PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it for a convicted felon to get a job?

Spiked
10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Anyone know anyone in this situation?

Scott R. Brown
10-31-2013, 10:09 AM

It's usually not hard to find a job, it's finding a good job that can be difficult. There are also mitigating factors to consider too, like number, location and kinds of tats, educational status, and the crime for which one was incarcerated.

On the other hand, Johnny Cash and Machete are/were both felons, so you are limited by yourself in many ways.

GeneChing
10-31-2013, 11:14 AM
...and they have clean records. Times are tough.

Scott R. Brown
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
...and they have clean records. Times are tough.

There is an auto parts store just down the street advertising for workers, Gene. I'll be a reference for you if you would like. :)

Syn7
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
In Canada it seems to be much less of an issue. I was cleared to do electrical work on a prison after receiving a pardon. Worst job ever, BTW!!! The pardon was easy. I filled out an application and waited a few months. Cost a few bucks for records and all that. But in the end, relatively painless. I imagine it's not as easy in some states.

David Jamieson
11-01-2013, 06:58 AM
We don't have felons in Canada either. That' an American legal term.

But, yeah, you can get pardoned for crimes in Canada provided you don't have a life sentence I believe. Because life, is life.

bawang
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM

ask your father

Spiked
11-01-2013, 08:36 AM

But, yeah, you can get pardoned for crimes in Canada provided you don't have a life sentence I believe. Because life, is life.

He stabbed another man in a self defense situation. The problem is he used a switchblade which is really really illegal. The drunk drugged up fool attacked him and he defended himself. Luckily the guy(who is also a convicted rapist in another state) survived.

So now the guy will have this felony on his record forever. It really is a shame because he is a smart guy who was dumb enough to have a switchblade on him.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 08:37 AM

I love how you separate us. "That's an american term." People in India think of us as the same country as does most of the world.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 08:38 AM
ask your father

My father was too tired from fuking your mother

bawang
11-01-2013, 08:40 AM
My father was too tired from fuking your mother

im not into incest.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 08:45 AM
im not into incest.

YOu were born from incest. All mongolians were which is why they tried to take over China.

Syn7
11-01-2013, 08:45 AM
I love how you separate us. "That's an american term." People in India think of us as the same country as does most of the world.

Ummm... no. They don't. That's some serious bubble **** right there. It's kind of like the drunk knucklehead at a party who says the dumbest **** and walks away thinking he got mad respect. That simply isn't the case. Individuals are just that, but as a whole, it's not a good look playbwoy.

bawang
11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
YOu were born from incest. All mongolians were which is why they tried to take over China.

you are too young to understand abstract logic. im saying im yo daddy.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 09:01 AM
you are too young to understand abstract logic. im saying im yo daddy.

You are too young to understand abstract logic. I was saying we had the same father but different mothers.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Ummm... no. They don't. That's some serious bubble **** right there. It's kind of like the drunk knucklehead at a party who says the dumbest **** and walks away thinking he got mad respect. That simply isn't the case. Individuals are just that, but as a whole, it's not a good look playbwoy.

I have talked to people in India. You are crazy.

bawang
11-01-2013, 09:03 AM
You are too young to understand abstract logic. I was saying we had the same father but different mothers.

did you fail high school or something? I can literally smell the stupid on you.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
did you fail high school or something? I can literally smell the stupid on you.

Bro, your mom chose not to spit you in the sink. She was the stupid one.

bawang
11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Bro, your mom chose not to spit you in the sink. She was the stupid one.

if your mother loved you, you would understand.

wenshu
11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5DvDyjW.jpg

GeneChing
11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
There is an auto parts store just down the street advertising for workers, Gene. I'll be a reference for you if you would like. :)
And where do you live? Fantasyland? ;)

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
And where do you live? Fantasyland? ;)

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT?????:eek:

When I find that dirty rotten squealer!:mad:

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I have to say, the Canadian system sounds sensible, the US one is rife with abuse.

As for the original question, I don't know what field the person is trying to get a job in, but I do know that some companies recognize the system has problems and adjust their hiring practices accordingly, and some don't. Finding out which often involves starting at the bottom and showing your real character.

Spiked
11-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I have to say, the Canadian system sounds sensible, the US one is rife with abuse.

As for the original question, I don't know what field the person is trying to get a job in, but I do know that some companies recognize the system has problems and adjust their hiring practices accordingly, and some don't. Finding out which often involves starting at the bottom and showing your real character.

Good to know. Thanks.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

I happen to know that Bushnell is very good at employment practices, but they may not be in your area.

Syn7
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM

That being said, if the charge is aggrevated assault, causing bodilly... attempted etc etc... it's not gonna go well for him with even the more tolerant employers. There are always employers who gladly hire felons of all sorts, but typically those are the ****tiest jobs. The crimes being overlooked are mostly white collar and minor drug offenses.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:20 PM
That being said, if the charge is aggrevated assault, causing bodilly... attempted etc etc... it's not gonna go well for him with even the more tolerant employers. There are always employers who gladly hire felons of all sorts, but typically those are the ****tiest jobs. The crimes being overlooked are mostly white collar and minor drug offenses.

In the U.S., because the system never forgets, I know of employers who even give a chance to somewhat more serious stuff, though I'm imagine rape and murder are a hard sell.

JamesC
11-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I like the idea of the pardon you guys have up there. I think that's a great idea. People change and sometimes just do dumb stuff.

Also, what constitutes a crappy job? It's all relative. Most people would hate my job. It physical labor and I deal with spoiled milk on a daily bases. On the other hand, I left a desk job working for Immigration and the sheriff's office to do it. Im happier now than I've ever been.

As for the original question, we have a temp that's been working here for months that we want to get hired on. He's been turned down for full time employment once already because of some previous theft and drug charges. He's a decent guy and a hard worker. Much better than some of the guys that are already hired on here.

It just depends on the company. It's unfortunate.