PDA

View Full Version : kosoto gari

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Sorry to be using the japanese terms, but the throws I'm bringing up are also common in kung fu, though I'm more familiar with the Japanese terms.

In fighting, with striking included, any thoughts on good ways to work this throw in from outside of clinch? When I use it, I'm usually in clinch or bridging, but it occasionally comes up off of strikes, though most of the time it's situational, where my lead hand happens, at the moment they give me a jab/lead hand strike, to be outside of that hand. I've been messing with it from my lead being inside of the strike, but am curious about other people's use of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84aXkA3e7g

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 11:27 AM
kosoudidnt IMHO

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
kosoudidnt IMHO

I'm not following?

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 11:35 AM
o so u did nt

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 11:37 AM
O so I did!

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
He means it's "osoto gari", not "kosoto gari".;)

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:40 PM
He means it's "osoto gari", not "kosoto gari".;)

Weird, I'm going off of some pretty old books by Japanese masters, but I know how transliteration schemes change (except for in Wing Chun, of course). Also, it's not osotogari, major outer reap.

I'm permanently confused. I blame the Japanese. Is this the hentai version?

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Weird, I'm going off of some pretty old books by Japanese masters, but I know how transliteration schemes change (except for in Wing Chun, of course). Also, it's not osotogari, major outer reap.

I'm permanently confused. I blame the Japanese. Is this the hentai version?

I understand, zuki can also be spelled suki, but I have never, in 40 years, seen kosoto gari, only osoto gari.:confused:

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
"O" = "dai" = big

"Ko" = "sai" = small

Soto - outer

Gari - reaping

both and O Soto Gari AND an Ko Soto Gari

was just trying to be funny and you *******s ruined it :mad:

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
So, I just looked up kosoto gari on Google, indeed, there is a throw by that name. Interesting I have never heard of it!:eek:

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.judoryubara.nl/regelementenindex/plaatjes/ko-soto-gari.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkH26994RQ8

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I see, one is an inside sweep, and the other is an outside sweep.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:47 PM
"O" = "dai" = big

"Ko" = "sai" = small

Soto - outer

Gari - reaping

Lol! My comedic timing has always been suspect!

Actually, I didn't realize this was the proper translation. Makes sense, I just didn't think of it in those terms.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:48 PM
"O" = "dai" = big

"Ko" = "sai" = small

Soto - outer

Gari - reaping

That's what happens when you are too smart for the room! I am surprised you aren't used to it by now!:D:p

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I see, one is an inside sweep, and the other is an outside sweep.

No, both are outside sweeps, one is big and this one is small.

Kosotogari is osotogari before Sanjuro Ronin posts boobie pics.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
That's what happens when you are too smart for the room! I am surprised you aren't used to it by now!:D:p

Sadly, unlike comedy, the stupidity on a forum vs. a comedy club has less to do with alcohol than it should.

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 12:51 PM

oh, how true, how true :p

before Sanjuro Ronin posts boobie pics.

you say that like it's a bad thing

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
you say that like it's a bad thing

I'm Irish. The difference isn't worth talking about.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
No, both are outside sweeps, one is big and this one is small.

Kosotogari is osotogari before Sanjuro Ronin posts boobie pics.

Well, I am familiar with the throw, I just never knew the name. I usually ignore names, to my own disadvantage. I can't even give directions to places, because I never know street names. I only know landmarks, Like turn right at the big oak tree and drive down to the green house and it is next to the barber pole, LOL!!:o

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm Irish. The difference isn't worth talking about.

Irish men like boobs, they even eventually grow their own :p

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Irish men like boobs, they even eventually grow their own :p

Occasionally? Racist!

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 12:56 PM

oh, how true, how true :p

The burdens of greatness can tax the strongest of spirits!

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, I am familiar with the throw, I just never knew the name. I usually ignore names, to my own disadvantage. I can't even give directions to places, because I never know street names. I only know landmarks, Like turn right at the big oak tree and drive down to the green house and it is next to the barber pole, LOL!!:o

I'm the same way, I'm just trying to pick up some of the names now.

As for directions, don't even get me started.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm the same way, I'm just trying to pick up some of the names now.

As for directions, don't even get me started.

Yeah, when I took Aikido I had to make flash cards to memorize the moves because they use the proper names in every workout. If I didn't do that though, I would never have learned them.

Even when I am introduced to someone, I immediately forget their name unless I make a special effort to remember it, and even then I may not remember it for long.

In fact. I used to have 6 people I supervised at work and I didn't learn their names for 2 years or so, and I worked with them every night!

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, when I took Aikido I had to make flash cards to memorize the moves because they use the proper names in every workout. If I didn't do that though, I would never have learned them.

Even when I am introduced to someone, I immediately forget their name unless I make a special effort to remember it, and even then I may not remember it for long.

For me, it's facial recognition, I simply don't have it. I recognize mannerisms over time. However, I teach at a university, and I can recognize a particular person's writing after only one reading.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
For me, it's facial recognition, I simply don't have it. I recognize mannerisms over time. However, I teach at a university, and I can recognize a particular person's writing after only one reading.

Interesting! I am good with faces, but not names. I saw a guy about two weeks ago in the parking lot of the local market. I used to work with him, but I haven't seen him in something like 15 years.

He knew my name immediately and called to me. I recognized him right off and knew where I knew him from and what we did together at work, but not his name. I had no clue what his name was. I told him I knew him but couldn't remember his name, so he reminded me. That was about two weeks ago, and I still don't remember his name, LOL!!!

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Interesting! I am good with faces, but not names. I saw a guy about two weeks ago in the parking lot of the local market. I used to work with him, but I haven't seen him in something like 15 years.

He knew my name immediately and called to me. I recognized him right off and knew where I knew him from and what we did together at work, but not his name. I had no clue what his name was. I told him I knew him but couldn't remember his name, so he reminded me. That was about two weeks ago, and I still don't remember his name, LOL!!!

I can't count the number of times I've pretended to know someone. If I don't know you enough to recognize facial mannerisms, I will almost never recognize you.

This has made some problematic situations with people I once dated briefly.

Jimbo
11-01-2013, 01:16 PM

In fact. I used to have 6 people I supervised at work and I didn't learn their names for 2 years or so, and I worked with them every night!

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one!

I have a very good memory about faces, places, events, etc., but remembering people's names has always been a challenge for me, unless someone's appearance and their name are both very distinctive. Even some people I know but not overly well, I have to stop beforehand and sort out their name in my mind before I talk to them sometimes. What's bad is most people remember my name, so I often reply to someone, 'Yeah, see you later', etc.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 01:20 PM
What's bad is most people remember my name, so I often reply to someone, 'Yeah, see you later', etc.

Ha, Yeah!! Me too!!

It's embarrassing. I have learned I have a visual memory though. When I remember something I am seeing it in my mind as I am recalling it.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 01:23 PM
If someone approaches me, and I don't recognize them, is kosoto gari appropriate?

YouKnowWho
11-01-2013, 01:30 PM
kosoto gari

In TCMA, it's called "踢(Ti) - forward kick". In Chinese striking art, it can be any kicks. In Chinese throwing art, it means that you use your

- instep to sweep behind your opponent's ankle, or
- inner foot edge to sweep/block your opponent's front lower leg.

Old Chinese saying said that if you can master "foot sweep", you should be able to deal with 80% of your opponent. It may be the most powerful throw in the throwing art. But since the timing and angle are so critical, it can be the most difficult one to develop.

There are over 30 different "foot sweep". It's one of the throws that can take care many different situations. You can almost write a book about just the "foot sweep".

Here is a simple no arm contact "foot sweep".

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDkyMTIzMDE2.html

YouKnowWho
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
If someone approaches me, and I don't recognize them, is kosoto gari appropriate?

A foot sweep should be trained and used in 4 different stages:

1. bite,
2. scoop,
3. stick,
4. sweep.

You don't have to use the 4th stage sweep if you don't want to.

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2013, 01:38 PM

If someone approaches you and you do not recognize them, that is their own fault. They should make you know them before they approach, so I say, sweep away!!

If there are no negative consequences, they will never learn!:mad:

bawang
11-01-2013, 02:45 PM
i refuse to discuss dirty Japanese shuai Jiao.

Faux Newbie
11-01-2013, 03:07 PM

I'm familiarizing myself with the Chinese names.

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 03:15 PM

not gay enough for you?

Jimbo
11-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Then you should discuss clean Japanese shuai jiao!

Kellen Bassette
11-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Then you should discuss clean Japanese shuai jiao!

Wouldn't that just be Judo?

lkfmdc
11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
let's discuss Mexican Judo

Faux Newbie
11-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I think the specific version I'm thinking of has similar arm work to the judo move, where there is an emphasis on the top arm dumping, as opposed to the version where both arms cut. So, the arms turn almost like turning a wheel.

The cutting version seems to work best at a slightly longer range for me, the other(I'll look up the shuai jiao title when I'm home some time) seems to work better in close, though it's not bread and butter for me at this point.

bawang
11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
let's discuss Mexican Judo

mexican judo = bjj