lineages

The material was not only inaccurate, it was downright bizarre! He had our si-gung living 200 years earlier than he did, he had him training at Shaolin Temple in Henan, etc etc etc

It was just flat out WRONG, and several letters were written to the magazine that published them pointing out the mistakes.

I know for a fact that Yang read these letters and was made aware that the Pak Hok, Hop Ga, Lama Pai and Tibetan lineages were not happy with these articles. Yet, even after this, he continued to republish the same incorrect material

I had an opportunity to sit down with Yang at one of Jeff Bolt's events. He was always pleasant and we sat down at one of the tables in that huge lobby in the convention center part of the hotel where the tables for vendors were set up.

I asked him why he was publishign history of TIBETAN pak hok when his art was Fukien White Crane... he said with great sincerity that he believed he should educate the public on all aspects of TCMA

To me it was illogical, it wasn't his area, but I do believe he believed he was doing a good thing

I noted to him that his "version" was not only in contrast with the histories of the Si Jih Hao lineages, it was just plain WRONG... We knew exactly when our si-gung lived. And if he had lived 200 years earlier he wouldn't have been our si-gung!

Yang seemed rather perplexed by the conversation at this point, he had a source he claimed! I asked him his soruce and he said something in Mandarin that I didn't quite catch, so I asked him "what is that"

And, I swear to G'd this is what he said, that it was a soap opera that had run on Taiwanese TV....

I asked him why (1) he'd take a soap opera as a legit source of info and (2) why he would think it is better info than the information carried by the actual lineage holders???

He didn't answer me, but he did stop publishing that "history" of our si-gung

Kymus
07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm not talking about talking to people on the internet. I'm talking about going out and interacting with real people without being weird so that when prospective students come to your school after you graduate you don't drive them away by being awkward.

Well they teach classes for locals and it seems like every once in a while someone flies in there to train with them. They also go with Dr. Yang to teach seminars.

Do they go out and socialize? I have no idea. They're certainly free to do so, but I'd imagine that they're too d@mn tired to do so.

Every year they go back home for summer break.

If the only people they are talking to is each other, they're going to be awkward when they rejoin the real world.

I really don't think this will be a problem. Call me naive, but I don't think they're as separated from the world as everyone thinks they are. They go shopping, they talk to students, they can do whatever they want in their free time, they go home for a few months every year, they train with people from other places, etc.

Are they learning how to talk to women?

Doubtful. But Michelle visited a handful of times before signing up for the 5yr program. She wasn't scared off by them, so I guess they're not creepers or nothing. But as for their ability to meet women? Who knows.

Are they learning how to not be weird?

They were at the recent Tiger Claw tournament. I'm fairly certain that Gene's spoken to a few of them.

Are they learning how to have fun and not be serious all the time?

From their videos and their blogs it seems like they not serious all the time.

Kymus
07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Ross, I'm curious if you feel that there are many other errors Dr. Yang makes when talking about history? I'm curious, since he does talk and write about it a lot, I believe.

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Ross, I'm curious if you feel that there are many other errors Dr. Yang makes when talking about history? I'm curious, since he does talk and write about it a lot, I believe.

I know that he has taken stuff written in Chinese sources, translated it, published it and not cited the original sources... understandable if you get his "world view" about making as much available to the world as possible...

I have heard rumblings about issues with those he worked with on past projects, but just rumblings

Kymus
07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I see, so at best, what he talks about as history may not necessarily be from personal research and it may not be from first hand accounts (ie: something his teacher taught him).

Thanks

IronFist
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I really don't think this will be a problem. Call me naive, but I don't think they're as separated from the world as everyone thinks they are.

Cool.

Yeah, I didn't want to imply anything but it kind of has a feeling of "no contact with the outside world training 24/7 for 10 years" which I don't think would be a good thing, although I think some kung fu students would be interested in that.

Lucas
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
The true value of a project like this is measured only within oneself. If the student finds value, and continues to find value, that is all that really matters. If they are not concerned with the 'issues' people on this forum have brought up, that completely voids the argument as to whether their efforts are worthwhile or not.

As the saying goes; 'one mans trash is another mans treasure.'

Kymus
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
The true value of a project like this is measured only within oneself. If the student finds value, and continues to find value, that is all that really matters. If they are not concerned with the 'issues' people on this forum have brought up, that completely voids the argument as to whether their efforts are worthwhile or not.

http://i.qkme.me/3q07ub.jpg

:p

lkfmdc
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM

:eek: ..........

David Jamieson
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM

/thread

yep, that pretty much sums it up from my point of view.

YouKnowWho
07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
We have to admit that TCMA lovers have to be "crazy". May be some people are "crazy" enough but others are not.

bawang
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM

so why they cant make the heavy bags move

MightyB
07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/238/e/2/The_Dude_Abides_by_Lenimentus.jpg

MasterKiller
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM

http://i.imgur.com/gMBz8.gif

SoCo KungFu
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
So no one knows if I get transfer credit? :(

Anyways,
I have to agree with Ross, its fantasy. Why? Buddha didn't find his way sitting in a palace, he had to get out into the world to see the death of his people before he realized what the world was about. And then, he went among the people and taught.

The spirit of boxing isn't found in some isolated camp where people remove themselves from the world. Its found in inner city gyms with leaky pipes and bags that smell that wonderful mix of sweat stench and too much bleach.

These stories of people going into the woods, or the mountains or wherever and training in isolation for XXXX time, or meditating for XXXX days straight are just that, stories. Its a myth. It may be interesting but its folklore, nothing more.

If they enjoy it all, cool. But you can't forge a sword without fire. Trying to mold a "genuine" human "soul" in the absence of human distraction is a misplaced use of effort.

Its like these people that go off to live in the woods because they say its a more natural existence. I ask, what's the difference between a sky scraper and an ant mound? Nothing. Its two species both using materials to create an environment that betters existence for their species. Both are equally products of nature.

Kymus
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM

I bet he's got bigger guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRHDfZpplo) than a wombat in a heliochopper

pazman
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
The spirit of boxing isn't found in some isolated camp where people remove themselves from the world. Its found in inner city gyms with leaky pipes and bags that smell that wonderful mix of sweat stench and too much bleach.

These stories of people going into the woods, or the mountains or wherever and training in isolation for XXXX time, or meditating for XXXX days straight are just that, stories. Its a myth. It may be interesting but its folklore, nothing more.

Don't tell Muhammad Ali or Mas Oyama!

(I actually agree with you for the most part though)

bawang
07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
I bet he's got bigger guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRHDfZpplo) than a wombat in a heliochopper

no, my son. he does not. that's whats so sad abut it. I don't even train srs

Lucas
07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
I learned everything I know about life from Bugs Bunny.

http://www.morethings.com/fan/roger_rabbit/mickey-mouse-bugs-bunny-113.jpg

YouKnowWho
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Just about 3 weeks ago, I took HW 101 from Pismo Beach all the way up to Crescent City, California. Did know I was that close to YMAA Retreat Center.

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/about/location

Kellen Bassette
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM

My gym floods every time it rains, it's always damp and dirty. It isn't any more romantic than training in the woods getting ate to death by mosquitoes. Although I think you should do both, too many people have a real disconnect with nature..can't be healthy...

But you got to get out, the people I know who've lived in the woods for years tend to be a touch crazy, but I guess so are most the other folks I know...

SPJ
07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
10 years of dedication of training in isolation.

Most of us can not afford that time wise.

Job, family and other persuits.

--

:(

Kymus
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Hung Gar summer camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-4lQD0oTM).

I wonder how this would work?

It's a lot harder for adults since we need our regular paycheck to cover for regular bills; especially rent, utilities, and phone service.

bawang
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Hung Gar summer camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-4lQD0oTM).

I wonder how this would work?

It's a lot harder for adults since we need our regular paycheck to cover for regular bills; especially rent, utilities, and phone service.

lol adult summer camp

do they sell adult diapers too

Kymus
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
lol adult summer camp

do they sell adult diapers too

For you, they just may!

But until they start handing out adult diapers, what do you suggest they do differently?

What should a teacher offer to their students who are dedicated? Come over to Sifu's house and train there?

Srsly bro.

bawang
07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
For

What should a teacher offer to their students who are dedicated? Come over to Sifu's house and train there?

why not

unless u got dead Nigerian prostitutes buried ther

Kymus
07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
why not

unless u got dead Nigerian prostitutes buried ther

well for one, it's not as easy to set up training equipment unless Sifu's got a gigantic backyard.

bawang
07-03-2013, 04:35 PM
well for one, it's not as easy to set up training equipment unless Sifu's got a gigantic backyard.

u sound like u need NASA gadgets to train kung fu. a bag a pole and a squat rack. dun need big space

Kymus
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
u sound like u need NASA gadgets to train kung fu. a bag a pole and a squat rack. dun need big space

So you're saying that the equipment you saw in the video is completely worthless and will benefit students in no way?

YouKnowWho
07-03-2013, 09:26 PM
The "weight pulley" will need a lot of space to set it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3yBHQKH-E&feature=youtu.be

IronFist
07-04-2013, 07:34 PM
The "weight pulley" will need a lot of space to set it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3yBHQKH-E&feature=youtu.be

Or you could just do dumbbell rows which takes way less space, although it doesn't have that cool ancient Chinese training feel:

http://strongworkout.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/4940bbb1fefab52122e3735cc4fee2.jpg

bawang
07-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Or you could just do dumbbell rows which takes way less space, although it doesn't have that cool ancient Chinese training feel:

traditional kung fu do dis wit stone lock

YouKnowWho
07-04-2013, 09:54 PM

http://strongworkout.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/4940bbb1fefab52122e3735cc4fee2.jpg

It's the "quick pull and quick release - shaking" that can be developed by using the weight pulley. TCMA training equipments are not always used to develop muscle and strength. Some are used to develop a certain "function".

The pulling is one part of the training. The releasing is the other part of the training. With long rope, if you release it fast, you will create a wave form on your rope (this is why the rope has to be long). When the weight finally dropped, it will pull yor body forward unexpectedly. It's like someone pull you and shake you in wrestling. If you are used to that kind of body shaking, you will develop better natural resistence to against it. Without training partner, I have not found any other modern training equipment that can help me to develop this kind of "natural resistence" yet.

At 1.32, 4.38 of the following clip, the body shaking is used. It's one of the most important skill to use in jacket wrestling when your opponent is bigger and heavy than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E

The following modern pulley may be able to help you to develop the pulling. It cannot help you to develop the release because the rope is too short. That's why a large open back yard will be needed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/7906/weightpulley5.jpg

Kymus
07-05-2013, 04:22 AM
At 1.32 of the following clip, the body shaking is used. It's one of the most important skill to use in jacket wrestling when your opponent is bigger and heavy than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E

That was really cool! Personally, I'm all for open weight divisions. I think people should train to adapt, regardless of the opponent.

MightyB
07-05-2013, 05:52 AM

I've always liked resistance bands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7rM46tkDc) for this type of training.

You don't need a partner, you can use almost any immovable object.

IronFist
07-05-2013, 11:27 AM
If that rope pulley training were more effective than squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc., then professional fighters would be training that way.

It's more authentically Chinese, and it might be fun to pretend you're in a kung fu movie, but it's not really giving you any skills that a guy who can deadlift 300 pounds for reps won't have.

It might make you better at some technique that doesn't work on resisting opponents, however.

wenshu
07-05-2013, 12:42 PM
If that rope pulley training were more effective than squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc., then professional fighters would be training that way.

It's more authentically Chinese, and it might be fun to pretend you're in a kung fu movie, but it's not really giving you any skills that a guy who can deadlift 300 pounds for reps won't have.

It might make you better at some technique that doesn't work on resisting opponents, however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJlN29tBxY

IronFist
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
The guy in the other vid wasn't doing battle ropes.

I've read mixed reviews about how effective they are, anyway.

wenshu
07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UGfvunmfB8k#t=172s

Same basic principle. A downward pulling movement with an element of resistance against vibration/shock. The ropes allow for more of a cardio element than you might see with the weighted pulley/rope.

GeneChing
07-08-2014, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwas18-Hmo0

lkfmdc
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Their form play is really good... but unless I missed it, I didn't see any demonstration of application? That's really the problem I have with CMA these days, preserving movement, not preserving the fighting tradition in any way

GeneChing
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
...but I don't think they are fielding any fighters that might enter the ring or the cage at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3iQXE-PlA

lkfmdc
07-08-2014, 04:25 PM
...but I don't think they are fielding any fighters that might enter the ring or the cage at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3iQXE-PlA

thanks Gene, well, at least it is a real two man set, with some good content....

not everyone has to actually fight in a ring or cage, but learning martial arts, you should learn something martial

Faux Newbie
07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
What system is that two-person empty hand form from?

Mor Sao
07-09-2014, 10:25 AM
What system is that two-person empty hand form from?

it said it was from Taijiquan.

bawang
07-13-2014, 01:54 PM
*be tighety whitey/banana trying to find his "roots"
* pay 100k dollar to taiwan grad school dropout
*perform limp forms infront of 5 confused pedestrians after 10 years of rigorous and methodical hardcore training
THIS IS WHAT I WAS BORN DO TO

yang jwing ming needs to move on to training olympic athletes. he has power to nurture golden godlike champions at will. a living treasure like this can change the fate of the world forever. out of ten thousand, perhaps there is one like him. he needs to be contacted by DARPA, the supersoldier program needs him.

GeneChing
06-09-2015, 10:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuzQwSRPIU

MarathonTmatt
06-09-2015, 10:39 PM
The guy in the other vid wasn't doing battle ropes.

I've read mixed reviews about how effective they are, anyway.

I can see the type of power that battle ropes will train... designed to deliver the same kind of force that will knock somebody over... at least thats what it looks like.

other good exercises to work your core that don't use typical gym equipment- cart wheel-baroughs full of wood logs back and forth up an incline/ hill in the snow- leg muscles/ core. load it up and make sure you don't slip or fall.

shovel snow. shovel neighbor's snow. shovel snow again (X10)

lift up heavy rocks and carry them around to different places (above head, etc.). do squats with heavy rocks. throw heavy rocks as far as you can. kneeling stance- splitting heaven/ earth w/ a heavy rock. also the whole "throw and catch" conditioning w/ bricks.

split firewood with an axe/ maul. swing it correctly.

stack bales of hay. shovel horse poo. rake a garden bed with a hoe.

carry loads of wood/ tree limbs/ thorns on your back/ head (especially supported on head if you can) supported by arms. walk it a quarter mile to the town dump grounds. no dragging on the ground allowed. must be supported by head or back weight. repeat. make sure to challenge yourself w/ the weight load.

self-train yourself to run a marathon.

just some ideas from yard work, working on a horse farm/ exercise, etc.

also when i worked produce in grocery store- on feet all day- but, lifting potato/ onion box/ apple/ banana/ etc. not too heavy like construction but not light-weight either. also need a co-ordination/ "softness" when handling the product to hand-stack the product on display in an efficient/ time effective manner (do not bruise the fruit). can even do a nice "single whip" palm when taking banana/ (plucking the stem) etc. out of box and onto the display.

hah. i dunno. just making some of my work experience/ yard work fun. just goes to show what bawang is sort of saying, also.

i also recomend bicycling around to different places, like to the beach. works legs/ core also (especially on hills). years ago i actually did about half a dozen organized rides that were 100 miles each (and of course like running a marathon u must build up to do this). some were in the mountains, like in the white mountains of new hampshire.

there also used to be an old man in my town, the "can man." he would collect bottles and cans all day and walk himself a few towns over to the mega recycling center. he would carry several very large trash bags full of cans and bottles all day. that guy was strong, he lifted it all above his head.

David Jamieson
06-11-2015, 11:32 AM
*be tighety whitey/banana trying to find his "roots"
* pay 100k dollar to taiwan grad school dropout
*perform limp forms infront of 5 confused pedestrians after 10 years of rigorous and methodical hardcore training
THIS IS WHAT I WAS BORN DO TO

yang jwing ming needs to move on to training olympic athletes. he has power to nurture golden godlike champions at will. a living treasure like this can change the fate of the world forever. out of ten thousand, perhaps there is one like him. he needs to be contacted by DARPA, the supersoldier program needs him.

Tell us what you really think.
lol

no seriously, this is pretty funny in and of itself.
But I don't want to encourage the bawang. :D

GeneChing
02-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for SAI: Fundamental Training DVD autographed by Nicolas C. Yang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstakes-sai-fundamental-training-dvd.php) from KungFuMagazine.com! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 2/18/2016.

Nicolas is more than a disciple of Dr. Yang. He is his son.

bawang
02-07-2016, 12:15 AM
i cant understand how after 4 years of rigorous training this guy has the muscularity of a black woman who goes to planet fitness once a week. and hes performing the form like i did when i was 14 year old. looking at yang babas new buddha belly it looks like he has been putting his students tuition to good use.

mickey
02-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Greetings,

bawang,

They might be overtraining or there may be a change of emphasis in the curriculum. I had the chance to see some footage of Yang Sifu's students back in the 80's. They had good strong builds. It seemed that the Shaolin Long fist curriculum had emphasis at that time.

I remember when the late Donn F. Draeger wrote about the importance of rest in strengthening the body. I did not believe him for a moment. I am lucky to be still alive given the way I trained back then. It was maniacal.

mickey

GeneChing
02-22-2016, 11:15 AM
See our WINNERS-SAI-on-DVD-by-Nicholas-Yang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69315-WINNERS-SAI-on-DVD-by-Nicholas-Yang) thread.

David Jamieson
02-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Greetings,

bawang,

They might be overtraining or there may be a change of emphasis in the curriculum. I had the chance to see some footage of Yang Sifu's students back in the 80's. They had good strong builds. It seemed that the Shaolin Long fist curriculum had emphasis at that time.

I remember when the late Donn F. Draeger wrote about the importance of rest in strengthening the body. I did not believe him for a moment. I am lucky to be still alive given the way I trained back then. It was maniacal.

mickey

Over training is a bit of a myth. Incorrect or improper training is more likely what people refer to as over training due to a lack of ability to recover or to recuperate from training. If you are resting adequately, eating adequately and changing your routine adequately, then over training is remarkably rare.
Frequency of Training and time spent training don't have to set you back when you follow a correct plan.

these days, it is not difficult to find a good method and thereby, you only become subject to over reaching, but not to over training.
Those days are gone for the most part. I say for teh most part because there is still a percentage of people out there doing it old school and unfortunately, that can often mean doing it wrong.

mickey
02-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Greetings,

Overtraining IS improper training. It is no myth. I did it. Dancers do it. Maybe you have never done it.

Good Gosh! You are so anal.

mickey

bawang
02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
how the hell do u overtrain in kung fu

mickey
02-22-2016, 12:39 PM
how the hell do u overtrain in kung fu

Answer: By being a kung fu fanatic

Not my words:

Overtraining can be described as a point where a person may have a decrease in performance and plateauing as a result from failure to consistently perform at a certain level or training load exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness.

mickey

PalmStriker
02-22-2016, 12:45 PM
:) Pushing the envelope (Laws of Bio-mechanics) is the best way to over-train and learn about recovery time.

Jimbo
02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
When the subject of overtraining comes up, I think of those who do lots of hard labor for a living. Lots of dock workers, farmers, iron workers, movers, or some in construction, etc., who do many of the same general activities virtually every day, and are often freaky strong because of it. Often with practical strength that would surprise many non-laborers who only strength train in a gym. They don't have the option of resting on alternate days.

Obviously, if you're talking about specialized weight training regimens, then of course, you shouldn't train the same muscles the same way every day.

In terms of MA, over the years I discovered that while plenty of training is important, I'd rather train smarter as opposed to in extremely large quantities, especially as you get older. Before I had many adult responsibilities, I did the quantity thing. "If a lot is good, then more is better" mindset. When you do that, you also hit the ceiling more often, where you lose enthusiasm for training. Good indications you need a break and a reset to your routine.

David Jamieson
02-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Greetings,

Overtraining IS improper training. It is no myth. I did it. Dancers do it. Maybe you have never done it.

Good Gosh! You are so anal.

mickey

I've trained improperly.
Sorry If I rankled your day.
I was simply pointing out the fallacy of the idea of over training.
It's about as common as people that really do need gluten free diets. :)

It's old thinking that has been shown to be incorrect.
Like many things we find in fitness or training or martial arts nowadays.
There is more knowledge now and a whole lot less of it is anecdotal.

IronWeasel
02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
When the subject of overtraining comes up, I think of those who do lots of hard labor for a living. Lots of dock workers, farmers, iron workers, movers, or some in construction, etc., who do many of the same general activities virtually every day, and are often freaky strong because of it. Often with practical strength that would surprise many non-laborers who only strength train in a gym. They don't have the option of resting on alternate days.

This.

Every martial arts student should have to step out onto the mat with an untrained opponent who has been working as a mover for a year.

Instant reality check.

GeneChing
06-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Dr. Yang was at KFTC25 AF (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69762-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-FESTIVAL-May-19-21-2017-San-Jose-CA) and invited me to the 10 year graduation next year since I was there for the initial baisee. I hope it works out in my schedule.

Open Letter from Dr. Yang (https://www.ymaaretreatcenter.org/single-post/2017/06/01/Open-Letter-from-Dr-Yang)
June 1, 2017

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c665f8_878e74d899e545c8a3e6134ea901d97d~mv2_d_3456 _2304_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_290,h_193,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c665f8_878e74d899e545c8a3e6134ea901d97d~mv2_d_3456 _2304_s_2.webp

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Time passes so quickly. It has already been eight and a half years since I moved here. The 10-Year, 9-Year, and 5-Year program students will complete their training in June of 2018. Upon graduation, they will continue to develop their teaching careers and futures.

In 2005, I saw a rare opportunity to make the center a reality and knew I had to give it my best shot. Although I knew that it would be a big burden for me to dedicate so much of my time, energy, and savings to a project so far away and so new, I decided to still pursue it. It was an exciting time of trying to make my dream a reality. However, I greatly underestimated the difficulties of training in Western societies, today’s modern lifestyles, and unforeseen challenges. Contrary to my original vision, the environment and training schedule could not be the same as in ancient times. We had to constantly adapt and adjust to keep searching for the right balance of training, work, and rest.

Although some of their achievements have fallen short of what I had originally envisioned, the core group of students are not without positive results. They have worked together to analyze the material, improve their teaching skills, and encourage each other to grow as students and as people. This center has been one of very few of its kind. I hope the experiences, hardships, and lessons that we endured can help other similar programs and centers develop in a stronger way in the future.

I will continue to offer seminars at the Retreat Center through the summer of 2018. The center will remain open until the 3-Year Program concludes in June 2019. At that point, it will most likely close and the property will be sold.

Truthfully, I don’t want to see the center close. I spent 10 years searching for this location. It is an exceptional place with amazing Fengshui. My life’s work has been dedicated to preserving and passing down traditional martial arts and Qigong knowledge through books, media, and classes. The full time training program has been a dream of mine for many years, and I was hoping to materialize and embody as much of that knowledge as possible in the students of the center.

The bulk of the center’s annual expenses are in facilities maintenance, taxes, and insurance. The majority has been funded by my life savings and seminar income, followed by tuition from students and donations from outside sponsors. If we acquire enough funds to keep the center functioning, I will be able to offer seminars at this location beyond 2019. However, I cannot bear this burden alone, especially since I will soon be too old to travel and teach. With the right staff and support, we might be able to keep the center open for a few more years.

I would like to thank all of those who have supported the center in the last eight and a half years. They have touched all of us here deeply. Without them, we would not have been able to accomplish so much and offer such unique training experiences to our many visitors. We are extremely grateful to all of you.

As I will be turning 73 when the last full-time program completes in 2019, I believe that I should be thinking once again about my retirement. I will keep working and teaching, but I cannot travel and teach like a young man anymore. Whatever I do and wherever I will be, I hope to still see and hear from you.

Sincerely,
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

Orion Paximus
06-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Although some of their achievements have fallen short of what I had originally envisioned, the core group of students are not without positive results.

Ouch. I think Yang Jwing Ming set his sights too young. Most kids that age don't know what commitment is or even what they want out of life. I've been doing Kung Fu for 25 years, but I don't think I really committed to what it was asking of me until my late 20s-early 30s.

GeneChing
11-03-2017, 12:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6GBnEy0SE

YMAA Disciples (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66183-Is-anyone-else-paying-attention-to-the-YMAA-Retreat-Center-program) @ KUNG FU TAI CHI 25TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69762-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-FESTIVAL-May-19-21-2017-San-Jose-CA)

Orion Paximus
11-07-2017, 11:54 AM
The crazy thing to me is that after all this time, they still look like they're just going through the motions. Where is the fire? Where is their sense of enemy while performing? I dunno maybe it's just burn out, but their hearts just don't seem to be in it.

rett2
11-07-2017, 01:27 PM
The spear vs sabre routine was pretty cool I thought. Don't know how much unfeigned intent you can put into jabbing a metal spear head at your training partner's face but they made it look pretty ok. In movies they'd edit it to look rawer.

Orion Paximus
11-08-2017, 12:30 PM
The spear vs sabre routine was pretty cool I thought. Don't know how much unfeigned intent you can put into jabbing a metal spear head at your training partner's face but they made it look pretty ok. In movies they'd edit it to look rawer.

I agree about the saber/spear set, I had stopped the video prior to that when I commented. As for the rest, it all just seems pretty rote given the amount of time they've spent training, but I also know they're learning music, hanzi, etc., not just kung fu.

bawang
11-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Is this a joke? This is ten years of training?

GeneChing
12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
If you ever dreamed of getting away from it all just to train, read Why the Mountain? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1392) by Dr. Robert J. Woodbine.

Jimbo
01-06-2018, 11:28 AM
I believe that following one's dreams is a good thing. However, IMO 100K for a 10-year KF course is a LOT much. If the disciples who come into it are rich, or trust-fund kids from rich families who want to follow their KF dream, that's reasonable. But if one is looking to make a career out of promoting KF, it's a hard sell. If one pays and studies to become (for example) a doctor and stays with the course, there's a very reasonable likelihood that he/she will get a job and get a return on their investment. But IMO it would be very hard to get a return on one's investment of spending 5 or 10 years in a secluded, monastic KF program, even one as extensive as this one reputedly is supposed to be. It's not as if the general public is clamoring to learn traditional KF. So if one's goal is to become a big-time KF teacher/promoter, I wish them luck, but it's going to be hard, IMO. Most places I'm aware of are MMA territory (including BJJ, MT, etc.). Now it seems that almost everybody and his/her grandmother wants to be/thinks of him/herself as a professional 'cage fighter'. The non-MMA that still seems in demand is Krav Maga. Most 'traditional' MA schools like karate now (seem to) cater almost exclusively to the kiddie crowd. Traditional KF is a tough sell and at the bottom of the list.

After over 4 decades in MA, I haven't spent even a fraction of 100K.

rett2
01-07-2018, 01:15 AM
I've long been curious about how much the teacher/owner of the retreat school was actually present and teaching on a day to day basis. And at times when he had to be away, were arrangements made for other paid and qualified instructors to guide the students? These are very important issues, I think.

Orion Paximus
01-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Come to Kung fu Magazine Forums for the Kung Fu talk, stay for the wack job socioeconomic commentary

mickey
01-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Greetings,

It is always a good thing to have a place where you can really go deep with your practice. Sometimes your school will not suffice; sometimes, your home will not suffice. What Yang Jwing Ming has not considered with his YMAA Retreat Center is he can widen the scope of opportunity to others. That is, he can offer the space to other schools and disciplines who would willingly pay for the opportunity to take their own students to such a place to train intensely for a couple of weeks. He can offer up the place to yoga practitioners, dancers, people on that spiritual path who could enjoy the solitude the place may offer. To put it simply, there is MUCH money to be made if Yang Jwing Ming would think about the needs of others. He could attach the condition that his students could participate without paying a fee, offering them opportunity to see and experience other things, thereby, enriching their practice.

mickey

Jimbo
01-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Greetings,

It is always a good thing to have a place where you can really go deep with your practice. Sometimes your school will not suffice; sometimes, your home will not suffice. What Yang Jwing Ming has not considered with his YMAA Retreat Center is he can widen the scope of opportunity to others. That is, he can offer the space to other schools and disciplines who would willingly pay for the opportunity to take their own students to such a place to train intensely for a couple of weeks. He can offer up the place to yoga practitioners, dancers, people on that spiritual path who could enjoy the solitude the place may offer. To put it simply, there is MUCH money to be made if Yang Jwing Ming would think about the needs of others. He could attach the condition that his students could participate without paying a fee, offering them opportunity to see and experience other things, thereby, enriching their practice.

mickey

Not a bad idea, mickey. Actually, that sounds a bit like what the Esalen Institute in Big Sur was. I highly doubt that Yang would go for that. Unless, perhaps, he reaches a point where nobody new is signing up for his program.

A BIG problem I see with his isolationist method is application ability. IME, it's ****-near impossible to become really effective by shutting out the world and only training with, or sparring against, the same methods with your same classmates. Without outside exposure to different people and their different ways of fighting, growth becomes difficult, and their 10 years of training may not equal one year of training on the outside. Because in such an isolated environment, it's easy to become stagnant and/or complacent/overconfident. This is a big deal during a student's developmental stages.

Of course, if their focus is strictly on the art (gong, forms, etc.) and culture, then that may not be a concern to them. However, if the purpose of the program is to show that TCMA has greater depth, and can hold its own with the rest of the more popular martial arts, traditional AND 'modern', it SHOULD be a concern.

mickey
01-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Greetings Jimbo,

I agree with you. That is why opening up the school to other schools would enable the students to experience other things. Yes, that would include other methods of fighting. The students would only gain from that kind of experience. The ten year model is a demanding one and requires a level of sacrifice that few are willing to make. The step that Yang Jwing Ming took was a bold one and it should encourage us to try to find better ways to achieve the goal he envisioned.

mickey

bawang
01-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Greetings Jimbo,

I agree with you. That is why opening up the school to other schools would enable the students to experience other things. Yes, that would include other methods of fighting. The students would only gain from that kind of experience. The ten year model is a demanding one and requires a level of sacrifice that few are willing to make. The step that Yang Jwing Ming took was a bold one and it should encourage us to try to find better ways to achieve the goal he envisioned.

mickey

How about taking mma lesson for 150 dollars a month instead of peasing away your dads money?

MightyB
01-30-2018, 08:20 AM
I believe that following one's dreams is a good thing. However, IMO 100K for a 10-year KF course is a LOT much.

Sheeeiiiiit. For that kind've scratch, you could be a live in student of one of the top names in BJJ, earn a black-belt, and then open a school in any mid-size or bigger city and charge all kinds of money for instruction.

You're right - the ROI on Yang's endeavor just isn't worth it.

MightyB
01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
I feel sorry for the kids in Deng Feng and Shaolin. That's their full-time education and life. How small it is in a big world of opportunity. Dr. Yang seems to forget his own path and that's probably why he's disappointed. Martial arts should compliment your life, not be your life. Some of the best martial artists I know have some type of graduate degree. I think that's more indicative of a type of personality that one would want. Someone who's looking to isolate themselves on a mountain to immerse themselves in an esoteric martial art for 10 years... that person probably has issues. Deep deep issues.

Jimbo
01-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Agreed.

Apparently, Yang does not realize that such an extremely sequestered life to totally immerse in MA is unnatural. People have certain reasonable, natural inclinations, and suppression of them creates obsession. When there is no outlet, most people will rebel in some way, and ultimately leave the program. Then what? Maybe now they're completely turned off about kung fu and either give up MA altogether, or go into a completely different MA. Not a smart way to promote the benefits of a kung fu lifestyle.

Perhaps Yang himself is a control freak and seeks to have 100% control without any input from others.

What would be embarrassing is if a 10-year graduate from Yang's program decided to 'play hands' with some aggressive kid with one month of boxing training and finds out his 10 years never prepared him for that in any way whatsoever. I'm really trying not to be so negative about it, but something like that is a very possible scenario.

bawang
01-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Agreed.

Apparently, Yang does not realize that such an extremely sequestered life to totally immerse in MA is unnatural. People have certain reasonable, natural inclinations, and suppression of them creates obsession. When there is no outlet, most people will rebel in some way, and ultimately leave the program. Then what? Maybe now they're completely turned off about kung fu and either give up MA altogether, or go into a completely different MA. Not a smart way to promote the benefits of a kung fu lifestyle.

Perhaps Yang himself is a control freak and seeks to have 100% control without any input from others.

What would be embarrassing is if a 10-year graduate from Yang's program decided to 'play hands' with some aggressive kid with one month of boxing training and finds out his 10 years never prepared him for that in any way whatsoever. I'm really trying not to be so negative about it, but something like that is a very possible scenario.if I had 100k I would hire mike Tyson to coach me for 1 day. 1 day with mike Tyson beats 10 years with this guy. I wouldn't train with him for ten years for free.

Jimbo
01-30-2018, 02:04 PM
if I had 100k I would hire mike Tyson to coach me for 1 day. 1 day with mike Tyson beats 10 years with this guy. I wouldn't train with him for ten years for free.

Good post. Although I'd rather have the 100K than to be coached even by Mike Tyson.

I do believe that Yang Jwing-Ming has truly legit skills, even if I'm not interested in his teachings or his styles. I just don't believe they're worth 100K and 10 years of confinement.

Faruq
03-20-2018, 08:07 PM
I met a guy who went there for shorter periods like month long or semester long stays and for what it's worth he said that you get a way different perspective on how to do a technique when you work it for 8 hours a day. Second, I know a guy who took out a student loan to study with a master for 5 years for a similar amount. Well he says he did, but I can't figure out how he fudged the paperwork to do it. But that's pretty much what someone would have to do unless they were a master grant writer and get the grant to study at the retreat center as part of something like cultural anthropology ha ha.

GeneChing
01-03-2019, 08:34 AM
READ Challenges in Preserving Traditions in Modern Times: Lessons learned from a multi-year martial arts training program By Michelle Lin in our WINTER 2019 issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1446). Available digitally too via Zinio (https://www.zinio.com/publisher/kung-fu-tai-chi-m5078).

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine//images/mcover/201901winter.jpg

GeneChing
01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Is Taiji too slow? READ Yang Taijiquan at Medium Speed (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1463) by Michelle Lin

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/9332_20190205_MichelleLin.jpg

THREADS:
Yang Style Tai Chi (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68112)
Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66183)

This piece is in conjunction with 'Challenges in Preserving Traditions in Modern Times: Lessons learned from a multi-year martial arts training program' By Michelle Lin in our WINTER 2019 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1446) issue.

mooyingmantis
01-12-2019, 10:06 PM
One of my students has gone to Shifu Yang's camp for short term summer qin-na seminars. He loves it! This summer will be his third year, I believe.

GeneChing
02-06-2019, 10:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyvPl-6VAAAq2M6.jpg

THREADS
Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66183)
WINTER 2019 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1446)

Jimbo
02-06-2019, 10:35 AM
As long as Dr. Yang is able to pass his whole knowledge down to (or divide it among) a few disciples who themselves will be teaching, he'll have easily reached his goal. That quote of his sounds identical to what Adam Hsu was saying back in the '80s.

CMA is a tough sell nowadays, but hopefully there will always be somebody who is willing and able to learn it. It won't ever happen on a grand scale, though. If it survives, it will do so in pockets.. Ironically, that might possibly keep the quality higher than mass dissemination would have.

wolfen
03-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Something must have gone wrong - I previously saw on his site he had new sponsorship and programs running til June 2023
I think it's just unaffordable in California. Too bad for his dream

The YMAA CA Retreat Center Property (https://www.ymaaretreatcenter.org/) is up for sale immediately for occupancy starting September of 2021

​The Center property encompasses a secluded 243-acres in the mountains of Northern California. The Center lies on a mountain peak in the center of a valley at an altitude of 1050-feet and is surrounded by mountain peaks that range from 1,650 to 2,400-feet in altitude. From a Chinese Feng-Shui point of view, this is a rare and ideal place for a meditation or retirement. North of the property, there is a creek (Salmon Creek) that forms the Yin Pole of the landscape, and on the South, it faces the mountains forming the Yang Pole. South-East of the property, there is an old volcano, Bear Butte. Though this volcano is not active, its energy continues to emerge and influence the entire valley where the Center is located. This all creates a strong energy vortex around the property with ideal conditions to trap energy in the valley where the Center sits.

During his 10 years of residence at the Retreat Center, Dr. Yang has produced a many popular DVDs such as Taijiquan for Beginners and written several books in this location including this popular book, Dao De Jing – Qigong Interpretation.

The Center is completely independent for water and energy resources. Water is provided year round by a well and spring water (16,500 gallons storage). The Center runs on solar energy (12kW grid) with two back-up generators on site. There are also 2 large organic gardens, a green house, and a chicken coop capable of holding 50 chickens.

Facilities at the center include: an indoor training gym, a 12 person sauna house with 2 showers, a meditation gazebo and a 100-yard shooting/archery range.

The property is ideal for someone looking to run a retreat center with minimal setup. It would also make a beautiful private home.

We invite you to visit the Center to see and experience its natural beauty and strong energy.

For more information and to arrange a visit, please contact Dr. Yang.
dryang@ymaa.com

Phone: 707-502-8739

California Dreaming, Not so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsF0EpLLjU
40000 Pacific Coast Highway

"Will these $%$#'s ever stop. Is there anything they won't tax?"

It's not a good idea to start up in Kali, it's becoming Venezuela with the extremely rich and extremely poor and one million middle class per year leaving the State.. I think large parts have been sold to Mexico, China, Russian Mafia, Japan.
Welcome to Paradise Comrades..

MightyB
03-18-2019, 09:46 AM
"Will these $%$#'s ever stop. Is there anything they won't tax?"

Californians... remember this when you flee the state. Don't bring this sh*t with you. People have a strange tendency to bring leftist Marxist bs whilst fleeing leftist Marxist bs.

Jimbo
03-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Californians... remember this when you flee the state. Don't bring this sh*t with you. People have a strange tendency to bring leftist Marxist bs whilst fleeing leftist Marxist bs.

I'm one of the very few Californians I know who are actually CA-born. The vast majority of people in CA moved here from other states (or countries). So the image of the CA Marxist is mostly people from elsewhere who brought it here. It's a real thing, BUT most I know who were born here and been here for generations are not like that and do not agree with it.

GeneChing
03-18-2019, 01:20 PM
I'm one of the very few Californians I know who are actually CA-born.
Cali born & bred. And lemme tell ya, after spending a few summers living with the Chicoms (https://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1), Cali ain't commie, not yet at least. It's definitely expensive to live in the metropolitan areas like I do, but not nearly as bad elsewhere in the state. SoHum is a totally different place on so many levels.

I'm sad that Dr. Yang couldn't sustain the Retreat Center. I was there when it first opened and it was magnificent, a windy dirt road off the highway, close to the Avenue of Giants, a gorgeous forest of old growth redwoods.

MightyB
03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
I'm sad that Dr. Yang couldn't sustain the Retreat Center. I was there when it first opened and it was magnificent, a windy dirt road off the highway, close to the Avenue of Giants, a gorgeous forest of old growth redwoods.

I admire what he was / is doing for traditional martial arts. The retreat center is a neat concept.

It might work as a retreat center for people looking for short-term, immersive, specialized training... kind've like a Kung Fu Spa vacation.

GeneChing
04-06-2022, 07:46 AM
The Path to Inner Peace? READ Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming and Grand Qigong Circulation (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1632) by Gene Ching

http://www.kungfumagazine.com//admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/images/ezine/8065_Grand-Qigong-Circulation_Lead.jpg

threads
Grand-Qigong-Circulation-by-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72287-Grand-Qigong-Circulation-by-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming)
Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?14751-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming/)
Is-anyone-else-paying-attention-to-the-YMAA-Retreat-Center-program (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66183-Is-anyone-else-paying-attention-to-the-YMAA-Retreat-Center-program)

GeneChing
05-30-2022, 12:39 PM
Submitted for your approval, my latest interview for YMAA: Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming on the Changing Times and Enlightenment

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/articles-20220530-dr-yang-on-the-changing-times-and-enlightment.jpg (https://ymaa.com/articles/2022/05/dr-yang-jwing-ming-changing-times-and-enlightenment)

Grand-Qigong-Circulation-by-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72287-Grand-Qigong-Circulation-by-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming)
Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?14751-Dr-Yang-Jwing-Ming/)
Is-anyone-else-paying-attention-to-the-YMAA-Retreat-Center-program (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66183-Is-anyone-else-paying-attention-to-the-YMAA-Retreat-Center-program)

SteveLau
06-05-2022, 12:49 AM
Gentlemen, there is not much information available from the YMAA Website. The Camp has closed down. From the first post of this thread, the curriculum looks over-loaded for most people. It will take university graduate student to complete such 10 years training program!?

Regards,

Steve Lau
Hong Kong

GeneChing
06-05-2022, 09:50 AM
If you're looking on info about Dr. Yang specifically, visit his personal website: https://yangjwingming.com

GeneChing
05-23-2023, 09:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10IxkN6IQk

SteveLau
06-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Not even university offers study program with length of 10 years. :rolleyes:

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Royal Dragon Pi
10-14-2023, 01:39 PM
As long as Dr. Yang is able to pass his whole knowledge down to (or divide it among) a few disciples who themselves will be teaching, he'll have easily reached his goal. That quote of his sounds identical to what Adam Hsu was saying back in the '80s.

CMA is a tough sell nowadays, but hopefully there will always be somebody who is willing and able to learn it. It won't ever happen on a grand scale, though. If it survives, it will do so in pockets.. Ironically, that might possibly keep the quality higher than mass dissemination would have.

I saw an interview with David Ross where he said something to the effect that you have to "Trick" students into learning Kung Fu in order to pass it.

At first, the comment kind of angered me. However, after some reflection, I think he is right.

Its probably better to teach it as a modern Sanda/fighting sport FIRST, then slowly work your way backwards through time, gently guiding your students to the old traditional stuff.

They will appreciate the forms and Qigongs when they are older.

YinOrYan
10-14-2023, 03:12 PM
I saw an interview with David Ross where he said something to the effect that you have to "Trick" students into learning Kung Fu in order to pass it.

Some "Magic" would probably be needed to "Trick" students into learning Kung Fu. When I see one of those words then the other word is usually not far behind!

GeneChing
10-14-2023, 07:47 PM
It's all about finding the proper vessel. Take for example, my coworker at YMAA, David Silver. We just published the first in a trilogy of articles where he discusses his journey to Qigong.

Read I Saw the Light (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/i-saw-light) by David Silver.

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20PhotoI%20I%20saw%20the%20light-1.jpg

bawang
10-24-2023, 11:14 PM
Some "Magic" would probably be needed to "Trick" students into learning Kung Fu. When I see one of those words then the other word is usually not far behind!

nah thats just his sheety scammor bias. Tru kung fu tell it like it is bro straught up savage barbarian

bawang
10-24-2023, 11:16 PM
Not even university offers study program with length of 10 years. :rolleyes:

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Do u wanna team up to make wombat combat university bro straight up hardcore

GeneChing
10-25-2023, 08:01 AM
It's all about finding the proper vessel. Take for example, my coworker at YMAA, David Silver. We just published the first in a trilogy of articles where he discusses his journey to Qigong.

Read I Saw the Light (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/i-saw-light) by David Silver.

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20PhotoI%20I%20saw%20the%20light-1.jpg

Just wanted to update this with the two following articles of David Silver's trilogy:

Qigong is Ancient Mind/Body Science (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/qigong-ancient-mindbody-science) by David Silver

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20PhotoPadmasambava-looks-like-me.jpg

You Are Bioelectric (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/you-are-bioelectric) by David Silver

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20Photo%20electromag.png

bawang
10-27-2023, 01:32 AM
Just wanted to update this with the two following articles of David Silver's trilogy:

Qigong is Ancient Mind/Body Science (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/qigong-ancient-mindbody-science) by David Silver

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20PhotoPadmasambava-looks-like-me.jpg

You Are Bioelectric (https://ymaa.com/articles/2023/10/you-are-bioelectric) by David Silver

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/Lead%20Photo%20electromag.png

dam dude when did u join YMAA

I love Master Yang. I love Master Yang 10 year training camp. Master Yang excellent author. YMAA is the best.

GeneChing
10-27-2023, 09:53 AM
You miss all the hot news ;)

dam dude when did u join YMAA

I love Master Yang. I love Master Yang 10 year training camp. Master Yang excellent author. YMAA is the best.

YMAA became my full-time job after covid killed our print magazine and my job here went part-time.

bawang
12-20-2023, 06:02 PM
You miss all the hot news ;)

YMAA became my full-time job after covid killed our print magazine and my job here went part-time.

u gotta go with the counterculture angle, its the only way srs