PDA

View Full Version : The training in this video would destroy the internal

SavvySavage
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68966

Raipizo
12-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Dang, he's pretty agile. I've been using sandbags to exercise along with kettlebells. I find them harder to use than regular dumb bells. Very nice video you found :D

SavvySavage
12-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Dang, he's pretty agile. I've been using sandbags to exercise along with kettlebells. I find them harder to use than regular dumb bells. Very nice video you found :D

I have all his DVDs and his books are good. I highly recommend.

Raipizo
12-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Awesome. Been trying functional strength training out lately. Got any tricks up your sleeve?

SavvySavage
12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Awesome. Been trying functional strength training out lately. Got any tricks up your sleeve?

Depends on what you do. Are you mostly a striker, grappler...?

Raipizo
12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Mostly striker, I have some judo experience as well though but more striking. I saw the link of Ross's with all the homemade stuff. Very cool :D

SavvySavage
12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Mostly striker, I have some judo experience as well though but more striking. I saw the link of Ross's with all the homemade stuff. Very cool :D

I've been doing some isometric punch stuff. Let's say you are training straight punches. Place your first against the wall with your arm still bent like you're about to punch. Push into the wall and tense up as much as you can like you are trying to punch through the wall for about 10 seconds. This will train starting power which will theoretically make you punch faster which then makes you punch harder. Does that make any sense?

PM me york email address and I'll send you some stuff. Also let me know if you're a Mac or a PC guy in the message.

Raipizo
12-11-2013, 02:14 AM
Keep your arm stiff or are you slowly pushing?

Frost
12-11-2013, 05:41 AM

Its isometric so it doesn’t move at all you brace and push, how useful it really is is anybody’s guess, you would probably get more use out of medicine ball throws into a wall (both front facing and twisting) which will make you more explosive from the ground up
If you want true functional strength actually do your sport/martial art, everything else is just general training regardless of what people say

SavvySavage
12-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Frost is correct. You are tensing up and trying to punch but the wall is blocking you. This image might be useful. Imagine if you were starting a punch against the wall and the wall was blocking you. So you're standing there trying to punch through the wall and all of a sudden the wall vanishes and your fist goes flying forward at a high speed. That's essentially what you're training for: starting speed/power.

Scott R. Brown
12-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Try the shot put.

Frost
12-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Try the shot put.

Joel Jamison over at enzone training, who trains some of the best MMA fighters around says when he spoke to a trainer who worked heavily with the top athletes in the old soviet union he said they used kettlebells mainly for throwing movements just like the shot to develop explosiveness

Miqi
12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
In statistics there's a problem called the denominator/numerator problem, which is when one set of statistics is compared against another set of statistics, but each was actually collected by a different method, rendering the final figures suspect. Similarly, it's difficut to compare the training of people in the past, with their poor diets, poor health care, need to do back-breaking, long hours of hard work etc., with professional level atheltes in modern times, who have access to really great, scientific diets, training and methods. You would have to hold those factors constant - i.e. assume that they were the same for both - before assessing whether there are any training principles in the old ways which are useful. Or, you'd have to consider the needs of the old wushu guys, compared to their capacity to achieve a good level. In that case, maybe their stuff was the best it could be at that time.

MarathonTmatt
12-27-2013, 01:56 PM
In statistics there's a problem called the denominator/numerator problem, which is when one set of statistics is compared against another set of statistics, but each was actually collected by a different method, rendering the final figures suspect. Similarly, it's difficut to compare the training of people in the past, with their poor diets, poor health care, need to do back-breaking, long hours of hard work etc., with professional level atheltes in modern times, who have access to really great, scientific diets, training and methods. You would have to hold those factors constant - i.e. assume that they were the same for both - before assessing whether there are any training principles in the old ways which are useful. Or, you'd have to consider the needs of the old wushu guys, compared to their capacity to achieve a good level. In that case, maybe their stuff was the best it could be at that time.

I would say one could have the best of both worlds- for instance after chopping down trees all day and stacking them into piles, I pick the large piles up and sling them over my shoulders/ top of the head for balance, making sure they are really heavy but well-balanced. Then I walk with the load on my back, hauling the piles for a quarter mile, up moderate inclines where I can dump them. So this kind of thing is how people worked in the past.
At the same time I do that, I also train in Kung Fu, Tai Chi and other exercises like running, push-ups, some weight lifting, etc. A lot of the body-builder types cannot do strenuous manual labor- I found that out in high school, at a concert in the city, when a group of body-builder type guys could not "ring the bell" with the hammer on one of those carnival games. Then I strut up, built but lanky (big shoulders, big chest, some meat on my bones but 'skinny'), smoking a cigarette (unfortunately in those days), grab the hammer and get the bell to ring in one try. All of their girlfriends looked at me sideways, ha ha.

Yeah, that guy in the video has an intense work-out, he is ripped, holy geez.

Miqi
12-28-2013, 03:15 AM
I would say one could have the best of both worlds- for instance after chopping down trees all day and stacking them into piles, I pick the large piles up and sling them over my shoulders/ top of the head for balance, making sure they are really heavy but well-balanced. Then I walk with the load on my back, hauling the piles for a quarter mile, up moderate inclines where I can dump them. So this kind of thing is how people worked in the past.
At the same time I do that, I also train in Kung Fu, Tai Chi and other exercises like running, push-ups, some weight lifting, etc. A lot of the body-builder types cannot do strenuous manual labor- I found that out in high school, at a concert in the city, when a group of body-builder type guys could not "ring the bell" with the hammer on one of those carnival games. Then I strut up, built but lanky (big shoulders, big chest, some meat on my bones but 'skinny'), smoking a cigarette (unfortunately in those days), grab the hammer and get the bell to ring in one try. All of their girlfriends looked at me sideways, ha ha.

Yeah, that guy in the video has an intense work-out, he is ripped, holy geez.

Last year I took my old washing machine to the tip - excuse me 'eco-centre' - and outside, as always, were the scrap metal guys who take any old scrap off you and cash it in. Me and my son had gotten this heavy old machine into the boot, but some scrap metal dealing kid, who was skinny as anything, half my size, just lifted it straight out of the boot, carried over to his skip and threw it in. That was a good lesson for me!