PDA

View Full Version : Broaden horizons or stick to basics?

Budoka
11-03-2001, 06:12 AM
This is something I was thinking about the other day. Do you guys feel that it's better to stay in one art for several years (like 9 or 10 years), or to train in a style for maybe 4 or 5 years and then go out and learn new arts? The floor is open to whomever wants it.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-03-2001, 06:55 AM
Traditionally they say it is best to stick to one style. All the masters that I have ever read about have trained in a few styles. I thing if you feel confident enough to move on then you should. Training in various styles can be extreemly hard especially if the styles are similar. Dedication to your training is key. Finding good teachers is a must.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Grahf1
11-03-2001, 07:05 AM
Don't buy into that crap about having to gain a mastery of one art before moving onto the next.

Move on to other arts.

Kung Lek
11-03-2001, 07:14 AM
whatever you learn, you can only hang onto with practice. 1 art or 5, it doesn't make a difference, if you fail to practice any of them, you will rust and have wasted your time.

with martial arts you don't learn someting and just move onto the next thing, you start one wheel turning, then another and so on. It s essential that all wheels be kept turning for as long as you wish to know those wheels.

It ain't like riding a bike at all. if you don't continue, you forget. If you forget, you may as well have never learned.

just my opinion.
peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

SevenStar
11-03-2001, 07:47 AM
It's cool to switch arts, if that's what you want to do. Before you consider that though, make sure you understand the principles behind your style, as they will be similar/same in the next art you study. Also, ask yourself why you are changing styles. If you are just looking to add to what you currently know, you may consider crosstraining, or training with a friend that trains in the style you are interested in. The experience will be invaluable to you. I noticed that your background is JMA. Are you looking to change to CMA or grappling? (just out of curiosity)

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Johnny Hot Shot
11-03-2001, 07:52 AM
So when do you know what to hold on to and what to dismiss as flowery useless playing?

Practice makes perfect. This is why basics are so good to practise they are also easier to remember.

An example. Before I went tree planting in 93' I had 19 kata down. I still remeber 11 solid the rest are cloudy from lack of practise over the years.

I have learned one valuble lesson from that and it is practise the newest material fist and the most.

Always practise basics, a good solid stance is universal.

Train and spar as many people as you can from as many styles as you can.

When it comes to kata I have learned 4 variations of the same kata in as many styles. And that it takes me at least 3 times to run through the movements before I can retain them.

Time management is really important. Unless your independantly weathy then you need to work. You probably have a significnat other you need to spen time with them.

Time management. the more knowledge you learn the longer it taks to practise all the moves to go through all is being sloppy.

How much time does it take to perfect the Technique?

Is it beer, beer, bourbon or bourbon, bourbon, beer?

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson