PDA

View Full Version : Grandchildren of ip man

KungfuCasting
07-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Hello,
I am wondering if Ip Chun and Ip Ching have children.
And if those children are wing chun sifu's.

Thank you very much for the information,

Kind regards,
Kungfucasting

JPinAZ
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Good question...

Because they would surely have the purest, truest, original Wing Chun.

Curious what makes you say that? Or were you being sarcastic?

Grumblegeezer
07-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Curious what makes you say that? Or were you being sarcastic?

No, T Ray is dead serious, and I agree. If Yip Man has grandkids they would have to have the bestest, purest Wing Chun ever. That's because true WC doesn't come from good instruction and hard training. It's a matter of DNA!!! Don't you read Hendrik's posts here? LOL

JPinAZ
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
No, T Ray is dead serious, and I agree. If Yip Man has grandkids they would have to have the bestest, purest Wing Chun ever. That's because true WC doesn't come from good instruction and hard training. It's a matter of DNA!!! Don't you read Hendrik's posts here? LOL

hahaha, silly me, I forgot about all that DNA stuffs:o

GlennR
07-16-2013, 10:06 PM

Ahhh, but you blokes wouldnt be able to identify that DNA as you arent 1850ised!!!!

;)

Neeros
07-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Now I am curious as well though, does Ip Man have grandchildren and do they practice Wing Chun? Not that I would drop everything and go seek to train with them, but this thread has me curious. heh

Vernon
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
In the MYJ book written by Yip Chun (Yip's son) and "edited" by Leung Ting there is a photo of Yip and a grandchild. Although, the caption of the photo also says that Yip's daughter is in the picture. I reckon that this was a mistake and that the caption should have actually read Yip's "daughter-in-law" since I have found it difficult to confirm anywhere that Yip did in fact have any daughters.

I think the photo was from the late 60s or early 70s, so the grandchild in the photo would be in his/her mid to late 40's.

Vajramusti
07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
In the MYJ book written by Yip Chun (Yip's son) and "edited" by Leung Ting there is a photo of Yip and a grandchild. Although, the caption of the photo also says that Yip's daughter is in the picture. I reckon that this was a mistake and that the caption should have actually read Yip's "daughter-in-law" since I have found it difficult to confirm anywhere that Yip did in fact have any daughters.

I think the photo was from the late 60s or early 70s, so the grandchild in the photo would be in his/her mid to late 40's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ip Man did/does have a daughter- took her with him to Macao to get her married.

Vernon
07-17-2013, 08:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ip Man did/does have a daughter- took her with him to Macao to get her married.

I read that somewhere a while back as well; however, I am wondering how accurate that info was. If Yip was able to escape the mainland to Macao with a daughter then I am wondering why he wasn't able to get his entire family out when he fled mainland China in 1949 as an older man.

A friend of mine who speaks Cantonese says that he thinks he recalls an interview of one of Yip's sons who stated that Yip's two daughters had died from "malnutrition" during the Japanese occupation well before Yip had left for Hong Kong.

In any event, there isn't much written information out there in cyberspace that I have been able to uncover.

Vajramusti
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I read that somewhere a while back as well; however, I am wondering how accurate that info was. If Yip was able to escape the mainland to Macao with a daughter then I am wondering why he wasn't able to get his entire family out when he fled mainland China in 1949 as an older man.

A friend of mine who speaks Cantonese says that he thinks he recalls an interview of one of Yip's sons who stated that Yip's two daughters had died from "malnutrition" during the Japanese occupation well before Yip had left for Hong Kong.

In any event, there isn't much written information out there in cyberspace that I have been able to uncover.
-----------------------------------------------
See page 107- Ip Man-Portrait of a Kung Fu master by Ip Ching in cooperation with the late Ron Heimberger.

Vajramusti
07-17-2013, 09:48 PM
-----------------------------------------------
See page 107- Ip Man-Portrait of a Kung Fu master by Ip Ching in cooperation with the late Ron Heimberger.
-------------------------------------

PPS-I do not know whether she is living now and if not when she died. But Ip Man did get her married in Macao.

LoneTiger108
07-18-2013, 03:03 AM
When I was at the original opening of Ip Man Tong in Fatshan I was invited by both Ip Chun and Ip Ching to take a picture of their families. A great honour for me as I was the only westerner there for this picture and some of the children were sitting with me checking out my camera which was charming...

Don't ask me who is who though but I think there are 'great' grandchildren in there too maybe... and sorry that the quality isn't great

http://www.y-y-a.co.uk/theacademy/Gallery/Picture_Viewer/body_picture_viewer_10.html

Vajramusti
07-18-2013, 06:12 AM
When I was at the original opening of Ip Man Tong in Fatshan I was invited by both Ip Chun and Ip Ching to take a picture of their families. A great honour for me as I was the only westerner there for this picture and some of the children were sitting with me checking out my camera which was charming...

Don't ask me who is who though but I think there are 'great' grandchildren in there too maybe... and sorry that the quality isn't great

http://www.y-y-a.co.uk/theacademy/Gallery/Picture_Viewer/body_picture_viewer_10.html

-----------------------------------

Thanks for the picture.
Amazing that one person so widely and globally spread interest in wing chun. I think that it is unprecedented.

Vernon
07-18-2013, 07:34 AM
-------------------------------------

PPS-I do not know whether she is living now and if not when she died. But Ip Man did get her married in Macao.

There are several Ving Tsun websites which include in their "history of VT" sections the information that Yip had two daughters: Yip Ar Sum and Yip Ar Woon.

Still, from what I have read Yip went to Macao very briefly upon fleeing communist China in 1949 in order to avoid punishment for supporting the Chinese Nationalist Party. According to most accounts Yip was near destitute at this point in his life due to having his finances seized and needing to escape persecution from the communists by fleeing to Macau before ending up in Hong Kong. Therefore, it seems unlikely that he would have been in a position to take one of his daughters along with him to Macau during his escape in order to have her wed to someone.

Furthermore, Yip's sons didn't reunite with their father in Hong Kong until the 1960s, so I doubt that Yip took either of his daughters to Macau for a wedding at this time period either. Apparently Yip's wife in Foshan died from illness during the Japanese occupation, so if Yip did have any daughters I would think that they stayed with family on the mainland with their brothers when Yip fled to HK via Macau.

Vernon
07-18-2013, 07:41 AM
-----------------------------------

Thanks for the picture.
Amazing that one person so widely and globally spread interest in wing chun. I think that it is unprecedented.

Yip definitely deserves credit for being the patriarch of modern day Wing Chun, but I dare say that without Bruce's bringing attention to WC that the art would still be relatively unheard of in today's world. I'd reckon that most practitioners started WC due to their desire to learn Bruce's mother art. Although most people who stick with it probably do so because it truly is a unique and wonderful art.

Best,
Vernon

Vajramusti
07-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Yip definitely deserves credit for being the patriarch of modern day Wing Chun, but I dare say that without Bruce's bringing attention to WC that the art would still be relatively unheard of in today's world. I'd reckon that most practitioners started WC due to their desire to learn Bruce's mother art. Although most people who stick with it probably do so because it truly is a unique and wonderful art.

Best,
Vernon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW- BL had nothing to do with my interest in the art, or my sifu's or my sigung's - or TST, Lok Yiu, Ip's Foshan students, WSL, Ng Chan. The Hong Kong, Foshan, Macao seeds were related to
Ip Man as the central figure.
Yes. interest in BL's mother art played a role in the spreading of wing chun.. specially related to BL's great movies.

Vernon
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW- BL had nothing to do with my interest in the art, or my sifu's or my sigung's - or TST, Lok Yiu, Ip's Foshan students, WSL, Ng Chan. The Hong Kong, Foshan, Macao seeds were related to
Yes. interest in BL's mother art played a role in the spreading of wing chun.. specially related to BL's great movies.

No doubt. Yip will probably go down in history as the most important martial arts "grandmaster" of all time. And rightfully so. I recall Linda Lee writing about Yip's instruction for a young Bruce to take a week off from training to contemplate the deeper philosophical implications of the Yin & Yang foundation of Kung Fu, and how this meditation allowed Bruce to have an epiphany concerning the fluidity of water and how this natural phenomena of the universe applies to martial arts. Indeed, the essence of JKD is the natural flow between ranges and the techniques from a variety of arts. I know that WSL and William Cheung played a big role in teaching Bruce Wing Chun, but without Yip's sophisticated understanding of the art there would probably be no JKD. Although, I still feel that without Bruce most of the world would never have heard of this important and pivotal grandmaster.

PalmStriker
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes. interest in BL's mother art played a role in the spreading of wing chun.. specially related to BL's great movies. Same here, I wasn't even aware of Bruce's lineage when I took an interest in WC.

Vernon
07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Same here, I wasn't even aware of Bruce's lineage when I took an interest in WC.

Yeah, well the point is the Kung Fu craze of the 1970s was pretty much single-handedly the result of Bruce's efforts. A lot of the prominent VT instructors who are continuing to popularize the art got their start due to seeking the roots of BL. For instance, David Peterson of the WSL lineage has stated that he wanted to learn from the man who had a huge part in teaching Bruce his Kung Fu. Eric Oram, of the Cheung lineage and who instructs Robert Downey Jr., has stated that he got into martial arts due to Bruce. Wing Chun has spread and become one of the most popular martial arts of all time due to Bruce's connections; so despite some people not starting their journey directly due to BL, they have probably benefited indirectly if only due to the prevalence of qualified places to train. That's great. A rising tide raises all ships.

wingchunIan
07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
maybe i'm unusual but the fact that it was the art done by Bruce Lee actually put me off wing chun for years, it was only when I saw it / felt it close up that I realised what it had to offer.

dfl
07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
this may be somewhat relevant:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=580351325338746

Vajramusti
07-24-2013, 06:07 PM
this may be somewhat relevant:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=580351325338746
----------------------------

Relevant? How? Why?