PDA

View Full Version : Beijing Style Shuai Jiao One week Only

wiz cool c
10-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Hello all, will be back in the states for one week. long island or manhattan area. will to do privates or group training in Beijing Style Shuai Jiao. Topics will cover.

Basic warm up and roll
Solo and partner throws
Grip Work
Strength training

video of a seminar i did back in 2008 on my last trip back to the state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odk4lihM2Gs&list=FLGC4xThGxe-kEx1JXUs9TcA&index=145

SavvySavage
10-13-2013, 07:44 AM
You know there's billions of shuaijiao people in NY right? Including a guy who teaches Beijing sj.

wiz cool c
10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
You know there's billions of shuaijiao people in NY right? Including a guy who teaches Beijing sj.

o boy here we go, billions last time i remember there was one teaching some kind of shuai jiao, but it was nothing like beijing shuai jiao, more like aikido. and a chinese guy david, that has his student do techniques but no sparring then has them compete and get creamed. but that was 7 years ago, now there are billions hun. can i see the link to the teacher teaching beijing shuai jiao,just curious

SavvySavage
10-13-2013, 09:41 AM
o boy here we go, billions last time i remember there was one teaching some kind of shuai jiao, but it was nothing like beijing shuai jiao, more like aikido. and a chinese guy david, that has his student do techniques but no sparring then has them compete and get creamed. but that was 7 years ago, now there are billions hun. can i see the link to the teacher teaching beijing shuai jiao,just curious

http://shuaijiao.net

Franc Gomez and Matt Gelfand have been teaching in NYC for years.

I think this is the Beijing guy. He is known as Sifu Jiang and is a student of Li Baoru. He has a lot less hair now though.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRz6fwzOQQ

I should have clarified my post. What I meant was that Shuai jiao isn't scarce in the NYC area.

TenTigers
10-13-2013, 11:18 AM
wish I had more notice. Next time you're stateside, give me a heads up in advance, and maybe you can do a small seminar at my school. My students love it when I bring in outside instructors, and Bejing style SJ would be fun.

wiz cool c
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
ok thanks,if you change your mind and can round up a few students. we can work out some very reasonable price. last time i was back in the states i do two seminars both went great one was for NYC sanda , other was for sambo steves school. i will be out there in merrick

lkfmdc
10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Shihfu Jeng Hsin Ping has been teaching in NYC since the late 1980's but I couldn't say there are "billions" ... actually I doubt there are even "hundreds" associated with him...

As for the fake David Lin, well, he's fake.... and tried to live off the real David Lin's reputation. When the real David Lin found out, words were exchanged and pants were crapped

NYShuaiJiao
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks David for the recognition.

Hi Chris,

I am Franc Gomez - I remember you attending our class years ago in NYC before you went to China.

We're now teaching in Brooklyn if you want to stop by to join class.

Regards.

YouKnowWho
10-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Shihfu Jeng Hsin Ping has been teaching in NYC since the late 1980's ...

When I was in NYC back in 1974, Jeng already started his SC class. Jeng was the 1st person brought SC to US.

lkfmdc
10-13-2013, 10:24 PM
When I was in NYC back in 1974, Jeng already started his SC class. Jeng was the 1st person brought SC to US.

well, I am not as old as you ;)

yes, actually, the "5 tigers" school was very old and established in NYC... I should have more correctly said I was aware of him since back then

YouKnowWho
10-14-2013, 02:40 AM
well, I am not as old as you ;)

yes, actually, the "5 tigers" school was very old and established in NYC... I should have more correctly said I was aware of him since back then

The "5 tigers" (Nelson Zhou) school had included the SC belt cracking in their long fist basic training because Jeng.

YouKnowWho
10-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Hello all, will be back in the states for one week. long island or manhattan area. will to do privates or group training in Beijing Style Shuai Jiao. Topics will cover.

Basic warm up and roll
Solo and partner throws
Grip Work
Strength training

video of a seminar i did back in 2008 on my last trip back to the state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odk4lihM2Gs&list=FLGC4xThGxe-kEx1JXUs9TcA&index=145

Glad to see a new SC coach is available in US. In the past 30 years, the new SC coaches in US can be counted by fingers. I used to think that the ratio between SC guys and Judo guys is 1 to 10. Now I think the ration may be 1 to 20, or even worse.

Many people asked me if I can suggest a SC instructor in their state. My respond was always, "Sorry that I don't know any SC coach in your state."

One of my SC brothers went back to Taiwan and started a SC class in one university. He will be paid only $150 for the entire semester. Sometime people just try to carry on the art even if there is no money there.

Sometime I can see why the BJJ art can be popular. You don't have to be thrown onto the ground 200 times daily.

Kellen Bassette
10-14-2013, 05:40 AM
One of my SC brothers went back to Taiwan and started a SC class in one university. He will be paid only $150 for the entire semester. Sometime people just try to carry on the art even if there is no money there.

Sometime I can see why the BJJ art can be popular. You don't have to be thrown onto the ground 200 times daily.

Unfortunately, when most teachers come from China they seem to want to set up shop in major metro areas, such as NYC. There's a lot more population, but also a lot more choice for people in the big cities.

I think a lot of guys would do just as well, or even better in small or mid sized cities. There's a lot of interest there and not much to choose from. In many places it's just TKD and Karate that are available, besides the fakes peddling whatever happens to be popular at the time...not to mention cost of living and overhead are a lot lower outside the major cities.

They would probably end up with as many students, but with a far lower operating cost....

SavvySavage
10-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Unfortunately, when most teachers come from China they seem to want to set up shop in major metro areas, such as NYC. There's a lot more population, but also a lot more choice for people in the big cities.

I think a lot of guys would do just as well, or even better in small or mid sized cities. There's a lot of interest there and not much to choose from. In many places it's just TKD and Karate that are available, besides the fakes peddling whatever happens to be popular at the time...not to mention cost of living and overhead are a lot lower outside the major cities.

They would probably end up with as many students, but with a far lower operating cost....

Thank about this though. Where is the majority of the asian population? You win! In big cities. So if someone comes all the way from China, is used to Chinese people, mainly speaks Chinese, that's probably where he/she will most likely end up.

Kellen Bassette
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank about this though. Where is the majority of the asian population? You win! In big cities. So if someone comes all the way from China, is used to Chinese people, mainly speaks Chinese, that's probably where he/she will most likely end up.

Yeah that's true....and I expect the main reason, but I'll bet some of them would do better in the smaller cities anyway. Of course they'd have to deal with no China Town districts, fewer immigrants and businesses that cater to immigrants...

wiz cool c
10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
good point about the cities in the mid west. I myself wouldn't consider opening a school in new York city, just too many great teachers there already. when and if I do come back to the states in the future to run a school, I would seriously consider doing as mentioned here. in fact anyone have any good opinions on what cities would make a good place for a school?

thank you Mr. Gomez for the invitation. I don't think I will make a trip into Manhattan this trip though. I would if I was teaching and making some money, but the long island rail road is dam expensive these days, and I already contacted my judo instructor about where he is teaching these days [out in the Bronx somewhere. don't think I am going to do that either. I got an old student of mine wants to do some privates and he is out here in long island, so can get some training in and make a little cash while here.