PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have MMA gloves...

MightyB
08-01-2013, 10:21 AM
...what TCMA techniques do you think are likely to find new use in combat sports?

David Jamieson
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
...what TCMA techniques do you think are likely to find new use in combat sports?

collar bone clutch, cradle blows, fat roll ups, TMJ press, bubbling well piercing (lao gong point piercing), muscle clutching,,,

there's lots, but I don't think your average mma guy even thinks about such thing let alone train them. mind you, I think those aren't really trained by many tcma-ists either. Not in any real way.

I think quite a lot of traditional methods that develop some of the skills are lost or people aren't interested because they take such a long time to get good at.

Orion Paximus
08-01-2013, 11:53 AM
lol you guys act like we haven't been able get fingerless gripping sparring gloves for the last 30 years.

YouKnowWho
08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
If you can "wrap" your opponent's arms with 16 oz boxing gloves, you should have no problem with MMA gloves. Since you will use your "forearm" to do the wrapping, whether you have gloves on or not won't make much difference.

MightyB
08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
lol you guys act like we haven't been able get fingerless gripping sparring gloves for the last 30 years.

Then why's you not represent'n? Yo

http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/20060622_flava_flav.jpg

David Jamieson
08-02-2013, 06:43 AM

True enough. If you were into Shooto in the 80's you were aware of them at least.

MightyB
08-02-2013, 07:02 AM
True enough. If you were into Shooto in the 80's you were aware of them at least.

We have fingerless gloves, yet there hasn't been any dramatic changes to the striking game in strategy or technique. So what's the point? You can either drill a new skill for the striking game that's dependent on fingerless gloves - or say f*ck it, striking is boxing and that's all. There hasn't been a lot of evolution beyond maybe the addition of a few palms (Pride). They may facilitate throwing, but that's debatable because you see the same throws that can be done with regular boxing gloves.

The only range that's benefited from the openfingered design is the grappling range. Are you all happy with that, or is that all that can be done?

bawang
08-02-2013, 07:02 AM

what is the... sparing? it like the toffee or hooey loois?

David Jamieson
08-02-2013, 09:00 AM
We have fingerless gloves, yet there hasn't been any dramatic changes to the striking game in strategy or technique. So what's the point? You can either drill a new skill for the striking game that's dependent on fingerless gloves - or say f*ck it, striking is boxing and that's all. There hasn't been a lot of evolution beyond maybe the addition of a few palms (Pride). They may facilitate throwing, but that's debatable because you see the same throws that can be done with regular boxing gloves.

The only range that's benefited from the openfingered design is the grappling range. Are you all happy with that, or is that all that can be done?

I don't think the striking is dependent on the fingerless. I think grappling skills are, grabbing, clutching. In TCMA there are many strikes that start as a strike and end with a tearing or clutching. Particularly in Tiger or Dragon type styles.

I use them to train full spectrum of what's available. I don't use them for bag work though. I have a 12 oz set of standard boxing gloves for that and a speed bag set as well.

MightyB
08-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't think the striking is dependent on the fingerless.

That's kind of what I'm saying in a sense, and it's what's bothering me. We have fingerless gloves and that should open up a new range of possibilities in the striking game. But it's not. Because we still are seeing the Same Ol Sh*t in combat sports. So that leads to one of two conclusions. One is that striking is boxing. Done deal, nothing more to be said. The other is that we're not exploiting the opportunities of fingerless gloves.

I prefer the 2nd. So how do we increase the use of unorthodox techniques... grabs, pulls, traps, presses etc.?

bawang
08-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I prefer the 2nd. So how do we increase the use of unorthodox techniques... grabs, pulls, traps, presses etc.?

on the other thread you said you know trapping doesn't work, but you enjoy it. "do what you like". so theres your answer. you are free to do "what you like" in the confines of your kung fu class and in the confines of your imagination.

MightyB
08-02-2013, 09:40 AM
on the other thread you said you know trapping doesn't work, but you enjoy it. "do what you like". so theres your answer. you are free to do "what you like" in the confines of your kung fu class and in the confines of your imagination.

No, I said:

whatever guys - do what you like.

trapping and set ups, at least as how I define it being a mantis guy works. And I see value in using focus mitts.

MasterKiller
08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
You can't grab collarbones in MMA, and muscle clutching has been in use since the beginning. However, it is illegal to "rip" muscles if you clutch them.

bawang
08-02-2013, 10:09 AM
No, I said:

you said "whatever". means you don't care. that's good to do your own thing, but when you try to actually use that sh1t, reality doesn't care either.

Orion Paximus
08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
what is the... sparing? it like the toffee or hooey loois?

It's where we all strip down to briefs, get really sweaty, then roll around on each other while trying to grip our "opponent" with fingerless MMA gloves.

As of this posting, I remain undefeated.

Kellen Bassette
08-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Increased usage of parrying/deflecting. We are seeing MMA folk train this more, instead of just covering.

crazedjustice88
08-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I actually can't use mma gloves. I prefer boxing gloves for my hop gar. I feel that I can unleash a little more and hit harder with the extra padding without having to worry about hurting people in a friendly sparring match. Now in the ring thats a different thing entirely, but I'm not a fighter, I just spar with my classmates and friends to get better.

I have seen people though use the mma gloves to a very good effect. Namely, some SPM guys from a tournament a couple of years ago. Other then that? I have see most treat them like boxing gloves and not use any actual techniques that would become viable due to the gloves. But then again, this is just what I have witnessed personally.

David Jamieson
08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
You can't grab collarbones in MMA, and muscle clutching has been in use since the beginning. However, it is illegal to "rip" muscles if you clutch them.

That sh1ts too deadly for the ring you see... :p

bawang
08-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I have seen people though use the mma gloves to a very good effect. Namely, some SPM guys from a tournament a couple of years ago. Other then that? I have see most treat them like boxing gloves and not use any actual techniques that would become viable due to the gloves. But then again, this is just what I have witnessed personally.

southern boat boxing can never be used in the ring.

crazedjustice88
08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
southern boat boxing can never be used in the ring.

Haha and why not?

Vash
08-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Ever tried to fit a ****ing boat in the octagon?

bawang
08-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Haha and why not?

because southerners settle their differences by fighting on a boat, no footwork no dodging. its obscure ritualized fighting with no application to today.

pazman
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
because southerners settle their differences by fighting on a boat

Sounds like a new event to revitalize kung fu tournaments.:p

crazedjustice88
08-07-2013, 01:48 AM
because southerners settle their differences by fighting on a boat, no footwork no dodging. its obscure ritualized fighting with no application to today.

I'm assuming your talking about southern kung fu? Haha

Vash: Clever...hahaha