PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Animal style :/

jon
11-15-2001, 01:08 PM
Im not doing this to start a war rather i thought it could be a good laugh.
Please try and use ones you have at least seen SOMEWHERE.
My award go's to Crab Kung Fu which i saw advertised in a hong kong school online and also once saw in a movie.
Now i know that movies are obviously different to real kung fu but still this was hillarious.
There were 3 fighters using it. They used crab claw hands a lot of chin na and constandly scuttled around to the sides like crabs do.
How do people think to come up with these systems what the heck go's though there heads!
I mean many i compleatly understand but CRAB! Ive also heard of elephant and deer boxing :rolleyes:
hehe each to there own.
Please dont take offence to this its not meant as an insult to ANYONE and i study animal kung fu myself within Hung Ga.
Its just to see what other ones people have seen bantered about.

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

straight blast
11-15-2001, 01:51 PM
I've heard of Rabid Dog style.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Fish of Fury
11-15-2001, 02:27 PM
jet li did chicken style in one of the OUATIC spin offs.
the shields for wings and the silly hat were just fab!

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Sharky
11-15-2001, 03:46 PM
"just fab!"

uh... what did you just say?

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Kristoffer
11-15-2001, 05:07 PM
5 animal kungfu?
NO
5 pockemon kungfu :eek:

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Chang Style Novice
11-15-2001, 05:42 PM
Although I'm certainly no expert, I've learned a form for Elephant kungfu. My teacher learned it from Doc Fai-Wong, so it may be affiliated with the Choy Li Fut system and is almost certainly a southern chinese style - makes sense, as you'd expect an Elephant Form to have something to do with Indian martial arts rather than Chinese. Anyway, a quick and rough description follows.

The fist used in elephant kungfu keeps the second knuckle of the fingers tucked tight against the thumb, which in turn is held across the palm. This creates a kind of 'pointed' striking surface with the main knuckles (where the finger meets the back of the hand) for backhanded strikes and another at the first knuckle for forward and spinning strikes. (I've never learned jaguar style, but from what I've read the fist configuration is somewhat similar.) Footwork is in short steps, and hard to predict on account of a great deal of front and back scissor-stepping and spinning movement. There are only three kicks - a low snapping front kick aimed at the groin and low side kicks to either side aimed at the knee. The low side kicks are accompanied by a shoulder height straight side punch to clock the head if your opponent tries to block or redirect the kick with a low hand technique. Other foot attacks are sweeps accompanying hand throws. There are a lot of elbow strikes, including rising elbows that double as blocks for blows to the head, side elbows that are aimed at an opponents ribs and accompany a 'trunk pull' of an attacking hand with the opposite arm, and a double side elbow for opponents close in to your left and right. Fist strikes come in many directions, the most common of which in the form is a shoulder-height spinning blow with power generated from a scissor step twist and swiveling hips. There are also uppercuts, over-the-head drop punches which generate power from a bending waist and knee, downward diagonal arc punches with the thumb side of the fist, backfists, and an interesting intercepting punch aimed at the funny bone of a lunging jab.

As I said, I'm no expert, but I believe elephant kunfu is intended to be used for infighting at punching range, the bridge between punching range and the clinch, and the striking from the clinch itself. It may also have uses for dealing with two opponents at once, expecially if they are both close to you. JWT has also learned the form, and has mentioned that the unpredictable twisting motions of elephant kungfu help to obscure the practitioners centerline and allow him or her to strike from unusual angles.

There's a bit more info at <a href="http://www.taichiherb.com</a>Tai Chi People's website</a>, although not much is known about the origin of the style.

Hope this helps.

(edits due to spelling and grammar errors)

[This message was edited by Chang Style Novice on 11-16-01 at 07:54 AM.]

[This message was edited by Chang Style Novice on 11-16-01 at 07:56 AM.]

JWTAYLOR
11-15-2001, 05:47 PM
Another of the pecurliarities of the Elephant Kung Fu form is that it turns only one side fully to the opponent. It obscures the rear weapon from an opponent in front of you, but it also puts your centerline perpendicular to them. I would consider it a markedly defensive form.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Wongsifu
11-15-2001, 09:51 PM
hehe man what a thread my sifu once told me about one of his teachers friends who was one of the best in china about 40 years ago at duck boxing , yup duck stle he even showed me some moves, i was like okay you think tai chi is complex duck boxing is like .....

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

IronFist
11-15-2001, 09:53 PM
Gay Duck Kung Fu

KC Elbows
11-15-2001, 09:58 PM
Not a style, but there's a move in one of our forms that is fashioned after a cow/bull. It's a shoulder attack.

City, your toast will never go unbuttered again! -The Tic

IronFist
11-15-2001, 10:04 PM
Hey I was just kidding about the Gay Duck thing. I have nothing against ducks, it's just duck is probably the funniest animal that you can pair with the word "gay."

But really, you want dumb animal styles?

Mating Dove Kung Fu
Wounded Ant Kung Fu
Aardvark Nose Fist
Sloth Kung Fu (and you though Tai Chi guys moved slow)
***** Toad Kung Fu

Iron

IronFist
11-15-2001, 10:05 PM
holy ****! I can't say *****?!! (h o r n y)? What if I want to talk about ***** toads? you moderators do know that ***** toads are a kind of toad, right? how are we supposed to discuss ***** toads if we can't say *****?

Iron

Jeff Liboiron
11-15-2001, 11:23 PM
I've never seen it but i've heard of Alligator style, i think that would be kinda weird

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

dubj
11-15-2001, 11:35 PM
There are no aardvarks, ***** toads, or sloths in china. There are alligators though.

Tvebak
11-16-2001, 12:05 AM
I can imagine what duck style must be in fighting aplications.
I once saw a duck defending its young from a seagull by biting its wing and repeatedly slamming it into the ground whle beating it with its wings...funniest thing i ever saw:)

KC Elbows
11-16-2001, 12:08 AM
When I lived in Minnesota, I saw a group of ducks clear out a topless beach. My teenage eyes were rivetted as I rode by on my bicycle. :eek:

City, your toast will never go unbuttered again! -The Tic

Shaolindynasty
11-16-2001, 04:46 AM
Does anybody have the video Dragons of the orient? It has some demonstration of Duck boxing, the guy was wadleing back and forth like a duck. The video is also dubbed in english with all the "kungfu flick" soundeffects so during the duck demo they added "quacking" funny stuff

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

straight blast
11-17-2001, 12:06 AM
Has anyone seen "Drunken Master III"? The worlds worst MA movie? One guy in there does "Pansy fist" which is basically adopting the limp-wristed "sissy-boy" style of really camp gay people. It's totally lame.
I also saw a really old Jackie Chan movie in which he learned "4 emotion style" (I think that was what it was called). All these moves for happy, sad, angry, and laughing. I think that they were just something he made up, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise.
The sad fist cracked me up! :D :D :D

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

Royal Dragon
11-17-2001, 01:14 AM
Hey, I saw a book on that one somewhere once!!!

Oh, I'm sorry, it was the Menue from Happy Garden, my favorite Chinese joint (till they closed :( )

Seriously though, I think Shaolin Brand Inc sells the Nine Way Manderian Duck manual. It's on the list for my library, just because of the sillynes factor.

Royal Dragon

Those that are sucessful are also the biggest failures. the difference between them and the rest of the failures is this, they keep getting up over and over again, until they succeed. "The more they try, the more they fail, BUT, the more they try & fail, the more opertunity they have to succeed, and succeed they do!!"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Brad
11-17-2001, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I also saw a really old Jackie Chan movie in which he learned "4 emotion style" (I think that was what it was called). All these moves for happy, sad, angry, and laughing. I think that they were just something he made up, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise.
The sad fist cracked me up! [/quote]
That would be one of the Fearles Hyena movies. Great flicks :D
That Duck style is pretty crazy looking! Someone told me it's supposed to be good for the spine though :)

jon
11-17-2001, 04:52 PM
This actualy aint soooooo far from the truth as is the case with many of Jackys early movies.
In Hung Ga[my style] the last set is named Iron Wire. Which if you remember the dubbed english version as foundly as i do is the same system that the emotion techniques where said to be derived from. Least words to that effect.
The iron wire set whilst not 'really' being a fighting set does certainly make use of emotions as well as sounds.
Still darn that movie rocked, ive got about 35+ kung fu movies on dvd and if i ever see that one where i live ill snap it up in a second.
Remember how cut Jacky was in that movie looked like he used to be a body builder and someone had squashed him flat.

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Daniel Madar
11-17-2001, 05:47 PM
In one of the "Living Treasures of china" tapes, there is a guy who does Turtle style. It is High-Larious.

The best part is when the guy lays on his back and waves his arms and legs like a turtle trying to flip itself over.

It's way funnier than the duck style.

Merciless is Mercy.

dooder
11-17-2001, 11:57 PM
In '99 kung fu magazine had an artical about odd and rare animals. They had bear, scorpian, and some others but the stangest of all and the one I found most fascinating was fetus style. It said In china they consider the fetus an animal until actual birth so this was considered an animal style. They said it had crouched in san ti like stances and lots of elbows and head butts or something. Anyone know about this style? I'd live to find out more.

HungGar123
11-18-2001, 06:37 AM
Paulie zink's style..

http://www.chinesekungfuonline.com/images/fake/11.jpg

http://www.chinesekungfuonline.com/images/fake/12.jpg

Hung Gar is the best...

Kung Lek
11-18-2001, 07:18 AM
wow, talk about not wanting to eat beans at all.
what the heck is that? A hair check? :D hahahahahha.

Daniel, you mentioned "turtle" I have heard this called terrapin.

there's many animal styles, none of them are particularly weird, it's just unusuallness of the defenses and attacks and particular form that gives a tech it's name.

Hyperbole rules the day in Chinese names for things to let's not forget. after all, do you shop at the market in chinatown or do you shop at the superr happy double lucky golden market? :D

By the way, the technique of covering the head, sitting into a horse stance and horizontally punching to either side is known as "precious duck", it's found in a lot of styles under a few different names.

Hsing I has a bunch of animals, none that are too weird though. Emei monkey style looks weird besides being way hard to perform.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

wooha
11-18-2001, 01:46 PM
That Jet Li - Shaolin Art of War video has an old master of duck style demonstrating some techniques, complete with quacking sounds. Cracked me up.

The funniest bit though, was when they showed a dog stylist leaping about. At one point he crouched on the ground and kicked his leg to the side, and the video cut away to a shot of a dog urinating against a wall.