PDA

View Full Version : PSA of sorts - apparently bad supplement

Oso
10-09-2013, 01:08 AM
http://bigislandnow.com/2013/10/08/state-fda-urge-public-to-avoid-dietary-supplement/

JamesC
10-09-2013, 01:49 AM
This is why supplements should be evaluated by the FDA.

SoCo KungFu
10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
This is why supplements should be evaluated by the FDA.

Be careful what you wish for. The only reason half the stuff in TCM is legal over the counter is because its considered a supplement and flies under the radar.

JamesC
10-09-2013, 11:49 PM
I still feel the same. I have anxiety attacks now because of Jack3d. Did nothin but take the correct dosage. This **** needs to be regulated.

Oso
10-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Be careful what you wish for. The only reason half the stuff in TCM is legal over the counter is because its considered a supplement and flies under the radar.

sorry, I agree with James. While I generally like what you say, this seems to say that TCM is above and beyond any other 'medicine'. I'll totally agree that it has value and that 'western' medicine could learn a few lessons from it...but to say that it doesn't require the same level of scrutiny as any other medicine is ridiculous.

SoCo KungFu
10-10-2013, 03:10 PM
sorry, I agree with James. While I generally like what you say, this seems to say that TCM is above and beyond any other 'medicine'. I'll totally agree that it has value and that 'western' medicine could learn a few lessons from it...but to say that it doesn't require the same level of scrutiny as any other medicine is ridiculous.

No where did imply as such. In fact, my statement should be taken as a minor condemnation of alternative concoctions. The only reason half this stuff is available is because its not being picked apart by oversight (which would find a great deal either dangerous, fraudulent, or just plain inert BS). A convenient circumstance for the alt med industry to simultaneously criticize mainstream med for its "toxic" pharmaceuticals meant to turn a profit, while themselves raking in money on unchecked, easily proliferated pseudo-drugs...err supplements.

I think its no secret here my opinion of the lack of ethics in the alt med industry. I'm surprised you didn't catch that in my post.

Oso
10-10-2013, 03:52 PM
yep, missed that perspective in your post.

you seemed to be implying that if we 'got what we wished for' then we would not have access to the tcma/alt meds and that it would be a bad thing.

bawang
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I still feel the same. I have anxiety attacks now because of Jack3d. Did nothin but take the correct dosage. This **** needs to be regulated.

is that the one with insane doses of caffeine?

JamesC
10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
is that the one with insane doses of caffeine?

Depends on what you mean by insane. It has 125g per scoop. There are plenty of other preworkouts with more per serving.

GoldenBrain
10-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Depends on what you mean by insane. It has 125g per scoop. There are plenty of other preworkouts with more per serving.

I'm hoping 125g is a typo.

125g = 125,000mg

1 cup of coffee contains 95mg - 200mg of caffeine

I'd call that bat guano crazy insane!

JamesC
10-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Lol yeah it was a typo

bawang
10-11-2013, 06:51 AM

u cafeeine sensititve?

JamesC
10-11-2013, 11:22 AM
No. It's not the caffeine.

SoCo KungFu
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
yep, missed that perspective in your post.

you seemed to be implying that if we 'got what we wished for' then we would not have access to the tcma/alt meds and that it would be a bad thing.

I probably should use green text for sarcasm

gunbeatskroty
11-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I think much of the supplements are bad for you if you take too much or continues too long as a habit. They all usually makes your liver work harder as well as other organs. Protein shakes, whatever. Moderation is the key. I know I've been taking Nitric Oxide supplements as a habit now and need to tone it down.

TCM's may be bad news also, if not..in 5 years or so. Because since China is manufacturing just about everything known to man right now.....all of that industrial waste is all over their waterways, ground, etc. All of that 3-eyed fish pollutants are contaminating their soil and making it into the roots and tree barks that makes TCM's.

I'm scared of ingesting anything made in China as well as Vietnam, Thailand, etc. $5/pound Viet shrimps, no thanks.

gunbeatskroty
11-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Interesting. I used to drink about 5-7 cups of coffee throughout the whole work day. I would be very jumpy and get the caffeine crash a few times a day.

These Nitric Oxide supplements don't cause such jumpiness nor crashes for me...maybe a few times of nervousness, but I've been taking 1/2 to 1 scoop before every workout for the past 5 years since discovering them. 4-5 days per week is my normal workout routine. They sure do work. I've formed a habit.

The worse thing that happened was when I took 2 scoops for a BJJ tournament. This stuff makes you recover really fast after going into beast mode.....so you're ready to go again much quicker after a breather. In the finals for the gold, I think I had a very mild stroke. It was very scary. I never took 2 scoops, ever again...and this is after finishing like 15 of these NO containers so far over the years.

I've even substituted taking 2-3 sips of this stuff pre-mixed in the morning for coffee. I wanted to get off of coffee due to jumpiness and it stains my teeth. Keeps me wide awake and much more alert than coffee. I've finished 2 containers of Jack3d and just bought 2 new ones of a different brand from Costco. It's even advertised to students to take for increased alertness while in class and studying.

I went back to coffee though, due to missing the taste of it.

ShaolinDan
11-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Interesting. I used to drink about 5-7 cups of coffee throughout the whole work day. I would be very jumpy and get the caffeine crash a few times a day.

These Nitric Oxide supplements don't cause such jumpiness nor crashes for me...maybe a few times of nervousness, but I've been taking 1/2 to 1 scoop before every workout for the past 5 years since discovering them. 4-5 days per week is my normal workout routine. They sure do work. I've formed a habit.

The worse thing that happened was when I took 2 scoops for a BJJ tournament. This stuff makes you recover really fast after going into beast mode.....so you're ready to go again much quicker after a breather. In the finals for the gold, I think I had a very mild stroke. It was very scary. I never took 2 scoops, ever again...and this is after finishing like 15 of these NO containers so far over the years.

I've even substituted taking 2-3 sips of this stuff pre-mixed in the morning for coffee. I wanted to get off of coffee due to jumpiness and it stains my teeth. Keeps me wide awake and much more alert than coffee. I've finished 2 containers of Jack3d and just bought 2 new ones of a different brand from Costco. It's even advertised to students to take for increased alertness while in class and studying.

I went back to coffee though, due to missing the taste of it.

Aaah! Now everything becomes clear. :)