PDA

View Full Version : kung fu and life

buddhistfist
11-03-2001, 12:04 AM
Any help here would be appreciated.How is it possible to train kung fu and have a girlfriend?Before I started with this girl I would train my kung fu all the time.When I got home from school,thats usually what I did.Now with the new situation I have little time to train except when I go to class.But this is not enough to me.I am not used to such little practice and i feel like I am letting myself down,but I also like this girl and don't want to give that up (besides, this may give me a chance to practice some other stuff,tantric,taoist, :D ) any advice would be appreciated

Jeff Liboiron
11-03-2001, 12:13 AM
Well, you have to think to yourslef, are you willing to give up your Kungfu practice to be with your girlfriend? if not talk to her about it, and if she wants you to give up Kungfu for her, then i'd dump her, but it's your decision, not mine.

There are plenty of girls out there that will understand that Kungfu is a way of life, and you must train everyday, and you can still be with her, but just not as much.

Of course this is comming from a guy that doesn't have a girlfriend :)

good luck :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Cody
11-03-2001, 12:29 AM
It's known as setting priorities, balance. Keeping what is important to you, while sharing yourself with others. You have a time consuming interest which requires concentration. It's part of what makes you you. So, the solution is to schedule your time. While this might be, um, inconvenient at the beginning of a relationship, you will have to do this. Also to take into consideration - whether the girl needs constant attention, or is (or will be) content to do her own thing while you do yours. It is something to consider.
Anyhow, you'll be able to figure what you need and how that fits into having a relationship. Just takes a little effort. It's worth it.

Cody

SevenStar
11-03-2001, 12:37 AM
try to make her understand... heck, try to get her to train also. There would have to be some sort of compromise, as she needs at least a little attention, but she has to realize that there is more to your life than just her.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

wushu chik
11-03-2001, 12:53 AM
This coming FROM A GIRL...I would like to say that my personal opinion would be to talk to your girlfriend, and see if she would like to go with you to classes, so that she can see what you are training so hard for...and what it really means to you.

Having a Kung Fu guy as well, I know what it's like to want to have them at home with me, but there are sacrifices that need to be made!!

I am ALWAYS Kung Fu Fighting.....what about you?

Celestial Amiboshi
11-03-2001, 05:39 AM
You shouldn't have to give up something you love to do for anyone. You owe it to yourself to pursue your interests, so if your significant other has a problem with this, perhaps you should reconsider your relationship with her.

"So close to God, there is talk of a Holy Quadrant."

Kung Lek
11-03-2001, 07:19 AM
from a mans point of view, compromise is necessary to maintain harmony in a realtionship.

However, if you compromise yourself to a point where you are unsatisfied, you have cheated yourself.

Talk it out, tell her what it means to you. If there is no compromise, then set your priorities from that point forward.

Life is not all about self, but it shouldn't be about subjigating your needs for the wants of another either.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

straight blast
11-03-2001, 12:19 PM
Has she given up all of her interests for you? My wife (girlfriend 4 years) understood my MA stuff. Hell, she even joined up. Now she's keen for a stint in boxing. Is she worth giving up who you are? You can't afford to be the "lesser" partner. It must be 50-50. Anything less & one of you is the other's biotch.
Man, chicks are the best. I am fascinated by them & have devoted many years to the study of the fairer sex :D They are great, but don't lose track of your life for one.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Yin Chuan
11-03-2001, 02:23 PM
When my wife and I were first going together we attended martial arts classes together but after about a month or so there were other things that she wanted to do so we gave each other time to do the things that each of us liked to do(our own free time).I dont think we planned it that way or anything ,it just kinda worked out that way.Now after 20 years of marriage and 3 children(one in college)we still give each other that "time"to pursue our own individual interests.Then the time we spend together is even more special as a family. :cool: