PDA

View Full Version : Training for health

YouKnowWho
07-03-2013, 03:18 AM
- Weight lifting can develop your bone, muscle, structure, and add weight.
- Running can develop your lung, heart, leg muscle, endurance, and lose weight.

Both are good for health. If you only have time to do one and not both,

- Which one will you prefer?
- Which one do you think that can help you to live longer?
- Why?

Frost
07-03-2013, 04:12 AM

- Why?

its not either or its how you set the programme up:
weights can be used to develop the heart, the lunges (whatever that means) the leg muscles, help with endurance and also weight loss, the question should be what makes you think weights cant do that and only running can?

MightyB
07-03-2013, 05:10 AM
the question should be what makes you think weights cant do that and only running can?

prepping to run a marathon :D:D:D

Neeros
07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Neither, I'll stick to chi kung. That's not to say running or lifting isn't a good test of progress though because it is.

Flame On!

Frost
07-03-2013, 05:20 AM
prepping to run a marathon :D:D:D

Reading comprehension please :)
he never mentioned a marathon he said - Running can develop your lung, heart, leg muscle, endurance, and lose weight.
And i said the question should be what makes you think lifting weights can’t do these things and only running can??

bawang
07-03-2013, 06:41 AM

I run 5min and lift weits 50 min. I feel 5 min fast run is enough for me

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2013, 07:02 AM
There are 3 types of running:
Short
Middle
Long distance.

There are MANY types of ST protocols that will give you the same "cardio" benefits of those ( NOT the task SPECIFIC benefits) with the added factor of weight bearing exercises which are very good for your bones.

In short, IF specificity is NOT important than weight training with whatever parameters you want to follow, is far better than "just running".

YouKnowWho
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
what makes you think weights cant do that and only running can?
When I say running, I mean "long distance running" such as 10 K (6 miles) average.

When I trained my 1st marathon, I could see my body shrank in the mirror so I know "long distance running" is good for weight lost.

When I say "lung", I mean breathing ability. When I did my long distance running, I could do TCMA form without hard breathing. So I know it can help my lung (breathing) and endurence.

Running can give you healthy heart. No need explaination there.

Since leg is what you are using, you will get a pair of strong legs.

Can weight lifting be able to achieve that? I don't know. I don't see many people in the gym who sweat and breath hard like runner does.

bawang
07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
run while lifting weights

PROBLEM SOLVED

Lucas
07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
i think if you had to pick one activity strictly for health reasons out of the two, i would say running. simply because almost every single runner i know that runs distance is in great health. not so for every weight lifter i know.

not to say that weight training wont keep you in great health, because it can and will. but over all the results ive seen from people who do happen to go to the extreme: ie; runners that dont lift, and lifters that dont run distance.

Lucas
07-03-2013, 04:36 PM
i think tho the best thing you could do is just have regular long sessions of crazy wild sex. this will keep you in good shape, you can get cardio and weight lifting aspects in, you can relieve stress, and make your woman happy (which adds years onto your life in and of itself) you can keep your flexibility up, range of motion, balance, etc. its pretty much the full meal deal.

:D

Neeros
07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
i think tho the best thing you could do is just have regular long sessions of crazy wild sex. this will keep you in good shape, you can get cardio and weight lifting aspects in, you can relieve stress, and make your woman happy (which adds years onto your life in and of itself) you can keep your flexibility up, range of motion, balance, etc. its pretty much the full meal deal.

I like how you think my good sir! :D

mickey
07-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Greetings,

In NYC, I would say that 96 to 98% of the joggers out here should not be jogging. They do not have the musculature for it and are setting themselves up for shin, knee and hip injuries. They would be much better off walking briskly.

Those that I have seen who can jog have a very good musculature and great legs to begin with. Earlier this year I saw a Chinese lady jog, rickshaw style (somewhat similar to the running step seen in Long Fist styles). She really had it going on. Each step was followed by a leaping float into the next step. Her form was so beautiful. And she had the legs to do it.

mickey

pazman
07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
After an hour of running, I feel worn out and my joints will ache the next day.

After an hour of lifting, I feel relaxed and I have a lot of pep the next day.

I do both, but I usually do long runs once a week at most.

If put on a basic, strength lifting program, chubby people lose the chub, and skinny people fill out naturally.

Daily thai pad sessions will help you to lose weight quickly.

wenshu
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Running can give you healthy heart. No need explaination there.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/15908/20130525/long-distance-running-endurance-exercises-limited-health.htm

YouKnowWho
07-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Most runners are not smokers. This may not be true for weight lifters. When you run, you will appreciate the clean air going into your lung. When a smoker told me that he enjoys smoking. I told him that he can replace his smoking pleasure by the preasure to let his lung to breath without any problem. When you have breathing problem from smoking, you will give up anything for just 1 day of breathing comfortably. I was a pipe smoker. I was there myself.

YouKnowWho
07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/15908/20130525/long-distance-running-endurance-exercises-limited-health.htm

Agree! That's why I prefer 10K (6 miles) maximum daily (I sometime run 8 miles in one day but I try not to exceed that - it's just too comfortable to run on the soft sand beach). Even if you may run 5 days a week, you are still running 30 miles weekly.

My wife is 9 years younger than me. I had promised her that I will out live her so she won't have to deal with my death. It's not easy to out live someone who is 9 years younger. That's why I have to keep my running. I just can't afford not to do it.

My longfist teacher is 86 years old now and still going strong. As far as I know, he doesn't run. Maybe TCMA training by itself is good enough for longevity.

http://ymaa.com/articles/grandmaster-li-mao-ching

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ymaalondon.com/images/master_li.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ymaalondon.com/dryang.html&h=219&w=175&sz=28&tbnid=uoliqxslg0NBRM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=72&zoom=1&usg=__7iCD4nRnCXMfzyXXJyYNRyHR94Q=&docid=mI-DwmznCiZ8jM&sa=X&ei=4_HUUcqwIKGAiALN84GABQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=37

Oso
07-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Greetings,

In NYC, I would say that 96 to 98% of the joggers out here should not be jogging. They do not have the musculature for it and are setting themselves up for shin, knee and hip injuries. They would be much better off walking briskly.

Those that I have seen who can jog have a very good musculature and great legs to begin with. Earlier this year I saw a Chinese lady jog, rickshaw style (somewhat similar to the running step seen in Long Fist styles). She really had it going on. Each step was followed by a leaping float into the next step. Her form was so beautiful. And she had the legs to do it.

mickey

ya, that's cuz of the modern running shoe designed to allow heel strike running...but still actually imparts the same eventual physiological issues?

hoomans were not built to run long distances, they were built to walk long distances.

so, yea, walking briskly is good. sprinting short distances is good. lifting heavy for low reps is good.

and omfg i'm ****ing repeating sh!te everyone should frakking know...

you guys realize we beat the internet, right???? case closed. drink your beer.

Oso
07-04-2013, 01:34 AM

so, one should continuously increase the size of one's partners? otherwise, you plateau? right?

at some point, you would have to be seeking out some of the biggest ssbbw's?

****. props bro. I'll stick with skinny and/or short chicks. pics please.

:D ;)

Brule
07-04-2013, 07:03 AM
This is how we should all run....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57592049-1/guy-dressed-as-darth-vader-runs-death-valley-in-129-degree-heat/

lance
07-05-2013, 02:18 AM

- Why? I would go for running , because of the same reason you gave on your topic post . Weight Training , depends on what kinds of job you do , to me any kind of job which requires lifting , pushing , pulling can help develop the samething you ' ve mentioned on your topic post . I do it too myself . Weight Training really does ' nt have to take a long time to do , if you got 10 minutes or 5 minutes you can just do a few reps of each exercise to develop all parts of the body . What you are doing is building your muscles as times go by for you .

So as the chores you do around your house or apartment , like you YouKnowWho , I don ' t know if you live in an apartment or a regular house , studio ? Or what you do for a living ? But anything you do everyday which requires you to use your own physical strength can sustitute for your weight training .

People who work in a restaurant can get a good work out too , regardless if they are cooks , dishwashers , pantry . Or like what I mentioned in my topic post reply to your topic post . So you can get in shape , regardless of what you really do everyday of your life .

Lance

YouKnowWho
07-05-2013, 03:34 AM
This is how we should all run....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57592049-1/guy-dressed-as-darth-vader-runs-death-valley-in-129-degree-heat/

There was a 50 miles "ironman contest" that you run down from the grand canyon south rim and up to the north rim.

YouKnowWho
07-05-2013, 03:42 AM
But anything you do everyday which requires you to use your own physical strength can sustitute for your weight training.

When I was training for my tournament, I used a huge rock. I picked it up, walked 20 steps, put it down. I might repeated that as many time as I wanted until I was tired. That rock is still on the ground next to my drive way. One of these day I will measure the weight of that rock.

MightyB
07-05-2013, 05:54 AM
For cardio you could just do vigorous repetitions of forms... you know, since that was what they were intended for in the first place.

wenshu
07-05-2013, 08:07 AM
hoomans were not built to run long distances, they were built to walk long distances.

cuz we should only do exactly what someone arbitrarily decided we were 'built' to do

For cardio you could just do vigorous repetitions of forms... you know, since that was what they were intended for in the first place.

says who

MightyB
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
cuz we should only do exactly what someone arbitrarily decided we were 'built' to do

says who

Says Me!!!

----

I thought distance running WAS our evolutionary advantage.
The Human Body Is Built for Distance (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html?_r=0)

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Says Me!!!

----

The Human Body Is Built for Distance (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html?_r=0)

None of that is in favour of distance RUNNING.
Probably more like distance walking ( fast paced).
You can walk a great distance AND still be able to hunt and kill, not so much running.
Honestly, it is not an either/or thing, we can do BOTH.
We can sprint really well AND we can run/walk for distance.
Sure our sprint speed is peanuts compared to land mammals, but the thing is that we can do both.

Lucas
07-05-2013, 08:42 AM
so, one should continuously increase the size of one's partners? otherwise, you plateau? right?

at some point, you would have to be seeking out some of the biggest ssbbw's?

****. props bro. I'll stick with skinny and/or short chicks. pics please.

:D ;)

lol, nope you just have to get inventive. you have to develop a rotation method of the 64 kamasutra positions, and make adjustments in structure and rep to deepen the workout. :p

wenshu
07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Says Me!!!

YOUR RONG

I thought it was our adaptability.

MightyB
07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
YOUR RONG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eU0Q5KAVbsI/SOK3LhovBAI/AAAAAAAAA_s/0H0iKoEt80w/s400/stuartSmalley.jpg

wenshu
07-05-2013, 12:34 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eU0Q5KAVbsI/SOK3LhovBAI/AAAAAAAAA_s/0H0iKoEt80w/s400/stuartSmalley.jpg

http://i.qkme.me/35lemp.jpg

Lucas
07-05-2013, 01:07 PM
http://i.qkme.me/5xgt.jpg

wenshu
07-05-2013, 01:28 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0a3fg-fUWdw/T3On8vGgmVI/AAAAAAAAA4A/PJg-1gRMH5Y/s1600/bunk-the-wire.gif

YouKnowWho
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM

I had given serious thought on this too. If I can replace my running by my solo form training, I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. That's always what I want to do anyway. The only problem that I found is that I don't have enough "self-discipline". It's hard to push myself to do form after form with no break in between. I even tried to repeat the same combo drill (such as kick, punch, wrap, throw) 600 time non-stop. It may take 1 hour. That's 10 reps per minutes, and 6 second per rep. The trainin is much harder than just the running.

The way that I look at running, it's a lazy person work out. If you set a destination 3 miles away from where you are. If you run to that target and back, you have no choice but to finish the whole distance.

wenshu
07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Good forms/drill practice should be explosive high intensity intervals and won't work for steady state aerobic conditioning.

YouKnowWho
07-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Good forms/drill practice should be explosive high intensity intervals and won't work for steady state aerobic conditioning.

That's right. You can slow run for 1 hour, but you just can't fast spring for 1 hour. To train combat skill in "constant speed" is not a good idea IMO.

It's time for my running again. Will talk to you guys later.

Oso
07-05-2013, 05:39 PM

i'm pretty sure the most recent consensus is that we adapted to long distance walking, not long distance running and that heel strike running contributes to a host of ill affects. but, anyway, that's what I believe and you can do your own research.

Kellen Bassette
07-05-2013, 05:45 PM
My wife is 9 years younger than me. I had promised her that I will out live her so she won't have to deal with my death. It's not easy to out live someone who is 9 years younger. That's why I have to keep my running. I just can't afford not to do it.

John's posts always make me happy. :D

Oso
07-05-2013, 06:33 PM
lol, nope you just have to get inventive. you have to develop a rotation method of the 64 kamasutra positions, and make adjustments in structure and rep to deepen the workout. :p

oh, I just use angry/revenge sex XD

wenshu
07-05-2013, 08:06 PM
i'm pretty sure the most recent consensus is that we adapted to long distance walking, not long distance running and that heel strike running contributes to a host of ill affects. but, anyway, that's what I believe and you can do your own research.

My point was not about the evolution of running rather the romanticization fallacy that says we should only do things we evolved to be good at. Confining humans to activities we only evolved to be good at is mindlessly dull and limiting.

In any case, here's the paper mentioned in the article MightyB posted. Makes a strong case for the evolution of endurance running.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/pdfs/2007c.pdf

mickey
07-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Greetings,

I read that paper and found it interesting

Still, a great percentage of the people who jog should not be doing it because they do not have the musculature for it.

The soccer player best embodies the qualities of that paper. And they have the legs to do it. And they are among the few who know how to jog.

mickey

Frost
07-06-2013, 06:58 AM

it depends on how you play the forms and which ones you do really, just as shadow boxing can be used for steady state aerobic work so can forms

lance
07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
When I was training for my tournament, I used a huge rock. I picked it up, walked 20 steps, put it down. I might repeated that as many time as I wanted until I was tired. That rock is still on the ground next to my drive way. One of these day I will measure the weight of that rock.

YouKnowWho , good idea .

Pierce
07-11-2013, 12:48 AM
A combination of the cardio and weight workouts work well for the physical fitness, body strength and diseases prevention. Do both kinds of the exercises rather than concentrating on one exercise.