PDA

View Full Version : Isometrics

madhusudan
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I realized I had little isometric training in my routine and gave it a go yesterday by positioning my right shoulder area / upper bicep on a tree and my R leg in front of it and then pushing forward with my upper body and back with my leg. As in a throw. It felt really good to exert maximum strength with that position and I realized isometrics is something I want to get back into doing.

A while back I used to regularly push walls, do wall sits and hold static weights. Somehow those exercise were replaced over time. Not necessarily intentionally, just how routines slowly evolve. Now I think I want to get back to some of these 'movements'.

From cursory research it seems that isometrics can provide a significant increase in strength. Is their relative obscurity due to not helping to develop beach muscles?

Do you include isometrics in your routine? What do you do and what are the benefits you've seen? Or, did you formerly do them and find them worthless or ineffective? I appreciate hearing from all perspectives.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
The problem with isometrics is, well, there are a few:
Strength is increased ONLY at the set position.
Unless you use weights or machines you can't quantify progress.
People tend to do isometric tension and the strongest point of the movement when, to develop a weakness, it should be done at the weakest point.
Most people do NOT know how to do isometrics correctly for their SPECIFIC goals ( if they even have specific goals.

Isometric tension should be used as a part of strength training BUT not as a stand alone.

We have basically 3 types of strength ( from weakest to strongest):
Lifting ( concentric)
Holding ( Isometric)
Lowering (eccentric)

To get a complete ST we should, in theory, work ALL parts but the truth is most don't.

EX:
A simple barbell curl-
When you can no longer curl the bar your concentric strength is done, so you HOLD it in place until you can't any longer and your isometric is done, then you lower the weight for a few reps in a controlled manner until you can't lower it any more and your eccentric strength is done.

madhusudan
07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your reply, Sanjuro. When writing the OP, I was hoping you'd respond.

Your criticisms make total sense - though some of the things I read stated that the strength gains do carry over beyond the set point to a lesser degree. Of course, I would never by choice ONLY do isometrics. From reading what you wrote, though, it is a good idea to reintegrate it into my regime in a supporting role.

Could you go a little further into what kind of specific goals are best addressed by isometrics? In the little reading I have done it seems many people focus on using it for injury rehabilitation. That is not my interest. Are there certain goals for the healthy athlete that are best served by isometrics?

sanjuro_ronin
07-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Thanks for your reply, Sanjuro. When writing the OP, I was hoping you'd respond.

Your criticisms make total sense - though some of the things I read stated that the strength gains do carry over beyond the set point to a lesser degree. Of course, I would never by choice ONLY do isometrics. From reading what you wrote, though, it is a good idea to reintegrate it into my regime in a supporting role.

Could you go a little further into what kind of specific goals are best addressed by isometrics? In the little reading I have done it seems many people focus on using it for injury rehabilitation. That is not my interest. Are there certain goals for the healthy athlete that are best served by isometrics?

Of course, isometrics are great for wall and mountain climbers for example, and in regards to grip work, for judo for example.
Any task that is dependent on "holding" muscular/tendon "contraction" will benefit DIRECTLY from isometrics.
All other tasks will benefit indirectly but still benefit.

bawang
07-12-2013, 05:30 AM
isometrics benefit clinch. ur 2 times as strong in isometric as in concentric. that's how chen xiaowang win push hands

mickey
07-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Greetings,

"Any task that is dependent on "holding" muscular/tendon "contraction" will benefit DIRECTLY from isometrics."

"isometrics benefit clinch."

I absolutely agree with the above two statements. The people that always come to mind when I think about the Bullworker are those who move furniture or deliver heavy packages for a living.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a used TV. I had been playing with a Bullworker for a few weeks before. The time in made moving the television around an easy task. It was one of those big booty heavy TVs.

mickey