PDA

View Full Version : Takedown Defence

RisingCrane
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Just a quick video I uploaded today to explain when to use your horse and when to sprawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNChQl017sQ

Raipizo
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Nice video, I've subscribed and watched nearly all of your content.:D

Golden Arms
07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I like the use of the forearms as a level matching wall of sorts, we do a lot of the same in our Hung training.

kfman5F
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Excellent. Well done!

bawang
07-11-2013, 05:50 PM
your video is useless

Neeros
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
your video is useless

Constructive and wise as always. :rolleyes:

YouKnowWho
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
This clip remind me a Judo guy grabs on your jacket and you keep punching on his head.

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allowed, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading leg and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk much more.

Syn7
07-11-2013, 08:18 PM
This clip remind me a Judo guy grabs on your jacket and you keep punching on his head.

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allow, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk to the minimum.

depends how fast you turn the corner. If you can get in and down quick, it's not so bad. I prefer doubles and sweeps from the clinch for myself, but I've seen some pretty nasty singles on the mat, in the ring and on the street.

But I hear you. If you plan to stay there any length of time, you will get hit. Like they say, you can turn a black belt into a white belt with one punch.

bawang
07-11-2013, 08:31 PM

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allowed, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading leg and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk much more.

longfist fakes overhand to make u block then take down. this is called divine fist

faking a takedown to make u sprawl then punch is called king raise cauldron

pazman
07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
longfist fakes overhand to make u block then take down. this is called divine fist

The names we use in sanda are boring. Sanda coaches should start using awesome names like these.

YouKnowWho
07-11-2013, 08:41 PM

You can also use both palms to uplift your opponent's elbows before dive in.

You have 3 options to get your opponent's leading leg:

To use:

1. both hands,
2. one hand,
3. one leg,

By using method 3, both of your hands are free to deal with your opponent's hands.

Frost
07-12-2013, 01:35 AM
your video is useless

Actually its not that bad other than its a bad shot with no penetration or set up, the forearm shield is a good defense when they shoot hi and from a long distance without setting it up correctly |(ie they aren’t wrestlers) , training level changes with your strikes is a good idea, trying to hit a guy on the way in without stopping his momentum well thats another matter
I disagree with the video though where it says the forearm block is better than the forklift defense though, its all about distance and height: if the guy shoots from a mile out and shoots high shielding with the forarm as you match his level (with or without an underhook) is a good idea, if he shoots high but from a closer distance a level change with double or single underhooks pick up (forklift defence) and turn off is a much better defence because you wont have time or distance to create a bridge/shield with your forearm . The faking and throwing an overhand can be an issue but if you level change correctly your hands protect your head until you dig for the double unders and by that time he should be in too close to hit the overhand
And if they shoot low correctly or set it up right (which was not done in that video) you have to sprawl

bawang
07-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Actually its not that bad other than its a bad shot with no penetration or set up,
that's why its useless

Frost
07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
that's why its useless

so level changes and using the elbow to form a frame are uselessa are they? you see both in MMA a lot, so what exactly makes them useless in this context?

bawang
07-12-2013, 05:26 AM
so level changes and using the elbow to form a frame are uselessa are they? you see both in MMA a lot, so what exactly makes them useless in this context?

bad shot with no penetration or setup

xcakid
07-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Just a quick video I uploaded today to explain when to use your horse and when to sprawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNChQl017sQ

I like it. Have used same technique a time or two. But yeah, if a wrestler gets a hold of you, a sprawl is the way to go. Even then, as you said, if he is faster, you are going to the ground.

One criticism though, you said horse stance, in actuality you are not using Ma-Bu as one of your feet is point at the opponent and your hips are at a 45 degree angle. You are in fact in Sė Lių bų, not Ma bu :p

Frost
07-12-2013, 06:05 AM
bad shot with no penetration or setup

which is what that defense is used for, you have wrestled i believe?
they teach the standard defenses as hand, head, arm then hipships depennding on distance, and its the same here someone shoots from outside range (which happens in MMA all the time) you use this defense as it allows you to stay mobile, if they are closer and still high you use double underhooks, and if its a good wrestling shot you sprawl...

or do you sprawl on evry single takedown defense??

sanjuro_ronin
07-12-2013, 06:14 AM
It's a good clip.
It shows how to deal with a "beginner" takedown ( too far out, no set-up, etc) and also how to deal with a more "tricky" one.

bawang
07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
which is what that defense is used for, you have wrestled i believe?
they teach the standard defenses as hand, head, arm then hipships depennding on distance, and its the same here someone shoots from outside range (which happens in MMA all the time) you use this defense as it allows you to stay mobile, if they are closer and still high you use double underhooks, and if its a good wrestling shot you sprawl...

or do you sprawl on evry single takedown defense??
he is my kung fu brother, I will be frank with him like a man.

im not gonna be polite and lick rising cranes anoos and compliment him, then turn around and mock him when he loses face in a real fight. delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.

a lot of kung fu people are like wild dogs. they don't know anything because they haven't had a good beating. when they get a lesson that they never forget, then they become tame, be good boy, then every time demonstrate technique will be perfect.

YouKnowWho
07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
That clip did not cover the defense against this kind of "single leg".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-hlniEKyk

wiz cool c
07-13-2013, 09:08 PM

im not gonna be polite and lick rising cranes anoos and compliment him, then turn around and mock him when he loses face in a real fight. delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.

a lot of kung fu people are like wild dogs. they don't know anything because they haven't had a good beating. when they get a lesson that they never forget, then they become tame, be good boy, then every time demonstrate technique will be perfect.

pit up or shut up

wiz cool c
07-13-2013, 09:10 PM

put up or shut up .there are givers and takers.which one are
you

bawang
07-13-2013, 09:36 PM
put up or shut up .there are givers and takers.which one are
you

are you challenging me?

RisingCrane
07-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks,mang. I'm cry tear. :')

delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.

I take your point, but I was showing counters, not set ups. The truth is if my opponent did a good job of set up and penetration, the takedown would work!
I don't have anything perfect to put up. It is all a 'work in progress'. EVERYTHING works if your opponent is expecting something else. NOTHING works if your opponent is expecting it. I am sharing some stuff I have used successfully in sparring against pretty good guys. Take it for what it is: I'm no UFC champion, nor am I pretending to be. Out art evolves by sharing and each person can add a little something, make it more effective and test it out in sparring or better, competition.
A lot of what my Sifu told me years ago is only now making sense to me in light of my own experience. I am not a 'tough guy'- I did not have lots of street fights or challenge matches. Because of this I later decided I was missing an important developmental stage in my Kung Fu. To rectify that I have gone to MMA camps, no gi classes, weapon sparring classes etc. I have taught my students from that experience and many of them are doing well in MMA competitions, so I believe I am doing something right.

ok...Losing is how we learn. I try to lose intelligently: Instead of the consequence being a curb stomp or a broken arm, I put myself in environments where there is a safety factor, matts, padded walls etc. The consequence is I tap out, or get hit with a glove. I analyse what happened and retry. There is no need to be beaten like a dog in this day and age. Because of that I can loose 100 times without injury and reap the benefits of the experience so in a real situation I am more likely to prevail.
I am not going to be a 'good boy' for anybody. I do respect everybody, though.:p

That clip did not cover the defense against this kind of "single leg".

No it didn't. Thanks for sharing that. What counter do you recommend for this type of takedown?

RisingCrane
07-14-2013, 05:17 AM
One criticism though, you said horse stance, in actuality you are not using Ma-Bu as one of your feet is point at the opponent and your hips are at a 45 degree angle. You are in fact in Sė Lių bų, not Ma bu

You are quite correct! I was using 'horse' in the generic sense. This is important, because if your front foot is turned in, you will not be able to sprawl effectively if necessary, and you will eat a lot of leg kicks, too. The 6-4 stance is my default fighting stance.

One thing to 'toe in' step IS good for, is quick retreat. For example: In shuttle runs, you would always toe-in step to change direction. If you are using a probe in/out type of strategy, the toe in stance can be good method, but if you are stationary, you will be easy to 'single leg'.

Peace :D

MightyB
07-14-2013, 05:22 AM
I believe you'll need to log into facebook to see this vid, but the very first move is sumi gaeshi https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151703491399675&set=vb.131670893533243&type=2&theater which I've always believed, and used, as a good counter for when you f*ck up and they get the lift on the single leg, but didn't follow through hard enough to get you down on the initial leg pick.

maxattck
07-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I have used the sumi gaeshi often against a single attempt in bjj, and have had good success with it. I even leave my lead leg out to bait guys sometimes. I have a few class mates that will leave there lead leg to invite the single, and take the back off the single attempt. I am not as good with that one, but have pulled it off.

bawang
07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
To rectify that I have gone to MMA camps, no gi classes, weapon sparring classes etc. I have taught my students from that experience and many of them are doing well in MMA competitions, so I believe I am doing something right.

thx for making it clear mang u r have honer

YouKnowWho
09-14-2013, 07:23 PM
What counter do you recommend for this type of takedown?

Sorry that I didn't see your question until today. A "抹脖(Ma Bo) - downward palm strike on the back of your opponent's neck" can be a good counter if you can borrow your opponent's forward momentum.