PDA

View Full Version : Western drugs in China

GeneChing
07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
How's this for a reversal?

For Global Drug Manufacturers, China Becomes a Perilous Market (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/business/global/for-drug-makers-china-becomes-a-perilous-market.html?global-home)
Aly Song/Reuters
By KATIE THOMAS
Published: July 16, 2013

Multinational drug companies now employ more sales agents in China than they do in the United States, their largest market. Several, including Merck and GlaxoSmithKline, are making huge scientific investments in the country, including building research and development centers. Within the next few years, China is poised to surpass Japan as the world’s second-largest pharmaceutical market.

Chinese demand for drugs is booming, and the country wants its drug makers to compete with the world’s top manufacturers.

The booming Chinese demand for drugs could not come at a better time for Western manufacturers, whose sales have been slumping because of patent expirations in the United States and stringent price controls in Europe.

But selling pharmaceuticals and other health care products in China is increasingly fraught with peril, as shown by accusations in China this week that GlaxoSmithKline funneled payments through travel agents to doctors, hospitals and government officials to bolster drug sales in the country.

Chinese officials have compared the company’s operations to organized crime and have detained four Chinese executives for questioning. Shortly after government investigators raided the Shanghai offices of Glaxo last month, the British executive in charge of the company’s Chinese operations left the country. He has not been back since.

Earlier this month, the top manufacturers of infant formula, including Abbott and Nestlé, lowered their prices in China under government pressure, and Chinese officials have said they are investigating the pricing policies of up to 60 foreign and domestic drug companies.

The rash of investigations is one measure of how critical the health care market has become to global companies — and to the Chinese government. The Chinese have made no secret of their goal of pushing the country’s domestic drug industry into more direct competition with the world’s top manufacturers.

As a result, global companies can expect more scrutiny, said Tarun Khanna, a professor at Harvard Business School who has studied foreign investment in China. “Practices that may have been O.K. some time back may be more scrutinized by foreigners now,” he said, especially as the government seeks to shift from an export-based economy to one that is also focused on selling to Chinese consumers. “They’re trying to get more balance back.”

Several factors are contributing to the boom in China, experts said. China’s growing economy has given rise to a middle class that is increasingly able to afford expensive Western drugs, and to treat conditions — like depression and respiratory illnesses — that may have otherwise gone undiagnosed or unmedicated.

And under a new health care program, China has expanded insurance coverage to hundreds of millions of new patients — 95 percent of the population had insurance in 2011, compared with 43 percent in 2006, according to a recent report by the consulting firm McKinsey & Company. By 2020, China’s total spending on health care is expected to grow to $1 trillion, from $357 billion in 2011, according to McKinsey.

Even as foreign companies raise their investment, the Chinese are also looking to capitalize on the booming health care market. The government identified the medical industry as one of seven major areas for development in its most recent five-year economic plan, and the country’s medical sector invested $160 billion in research and development in 2012, nearly surpassing Japan, according to a recent report by the Boston-based Lux Research.

“China is interested in building a very strong, homegrown industry,” said Kevin Pang, a research director at Lux.

But some believe Western companies will have an edge because consumers may be willing to pay more for brands that are known for high-quality ingredients.

“There are so many drugs that are poor quality in China, so the ability to differentiate yourself is important,” said Craig A. Wheeler, the chief executive of the American generic drug maker Momenta Pharmaceuticals. His company is developing complex drugs known as biosimilars through a business deal with Baxter, which has an established presence in China.

Mr. Wheeler said the recent crackdowns were to be expected. “These markets are maturing, and these markets are going to be therefore more highly regulated,” he said.

GlaxoSmithKline has been struggling to rebuild its image after a $3 billion fine in the United States last year, in which the company admitted to improperly promoting its antidepressants and failing to report safety data about the diabetes drug Avandia. Andrew Witty, who took over as chief executive in 2008, has repeatedly pitched the company as a global leader in ethical practices and said it had moved on from its previous lapses.

Chinese investigators told a different story on Monday, however. At a news conference in Beijing, they said senior executives had organized fake conferences, overbilled for training sessions and paid kickbacks in cash and luxury travel. The illegal activity was funneled through travel agencies, authorities said, some of whom even hired young women to engage in “sexual bribery,” or activities, with Glaxo managers to win long-term contracts with the company.

The Chinese government said it had detained four senior executives — all Chinese nationals — but noted that the British head of the Chinese operations, Mark Reilly, had left the country shortly after authorities raided their offices.

A company spokesman confirmed that Mr. Reilly left China about 10 days ago, and that he was currently working from the company’s offices in Britain. He declined to comment on whether Mr. Reilly planned to return to China.

On Monday, one of the detained executives appeared on Chinese television and admitted to much of the activity, according to news reports. In the interview, Liang Hong, the vice president of operations for Glaxo in China, acknowledged organizing fake conferences and other activities, and said the payments that were made to doctors and government officials contributed to the higher prices of the company’s drugs in China.

In a statement, Glaxo said it was “deeply concerned and disappointed” by the accusations. “GSK shares the desire of the Chinese authorities to root out corruption,” the company said, adding that it had stopped its relationships with the travel agencies identified in the investigation and was reviewing past transactions with them. “These allegations are shameful and we regret this has occurred.”

While some said the investigation was unusual both for its scope and the forceful actions taken by the Chinese government, several analysts said that on some level, such activities are typical of foreign companies seeking to do business in China and other emerging markets.

“Most large-scale bribery investigations focus on the use of intermediaries,” said Richard L. Cassin, who is editor of the FCPA Blog and a lawyer who specializes in such cases. But he said that the accusation by Chinese authorities that Glaxo channeled as much as 3 billion renminbi (about $489 million) through more than 700 travel agencies makes this case more egregious than most. “The question of 700 travel agencies, it’s an astounding number,” he said.

Such practices have attracted growing attention from the United States, which is investigating several large pharmaceutical companies, including Glaxo, according to financial filings.

Last year, the American drug maker Eli Lilly agreed to pay $29 million to settle charges filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission that it had used third parties to funnel bribes to overseas government officials. In China, employees at a Lilly subsidiary falsified expense reports to provide spa treatments, jewelry and other gifts, S.E.C. officials said. Pfizer and the medical device maker Biomet have also recently settled federal charges of bribery in China and other countries.

mawali
07-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Just before my pharma employer was bought out by another, they realized that China was a big market with lax QA initiatives but with the population to return high ROI. They also realized that with modernization (allegedly) people will start comsuming products that are bad for their health, which will increase diabetes, hypertension, etc and these drugs will give a better quality of life when compared to no drug or the incorporation of hygienic principles. Allegedly:D

MarathonTmatt
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Wow...
Thanks for sharing this article. Isn't the world crazy these days, huh? This is sad what GlaxoSmithKline is doing- I honestly believe, and there is an activist- (or at least someone who strives to be well informed)-at the core of my being- that this is the wrong way to go- human rights groups, animal rights groups and corporate watchdog groups ALL are campaigning against this international drug company.
Their long record of animal abuse is astounding, and their drugs have been known to kill people, dozens of documented cases through-out USA, Europe and Africa each. And then of course there are the people working for them- can you say "Power Trip". It is obvious from this article they think they are big-shots who can get away with anything (sexual favors/ intercourse from young women/ scheduling fake meetings). This is not a good or ethical way to run any business, and is EXPLOITIVE. If this is the way the business world works, than I am glad I have always kept my distance and just been a laborer (restaurant, supermarket, landscape, etc).
Also I would like to share the following links (I myself being a red-man) ; In it Chief Oren Lyons of the Onondaga Nation of upper-state NY is talking at a conference, to a room full of corporate CEOs. His basic message is that the modern business model is un-sustainable, and that the economy is running on a green light, but that there was never a yellow or red light put into the model, and one day these people are going to crash into a brick wall (they weren't thinking ahead.)
I think this is relevant because the USA is still doing it, and now many other nations (especially China) are rushing to the top- and this is of course over-the-top ridiculous.
As for me personally, I'd rather lead a clean lifestyle, try not to exploit anybody in my actions, try to be so healthy that I never get sick in the first place, and use natural herbs the old way (as was done by my NDN ancestors- my grandfather knew a lot about roots/ herbs, some song and ceremony- he lived on a reservation part of his life and learned some of those things from his Aunt's family). Also I would like to be strong so I can help other people.
IMO, people don't need 3/4 of these pharmaceutical companies in the first place- they are parasitic and exploitative in nature (shakes head) but I guess that's how those good ol' boys play hard-ball.
Here is a link where Chief Oren Lyon speaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWBNm6qywE&feature=player_detailpage

IMO this is a very important speech. Some food for thought.

madhusudan
08-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Drugs are bad, ummkay? Unless they're made by gargantuan corporations that line politicians' pockets. Then they're okay.

How's that, "First, do no harm" oath working out, Doc?

GeneChing
01-13-2016, 11:20 AM
I wasn't sure where this thread might go when I launched it. This is an interesting direction...

Bayer opens large China plant for traditional Chinese and western OTC meds (http://www.fiercepharmamanufacturing.com/story/bayer-opens-large-china-plant-traditional-chinese-and-western-otc-meds/2016-01-13)
January 13, 2016 | By Eric Palmer

Bayer boosted the reach of its international consumer health business when it picked up Chinese herbal and OTC special Dihon in 2014. Now it has boosted its production capacity with a new plant that will manufacture both western OTC products and traditional Chinese medicines (TCM).

The German drugmaker last week opened the first phase of the 1.4 billion yuan ($213 million) plant in Majinpu in the Yunan province of China. At 111,534 square meters (1,200,542 square feet), it is Bayer's second largest over-the-counter products manufacturing site in the Asia-Pacific, the company said in a statement. Dihon started the plant in 2013 and Bayer took it over after its buyout of the Chinese company in 2014 in a deal that brokerage M.M. Warburg estimated at about €500 million ($680 million).

The first phase of construction has secured GMP approval for part of the TCM production line, Bayer said. But additional work is ongoing that will allow the company to start manufacturing Bayer's key TCM product, Dan E Fu Kang, which is marketed as a gynecological medicine for women's health indications including dysmenorrhea, a Bayer spokesperson said Wednesday.

http://assets.fiercemarkets.net/public/005-LifeSciences/lanceyuen.jpg
Lance Yuen, Consumer Care Head, Bayer China and Hong Kong

Lance Yuen, head of Bayer's Greater China consumer health operations said in the announcement that the site "will boost our manufacturing capacity of TCM products by three times in 2016, and bring about up to triple the manufacturing and supplying capacity for all Dihon products by 2020." When completed in 2020, the site will be a global hub for Bayer's production of traditional Chinese and western medicines.

Dihon has several other manufacturing sites throughout China. According to the company's website, Dihon's main facility had been a facility in Kunming National High-Tech Industrial Development Zone, with a 15,000-square-meter (161,000-square-foot) GMP preparation area.

Bayer, which has been selling in China since the 1930s, already has a significant footprint there. In 2014 it said it would invest €100 million to expand packaging and logistics at its plant in Beijing, making Beijing the largest pharmaceuticals packaging site in Bayer HealthCare's global production network.

But Bayer saw the Chinese market for consumer products as a good opportunity. At the time of its buyout of Dihon, it said the Chinese drugmaker was generating revenues of about €123 million ($168 million). Of course that all came ahead of China's current fiscal difficulties. Last week, the yuan fell to a 5-year low against the dollar amid rampant capital outflows, Bloomberg reports. China's stock market also has fallen significantly, sending shock waves throughout international markets.

herb ox
01-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Not sure what to think about all this.

On the one hand, better manufacturing process and purity could elevate Chinese Medicine to "legitimacy" in the medical establishment and increased popularity.

On the other hand, there will almost certainly be a consequential dilution of the purity of the tradition itself. It's like how ephedra is now banned in the US because someone took a very useful substance to be used in a specific and balanced application (i.e. treat asthma, common cold, arthritis), and turned it into big money and big danger for those who took it to "enhance performance" - now I am afraid to prescribe Ma Huang to my patients who really need it, not to mention it is next to impossible to source the substance.

IMHO big pharma and big business should stay out of the "village physician's" office...

Just my 2 cents worth...

herb ox