PDA

View Full Version : New Video

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while. Made a new video I wanted to share. Nothing new, just recut and in SloMo/regular. These video clips were a while ago and I've since progressed quite a bit structure, distance, and principle wise but I'm still proud regardless. I had a lot of fun when I viewed Wing Chun Chi Sao more as a sparring match. Right, wrong, or indifferent I do believe it was a growing pain with some benefits, and an enjoyable one at that! Hope you enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ey4JLuhQ8

k gledhill
07-01-2013, 03:40 AM
Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
Considered an error in our vt.

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Using bong as an elbow up strike ? Do you rotate through the target with this and turn your shoulders ?
Considered an error in our vt.

I know it's not within the "acceptable" confines of Wing Chun but like I said this was back when I viewed free flow more as sparring. It worked at the time... But what I've realized that in all reality, with good timing you can do any type of strike you want regardless of it's adherence. And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.

tc101
07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
. And that's the beauty of training in Wing Chun to me. Ultimately you're developing attributes for fighting that in application it really is an expression of one's self.

What does that mean?

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
What does that mean?

When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot

k gledhill
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period. Wing Chun helps IMO train some pretty important attributes like timing, distance, footwork, seeing open lines, etc. But it's not fighting. I was responding to Kevin with his question as to why the bong/hook punching. It just came out. It was an open line and the timing was right. Simple as that. I'm not a dogmatist like some on here when it comes to trying out different approaches. Doing drills and structure work. Fair enough, that should be done "correctly". But having fun without care to the "correct way" after class? Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to know what your limits of expression is...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

- TS Eliot

VT has a specific technical repertoire and angles to make it functional without crossing it with hooks :/ aka lifting my elbow and rotating. Heresy ! ; ) bleed him.

k gledhill
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
VT has a specific technical repertoire and angles to make it functional without crossing it with hooks :/ aka lifting my elbow and rotating. Heresy ! ; ) bleed him.

http://youtu.be/Y8jJVx6UcyM

Paddington
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the vid Matt, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed your comments in this thread. I too have found that in the fights I have had, it was not always wing chun that came out of my body.

Even during the more heavier sparring sessions that I have had, including kicks, I find it easy to slip outside of the wing chun envelope, so to speak. Whilst I also share your more open minded and liberal attitude, personally I am in a phase of 'adherence' or at least attempting it!

p.s.

Would love to roll arms with you Matt.

tc101
07-01-2013, 07:08 PM

- TS Eliot

I am a bit dense. You think that the drill you were playing trains fighting attributes and how to express your wing chun when fighting?

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I am a bit dense. You think that the drill you were playing trains fighting attributes and how to express your wing chun when fighting?

Dude, you're not worth my time

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the vid Matt, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed your comments in this thread. I too have found that in the fights I have had, it was not always wing chun that came out of my body.

Even during the more heavier sparring sessions that I have had, including kicks, I find it easy to slip outside of the wing chun envelope, so to speak. Whilst I also share your more open minded and liberal attitude, personally I am in a phase of 'adherence' or at least attempting it!

p.s.

Would love to roll arms with you Matt.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm currently in that "phase" too partly because I really do want to refine myself but also because it's getting harder and harder to find people who want to go harder!!! While they all have a valid point as to why it's not necessary, I originally learned a harder version of Wing Chun within the same lineage that I feel did serve me well. I might have progressed slower in certain aspects but the areas that I did progress in I see a lot of these same people lacking.

I'm located in Tucson, you anywhere close?

mvbrown21
07-01-2013, 08:13 PM
http://youtu.be/Y8jJVx6UcyM

Nice video, thanks

YouKnowWho
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
When you actually fight you're going to fight whatever way it comes out, period.
I like your positive attitude. Quite often whe can hear:

- This is not in our system.
- We don't do this.
- It's against our system principle.

200 years ago, the WC founder may only have to fight against another TCMA guy. Today, a WC guy has to fight againt both TCMA guy and non-TCMA guy. Some "additional training" will be needed.

Grumblegeezer
07-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey, that was great. Nothing like seeing some WC brothers really getting into it. I'll let others offer the critiques. Personally, I just love to see people giving it their all.

tc101
07-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Dude, you're not worth my time

Yes yes by all means do not try to answer the question. Your video was wonderful, you are brilliant, that was one of the finest things I've seen. Since all you want is praise I will give you praise.

mvbrown21
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes yes by all means do not try to answer the question. Your video was wonderful, you are brilliant, that was one of the finest things I've seen. Since all you want is praise I will give you praise.

No. I thought I answered your question. Your follow up was a bit of sarcasm mixed with the classic setup for a flame war within this forum. Something I'm not interested in participating. Sorry...

tc101
07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
No flame war intended just trying to understand what you say since it doesn't make sense to me but as I said I can be a bit dense at times.

Sorry for the sarcasm but it was open and the timing was tbere. Simple as that. :)

Vernon
07-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks for sharing the video.

I study JKD, but my favorite art within the system is Wing Chun. There are times when I want to work solely on my Wing Chun skills, therefore I won't add boxing, Silat, Muay Thai, etc. into the mix when touching hands. During boxing class I don't add Wing Chun or other arts into the mix either, so this way I can focus on developing my boxing attributes. I have noticed, however, that the principles and skills of Wing Chun, such as forward pressure and simultaneous block and attack, that I have developed during my Wing Chun training helps during boxing and vice-versa. However, when full on sparring I often utilize whatever I feel is appropriate at the time whether it be a Pak Sao or an uppercut. I don't worry about whether I am using "pure" this or that.

I like your approach! Although you probably won't progress as quick as others when viewed under a strict Wing Chun lens, your ability to actually apply Wing Chun techniques during sparring will probably be strengthened by using your mixed approach.

Best,
Vernon