PDA

View Full Version : Dominick Izzo against a bigger guy (Chi Sau)

BPWT
09-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Hmmmm... muscle against muscle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_oEeMKY6c&feature=youtu.be

(Jury is still out over whether DI is TC101). :)

Graham H
09-17-2013, 04:44 AM
...............and some people don't understand why Wing Chun is generally laughed at :rolleyes:

Graham H
09-17-2013, 06:16 AM
I expect BPWT and the other arm glue gang will like it lol

k gledhill
09-17-2013, 07:47 AM
"The five step drill" :eek:
http://youtu.be/uNZ2Ijsj6L0

Nice clip.........

Paddington
09-17-2013, 08:12 AM
"The five step drill" :eek:
http://youtu.be/uNZ2Ijsj6L0

A great video, thanks for posting it! I really like Tommy's stuff. He is yet another person I would like to hook up with at some point.

BPWT
09-17-2013, 08:15 AM
I expect BPWT and the other arm glue gang will like it lol

Nope. :) There is nothing in that Chi Sau that I like.

Edit: There's quite a few things I find shocking in this clip, but what is very strange (to me at least) is that Izzo is said to have 14 years in Wing Chun, and yet he still had the other guy's hand planted to his face most of the time (and the other guy has just a few years in the art).

JPinAZ
09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
"450 pound seated bench press"... what does that have to do with WC?

guy b.
09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
wow

I hope tc101 comes back and confirms or denies.

Grumblegeezer
09-17-2013, 07:30 PM

What? Weren't you taught that WC was a strength based system? It's a little known secret that both Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun bench pressed massive stones on a daily basis.

BPWT
09-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Fool! When we get taken down and someone applies their ground game... we can just lift them off us. :D

Graham H
09-17-2013, 11:42 PM
It's a little known secret that both Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun bench pressed massive stones on a daily basis.

Hahahahahahahahah :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Frost
09-18-2013, 01:25 AM

what's the difference between a seated, standing and a laying down bench press??????

wingchunIan
09-18-2013, 03:38 AM
what's the difference between a seated, standing and a laying down bench press??????

Doesn't a bench press by definition involve lying on a bench? Maybe he means incline bench which I guess is more seated

wingchunIan
09-18-2013, 03:43 AM
Nope. :) There is nothing in that Chi Sau that I like.

Edit: There's quite a few things I find shocking in this clip, but what is very strange (to me at least) is that Izzo is said to have 14 years in Wing Chun, and yet he still had the other guy's hand planted to his face most of the time (and the other guy has just a few years in the art).

totally agree, the attempt at chi sao looked like two beginners trying to use strength and all full of tension. No evidence of any ability to use energy or ability to use footwork to create angles and openings.

Ali. R
09-18-2013, 03:48 AM
In ‘Wing Chun’, it’s not how talented one is, but who you know that will give you the respect and notoriety; frame is the name of this game. Let’s face it; there are many reasons why one could be a bum practitioner or a very good one in this system, and 90% of the time talent will never have anything to do with it.

Take care,

Frost
09-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Doesn't a bench press by definition involve lying on a bench? Maybe he means incline bench which I guess is more seated

I thought that too About the bench press :) there's a seated and standing military press but never heard or a seated bench press :) and a 450 seated military press would be...impressive to say the least.......

Wayfaring
09-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I thought that too About the bench press :) there's a seated and standing military press but never heard or a seated bench press :) and a 450 seated military press would be...impressive to say the least.......

Because all the Nautilus machine users need to be bad@$$es too. ;)

anerlich
09-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Could be on a machine where you sit in a chair and press handles or whatever horizontally, as opposed to lying on a bench and pressing the weight vertically.

Dunno, though, first I've heard of it too.

JKim
09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Yep, it's on a machine. You can see him doing the 450 on one of his videos.
But I've never seen anyone on any workout/fitness/bodybuilding forums ever talk about what they can do on anything other than freeweights cause they'd get laughed at for bragging about their numbers machine lifts.

He's probably in decent shape, but mentioning the 450 seated benchpress really is trying to make yourself sound stronger than you are. I'm guessing his true benchpress is like half of that.

Cause first, it's a machine, so its much easier than free weights.
Second, if you watch his vid, he's doing it kinda like a decline press, which you can always do more weight than a real flat bench.
And third, his range of motion isn't that impressive. You can always do a lot more weight doing lockouts.

wingchunIan
09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
to be fair, whilst it has nothing to do with Wing Chun, being able to press 450lbs which by my reckoning is about 200kg in real money even on a machine is bloody good going, certainly a lot more than I can move.

Vajramusti
09-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Didnt want to start a new thread.See an interview with WSL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a lot of drills when you teach?
In Hong Kong we don’t use a lot of drills. We teach sticking hands and build everything into it.

Source: http://www.vingtsunforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.0

Paddington
09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Didnt want to start a new thread.See an interview with WSL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a lot of drills when you teach?
In Hong Kong we don’t use a lot of drills. We teach sticking hands and build everything into it.

Source: http://www.vingtsunforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.0

Thanks for the link.