PDA

View Full Version : Russian President Vladimir Putin

bodhitree
11-02-2006, 11:42 AM
watch the little kid slam him!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IdXwu2MXR_s&mode=related&search=

charyuop
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Was it real? The little kid thing looked kinda staged. It seemed almost Putin let him drop him.

jigahus
11-02-2006, 01:57 PM
This is like when Putin tried to suc....I mean when he blew air on the boys stomach.

bodhitree
11-03-2006, 05:05 AM
of course he was letting the kid throw him, he is a Judo teacher. Did you think he was competing with a kid that size?

David Jamieson
11-03-2006, 07:34 AM
putin is a paedophile apparently.

russia is a weird place. run by a mobster with a small guy complex.

wait, that's the states...wait no, it's both of them.

now im getting confused over the new capitalist communism trend among the rich and fabulous.

oh well... :p

Faruq
11-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I thought the whole kissing small boys on the stomach was a sign of affection in KAZHAKSTAN, not RUSSIA. Guess I was wrong, hunh?

David Jamieson
11-04-2006, 06:36 PM
nah, that's a nambla thang.

Faruq
11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
LOL! Hey wait, what's a nambla?

David Jamieson
11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
hey now, don't pretend like you don't know. ;)

:p :D

Faruq
11-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Is it something I should know? Sorry, I don't speak Russian.

jigahus
11-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Is it something I should know? Sorry, I don't speak Russian.

LOL no. You should watch the south park episode with nambla. It explains everything.

Faruq
11-05-2006, 06:23 AM
When are they gonna play it?

GeneChing
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Now that's diplomacy.

Sarkozy limbers up for judo lessons from Putin (http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKLD23045120080915)
Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:52pm BST

PARIS (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, a champion judoka, could soon be flooring France's Nicolas Sarkozy with some of his famous throws after agreeing to pass on some of his black belt skills to the French president.

"He (Sarkozy) is interested in martial arts and we have decided to do some training together," Putin was quoted as saying in an interview with French newspaper Le Figaro published on Saturday.

A press officer at Sarkozy's office had no immediate comment.

The 55-year-old Putin's prowess in the martial art of judo is well documented and videos of him wearing his black belt and throwing opponents to the ground are easy to find on the Internet.

Sarkozy, 53, was not previously known to have an interest in martial arts. He has often been photographed jogging.

Lucas
09-24-2008, 02:04 PM
nambla

North American Man/Boy Love Association

Thats such a funny episode of southpark.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
i could totally kick that kid's ass. i'd fu.ck him up somethin awful then rape his mom.

Lucas
09-24-2008, 08:06 PM
i could totally kick that kid's ass. i'd fu.ck him up somethin awful then rape his mom.

i would probably pay a few bucks to see that

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 07:51 AM
like five? i could use five bucks.

ah who am i kiddin, we all know id do it for free.

Ray Pina
09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Are you kidding me? Did you see how Putin took that throw? And then get right back up?

And then later sweep that other guy? At his age?

**** that, he's better than me for sure.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 08:32 AM
hes seems like a tough SOB for sure.

GDA ill sport you TEN bucks!

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
hes seems like a tough SOB for sure.

GDA ill sport you TEN bucks!

its on man.

im gonna use that 10 bucks to start mambla. mike's association of maiming blithering little ass holes. the organization will consist strictly of me and anyone under 12 with a smart mouth.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
its on man.

im gonna use that 10 bucks to start mambla. mike's association of maiming blithering little ass holes. the organization will consist strictly of me and anyone under 12 with a smart mouth.

are you going to release videos onto youtube for that?

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Are you kidding me? Did you see how Putin took that throw? And then get right back up?

And then later sweep that other guy? At his age?

**** that, he's better than me for sure.

if you were referring to my comment, i was talking about the little kid, not putin. i know putin would kick my ass. in fact, you'll never hear me talk about wanting to fight another adult. only children. and maybe women. no big ones though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 02:13 PM
are you going to release videos onto youtube for that?

i have a feeling my camera will be broken, but i'll asure you it happened. for real.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
if you were referring to my comment, i was talking about the little kid, not putin. i know putin would kick my ass. in fact, you'll never hear me talk about wanting to fight another adult. only children. and maybe women. no big ones though.

I would suggest staying away from even small mothers tho....im sure you know they become more crazed than a rabid wolverine if they scent your fear.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
i have a feeling my camera will be broken, but i'll asure you it happened. for real.

based on your reputation, ill take your word for it.

i think you have enough street cred for that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I would suggest staying away from even small mothers tho....im sure you know they become more crazed than a rabid wolverine if they scent your fear.

that brings up a good point. can you imagine what it would be like to fight a really large woman? i mean like gargantuan. a real beastly whale of a woman . .. . like a 700 pounder. i bet it would be like fighting a moon bounce. you know . . . . those bouncy rooms they have for kids at fairs. it would be like fighting one of those except it would smell of unwashed flesh and whatever is trapped in the folds of what used to be their bodies. cheetos and pets they've lost and such. i think all women that size should be put in the ocean, and all men that size should be network admins.

based on your reputation, ill take your word for it.

i think you have enough street cred for that.

respect holms.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 03:06 PM
that brings up a good point. can you imagine what it would be like to fight a really large woman? i mean like gargantuan. a real beastly whale of a woman . .. . like a 700 pounder. i bet it would be like fighting a moon bounce. you know . . . . those bouncy rooms they have for kids at fairs. it would be like fighting one of those except it would smell of unwashed flesh and whatever is trapped in the folds of what used to be their bodies.

respect holms.

ahahahahahah

dude that gives one of the funniest visual impressions ever. especially if you dont picture you, but instead use your avatar in that fight hahahaha

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
that would be awesome. that kid in my avatar is my hero. i love that big foreheaded little
b4stard.

Lucas
09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
his smile is precious

Ray Pina
09-25-2008, 04:28 PM
if you were referring to my comment....

Nah, after all this time I have a pretty good sense of your sense of humor. And I also know you have a pretty good sense of what's up, which way the wind blows, etc., etc.

GeneChing
10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Should MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.net/index.html) carry this?

Vladimir Putin stars in judo DVD (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/a132218/vladimir-putin-stars-in-judo-dvd.html)
Thursday, October 9 2008, 14:10 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has released an educational judo DVD.

Putin, a martial arts black belt, is seen in a judo robe throwing his practice partner to the floor.

Addressing the camera, he said: "In a bout, concessions are permissible but only in one case - if it is for victory."

Putin's former instructor Anatoli Rakhlin credited the politician with the rise in popularity of martial arts in Russia, saying: "It's important that our Prime Minister is a sportsman and not a drunk.

"Victory is an integral part of judo. It goes back to when a Japanese master looked at a cherry tree laden with snow. The branches bent - but then flung the snow off. It's about giving and then winning."

Learn martial arts with Russian PM Vladimir Putin (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2008/10/08/learn-martial-arts-with-russian-pm-vladimir-putin.aspx)
Posted: October 08, 2008, 4:39 PM by Ronald Nurwisah

Wow. Is there anything Vladimir Putin can't do? The man rescued a TV crew from a Siberian tiger, flies fighter jets and invades small former Soviet states without breaking a sweat. So what's next for everyone's favourite world leader (sorry Sarkozy, even your hot wife can't win us over)? Teaching Russian kids judo, that's what.

Along with being a former KGB agent and political strongman, Putin is also a black belt Judoka. For the tape, "Learning Judo with Vladimir Putin" he enlisted the help of former world champion Yasuhiro Yama****a.

Hmm, it might be funny if other world leaders get into the act. Basketball basics with Barack Obama? Playing the piano with Stephen Harper? Horseback riding with George W. Bush. The possibilities are endless.

SimonM
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Absolutely yes!!!! :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Its a well know fact that Judo training leads to dictatorship-like ideology and a fine sense of wine.
Judo is not for the democrat, heck, no MA is for people that believe in equality or democracy.

SimonM
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Zomg rotflmfao!!!

bakxierboxer
10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Its a well know fact that Judo training leads to dictatorship-like ideology and a fine sense of whine.

?????
That looked like you were talking about Democrats.... so I fixed it for you.

Judo is not for the democrat, heck, no MA is for people that believe in equality or democracy.

Especially if it requires enough sense to get in out of the rain. (or wear a rain-coat/"rubber")
OTOH, Democrats don't really believe in either...... unless you go by their own patented off-the-wall definitions which have a rather remarkable resemblance to those of a communist dictatorship.

SimonM
10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
You yanks have a REAL funny idea of what constitutes communist dictatorships don't you?

You realise that in pretty much every other country on earth the Democrats would be seen as a right-centerist party, don't you?

Aaany ways let's steer this back away from politics.

And back to Judo... Judo is fun.

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
You yanks have a REAL funny idea of what constitutes communist dictatorships don't you?

You realise that in pretty much every other country on earth the Democrats would be seen as a right-centerist party, don't you?

And back to Judo... Judo is fun.

Judo is fun on the surface, deep down it is a path to a dark, powerful power, a corrupting power that takes hold of your very soul and puts you into a Hadakajime !

SimonM
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
But the figure four RNC is such fun!

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
But the figure four RNC is such fun!

That's how they get you, then they "allow" you to do ne waza with one of the better looking female students then, beofre you know it you are in her Sankuku Jime !!
Ah, sweet bliss....:D

SimonM
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, laughing so hard that I have run out of letters to emote how funny that was.

bakxierboxer
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM

"It all starts with" that PC/"Politically Correct" BS.... and goes from there.

I can't help what other countries think is "right"/"centrist"/"whatever".

Probably a "good idea"... and one of your better ones, at that.

GeneChing
10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I know what I see when I look in Bush's eyes - CIA

Vladimir Putin (http://www.normantranscript.com/opinion/local_story_284025146) released a video called "Let's Learn Judo with Vladimir Putin." It's a martial arts tape. He teaches Russian judo students how to punch, kick and knock down your opponent and if that doesn't work, poison his Gatorade after the match.

SimonM
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
"It all starts with" that PC/"Politically Correct" BS.... and goes from there.

Like I said... REALLY funny notion about what constitutes a communist dictatorship.

bakxierboxer
10-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Like I said... REALLY funny notion about what constitutes a communist dictatorship.

Heh!
PC is the starting point for the "Big Brother" "Thought Police".

dcrjradmonish
11-14-2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxBlPmVnQvw

GeneChing
11-15-2013, 09:35 AM
There's a potential celebrity grudge match (or at least a an epic rap battle).

Vladimir Putin better at martial arts than legendary Chuck Norris! (http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/vladimir-putin-better-at-martial-arts-than-legendary-chuck-norris_890048.html)
Last Updated: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:25
Sydney: Russian President Vladimir Putin has been awarded a ninth-degree black belt from the World Taekwondo Federation, a rare honour, which places him above legendary martial artist, Chuck Norris.

Putin already has a black belt in judo, and this is a recent addition to his list of achievements, News.com.au reports.

The world's toughest President, as declared by Forbes last month, known for his disdain of shirts, love of guns and ability to do pretty much everything well has achieved the highest honour in Taekwondo even without practicing.

Grandmaster Putin is now in fact rated higher on the Taekwondo hierarchy than Norris, who is only an 8th Dan black belt.

ANI
First Published: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:25

GeneChing
03-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Putin comes up on like 80 threads so I wasn't sure where to put this. There's vid if you follow the link...

Black Belt Putin Wired $150K to American Martial Arts Fighter Who Got Pummeled (http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/barbara-boland/black-belt-putin-wired-150k-american-martial-arts-fighter-who-got-pummeled)
March 14, 2014 - 4:39 PM
By Barbara Boland

Russian President Vladimir Putin gave a Mercedes-Benz to every Russian medalist at the Olympics - and now a new report reveals that Putin wired American Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter Anthony Ruiz - $150,000 because of the resilience and strength he demonstrated in a brutal match in Sochi.

The fight took place in 2012 - Ruiz fought Russian-Bellator's middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko. For three rounds, Ruiz took a pounding from Shlemenko. It was clear that Ruiz was over-matched.

"He got the crap beat out of him," said Alexei Zhernakov, the evening's promoter.

By the end of the third round, Ruiz said, "My nose was broken all the way to the side in the last round. It was brutal."

Schelemnko said he couldn't understand how Ruiz kept getting up from the canvas, calling it a "mystery."

But get up he did - earning him the respect and admiration of Putin.

After the match, Putin approached Ruiz. "You need to fix your nose."

Two weeks later, Ruiz received a call from an unidentified person asking after his health and well-being. Ruiz told the caller he was fine, and then the mysterious person asked him for his "SWIFT code - the standard means of transferring money between banks, used predominantly internationally," the Bleacher Report article says. "Not knowing what the caller was talking about, Ruiz wen to his bank and asked what it meant. When he found out, he gave the caller his swift code, just to see what would happen."

Ruiz found out that $50,000 had been wired to his account from the Russian Federation two days after he gave the caller the code. Not believing his eyes, he went back to the bank to verify the transfer "was legitimate. Ruiz got another $50,000 the next day. And then, he received a third $50,000 wire," the article says.

"The bank was telling me there's some people who aren't all that straight doing transfers and stuff like that," he told Bleacher Report. "I also knew it was coming from Putin, and he's one of the wealthiest persons in the world. So, really, $150,000 ain't that much to him. That's what I'm telling myself to justify it. Sure enough, I kept it in there and left it alone. It was real. It really happened."

Putin is an avid judoist and a black belt, and he wrote a book in 2004 and starred in a DVD on the martial art. In this Russian Times video, Putin shows off his skills.

He says he likes martial arts because "victory always goes to the genuinely strongest." "Not chance, but the athlete's own will, and not the team's strength, but personal skill and courage decide each combat's outcome. There is no hiding behind your teammates in martial arts."

The Bleacher Report says, "Putin is said to be especially enamored with combat sports because of what they reveal about people."

crazychang
03-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Like Western martial artists aren't undercover agents for this guy. They think he is James Bond.

Next time I go to the kodokan I am going to loot the place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRVmVIihh2s

GeneChing
01-08-2016, 10:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2eWf6X5HQ

GeneChing
01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcbCoxfyb90

GeneChing
01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
If only Trump (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69846-Trump) would do MMA (http://www.martialartsmart.com/mma-gear.html) now, America would be great again...or at least on par with Russia. ;)

Putin to give martial arts master class together with Japanese judokas (http://tass.com/sport/927294)
Sport January 25, 17:09 UTC+3
The president added that he had maintained "good relations with Japanese judokas" particularly mentioning the renowned Japanese Judo master Yasuhiro Yama****a

https://cdn2.tass.ru/width/744_b12f2926/tass/m2/en/uploads/i/20170125/1159535.jpg
© Valeriy Sharifulin/TASS

MOSCOW, January 25. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin has promised to give a master class on martial arts at Moscow State University (MSU) together with Japanese martial artists.
Putin professes his love for judo and Japanese culture
On Wednesday, the president met with the students of MSU to congratulate them on Russian Students Day. Given that the president is a judo master, the students presented Putin a black belt. They also told him about the university’s Center for Martial Arts and invited him to give a master class there.
"If I have time, I will surely call sometime later, bring my friends with me, including those who are this sport’s founders," Putin said.
He added that he had maintained "good relations with Japanese judokas" particularly mentioning the renowned Japanese Judo master Yasuhiro Yama****a. "We agreed that a regular judo tournament will be held in the Far East in connection with the East Economic Forum," he pointed out.
Putin added he was glad that Moscow State University, as well as other Russian universities, hosted martial arts tournaments.

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2017, 11:31 AM
I have it on very good authority that Putin is immortal.

GeneChing
07-21-2017, 09:18 AM
There's a vid if you follow the link. It's the Washington Post, after all.

Russian President Vladimir Putin (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66959-Russian-President-Vladimir-Putin) gets called out with a Challenge Match (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?22717-Challenge-Match).

Is Vladimir Putin a judo fraud? (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/18/is-vladimir-putin-a-judo-fraud/?utm_term=.acfc1b3d8e10)
By Derek Hawkins July 18

Russian President Vladimir Putin took part in a training session with Russia's judo team in Sochi on January 8, 2016. Putin held a friendly fight with the team's Italian coach Ezio Gamba. (Reuters)
Vladimir Putin’s martial arts skills are the stuff of legend. Thanks to a steady stream of fawning coverage from Russian state media — often repeated uncritically in American news outlets — Putin is widely reputed to be some sort of high-level expert in judo, his abilities so impressive and so well-known that they have become a metaphor for his governing style.

Putin does possess a black belt, after all, and the 64-year-old Russian president has received multiple martial arts honors from organizations that give out those sorts of things. A quick Google search turns up a huge trove of photos and news footage of him in a white robe flipping opponents on sparring mats with apparent ease. He has co-authored books about judo, and he even starred in an instructional video, aptly titled “Let’s Learn Judo with Vladimir Putin.”

His alleged martial arts prowess certainly fits with the machismo he projects to the world — a perfect complement to the portraits of him posing shirtless in military fatigues and the tall tales of him wrestling bears and felling Siberian tigers with tranquilizer darts.

But is Putin really the master he’s made out to be?

No, says Benjamin Wittes, the editor of the national security blog Lawfare.

Wittes, who happens to be a martial arts aficionado himself, has chided Putin as a “fraud” and a “phony” and is trying to call his bluff by challenging the Russian strongman to a fight in any location where Putin lacks the authority to have him arrested.

Wittes issued the initial challenge in fall 2015, at a time when Lawfare was still a relatively small, wonkish expert blog that catered mostly to national security insiders. In the nearly two years since, Lawfare has surged in popularity, breaking stories about the investigations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and running unforgiving commentary about the Trump administration. Wittes himself has turned into something of a Twitter celebrity and hero to the left, especially after he went on the record in May with his insights about former FBI director James B. Comey’s eyebrow-raising interactions with the president.

Riding the new wave of popularity, Wittes called out Putin again over the weekend, tweeting a link to his original posts about the hypothetical fight. “Got to be ready for the day when the Kremlin finally calls,” he said.

15 Jul
Benjamin Wittes ✔ @benjaminwittes
Ok, folks. Time for taekwondo. Got to be ready for the day when the Kremlin finally calls.
Follow
Benjamin Wittes ✔ @benjaminwittes
https://www.lawfareblog.com/ill-fight-putin-any-time-any-place-he-cant-have-me-arrested …
7:04 AM - 15 Jul 2017

https://lawfare.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/staging/s3fs-public/Putin%20Judo.jpg

I'll Fight Putin Any Time, Any Place He Can't Have Me Arrested (https://www.lawfareblog.com/ill-fight-putin-any-time-any-place-he-cant-have-me-arrested)
My martial arts challenge to the President of the Russian Federation.
lawfareblog.com
152 152 Retweets 459 459 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
According to Wittes, a 47-year-old who holds black belts in taekwondo and aikido, many of Putin’s judo videos — and there are lots of them — are bunk. They typically start with some shots of Putin and his sparring partners warming up, then transition into Putin throwing or tackling an opponent. Wittes says Putin’s partners drop to the floor all too easily.

“At least in the videos I have seen, there are no committed attacks on Putin, and I see no evidence that his opponents are ever trying to get the better of him,” Wittes wrote on Lawfare. “The videos are demonstrations in which he shows off his masculine prowess with them taking what the Japanese call ukemi (defensive falls) for him.”

In a Facebook post titled “Why Won’t Vladimir Putin Fight Me?,” Wittes put it more bluntly: “Putin is fraud martial artist. He only fights people who are in his power, and they are all taking falls for him.”

The dark side of Putin’s displays, Wittes wrote, was that they were rooted in his aggression on the international stage and repression of dissidents and minority groups at home.

Putin’s martial arts background is well accounted for, and he has long advocated for judo and other fighting techniques as a way of disciplining oneself. Whether he’s actually as fierce a fighter as he is made out to be is, of course, a different question, one that few writers other than Wittes have approached with much skepticism.

Putin’s biographers note that he started practicing judo and the Soviet combat technique Sambo as a teenager in St. Petersburg. In a 2001 interview with NPR, he described his lifelong love of both sports:

I started practicing this sport when I was 14, and as a matter of fact, what I did start engaging in was something called sambo, which is a Russian acronym for, quote, “self-defense without arms,” unquote, which is a Russian wrestling technique. And, after that, I joined a gym that was teaching judo. And I was what they call a master of sports. We have our sporting ranks, and the equivalent of the black belt I received when I was, I guess, 18, in judo. And all my adult life I have been practicing judo — I guess I can put it this way — and I do love the sport tremendously. And I think that there is more to it than just sport. I think it’s also a philosophy in a way, and I think it’s a philosophy that teaches one to treat one’s partner with respect. And I engage in this sport with pleasure and try to have regular practices still. Yes, still.

In recent years, Putin has received honorary martial arts awards, bestowed not so much in recognition of his actual skills as for his advocacy. In 2014, an international karate organization awarded him an eighth-degree black belt for his work promoting a form of full contact karate in Russia. The previous year, he was made a grandmaster of taekwondo by the World Taekwondo Federation after a visit to South Korea, even though he doesn’t practice the sport. The Independent noted at the time that he now ranks higher than martial arts expert and action movie star Chuck Norris.

RT and other state-funded media have enthusiastically promoted those honors and others at every turn, weaving an almost super hero-like persona of Putin that revolves in part around his mastery of martial arts.

“Who needs bodyguards when you’re this good at self-defense?” asks an RT reporter in a 2008 news clip over video of Putin leg-sweeping an opponent on the sparring mat. “Vladimir Putin shows he’s a politician not to be messed with.”

Some American outlets, too, seem to revel in the idea of Putin as a caricature of a dictator for whom martial arts are a meme-worthy eccentricity. Doting headlines include: “Vladimir Putin’s Judo Skills Are Better Than Yours,” “Putin shows off by throwing members of Russia’s judo team to the ground,” and “Vladimir Putin Earns 9th Degree Black Belt In Taekwondo, Because That’s What Vladimir Putin Does.”

Wittes, of Lawfare, doesn’t buy it, and his proposal to fight Putin is not a joke, he says.

“Putin needs either to fight this reasonably well-trained but not especially expert middle-aged desk worker in a situation in which I’m actually allowed to win without fear of reprisal, or he should face condemnation worldwide as a wuss and a phony,” he wrote. “A truly strong leader doesn’t need to stage displays using lackeys subject to his power.”