PDA

View Full Version : Buck Sam Kong, what do you guy's know about him?

JWTAYLOR
11-13-2001, 06:04 PM
I was always wondering where my teacher got his Hung Gar stuff from. He was teaching a Sa Quan (sp?) little staff set and mentioned that Gary Swan, his original teacher, trained with a man by the name of Buck Sam Kong. I may not be spelling that correctly.

Any information on this guy?

And no, the staff set was not Hung Gar, I'm pretty sure it's from Choy Lay Fut.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Chang Style Novice
11-13-2001, 06:05 PM
All I know for sure is he has a funny name.

ewallace
11-13-2001, 06:11 PM
I trained with Sifu Swan for about a year back in 94-95. Never heard him mention anything.

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

JWTAYLOR
11-13-2001, 06:15 PM
I've never heard him say anything about Buck Sam Kong before either. Then again, I don't hear Mr. Swan say much any time. But an internet search of the name Buck Sam Kong has come up with a book he wrote, and a photo of him on the cover. Gary Swan has a photo of himself with the man on the cover.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Kung Lek
11-13-2001, 06:25 PM
Hey jwt.

Buck Sam Kong is a pretty well known Hung Gar sifu.
There are articles about him at this site, check the archives.

here's one for starts
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/1_2/bucksam.html

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

DragonzRage
11-13-2001, 10:12 PM
Back in my kung fu days I studied Hung Ga. Buck Sam Kong reasonably high up there in the pecking order and is quite respected. He was trained under Grandmaster Lam Cho, who I believe was the most senior disciple of kung fu great Sifu Lam Sai Wing (who in turn was the senior disciple of bonified bada$$ hero Master Wong Fei Hung). I know that back in the day Buck Sam Kong taught h2h kung fu fighting to the US Army. He is very traditional kung fu. Sifu Vernon Rieta (who has made some training tapes) is one of his disciples so I guess that if you watch his tape you might get an idea of what Buck Sam Kong's brand of Hung Ga is like. That's all I really know.

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

NorthernMantis
11-13-2001, 10:32 PM
DR is correct.Buck Sam Kong is a very well know Hung Gar Sifu.You might get better info in the southern forum.He's made several contributions to kung fu magazine over the years with his Student Martha Burr [sp?]who is a columnist for this magazine and happnes to be Genes friend,I suppose, since they have travaled a lot together before to China to make articles.

Ask Gene he knows or try the soutern forum.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Kung Lek
11-13-2001, 11:41 PM
Martha Burr is the Publisher of KungFu /QiGong magazine.

Buck Sam Kong is a student of Lam Jo who is also one of Kwong Wing Lam's Hung Gar sifus.
Kwong Wing Lam is Gene's sifu.

Lam Jo was a student of Lam Sai Wing.

Lam Sai Wing is widely credited with the popularization of Hung Gar Kung Fu and southern Siu Lam Kung Fu in general.

Not to mention he had a rep as a heck of a good fighter in his fish market days.

He (Lam Sai Wing) also published three books, Gung Gee Fook Foo, Fu Hok, and Tid Sen Kuen, which in turn Buck Sam Kong used the drawings of Lam Sai Wing to create the popular posters of the sets which you can still purchase in various places.

The Hung Gar of the Lam Sai Wing Lineages is very strong Kung Fu and is still very strong to this day.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

alecM
11-14-2001, 12:09 AM
Buk Sam Kong was also a student of Choy Lee Fut master Lee Koon Hung. have a look here (http://alecmorris.topcities.com/leekoonhung.htm)

Fear not the man who has learned one thousand kicks, fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.

GeneChing
11-14-2001, 02:15 AM
"He's made several contributions to kung fu magazine over the years with his Student Martha Burr [sp?]who is a columnist for this magazine and happnes to be Genes friend,I suppose, since they have travaled a lot together before to China to make articles."

Yes, Martha ia our editor and precedes me here with the magazine, but that's what she gets for not playing with us here on the forums. :p

Kong Sifu is well regarded in Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut and has many fights to his credit. He also has many students, still teaches in LA and is Martha's Sifu.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

rogue
11-14-2001, 06:40 AM
I always liked his daughter, Buck Sum Babe.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Now I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.

Tainan Mantis
11-14-2001, 07:34 AM
His kung fu book was one of my favorites when I was a kid.
It has a clearly explained tiger crane 2 man form.
In my TKD days I tried to learn it from the bookwith my neighbor.