PDA

View Full Version : Wild Goose Qigong aka Dayan Qigong

Mr Nunchaku
12-25-2001, 02:46 PM
My parents know I am interested in the martial arts so they went out and picked an instructional tape from the nearby martial arts supply store. At first I thought, "Oh man, what in the world will I find under this wrapping paper?" Surprisingly I found a tape with the same title as this topic. So I was wondering, has anyone ever heard of this tape or Wen-Mei Yu. I watched it and it said that she has trained in Dayan Chi Kung for a long time. To someone as ignorant to qiqong as me it looked interesting, but like I said I am ignorant. She did a demonstration of a form, went through it step by step, and explained basic acu-meridian points. So is this good stuff I'm watching?

dezhen2001
12-26-2001, 05:39 PM
i train in Dayan Qigong, but not fromt he teacher you mentioned...i train in the UK with the Tse Qigong Centre.

Dayan Qigong is a very old style of qigong, and comes from the Kunlun Mountain range in China. It is said to be 1800 years old...the current grandmaster is Yang Meijun and she is around 106 years old and still going strong. She has used her skill to treat many illnesses and improve peoples lives all over china. It was recommended in the list of top Qigong methods for improving health in China...

I'm sorry, but i really have never heard of this instructor or seen the video, so i don't know...i'm only a beginner though so what do i know? There are definately a few people teaching it in the US that's for sure.

My Sigongs website is http://www.qimagazine.com if you want to read more about Dayan Qigong. If you have any questions you could probably email Qi Magazine, i am sure they wouild be able to answer any questions you have about the style.

thanks,

david

Mr Nunchaku
12-27-2001, 01:20 PM
Ok, thanks a lot.

dezhen2001
01-03-2002, 09:51 AM
no problem. i hope you find out more information :)

david

An jie 108
01-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Have you seen it? Do you know of any good teachers?
I have studied Dayan Gong for 6 years and have found it to be very useful for health and balance.:D

You qing
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Hello

I have studied DG / Wild Goose Qigong for three years : living in the UK
The skill is awesome/ Since I started DG all my martials are stronger/ more settled/ more focused

Peace

Egg fu young
10-21-2013, 04:51 AM
I came across a video series and after a "very" quick look, it seemed a little similar to Tai Chi 24 form. Can anyone explain Wild Goose Qigong to me? Thank you.

mawali
10-21-2013, 03:36 PM
1. There is no relationship to the Beijing 24 Yang shi taijiquan
2. Dayan Qigong (wild Goose) is considered a major part of the New Qigong Movement and it was developed by Yang Meijun. Though parts of it (don't know which specific parts) are part of her family method, she developned the rest based on how various students reacted to the specific form meaning health effect of varying cancers.
3. There basically 2 parts 1st 64 and 2nd 64
4. There are many routines/variation of routines that are part and parcel of training.
5. I am sure your Google-fu is working so assess the rest per your understanding
6. Here are some people associated with Dayan Qigong
a. Michael Tse (UK
b. Dr Bingkun Hu
c. Chen Chuan Gang (son of Yang meijun)
d. Adam Wallace

GeneChing
05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Qigong gets popular in Bay Area (http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201805/29/WS5b0d68e3a31001b82571cfed.html)
By Lia Zhu in San Francisco | China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-05-29 22:51
With a badge reading "I'm Cancer Free" on his chest, Ken Adler headed to the middle of the room with six other elderly people.

They moved through a series of slow-motion exercises as mood music played in the background.

"Feet on the ground, look forward, unlock your knees," Edith Chiang, the instructor of the qigong class said as she demonstrated the movements.

The qigong program was being offered by the oncology department of the Palo Alto Medical Foundation free of charge to the public. Most of the participants were patients receiving treatment and not capable of much movement.

"Qigong is an ancient Chinese form of exercise, which enhances the circulation of qi, or life energy. In traditional Chinese medicine, when qi flows freely in a balanced fashion, health is restored and disease is prevented," said Chiang.

She has been teaching qigong in the Bay Area for more than 10 years at major hospitals, including Keiser Permanente, Palo Alto Medical Foundation and El Camino Hospital. More than 500 people have attended her classes.

Many of the participants turn to qigong as an alternative recovery therapy when conventional medicine fails to produce satisfying results, said Chiang.

"For someone who's going to cancer treatment, the treatments are harsh, to say the least. And it just wreaks havoc on a person's body. This is a way of exploring your body's sensations in a more pleasant and affirming way," said Adler, a trainer in Live Strong Live Well, a strength and fitness training program for cancer survivors.

He introduced qigong to his program and the participants "love" it. It provides a different way of thinking about strength training, he said.

"It's a proactive engagement with oneself," said Adler. "Keeping people motivated, encouraging them to stay the course even when they feel the awful effects of the treatment - these are important elements of emotional and psychological endurance training for our participants."

Though little understood in the Western world, qigong is becoming popular in the Bay Area.

"Qigong is being increasingly accepted by the mainstream, as its benefits are being recognized," said Jean Yu, manager of the Chinese Health Initiative at El Camino Hospital. Her program plans to offer its first English-language qigong class this summer.

A study by the National Institutes of Health showed that qigong can help reduce stress and pain, improve balance and prevent falls, said Yu.

The form of qigong practiced by Chiang is called Dayan qigong, based on the movements of the dayan, or wild goose. There are movements representing the animal, like touching toes and flapping "wings".

Unlike other forms of qigong, Dayan qigong requires no special breathing techniques or mental images to facilitate the circulation of qi, so it's easy and safe for beginners, said Chiang.

"You definitely can (feel the energy). I get a lot of warmth in the palm of my hands," said Karen Michael, who has just finished five years of cancer treatments. "When you are doing this stuff, you are bringing the energy to different parts of your body. It's all about energy.

"I'll call it a healing practice. It's really taking your body's energy and deploying it to help yourself," she said.

For Adler, who has been learning with Chiang for four years, the next level of challenge is to learn the entire repertoire of the Dayan qigong set.

"One of these days, I'm going to surprise Edith with all the 64 movements," he said.

Contact the writher at liazhu@chinadailyusa.com

THREADS
Wild Goose Qigong aka Dayan Qigong (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66802-Wild-Goose-Qigong-aka-Dayan-Qigong)
Qigong as Medicine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55537-Qigong-as-Medicine)