PDA

View Full Version : MUST SEE

wall
11-13-2001, 07:54 PM
There is a movie that I believe has been released last week in the US called 'Brotherhood of the wolf'. It's a french movie with -yes- subtitles, but fear not this is one of the coolest movies of the year and well worth the price of admission. It certainly should be in far more cinemas, so go see it while you can and send your friends too. My friend Mark Dacascos does some fantastic wushu in lots of well-coreographed fight scenes, the photography and look of the movie is amazing, the story is intriguing (and based on real events), and there is lots of suspence and tension (it's a Sleepy Hollo-type "horror" story set 300 years ago in France, only much better then S.H. and with lots of wushu).
Last but not least it has Monica Bellucci in it: if you don't know who she is, you most definitely will after the movie.

Truly a must see and well deserving of box office support, from movie critics AND martial arts fans: something unusual. In fact, if you look at Rottentomatoes.com, it's getting great reviews from all the major US papers.

Enjoy,

Wall

kungfu cowboy
11-13-2001, 07:58 PM
A wushu horror movie!?! Sounds ah...interesting!

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 07:59 PM
i've heard a lot of good things about this movie. i'm in. no doubt.

stuart b.

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 08:01 PM
"A wushu horror movie!?! Sounds ah...interesting!"

what? you never say "legend of the seven golden vampires"? "chinese ghost story"?

you've been deprived, my dear boy. there's a whole genre (or cross genre) of kung fu horror. blade, come to think of it, fits there too.

Jaguar Wong
11-13-2001, 08:26 PM
Here's another great Kung Fu Horror flick (http://www.thekwoon.com/series/series_movie_ep4.htm).
I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Man that's some scary stuff! :o

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 08:37 PM
tell me you had something to do with this. :)

SifuAbel
11-13-2001, 09:47 PM
Wu shu in swashbucklers is a sin. Think about it, 17th century french guy who does wu shu with no chinese people around. Makes no sense.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 09:49 PM
my friend mark dacascos , mark dacascos is youre friend ???
yeah rite liar

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Crimson Phoenix
11-13-2001, 09:53 PM
Wow, you have that in the US?? Cool, I saw it like 4 times...it's really a different movie, here it has been critized for it's "unrealism" (I'm specially thinking about Dacasco's character and the final evil guy which all Soulcalibur addict will like heheheheh) but actually the director just wanted a big entertaining film that was different from the usual production...and frankly in the beginning staff fight, there's nothing any staff fighter would do...agreed, later in the movie it gets more "gong fu" eventhough once again and all the acrobat stuff aside I see nothing that couldn't be done in savate...
Go see it, it has been compared quite often in his spirit to "Rage of the Tiger" from Chang Che.
And Monica rules, she doesn't look like she's reaching her 40s does she??

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 10:07 PM
hmm... a supernatural thriller that makes no sense.

yep, no room in my world view for that.

come off it. it's entertainment.

besides, if the prevailing theory is that french savate developed from french interactions with asia, what are we really ruling out here?

stuart b.

shaolinboxer
11-13-2001, 10:16 PM
There is a preview for this at www.apple.com/quicktime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime)

Marc Decascos is in it

JWTAYLOR
11-13-2001, 10:18 PM
That girl is not ugly.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Jaguar Wong
11-13-2001, 10:40 PM
Ap Owyen,
I wish I had something to do with "Mummy Dearest". The KWOON (http://www.kwoon.tv) guys Rock! They study at Wing Lam's school, and I met them at Dragonfest 2000. I'm trying to convince them to come down and film a movie in Vegas. That way I could have a small part as a villain. I've been practicing on screen fighting for years, and we've made quite a few films of our own. Unfortunately the "final edits" of a lot of them seem to be lost :(

A couple of them used to post here, and I think someone from Wing Lam's school still does.

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

Crimson Phoenix
11-13-2001, 10:41 PM
Actually, about the staff fight I of course wanted to say that there was nothing a staff fighter wouldn't do...

apoweyn
11-13-2001, 10:58 PM
well, jaguar, let me know if works out. and if there's a part for an asthamtic, near-sighted villain, have 'em give me a call.

and if you ever recover examples of your choreographed stuff, i gotta see it. :)

wall
11-14-2001, 11:10 AM
Hey guys,

it's actually quite different from the HK horror/MA movies, much grittier, slicker and more realistic.
Regarding the MA, Dacascos character has traveled the world, and allegedly picked up his skills elsewhere but France; the French however have been doing a thing called Savate Boxing for some 400-500 years, which they picked up in Asia and has lots of kicks (kind of like a taekwondo).

btw, to whoever has posted a sarcastic comment, Mark and I met when he was living in Europe as a teen (I was younger then him but we kept bumping into each other at various comps) and we still keep in touch when he's travelling through Europe, catch up for dinner and such, so I can call him a friend right? :)

Can't wait until the DVD is out with english sub-titles, here in Italy we are getting an aufully dubbed version.

Wall

JWTAYLOR
11-14-2001, 11:07 PM
Any idea when this thing is going to be in the U.S?

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

wall
11-15-2001, 09:45 AM
Looking at www.rottentomatoes.com (http://www.rottentomatoes.com) looks like the movie is out already in LA and maybe NYC but not yet in other places (Jan 11 full US release). Have a look, they have info and critics reviews at rottentomatoes, whilst the official US site is www.brotherhoodofthewolf.com (http://www.brotherhoodofthewolf.com) ; good site too.

wall