PDA

View Full Version : Most popular kung fu in HK?

NafAnal
11-15-2001, 02:41 PM
When Bruce Lee was growing up in HK, if memory serves me correct, the only systems mentioned in the rooftop challenges were wing chun, mantis and CLF. I presume these were the most poular systems.

Does anyone have any info as to what other systems were popular in HK at that time and why? how come no internal school was cleaning up?

Richie
11-15-2001, 02:47 PM
I hear that Tai Shing Pek Kwar was famous during the late 60s and early 70s, but maybe thats after what you are talking about.

Kristoffer
11-15-2001, 05:09 PM
How about BEJING then? Whats the most popular kung fu there?

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Kung Lek
11-15-2001, 05:58 PM
to the best of my knowledge the most popular styles in Hong Kong are:

CLF, Wing Chun, White Crane, Hung Gar, Chen and Yang and Wu Tai Chi, Pi Gua is geting very popular.

Other styles are there for sure, emperors axe fist has some popularity but is not as widely practiced.

Also, "Shaolin" Tiger, Tiger/Crane.

In beijing it's contemporary Wu Shu all the way.
People there like their Tai chi and also Chi Kung.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Xebsball
11-15-2001, 06:08 PM
Wasnt Lau Fat Mang's eagle claw popular too? I dont know I'm just asking.

-------------------------
"I AM EFFECTIVNESS"

Crimson Phoenix
11-15-2001, 06:10 PM
Man I really have to touch some Pigua one day before I die...

NafAnal
11-15-2001, 06:11 PM
How come no xingyi or Bagua?

I wanna give Baji a go....

Paul Skrypichayko
11-15-2001, 07:50 PM
Not too many northern styles in the south, and almost no southern kung fu inside China.

I think the first bagua people didn't come to Hong Kong until around WW2. Like Xingyi, it was mainly in the north of China. Bagua was centered in Beijing and Tianjin and then slowly spread to Shanghai, Anhui, Taiwan, etc.

Some of my friends from China just say "what the hell kung fu is that? they just stand around and dont do anything" when seeing southern kung fu.

Wing Chun was popularized because of Bruce Lee, and Dai Sing pek kua (monkey style) became popular after Chan Sau Chung's students won some tournaments. Chan Guen Tai was one of the winners, and he went on to a movie career at Shaw Brothers.

I've heard that back in the day, there was lots of hung gar, choy li fut, and white crane.

With the fighting and challenges in the last 50-60 years, I've heard it was mainly among Wing Chun, White Crane, and Choy Li Fut

Adamdd
11-16-2001, 12:17 AM
From the 70’s, Monkey king Chan Sau Chun's students won many recognized big kung fu tournament, especially the one called Southeast open martial arts tournament. All the styles in Asia like HK, China, Taiwan, Malay, Singapore ..etc.. sent their best students to “fight”. Tai shing pek kwar was the only one who won 4 champions in a row.

I like Tai Shing Pek Kwar becauase they have a solid background and history.

Paul Skrypichayko
11-16-2001, 03:25 AM
The tournaments were big, but loosely organized, and not everyone competed. The tournaments got lots of publicity though, and really brought up Dai Sing Pek Kua's reputation.

Daredevil
11-16-2001, 03:53 AM
Heh, I've asked this before, but never got a sure answer .. is the Pek Kwar in Tai Shing Pek Kwar same as Pigua?

Sure looks a bit like it (based on just pictures seen of Tai Shing Pek Kwar), but anyone know for sure?

I'd find that humorous, since I've practised Tai Shing and may practise Pigua one day when my Baji teacher decides I'm good enough. :)

firepalm
11-16-2001, 11:09 AM
I hate to say it but it's Tae Kwon Do... yes TKD actually is very widely practiced in HK. Makes me cringe... Perhaps though if you wanted to narrow it down strictly to CMA then the most popular actual Chinese style would be Tai Chi.

Kristoffer
11-16-2001, 12:59 PM
My school somethimes go there and invites guest instructors/sifus and they usually teach some Bagua or hsing-I. Im not sure that they acctually live in beijing, but somewhere in China :rolleyes:

Where is all the traditional kungfu? Its all in Taiwan/Formosa.. Thats where the masters fled from the commies.

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --