PDA

View Full Version : Lama Pai articles

lkfmdc
10-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Someone just reminded me of something.....

Chan Tai San and his students appeared regularly in articles in kung fu magazines (including of course KungFu magazine) in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I wrote most of those articles...

Sometimes it's hard to imagine that was over 20 years ago....

The thing is, without exception every single one of those articles was either about the history of the system or the APPLICATION of the system in fighting....

We were hardly a forms school.....

Dale Dugas
10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
David,

Thank you for your articles showcasing Kung Fu and its myriad applications. You like a few others can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Spiked
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Oh my gosh. More still photos. Did you lama grapplers enter any competitions back then. Judo, swai jiao...any?

Still photos do not mean anything.

LaRoux
10-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Chan Tai San and his students appeared regularly in articles in kung fu magazines (including of course KungFu magazine) in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I wrote most of those articles...

The thing is, without exception every single one of those articles was either about the history of the system or the APPLICATION of the system in fighting....

Most forms schools show applications against compliant partners. Doing techniques in this manner isn't any better than simply doing them in forms.

You'd think a guy who supposedly trains contact fighters would have figured out this basic principle by now.

GoldenBrain
10-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Adding video to a magazine article is just as impossible as wiping the stink off troll ****. Which by the way is getting all over my shoes as I traverse these forums lately.

lkfmdc
10-27-2013, 05:41 PM
spanky and ladouche are oh so predictable I am sure :D

but they have already run out of steam, this is the last bit of their comedy act

PalmStriker
10-27-2013, 05:59 PM
:) Net Trolls are like invasive species. If you want to maintain an organic environment you have to contend with them, otherwise you have to kill off all kinds of stuff just to have a mirror image of the real thing. https://www.google.com/search?q=invasive+species&client=firefox-a&hs=hQx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IrdtUoLTDc_F4AOOnoCYBw&ved=0CHoQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807

wiz cool c
10-27-2013, 09:06 PM

those were good articles, i remember them too. i remember hearing stories of the whole chan tai san group doing some competitions back in the day.

YouKnowWho
10-27-2013, 10:56 PM
The ying yang palm technique was one ...
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7885&d=1382909815

It's the 1st move of the Lien Bu Chuan form (at 0.00).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyH84mkt5A

Spiked
10-28-2013, 05:56 AM
There is shaolin influence in this video and there is even a couple of throws. Can anyone identify stances, throws, techniques from this form?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmRciqlnFo

Dale Dugas
10-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Dont worry, ignore function is great.

trolls are nothing but cowards.

keep up the good work, brother.

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2013, 06:44 AM
RE: Demos and instructional's.

I have never seen demos, tutorials or instructional's done if NOT with compliant partners.
They are not competitions.

Ever system of H2H, sport or otherwise always teach and demo with the "attacker" being compliant in one way or another.

The Dog Brothers are a great example of how it should be done.
They teach it ( complaint) then they fight with it.
"See it taught, see it fought".
That is how it is done.

But instructional's and demos are almost always compliant.

lkfmdc
10-28-2013, 07:02 AM
those were good articles, i remember them too. i remember hearing stories of the whole chan tai san group doing some competitions back in the day.

we did the NACMAF events, and of course later we did all the USA WKF events

NACMAF's sparring was like Kyokushinkai, full contact to legs and body but no head shots.... the story goes and has been told here many times, I punched Eric Hargrove in the face and got DQ'ed and he fought "Ghetto Fu" and won one the hard way....

Back in those days, we placed equally in forms, weapons AND the full contact sparring.....

lkfmdc
10-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Pete
10-28-2013, 07:21 AM
nice oldskool pics

lkfmdc
10-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Definite problem is people who can't remember last year, much less 20 years ago (when a lot of the, were in diapers) :D

wiz cool c
10-28-2013, 09:33 AM
we did the NACMAF events, and of course later we did all the USA WKF events

NACMAF's sparring was like Kyokushinkai, full contact to legs and body but no head shots.... the story goes and has been told here many times, I punched Eric Hargrove in the face and got DQ'ed and he fought "Ghetto Fu" and won one the hard way....

Back in those days, we placed equally in forms, weapons AND the full contact sparring.....

cool stuff

lkfmdc
10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Anyone see a consistent theme in our articles?

Dale Dugas
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
practical training and usage.

sounds good to me.

madhusudan
10-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Please post the continuation of the articles when you get the chance. I haven't seen the fighting theory one before. Thanks.