PDA

View Full Version : Blind Detective and The Lone Ranger

Stickgrappler
10-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Hello,

Had time finally to watch 2 movies, in what was ages after watching my last movie.

Watched a Hong Kong movie, Blind Detective (2013)and The Lone Ranger from Disney with Johnny Depp

Blind Detective is sort of a sequel to director Johnnie To's Mad Detective (2007) - the only similarities are that both movies feature a very good detective. To directed the duo of leading man Andy Lau (mega superstar in Asia) and leading lady Sammi Cheng for the 3rd time. The previous movies were commercial successes. To wanted to work with the pair again. BD is a comedy/crime drama. I misinterpretted the trailer and thought it was a serious crime drama. I preferred the superiour Mad Detective over BD, but BD had its moments. If you are any fan of Lau/Cheng/To, you probably will watch BD regardless of what i say. But if you aren't a fan, you can pass on this. Although if you have time, i recommend you check it out. I liked it despite what it may sound from my mini-review. It's just that I expected something else given the previous To effort in the "zzz Detective" series. If you only have time for one movie and haven't seen it yet, Mad Detective is a must see. It will challenge the viewer, it's not easy to get through, but i feel the movie will unfold with some surprises that will reward your viewing experience. It totally mindfragged me and i loved it!

The Lone Ranger - heard it got bad reviews and may not have done well at the box office. it was roughly 2 hrs and 30 mins long - about 30-45 mins too long IMO. it was entertaining in points, but it was no Pirates of the Carribean. my kids enjoyed it overall (15, 12, and 10). i liked it, but not enough to reco it as a 'go watch this'... it's a 'pick 'em' for me.

Anyone watched any of these?

~sg