PDA

View Full Version : A right handed person uses a left handed technique

YouKnowWho
07-21-2013, 09:21 PM
This girl is right handed but she used a left hand technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClrzVr2nOM

This happen quite often in the throwing art. I don't know this can happen in the "striking art" or not. What's your opinion on this?

-N-
07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
This girl is right handed but she used a left hand technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClrzVr2nOM

This happen quite often in the throwing art. I don't know this can happen in the "striking art" or not. What's your opinion on this?

Depends on how you train. We do it all the time, but we make a point to interchange between right and left leads. That said, most of my old classmates don't use both sides.

When my nephew did boxing at Air Force Academy, he used both left and right leads during his matches. He just switched without thinking, because of his kung fu training. They told him that was not allowed, and made him use only left lead.

Most times you see people favor one side. It is really apparent when they spar and awkwardly switch back to their "starting" side after they throw a few shots.

mickey
07-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Greetings,

In "training", it is good to train both sides. Sometimes, training the opposite side can give tremendous insights to what other options are available that would not be seen otherwise.

Gains can be gained from using only one arm, both arms tied, both legs tied, eyes covered, etc.

mickey

Yum Cha
07-22-2013, 01:56 AM
I like changing leads.

YouKnowWho
07-22-2013, 03:45 AM
If A

- and B wrestle all the time,
- is more skillful than B,
- is right handed,

A can turn B into a left handed wrestler.

As a right handed wrestler, A will only allow B to enter from his right (B's left), but won't allow B to enter from his left (B's right). After a period of time, sine B never had chance to use right side techniques, B will become a left handed wrestler.

David Jamieson
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm right handed in most things, left in some and ambidextrous in others still.

In the kung fu I've learned, everything was taught on both sides.

Except for the North Shaolin weapons which were all right hand favoured, with the empty hand sets having a mix of both sides.

TaichiMantis
07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
I like changing leads.

What he said ;)

Yum Cha
07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm right handed in most things, left in some and ambidextrous in others still.

In the kung fu I've learned, everything was taught on both sides.

Except for the North Shaolin weapons which were all right hand favoured, with the empty hand sets having a mix of both sides.

Pak Mei has definite right and left techniques. You can learn them from either side, and I know some that work on that. I've picked a few myself. But, there's something to a left or right attack technique, especially if you are encountering a standard left lead.

Changing leads is more about presenting 'nothing' as opposed to something. Movement from movement is quicker and more fluid than from stop to start as well. IMHO

Yum Cha
07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
What he said ;)

Cigars and Scotch on the balcony?

Neeros
07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Our basic training system teaches both sides. I'm naturally a southpaw when I fought like a kickboxer, but in kung fu the first 4 combat sequences deal with left leg forward, and I trained those for a year till I learned the first of the 4 right leg forward combat sequences.

mooyingmantis
07-22-2013, 06:46 PM
We train both sides equally for fighting and sparring. I practice my forms from both sides as well and encourage my students to do the same.

-N-
07-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm not saying I'm completely ambidexterous though. And I don't have an interest in achieving that.

I have striking techniques that I favor on one side vs. the other. Some, I do on either side.

Mainly, I make a point to have things that I can rely on without being concerned about which side is forward. That way, I always can follow up regardless of position.

YouKnowWho
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
I like to train different techniques on different sides. This way, I can develop twice as many techniques and twice as good. Even if I may train some techniques on both sides, I may only use right side techniques for "offense", and left side techniques for "defense and counter".