PDA

View Full Version : UFC and Bellator veteran Maiquel Falcao street fight

GeneChing
07-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Ugly. Follow the link for video.

Yahoo! Sports
UFC and Bellator veteran Maiquel Falcao involved in ugly brawl that left one man hospitalized (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ufc-bellator-veteran-maiquel-falcao-involved-ugly-brawl-142822297.html)
By Maggie Hendricks | Cagewriter – 9 hours ago

Bellator and UFC veteran Maiquel Falcao was involved in a brawl in Brazil over the weekend that ended with one man in serious condition in the hospital. The brawl was caught on video by the gas station security video.

According to Fernando Arbex in Brazil, the brawl started when Falcao grabbed a woman who was working at the gas station. She is wearing white shorts in the video. When she spoke up, he hit her. This touched off the brawl that left Brazilian fighter Kaue Mena hospitalized. Falcao and Mena were both hit with sticks. It's Mena who is on the ground in all black and is hit again and again.

Falcao had one fight in the UFC. He beat Gerald Harris at UFC 123, but was then cut from the promotion after legal troubles from a 2002 brawl. His most recent fight was a loss to Alexander Shlemeneko in February.

Syn7
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
That's what happens when you think your hands are enough when fighting in the streets. We've all seen this movie before and we'll see it again. Quite often it goes the other way, but being knocked senseless is usually less damaging than being shot, clubbed or stabbed. Both sides should have just walked away when they had the chance. Yeah, what he did was a dick move, but not worth escalating to this kind of violence. Too much pride, all around.

I'm not advocating street fighting, but if you're gonna go there, best to avoid half stepping!

Wayfaring
07-10-2013, 05:50 AM
I saw that clip. IMO more than a fight or anything to do with MMA that is a guy hitting a woman, her friends/gang jumping him and his friend and beating them down. Falcao's friend died. Falcao was critically injured.

All very very stupid and unnecessary.

Jimbo
07-10-2013, 09:42 AM
He most definitely should *not* have put his hands on anyone, especially a woman...and especially one he doesn't know. It wasn't the first time for him. Apparently, this guy thinks that being a tough guy gives him full access to being a bully and a ****. However, I don't care who you are, whenever you do that on the street, you're playing Russian roulette every time. I don't know how involved his friend was in the initial incident if at all, but unfortunately for him, he paid a much heavier price for Falcao's stupidity.

And while that gang took it way too far, I have a feeling they most likely knew who they were dealing with. It looks like Falcao was wearing a T-shirt with his name on it, and if they didn't know him already, he may have announced who he was to her, who knows. Sure, the continued beat down after the friend was down was cowardly, *but those are the types of things that happen in street fights*. When I saw the vid and read some of the comments, I was amazed at how some people think the group should have faced the two fighters sans weapons, one-on-one, 'like men'. To expect sportsmanship and honor from an attacker in a serious street fight is beyond naive, it's fantasyland.

Basically, they're all criminals.

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Well...
No one stands behind a girl like that with "good intentions".
MMA has a "tough guy" culture in it's lower ranks that has caused some concern and this is another example of this.
Young kids that get a "I can kick ass" mentality without fully understanding that, NO, they can't.
While they probably deserved a good old fashioned beating to teach them a lesson, the fact is that in the world we live in now, escalation is very common and there is far less regard for the consequences of ones actions.
Drugs, legal stimulants and boozes add to that effect.
Very sad situation.

Jimbo
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Exactly.
Which is why the 'tough guy' mentality is even more dangerous these days. It isn't the honorable, heroic fighter you need to worry about on the street, it's the people who aren't. Whether they view themselves or their actions as cowardly or not, they don't care. All they want is to achieve their objective...in this case, a total beat down of these two guys. However that's achieved, for them, they view as justified. In the States, the two fighters very likely would have ended up knifed or shot.

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Exactly.
Which is why the 'tough guy' mentality is even more dangerous these days. It isn't the honorable, heroic fighter you need to worry about on the street, it's the people who aren't. Whether they view themselves or their actions as cowardly or not, they don't care. All they want is to achieve their objective...in this case, a total beat down of these two guys. However that's achieved, for them, they view as justified. In the States, they very likely would have ended up knifed or shot.

Yep.
seen it too much and it is an even great occurrence now.
You can see the pent up rage and venom when they were hitting and kicking him when he was knocked out.
That kind of hate and disregard for life is brought on by rage, drugs, pent up hostility and a total disregard for the consequences of their actions.
They just wanted to **** him up bad !

Syn7
07-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Clearly this guy was a knuckledragger. If I was his wife, I would be ****ed. She seems to be outraged that her husband was attacked, but not a word about how this all started. You don't do things like this out of the blue. Doesn't take a genius to make a reasonable assumption that this guy has done stuff like this before and gotten away with it. Sad part is, I doubt that's the lesson he will learn here.

I agree, the real tragedy is that people are willing to take such things to these excessive levels. This was some caveman ****, all around. These people can try to justify this any way they want, but none of it flies, IMO. Had they grouped up and made a wall around the women and backed off defensively, they could say they did the right thing. They allowed pride to cloud judgement. It's sad. Nothing new though. Wars have been fought over stuff like this.

While this may speak to a side of MMA culture in brazil and a side of MMA culture in general, I see this is just another symptom of something far greater, way more scary and absolutely unacceptable. I'm not opposed to violence when it's called for, but I have a pretty high standard for what is considered "called for". This doesn't even register. Absolutely ridiculous.

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Clearly this guy was a knuckledragger. If I was his wife, I would be ****ed. She seems to be outraged that her husband was attacked, but not a word about how this all started. You don't do things like this out of the blue. Doesn't take a genius to make a reasonable assumption that this guy has done stuff like this before and gotten away with it. Sad part is, I doubt that's the lesson he will learn here.

I agree, the real tragedy is that people are willing to take such things to these excessive levels. This was some caveman ****, all around. These people can try to justify this any way they want, but none of it flies, IMO. Had they grouped up and made a wall around the women and backed off defensively, they could say they did the right thing. They allowed pride to cloud judgement. It's sad. Nothing new though. Wars have been fought over stuff like this.

While this may speak to a side of MMA culture in brazil and a side of MMA culture in general, I see this is just another symptom of something far greater, way more scary and absolutely unacceptable. I'm not opposed to violence when it's called for, but I have a pretty high standard for what is considered "called for". This doesn't even register. Absolutely ridiculous.

Agree 100%

Lucas
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
pathetic. if i had a friend that douchey i would never back up his actions with my own blood. but first off, i wouldnt be friends with a person like that. any guy who is going to hang with guys who act like that, probably are like that themselves.

i mean do you guys hang out with dudes that grab chicks and then smack them around when they protest? i hope not. and if you do, you're a total douche.

may sound like a **** out look, and it sucks people died, but hey, you reap what you sow. i dont doubt for a second that those guys knew who they were dealing with, and in a community like that, there was probably some guys who knew he does **** like that. if that girl was my sister i'd beat that fuker to the end of his life myself, as long as i could get away with it. to many unknowns to know why that extreme was reached.

this reminds me of a documentary i watched once on hardcore gangbangers. the guy interviewed was in jail for 1st degree murder, when he was asked why he did it, he said that it was because he knew the guy was a martial arts expert, so instead of trying to fight him, he just took a gun and shot him.

why try to 1 on 1 a pro fighter when you have a gang?

David Jamieson
07-10-2013, 12:16 PM
4 words: pea brain d bag

Kymus
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
well...
Young kids that get a "i can kick ass" mentality without fully understanding that, no, they can't.

+1

Wayfaring
07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
One thing I thought of is the streets in Brazil are pretty volatile right now, with the demonstrations and protests going on. That may have played into the overreaction by the crowd....

Wayfaring
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Falcoa and Mena just released from their MMA team. The following is a letter from the coach of Renovacao Fight Team[RFT].

I, Marcelo Brigadeiro, in my role as leader of team Company Fight/RFT through this letter voice my official stance regarding the regrettable fight episode involving the athletes Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena.

Initially I’d like to make it clear that as far as my interpretation of the facts, I don’t believe any of the involved are innocent - all were wrong, in greater or lesser proportions. The actions of Maiquel Falcao which triggered all that occurred, despite it not being an aggression as many have characterized it, was disrespectful and not compatible with the behavior of an athlete. The reaction of the aggressors was in turn exaggerated, cowardly and criminal. Kaue Mena himself, who remains in a coma in the ICU at Hospital do Coração in Balneario Camboriu, also carries with him part of the guilt of what occurred; as a professional MMA athlete, he should not be on the streets at the hour of the event.

I also make it clear that the attitude of these two athletes does not reflect on the behavior of our entire team. We are known as one of the most successful teams in the world and also as a true family of athletes, good men of character, of exemplary behavior, as should be expected from true practitioners of martial arts. The attitudes of Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena do not meet what is taught by myself and practiced by my students, nor is it what’s expected by our sponsors and commercial partners.

I know that as professionals and practitioners of martial arts we should not and cannot be associated with night life, fights, altercations and the consumption of alcohol. We have the obligation to serve as an example to society and above all to children, who see us as heroes.

Whoever knows me knows the immense love that I feel for my work and for my students, whom I treat as sons, including Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena. However, as master or ‘father’, as they call me, I must not and cannot close my eyes to the flaws of my ‘boys’. Due to the aforementioned, it is with a broken heart and great sadness that I officially announce that Maiquel Falcao and Kaue Mena no longer are a part of team Company Fight/RFT.

Lastly, I hope that this tragedy serves as a lesson to all of us. May we be aware how much a simple and unfortunate action can affect our lives in negative and permanent ways. May those who are starting in this profession understand that choosing to be an athlete is not the selection of a job, but that of a philosophy of life that requires self-sacrifice, discipline and obedience.

Syn7
07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Well prepared. Good call.

We'll see if they redeem themselves and make it back onto the team.

I still doubt whether either of them will learn the "right" lessons here. Hopefully they walk away with more than just "street fight = bad" and are truly able to recognize their aggressive and misogynistic ways. Atleast in Falcoa's case. Mena's big lesson here is actually quite simple... don't associate with douchebags. It's never a good look.

As for the guys on the other side of this, hopefully a lil prison rape will scare them straight. ;) I hear Brazilian prisons are just a blast!

Dragonzbane76
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
A well written letter.

xinyidizi
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
It was all Falcao's fault. I wonder what kind of person would ignore someone treating his wife or girlfriend like that. I know that the outcome was not worth it and it's easy to criticize them but in that situation many rational people would go nuts.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Falcoa and Mena just released from their MMA team. The following is a letter from the coach of Renovacao Fight Team[RFT].

Well...As much as the letter is needed, I wonder if He/they could have done something to avoid all this.
I know that many kids ( and anyone in the late teens and early 20's is still just that) need a mentor far more than just a coach and teaching fighting without the discipline NOT to fight can and has and DOES get many kids into lots of trouble.

xinyidizi
07-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Well...As much as the letter is needed, I wonder if He/they could have done something to avoid all this.
I know that many kids ( and anyone in the late teens and early 20's is still just that) need a mentor far more than just a coach and teaching fighting without the discipline NOT to fight can and has and DOES get many kids into lots of trouble.

The alternative is having them do the horse stance and do the taichi set for a few years before teaching them fighting though you people are against this method.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2013, 07:21 AM
The alternative is having them do the horse stance and do the taichi set for a few years before teaching them fighting though you people are against this method.

You people?

My oh my, did someone just put on the "intolerant larper" uniform?
:D

Syn7
07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Hey let's oversimplify a complex social issue with TMA analogies. That always goes well! :o

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey let's oversimplify a complex social issue with TMA analogies. That always goes well! :o

Because all those TMA fighters and masters were such beacons of perfection, LMAO !

Syn7
07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
3 years in a horse stance gets rid of demons. True story!

Athletes have always been aggressive. The hype, the money, the mindstate. It all factors in. Take some talented kid with a ****ed up head and booom, instant *******.

Jimbo
07-11-2013, 11:07 AM
The whole "training creates better people with better attitudes" is a fairly recent incentive offered as a MA benefit. When I lived and trained in Taiwan, I saw that many people considered TCMA (except for Taiji) as associated with low socioeconomic status, gangsterism, etc. Which was true in some cases, though not all. By far, TKD was far more popular and desirable to train in...as well as JMA.

IMO, people become better human beings through training if:

They really want to be good people;

They have a positive influence from their teachers/seniors/family/environment, etc.

It takes a certain level of maturity. And for some, even a long lifetime of training that produces great martial ability doesn't always result in a more evolved person. Of course, we should hope that as MAists, we will be of a mind to take personal responsibility for our actions, and strive to do the right thing.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
The whole "training creates better people with better attitudes" is a fairly recent incentive offered as a MA benefit. When I lived and trained in Taiwan, I saw that many people considered TCMA (except for Taiji) as associated with low socioeconomic status, gangsterism, etc. Which was true in some cases, though not all. By far, TKD was far more popular and desirable to train in...as well as JMA.

IMO, people become better human beings through training if:

They really want to be good people;

They have a positive influence from their teachers/seniors/family/environment, etc.

It takes a certain level of maturity. And for some, even a long lifetime of training that produces great martial ability doesn't always result in a more evolved person. Of course, we should hope that as MAists, we will be of a mind to take personal responsibility for our actions, and strive to do the right thing.

The whole "Karate kid" thing showed that it isn't the system, its the teacher.
As full of clichees as it was, I know that I'd love to have a "Miyagi" for a teacher.
The humble but ass-kicking teacher is, IMO, the ideal role model in the MA.

Syn7
07-11-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think a benevolent teacher can do much more than cultivate something that is already there. I'm sure the best teachers in the world can recount some pretty disappointing students as far as attitude and intelligence is concerned. People do what they want in the end. Some know what's good for them, some don't.

I think it's more that people gravitate to what they desire. Unless you get ahold of them as babies and the parents play ball, you get what you get. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. On average, anyways.