PDA

View Full Version : My daughter won the 2013 International Pole Championship

YouKnowWho
12-06-2013, 05:49 PM
My daughter Natasha Wang won the 1st place California pole dancing in 2010, the 1st place US pole dancing in 2011. 2nd Place Winner of Pole Art 2012.

http://natashawang.com/

She just won the 1st place International pole dancing in 2013 last weekend.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/lifestyle/story/pole-dancing-champion-wins-madam-white-snake-routine-20131201 (advance to 4.12)

A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago took home the title of "ultimate champion in the women's category of the International Pole Championship" on Saturday night.

Natasha Wang, who is of Chinese descent, won the award after her routine inspired by the Chinese legend of "Madame White Snake". More than 1,000 people attended the event, held at the National University of Singapore's University Cultural Centre.

Organised annually by the International Pole Dance Fitness Association, the competition was held in Singapore for the first time this year. The event drew 30 of the world's best pole dancers from 12 countries, including Finland, Australia, Singapore and the United States.

Ms Wang, who lives in Los Angeles, says she was completely unathletic and never participated in any sport or dance until she was 29. "I'm completely elated," she told The Straits Times. "This win means a lot to me, because I was considering not even competing this year."

GeneChing
12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
You must be a proud poppa. :D

YouKnowWho
12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?

bawang
12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
why would you be proud of your child pole dancing? I don't get it.

dcrjradmonish
12-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Congradulation it's a good feeling to see your kids work hard at something and acheive goals.

MasterKiller
12-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.

Pete
12-07-2013, 07:35 AM
A 38-year-old American with no previous sport or dance experience until nine years ago

NINE YEARS lol f***ing rapid!

TaichiMantis
12-07-2013, 09:17 AM
1. Congrats to Ms Wang, beautiful routine!
2. Loved the 63 year old former gymnast/ martial artist!
3. Can't believe no one has mentioned the male contestants...Daniel Kok? ;)

IronWeasel
12-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Congratulations!

YouKnowWho
12-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks, guys.

Because I'm a left wing liberal.

Lucas
12-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Can I marry your daughter?

SPJ
12-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Two points to add:

1 When the pole was used, I was thinking about extra long staff or spear to wield as a long weapon.

I was also thinking about poles standing training or zhuang gong. You practice your steps and postures by standing atop of poles.

I was also thinking about striking poles with cushions as striking drills for many "opponents".

---

2. Personally, I like black dragon encircling the pillar (wu long jiao zhu) better than white snake.

Of course, we all know white snake fairy and Xu Xian. It is a romantic fairy tale.

--

:cool:

--

ghostexorcist
12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I would totally bang that 63 year old in the video.

Ha! I was just amazed at the shape that lady is in.

Syn7
12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
That's the difference between functional strength and raw power. Same reason why wrestlers get caveman strong. I'm not sayin you shouldn't lift weights, but whats better? Being able to flip a car or do handstand pushups for days? Swing a golf club, or have to use a tree to scratch the back of your shoulder. Just sayin... :p

sanjuro_ronin
12-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I started this thread in the Kung Fu Forum session because I believe the "function strength" can be an interest discussion subject. My daughter had never lifted any weight in her life but her "functional strength" is more powerful than mine in certain area. This just seems to contradict to what people may believe in "weight lifting". How can we explain that?

Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
Since never of course.
I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".

Frost
12-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Functional stength is task specific, this is strength that is built by doing the given task.
Like pole dancing or swinging an ax or a sledgehammer, to wrestling.
Then there is "raw" or "pure" strength like powerlifters and "strong man" competitions get, this is just pure strength ( though much of what strongmen do can also be task/function specific).
It is not a case of either/or in regards to what is better.
No can argue with the benefits of pure strength since it translates over into everything we do.
Functional strength doesn't really mean anything more than being strong at a given task.
That the vase majority of professional sports athletes do some type of weight training should make it clear that it is very useful.
I mean, who doesn't want to be strong? since when is being weak better than strong?
Since never of course.
I can't do have the crap your daughter can, I don't think I would want to, LOL !
Of course just the other day I spent 4 hours hauling 90lbs bags up stairs and never got tired or sore or even winded so, I guess my "raw strength" was good even for that "function".

its also the case that the lighter the bodyweight the more easily one can move that bodyweight, hence you dont see any heavyweight gymnasts

Syn7
12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
It's about time management and balancing strength with everything else. I remember wrestling gorilla manchildren who weighed much more than me and spent way too much time on weights and not enough time doing mat drills. Sure, they could pick me up and drop me on my face, but if I survived that, and to be fair sometimes I didn't, I would usually win. Whereas the guys who outweighed me by a bunch and did hardcore mat drills would beat me 99% of the time.

Like I said, I'm not knocking weights. I just think some folks overemphasize one aspect and neglect others. I started rolling with a few cats I know from the gym. One is learning boxing and wanted to learn submissions. This guy is stacked, but the mat drills do him in every time. So many years of trying to look pretty, now he's starting to learn what it's really like to be strong AND more rounded.

YouKnowWho
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
its also the case that the lighter the bodyweight the more easily one can move that bodyweight, hence you dont see any heavyweight gymnasts

This is very true. My 3 lb Yorkie can stand on her 2 front legs, walk and pee at the same time.

http://imageshack.com/a/img19/8890/knq0.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
12-09-2013, 01:00 PM
It's about time management and balancing strength with everything else. I remember wrestling gorilla manchildren who weighed much more than me and spent way too much time on weights and not enough time doing mat drills. Sure, they could pick me up and drop me on my face, but if I survived that, and to be fair sometimes I didn't, I would usually win. Whereas the guys who outweighed me by a bunch and did hardcore mat drills would beat me 99% of the time.

Like I said, I'm not knocking weights. I just think some folks overemphasize one aspect and neglect others. I started rolling with a few cats I know from the gym. One is learning boxing and wanted to learn submissions. This guy is stacked, but the mat drills do him in every time. So many years of trying to look pretty, now he's starting to learn what it's really like to be strong AND more rounded.

No one will argue with you on that.
As MA we have to prioritize our MA first and everything else second.
Strength training is secondary to building a solid MA foundation.
Sure there are times when we will prioritize strength, just as there are times we prioritize weapons or speed or stamina or flexibility.
The point is that is is very rarely a case of either/or.

You make a valid point about time management because, time is finite.
That said, MA are notorious "time wasters", why?
We can spend hours and hours, days and years training and NEVER using it !
Here is the thing though, IF we go strictly on time management and a cost to benefit ration then MA makes LESS sense than ST !
We use strength in varying degrees everyday, we rarely use our MA skill.

Syn7
12-09-2013, 02:22 PM
What I said was more a comment about ST in general. So far I have been very lucky. I am one of the only people I practice with who isn't dealing with some ****ty injury in one way or another. I honestly believe it's because I was into other physical things outside of grappling and MA's. Had I not done these other activities, I can totally see myself getting sucked into following one path too far. I want to be a jack of all trades, so to speak. Not a master of one. It's about overall usefulness. I'll never forget how to fight and I will always practice it. But I'm glad I get high level exercise from other areas in my life too. One thing I really wanna do is start climbing more. So fun. To be honest, I think gym rats of all kinds are missing out on some beautiful applications and abilities as far as a high level of fitness is concerned. Why throw all your eggs in to so few baskets? Unless you have a very specific professional goal, that is. In that case, you kinda have to run with the program, but a price will be extracted later. Bet on that.

Frost
12-11-2013, 05:42 AM
What I said was more a comment about ST in general. So far I have been very lucky. I am one of the only people I practice with who isn't dealing with some ****ty injury in one way or another. I honestly believe it's because I was into other physical things outside of grappling and MA's. Had I not done these other activities, I can totally see myself getting sucked into following one path too far. I want to be a jack of all trades, so to speak. Not a master of one. It's about overall usefulness. I'll never forget how to fight and I will always practice it. But I'm glad I get high level exercise from other areas in my life too. One thing I really wanna do is start climbing more. So fun. To be honest, I think gym rats of all kinds are missing out on some beautiful applications and abilities as far as a high level of fitness is concerned. Why throw all your eggs in to so few baskets? Unless you have a very specific professional goal, that is. In that case, you kinda have to run with the program, but a price will be extracted later. Bet on that.

Out of interest how old are you and what martial arts are you still training on a weekly basis? I ask because most of the long term martial arts injuries I have had, and seen in others come in those that are still and training hard in their 30’s and beyond,
Also are you still competing in grappling and striking? Because outside of the age issue most long term injuries come about from those getting ready for competition (not from the competition itself funnily enough?
As far as the gym stuff coming back to hurt you in the long term again it all depends and isn’t that clear cut, I know several lifelong powerlifters who are still training (and in some cases competing) in their 60s and even 70s, yes they have some issues, such as limited overhead range of motion, elbow pains etc but who is to say this is a bad thing, when you compare them to the average 70 year old who cant even get out of a chair or walk without some kind of aid
A physiotherapist I know who still lifts weights,, plays rugby and does martial arts in his mid 50s said the number one issue he sees in older patients is joint and muscle problems due to under use, he would rather they did resistance work that cardio work, in fact he took up weights when he turned 50 for that very reason

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2013, 06:18 AM
I have found similar conclusions as Frost has.
I would also add that you can use resistance training for your cardio too and get the "best of both worlds" sort of speaking.

-N-
12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAnKAAwn-m4

This is how it started...

Syn7
12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Out of interest how old are you and what martial arts are you still training on a weekly basis? I ask because most of the long term martial arts injuries I have had, and seen in others come in those that are still and training hard in their 30’s and beyond,
Also are you still competing in grappling and striking? Because outside of the age issue most long term injuries come about from those getting ready for competition (not from the competition itself funnily enough?
As far as the gym stuff coming back to hurt you in the long term again it all depends and isn’t that clear cut, I know several lifelong powerlifters who are still training (and in some cases competing) in their 60s and even 70s, yes they have some issues, such as limited overhead range of motion, elbow pains etc but who is to say this is a bad thing, when you compare them to the average 70 year old who cant even get out of a chair or walk without some kind of aid
A physiotherapist I know who still lifts weights,, plays rugby and does martial arts in his mid 50s said the number one issue he sees in older patients is joint and muscle problems due to under use, he would rather they did resistance work that cardio work, in fact he took up weights when he turned 50 for that very reason

Yeah I'm in my 30's, so not getting injured is becoming more of a priority. When I was younger I was really physically aggressive, and I think I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself. Most of the people I know that are injured are either dealing with old nagging injuries or they are younger and still going all out. I have no more interest in comps really. I just like to roll and stay in shape. I try to do as much of what I did when I was younger but it's a much different pace as I have other stuff to do too. Between gymnastics, bboyin and MA's I have a pretty good base, but I can feel it slowly slipping away as I prioritize more on non physical activities I'm involved in. Like, I don't run and jump into windmills anymore, I haven't done halos in like 5 years, can't remember the last time I did a series of backhandsprings etc etc.

Powerlifting just isn't for me. I feel I can keep good shape w/o going there. I have no interest in being bulky like that, I just don't see the need. But that's me. If dudes wanna powerlift into their later years and are better for it, good for them, right? It's just in my experience, I see dudes prioritizing things that don't make sense to me. All my experience tells me that being well rounded is far better than being one dimensional. In fact, I can take that into most areas of life and it holds true. It's all anecdotal though, I'm sure there are many exceptions.

mickey
12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Greetings,

While I am visiting:

Congratulations to the Wang Family!!!

mickey

YouKnowWho
12-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Did your daughter train in martial arts for this, YouKnowWho?
Not enough to be called TCMAist.

bawang
12-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks, guys.

Because I'm a left wing liberal.

the purpose of outdated tcma is to carry the seed, the spirit to the next generation. you leave no legacy behind.

SPJ
12-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I like the idea of development of functional strength or body conditioning.

Yes. The pole dancers use their arm strength to support their body weight and movement along the pole.

It is for balance and performance.

One can imagine that you may kick the opponents while your arms supporting your weight with the pole.

There are moves when you use your staff to support while your kick.

The same function of body use but for different purposes. One is to kick, while the other is to perform.

There are many ways to use the pole to practice your MA.

JW showed shuai jiao use of pole to practice arm and leg wrapping.

We may think about striking the poles and standing on poles to practice MA.

All are about balance and focus of posture and power.

One is for performance. The other is to develop functional strength for fighting purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf62XzujFzY

Teresa Deng from 1970s.

:cool:

SPJ
12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V474jPVJBZ8

The same song with Jazzified backgroud music.

Yang yu ying 2011.

We may do a similar move/song but with different purpose and focus/tune.

That is.

:)

bawang
05-06-2015, 05:02 AM
i still think its pretty weird john was openly proud of his daughter being pole dancing champion.

sanjuro_ronin
05-06-2015, 05:58 AM
i still think its pretty weird john was openly proud of his daughter being pole dancing champion.

Only because we tend to associate pole dancing with strippers.

David Jamieson
05-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Only because we tend to associate pole dancing with strippers.

That is where it started in North America. So, people are going to associate it with that.
Besides, the Male version from India isn't going to bring in the crowds that scantily clad women will. :)

GeneChing
05-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Here's the new one: Chinese-Pole-Dancing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68633-Chinese-Pole-Dancing)

Because pole dancing deserves more than just one thread here on the KFM forum. ;)

GeneChing
08-01-2016, 09:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrBG8kIiMC0&sns

GeneChing
08-24-2018, 06:26 AM
POLE-DANCING SIXTH-GRADE TEACHER SUSPENDED AFTER VIDEO LEAKS (https://www.newsweek.com/north-carolina-pole-dancing-teacher-suspended-when-video-emerged-1082559)
BY EWAN PALMER ON 8/21/18 AT 6:57 AM

A North Carolina teacher has been suspended after the school district where she worked came across a video of her taking in a pole-dancing class, according to reports.

Kandice Mason, a teacher at West Hoke County Middle School, said she posted a video of her pole-dancing onto her private Facebook account. The video was somehow then seen by her employers.

The sixth-grade teacher, who also works part-time as a pole-dancing instructor, said she received news of her suspension while she was preparing for the new school year.

“I was really excited,” Mason told WSOC. “I had already been given my classroom.”

Mason, who has a master's in psychology, bachelor's in English and a certificate in phlebotomy, said she pole-dances a form of exercise and to unwind.

"That's how I stay in shape,” Mason said. “That's how I feel like I can express myself and have time for myself.”

Mason said the school did not fully disclose why she has been suspended, with administrators only citing a policy that states: “As role models for the school system employees are responsible for their public conduct…even when they are not performing their job duties as employees of the school system,” reports ABC 7.

https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/full/public/2018/08/21/gettyimages-57525908.jpg
A woman performs pole tricks during a Polepeople pole dancing class May 3, 2006 in London, England. Kandice Mason said she was suspended because the school district found out she's a part-time pole dancing instructor.
SCOTT BARBOUR/GETTY IMAGES

The single mother of two has criticized the school district for punishing her for taking part in a hobby in private.

"I've worked so hard to try and make sure I can provide for my daughters and our livelihood to have it jeopardized just for doing something that I'm passionate about," said Mason.

She added she is angry at whoever leaked the private video form her Facebook page to her employers.

"It wasn't even like it was a parent or student that brought this up. It was someone that was being malicious and pretty much trying to make me out to be a bad person," she said.

Despite the suspension, Mason said pole-dancing is still something she has “never felt ashamed" of doing.

“It's just an art for me. I just don't see it as negative," Mason said.

Hoke County Schools confirmed Mason has been suspended but did not specify why. In a statement, schools representative Donna Thomas said: "Kandice Mason has been suspended with pay pending an investigation."

Her case could go before the Hoke County School Board, which would have the final on her employment.

It's really a shame that pole dancing has been so tainted by strippers. It's a remarkable art form and can be very tasteful.

GeneChing
02-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Pole Dancing isn't even a sport in consideration by the IOC. But it still might beat Wushu. :eek:;)

VICTORY LAP (DANCE) Pole dancing officially made a sport and could now be included in the OLYMPICS (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4694689/pole-dancing-sport-olympics/)
Atheltes have to complete drug testing regimes and rigorous training and the sport could be set for the biggest stage in international sport
Alex Terrell
17 Oct 2017, 11:26Updated: 4 Feb 2020, 15:17

POLE DANCING has been officially recognised as a proper sport – and now wants to make it into the OLYMPICS.

The fitness activity, which has traditionally been associated with strip clubs, could now be set to be unveiled on the biggest stage in international sport.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nintchdbpict000315490447.jpg?w=670
A pole dancer performs a trick with one arm holding the pole Credit: AFP

Campaigner Katie Coates, 41, finally won her 11-year fight after the Global Association of International Sports Federation (GAISF) confirmed the activity would now be classed as a professional sport last week.

Katie, president of the international pole sports federation (IPSF), is now aiming for it to become a part of the Olympic Games.

She began the long road to getting pole dancing recognised as a sport in 2006, when she started a petition to get it into the Olympics which attracted more than 10,000 signatures.

Katie said: "In the early 2000s people started doing it as fitness and taking away the sex stigma, so no high heels and making it accessible for average people.

"Pole dancing is not like everyone thinks it is, you need to actually watch it to understand.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nintchdbpict000360531872.jpg?w=670
International pole dancing has been ratified as an official sport Credit: International Pole Sports Federation

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nintchdbpict000360531429.jpg?w=670
Campaigner Katie Coates has taken a huge step in her 11-year fight to get pole dancing recognised as a sport Credit: International Pole Sports Federation

"Competitions started but they were very amateur, with friends of friends doing the judging. My goal initially was to make it more professional.

"I feel like we have achieved the impossible, everyone told us that we would not be able to get pole dancing recognised as a sport."

After the success of the petition in 2006, Katie "dropped everything" and began working with the global pole dancing community to turn it into a sport.

In 2009 the international pole sports federation was officially launched, with Katie as the president, and they held their first world championships in 2012 to coincide with the Olympics.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nintchdbpict000315217376.jpg?w=670
A pole dancer clings upside down to the pole Credit: AFP

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/nintchdbpict000292622499.jpg?w=670
Pole dancing has long been associated with gentlemen's clubsCredit: Alamy

GeneChing
01-26-2021, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MMXqjMe1WQ

YinOrYan
01-28-2021, 11:00 AM
Pole Dancing isn't even a sport in consideration by the IOC. But it still might beat Wushu. :eek:;)

Pole weapons indeed!10882

highlypotion
03-15-2021, 10:11 PM

Because It's their dream. And as a father, you need to be proud and respectful of what your daughter/son achieved because It is a lifetime achievement.

GeneChing
06-24-2021, 09:05 AM
...but I must post it here.

Pole dancer voiced by Cynthia Nixon turns heads in Meatpacking District (https://pagesix.com/2021/06/23/pole-dancer-voiced-by-cynthia-nixon-turns-heads/)
By Ian MohrJune 23, 2021 | 1:42pm
https://pagesix.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/06/Donna-Carnow-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=650
Donna Carnow is seen dancing in a past performance.David Tufino / Instagram

A pole dancer gyrating in a window turned heads in the Meatpacking District this week — but the spectacle was part of an experimental new play rather than a return to the area’s grittier days.

As part of a new production called “Seven Deadly Sins,” a dancer appeared behind glass doing acrobatic moves including “splits, fan kicks and martini spins,” a source said.

But it turned out that the dancer, Donna Carnow, was performing as part of a theater piece called “Lust” by playwright Bess Wohl.

“Seven Deadly Sins” was originally performed in Miami, and audiences “rotate through seven uniquely designed storefronts” to experience each sin. The Manhattan version warns ticket holders that the show contains “mature content including nudity, adult language, simulated sex, simulated sexual violence, simulated sex work, and death.”

Attendees get headphones to hear what’s going on behind the windows. For “Lust,” as Carnow pole dances, audiences hear her thoughts — some of which are unexpectedly mundane, such as going over a grocery list of, “eggs, milk, baby carrots and cucumbers … the little ones. Sliced turkey.”

https://pagesix.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/06/GettyImages-1199885993.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024
Cynthia Nixon, pictured here in 2020, has lent her voice to a racy new theater project.
Bruce Glikas/WireImage
Spies said that guests at a recent dress rehearsal before the show launched this week raised eyebrows when they recognized the voice in their headphones during the pole-dancing routine as sounding familiar. “Is that … Cynthia Nixon?” a guest correctly exclaimed, putting together that the narration is by the “Sex and the City” star.

Turns out that Nixon was “asked by longtime pal and the production’s director, Moisés Kaufman, to voice the pole dancer role, and she’d recorded the audio last week to help support one of the first live theater experience to open in New York since the pandemic,” a source told Page Six.

Even without hearing the audio, “a group of kids on their way to their prom dinner — in full prom dress, with corsages and tuxedos — stopped to take pictures,” a source said.

Meanwhile, “a tourist walking by with his wife compared it to Amsterdam’s ‘red-light district,’ and a Meatpacking District resident noted, ‘We haven’t had something like this in the area for a long time,'” the witness related.

The limited engagement is playing through July 18, but sales are strong enough that it might be extended, we hear.

The show’s writers include Ngozi Anyanwu, Thomas Bradshaw, MJ Kaufman, Moisés Kaufman, Jeffrey LaHoste and Ming Peiffer.

Nixon is also currently starring in HBO Max’s upcoming “Sex and the City” reboot. Carnow is a choreographer, performer and pole champion.

GeneChing
01-02-2022, 01:18 PM
Slightly OT for our Cirque-du-Soleil-auditioning-for-martial-artists (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37324-Cirque-du-Soleil-auditioning-for-martial-artists) because pole dancing (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67014-My-daughter-won-the-2013-International-Pole-Championship) is not a martial art...

Job Title: Urgent Casting Call: High Level Pole Dance specialist (https://cirquedusoleil-casting.secure.force.com/ene/ts2mmx__JobDetails?jobId=a0x3m00001FKPjjAAH&tSource=&fbclid=IwAR08ZFnsXDAZFVRhh2vgHreN0LrCksbQeUevLpAvR yJSNeSPxN3abzeGEVA)
Discipline: Other Talents
Share | |Email this job
Urgent Casting Call: Hight Level Pole Dance Specialist

The Cirque du Soleil Casting team is looking for a high level female Pole Dance specialist to play in our touring show.

Role: Pole Dancer:

The artist will be expected to perform Pole Dance act in the show as well as contribute to other acrobatic and dance acts throughout the show.

Duration of contract: 1 year contract starting February 2022.

Character traits:

Female;
18 years old or older;
Excellent physical condition.
Requirements:

Strong technical skills in Pole Dance with a good flexibility and strenght
Experience in Pole Dance - Very high level only (example: Finalist of international competitions or similar events/experiences);
Ability to portray character’s traits;
Good movement, dance and acting abilities;

Team Player.

Submissions instructions

If you meet these requirements, please submit your application, including:

Your resumé;
Two photos max (one headshot and one full-body shot);
Video excerpts of the following elements:
A maximum one-minute presentation to the camera (full body shot in fitted clothing): tell us your name, general background and the reasons for your interest in joining Cirque du Soleil.

Recent footage of your Pole Dance performace (we are looking for a very high technical level, dynamic style and sequences, strong acrobatic tricks on the floor)

Please note, that preselected candidates might be asked to film a specific video later in the selection process.

Deadline for submissions: Wednesday, January 5, 2022.

Important information:

All complete profiles (including a resumé/CV, photos and demo video) will be evaluated by a talent scout from the Casting team. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
General terms and conditions of applying online:

The profile information of candidates will be used by Cirque du Soleil and its partners;

The material submitted by candidates will not be returned;

The material of candidates who are not selected may be destroyed by the Casting team;

By applying online, candidates who submit their material via links to demo videos agree that Casting will extract material from these links if necessary to add it to the candidate’s profile;

Applications may be considered for one or more roles in all our current shows and upcoming creations.
We can’t wait to discover your talent! Thank you for your interest in Cirque du Soleil.