PDA

View Full Version : Gym & Puzzle Mats

mooyingmantis
10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Friends,

One of my newer students worked as a gymnastics coach in the past. He told me that mats used in competitions in Ohio were required to be replaced every year. So, mats could often be purchased used but in good condition at the end of the tournament season. I thought that I would pass this tip along if any of you were looking for mats for your school or home.

I recently purchased a number of puzzle mats at our local Ollie's store. The mats came in packages of four that covers a sixteen square foot area (1/2" thick). The price is $12.95 per package. D1ck's Sporting Goods charges $24.95 for the same type of mats.

When I covered my floor I had areas where I needed to place the mats around certain structural features of my building. I wondered what the best way to cut the mats would be. I found that airplane style tin snips work great for cutting the mats.

Now, with an inexpensive double under-layer of puzzle mats, I am going to try and purchase some used gymnastics mats at the end of gymnastics season for my sparring area. :)

I hope these hints help!

MasterKiller
10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
You can get used wreslting mats from high schools and middle schools just about every summer.

However, for the long-term, you can also get used, discounted Zebra mats after almost every jiu-jitsu tournament, too.

Syn7
10-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I've never heard aviation snips(compound action snips) referred to as airplane snips before. Is that common?