A Tanglang brother who is putting it to the test:

http://www.dogbrothers.gr/en/articles006.html

BT

yu shan
10-31-2013, 05:28 AM
Fascinating interview, thanks.

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2013, 06:47 AM
Kostas is a very cool guy, we spoke a lot when I was part of the DB member forum.
IMO, DBMA is the pinnacle of full contact stick fighting.
While I was never interested in investing the time to be a DB, they are an amazing bunch of guys, true warriors all the way.

yu shan
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
They talk the talk and walk the walk thats for sure.

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2013, 09:37 AM
They talk the talk and walk the walk thats for sure.

Indeed, they have the training/teaching mantra that all should follow:
See it taught, see it fought.

Stickgrappler
10-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Kostas is a very cool guy, we spoke a lot when I was part of the DB member forum.

Agreed on Kostas aka Spartan Dog (full DB, recently ascended). hmm... if you were in the DBMAA, i should know you... "ronin" ?

IMO, DBMA is the pinnacle of full contact stick fighting.
While I was never interested in investing the time to be a DB, they are an amazing bunch of guys, true warriors all the way.

Agreed on the Warrior Spirit as one of the mottos is "Walk as a Warrior for all your days."

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Agreed on Kostas aka Spartan Dog (full DB, recently ascended). hmm... if you were in the DBMAA, i should know you... "ronin" ?

Agreed on the Warrior Spirit as one of the mottos is "Walk as a Warrior for all your days."

Yes, I do believe that was my handle there...its been a couple of years or so...

Stickgrappler
10-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, I do believe that was my handle there...its been a couple of years or so...

Woof sanjuro_ronin,

*bows deeply*

Nice to 'see' you again!

Very truly yours in the MA,

~sg

mooyingmantis
10-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Nice interview! Thanks for sharing this!

B.Tunks
11-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Good to hear the positive reception/acknowledgement of Thomas's efforts in this respect. Of course, negative criticism is also welcomed.

BT

Pete
11-01-2013, 09:13 AM
nice i never heard of dog brothers before! the gatherings look interesting although the vid seems to be weapon only :confused::(

Stickgrappler
11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
nice i never heard of dog brothers before! the gatherings look interesting although the vid seems to be weapon only :confused::(

although the fight starts with weapons (usually sticks, but include knife trainers, and the 'exotic' weapons such as the aforementioned Gong Fu Dog and the trhee sectional staff, walking cane, mae sawks, spear, whip, nunchaku, staff and this past Open Gathering or Tribal Gathering - there were hockey sticks and chains!)

but sometimes one or both fighters lose their weapons and it becomes empty-hands at that point unless one or both fighters are able to regain their weapons

yu shan
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Hockey Sticks! :cool:

sanjuro_ronin
11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
DB gatherings are on a level all their own.
I have never fought in one but saw one live.
I have fought full contact stick but never at THAT level.
Not sure I am interested, LOL !

Stickgrappler
11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
DB gatherings are on a level all their own.
I have never fought in one but saw one live.
I have fought full contact stick but never at THAT level.
Not sure I am interested, LOL !

I hear you.

For the others ... you can pick your opponent, or mention your skill level - it's not like an advanced is looking for a beginner to beat up on. The tribal spirit is such that you and your opponent are looking to push yourselves to the limit and test yourselves.

There are minimal rules, one of the important ones - everyone leaves with the IQ they came in with - much like Lyoto Machida restraining from punching a downed Mark Munoz at UFC 166.

For the record, I've not seen a Gathering live, have not fought at one, when i was much younger, planned on fighting at one, but then i got married and had 3 kids. a bit longer in the tooth now, wont probably be fighting at one.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I have to say, the dog brothers inclusive attitude is inspiring.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2013, 05:57 AM
I hear you.

For the others ... you can pick your opponent, or mention your skill level - it's not like an advanced is looking for a beginner to beat up on. The tribal spirit is such that you and your opponent are looking to push yourselves to the limit and test yourselves.

There are minimal rules, one of the important ones - everyone leaves with the IQ they came in with - much like Lyoto Machida restraining from punching a downed Mark Munoz at UFC 166.

For the record, I've not seen a Gathering live, have not fought at one, when i was much younger, planned on fighting at one, but then i got married and had 3 kids. a bit longer in the tooth now, wont probably be fighting at one.

Same here.
With family and kids we tend to see things with "new eyes" :)