PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to this forum?

YouKnowWho
12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
The new threads are boring. No depth level discussion any more. Have we run out of meaningful discussion subjects?

SPJ
12-19-2013, 09:57 PM
The new threads are boring. No depth level discussion any more. Have we run out of meaningful discussion subjects?
Everybody is shopping for the holidays next week.

Me working on some new manuscripts.

---

mickey
12-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Greetings,

It is the new color scheme of the forum. As Gene wrote earlier, it is colder. For me, it goes much beyond that. It is like being in a room with one thousand air conditioners on full blast.

mickey

-N-
12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Don't like the new forum layout either. Readability on the previous one was better for me, so I don't put as much effort in looking around now.

Minghequan
12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Perhaps its a reflection of the state of the martial arts?

YouKnowWho
12-19-2013, 11:47 PM
In another forum, someone started a thread with a clip. I asked what did he want to discuss. He said that he didn't want to discuss anything, but to show that clip and hope that someone will be interested in it. I assume the same thing also happen to other forums. May be all the subjects that are worthwhile to discuss has been discussed.

How many times do we have to re-visit:

- The difference between TCMA and MMA?
- Is BJJ good for street fight?
- Personal weight training program?
- Should one cross train?
- What's the best cross training systems?
- Self-defense vs. sport?
- What's the purpose of the form?
- Which WC system is the best?
- Should a Taiji guy lean?
- Does Aikido work?

Orion Paximus
12-20-2013, 06:31 AM
In another forum, someone started a thread with a clip. I asked what did he want to discuss. He said that he didn't want to discuss anything, but to show that clip and hope that someone will be interested in it. I assume the same thing also happen to other forums. May be all the subjects that are worthwhile to discuss has been discussed.

How many times do we have to re-visit:

- The difference between TCMA and MMA?
- Is BJJ good for street fight?
- Personal weight training program?
- Should one cross train?
- What's the best cross training systems?
- Self-defense vs. sport?
- What's the purpose of the form?
- Which WC system is the best?
- Should a Taiji guy lean?
- Does Aikido work?

Actually, the issue with this forum is as follows:

Scenario 1

New Poster: Hey guys! I just started "___________" Kung Fu and I'm so glad to be here to discuss Kung Fu with other Kung Fu Bros!
The Usual Suspects: "_________" Kung Fu? Never heard of it, it is obviously fake and you are fake and you are dumb please leave
New Poster: But... but... Kung fu?
TUS: Tits or GTFO

Scenario 2

New/regular poster: Hey guys, check out this vid of me doing this form/sparring/practicing it's a little rough but it shows what I'm working on

TUS: Your form is wrong, whoever taught it to you is wrong and should die / you spar like a 12 year old blind girl, you would die in a fight

New/Regular Poster: Well I don't see how the form is wrong i've seen tons of people doing it this way / I think I was sparring pretty good, the guy was also good

TUS: No you suck and Kung Fu is not for you

Scenario 3
New Poster/Regular Poster: Hey guys, look at this set and applications let's discuss

TUS: Kung Fu is useless in real life even though this is a kung fu forum and we also train kung fu but we know it's just for fun and getting to wear silky suits, we train in BJJ and boxing for our real fighting. Your life is a lie please leave.

That's why this forum is mostly dead. But hey, at least that hot chicks with swords thread still exists. Until you guys stop letting these detractors rule this place, you're never going to get back to meaningful kung fu/taiji/whatever discussion here.

lkfmdc
12-20-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd say it is indeed to new format, not as warm, actually harder to read, and I guess anything new = harder to function....

Frost
12-20-2013, 08:22 AM
The place was closed so long people realised that real life is better than argueing on the internet with strangers :)

David Jamieson
12-20-2013, 08:24 AM
The place was closed so ling people realised that real life is better than argueing on the internet with strangers :)

It is not!

pateticorecords
12-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Way funny but true :)

Scenario 1

New Poster: Hey guys! I just started "___________" Kung Fu and I'm so glad to be here to discuss Kung Fu with other Kung Fu Bros!
The Usual Suspects: "_________" Kung Fu? Never heard of it, it is obviously fake and you are fake and you are dumb please leave

Scenario 2

New/regular poster: Hey guys, check out this vid of me doing this form/sparring/practicing it's a little rough but it shows what I'm working on

TUS: Your form is wrong, whoever taught it to you is wrong and should die / you spar like a 12 year old blind girl, you would die in a fight

New/Regular Poster: Well I don't see how the form is wrong i've seen tons of people doing it this way / I think I was sparring pretty good, the guy was also good

Scenario 3
New Poster/Regular Poster: Hey guys, look at this set and applications let's discuss

TUS: Kung Fu is useless in real life even though this is a kung fu forum and we also train kung fu but we know it's just for fun and getting to wear silky suits, we train in BJJ and boxing for our real fighting. Your life is a lie please leave.

That's why this forum is mostly dead. But hey, at least that hot chicks with swords thread still exists. Until you guys stop letting these detractors rule this place, you're never going to get back to meaningful kung fu/taiji/whatever discussion here.

Rover
12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
The problem is rudeness of some people.when you open make effort and open a topic or ask something they will tell you check old threads or tell you that doesn't make sense.
There is much to do if they stop it.

lkfmdc
12-20-2013, 09:09 AM
The problem is rudeness of some people.

that is most certainly not the problem, you're just a wanker, go screw yourself

sanjuro_ronin
12-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I personally have posted less for a few reasons.
1) Better things to do ( sacrilegious, I know).
2) Too much of the same old BS that I am just tired of arguing about.
3) Too much preaching to the choir at times.
4) frustration ( which goes back to #2 I guess).

I love this forum and have come to consider many of you not only as friends but also as teachers and I am forever grateful.
Truly.

Lucas
12-20-2013, 10:20 AM

I love this forum and have come to consider many of you not only as friends but also as teachers and I am forever grateful.
Truly.

+++++++++1

Syn7
12-20-2013, 10:29 AM
People generally don't do well with change. The new format probably confuses people. It's probably harder to read for many. People will get used to it, and old schoolers will come back after the holidays if they remember to check. I'm sure a few thought that it was just down for good. It was offline for awhile and I could be wrong, but there was no real notice or explanation before hand. At least I never saw one.

Personally, I like the new format. Some cool new features.

Syn7
12-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Scenario 3

It's funny cause it's true.;)

GeneChing
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
It was a lot to move. Our forum is obese. Plus we've overhauled all of KungFuMagazine.com, which we're also still sorting.

But when it's all done, we'll be good to go for several years.

You've notice that we haven't been crashing lately, right? That was a huge issue which we hope has been resolved.

Syn7
12-20-2013, 11:50 AM
How hard would it be to make the line between post and sig a lil more defined?

Also how bout making quotes back to normal script? The italicized quotes is kinda redundant considering the big speech bubble around it, and it makes quoting larger pieces more complicated when they have both normal and italicized words within.

Just suggestions. Either way, I like the overhaul. I didn't think you guys would do it after I said you should get with the new and you responded with "we play with swords man!". lol. The perfect come back, for sure. But I'm glad it's done. You guys should be good for another 30 years now, no? :p

GeneChing
12-20-2013, 12:16 PM
You guys should be good for another 30 years now, no? :p If only, Syn7. If only. :p

We do a major overhaul about every five years. They are getting bigger each time (and more expensive) because the site is getting so much bigger.

SPJ
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Me like the feature with video in a big way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YjRiR0Lh4

:cool:

Minghequan
12-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

This is exactly why the forum is suffering!

GeneChing
12-20-2013, 02:50 PM
In truth, we're still averaging 70+ viewers at any given moment during the day. And we still pop up on web searches whenever you're looking for almost anything Kung Fu and/or Tai Chi oriented. It's all good.

The one trend I've noticed since the update is that we seem to have more lurkers and less posters now. That's fine by me. It's the same amount of page views, which is really the bottom line on the wild wild web. And most of you don't have anything worthwhile to say anyway. :eek:

;)

@PLUGO
12-20-2013, 02:56 PM
. . . is it getting warmer in here?

lkfmdc
12-20-2013, 03:29 PM
. . . is it getting warmer in here?

it's you, you are sitting on the radiator

RenDaHai
12-20-2013, 03:43 PM
That's why this forum is mostly dead.... Until you guys stop letting these detractors rule this place, you're never going to get back to meaningful kung fu/taiji/whatever discussion here.

Yeah, thats pretty much summed it up.

YouKnowWho
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Orion Paximus;1258488]Actually, the issue with this forum is as follows:

Scenario 1
Scenario 2
Scenario 3
QUOTE]

Scenario 1: Unfriendly to the new comer.
Scenario 2: Trying to find bone in an egg.
Scenario 3: Lacking faith in TCMA.

People just like to argue no matter what.

- If you say, "It's good to have leg strength to be able to lift your opponent's body off the ground."
- People would say, "If done properly you don't need to apply much force to complete the throw."

- If you say, "If done properly you don't need to apply much force to complete the throw."
- People would say, "To against a big and strong opponent, you will need that extra strength."

No matter what you may say, for those people who will never agree with you, they will find a way to prove that you are wrong.

I can understand why people try to stay away from online discussion. When a 20 years old asks you, "How long have you trained MA?" If you don't answer that question, your are rude. If you do answer that question, you may feel that you are pushed around by a 20 years old.

Syn7
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I like to think of it as trial by fire.

GeneChing
12-20-2013, 05:22 PM
. . . is it getting warmer in here? my nachos are melty now. mmmm nachos.

I know you're tempted to turn the forum pink, DS, if only for an hour or two, just to mess with everyone.

Syn7
12-20-2013, 08:52 PM
And what, pray tell, do you know about refraction that can't be found "by simply researching scientific record"?

Minghequan
12-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't know Gene. In Oz the Chinese arts are not so well received or that popular. We are getting the MMA wave at the moment even though that is now attracting a great deal of bad press and several doctors speaking out against same.

I cannot really comment on the USA scene other than that witnessed here ... that being said ... What I'm seeing is not all that great. Very little real discussion, more clowns than a circus and the usual politics and rubbish that's been pedaled for years.

This would I would think, put off a lot of people who might like to contribute but fail to do so because of the above.

What's happened to the basic concept of Wude? Of simply agreeing to disagree without all the vitriol , the sniping, snide remarks?

Many talk of the heart, essence and spirit but few if any actually enact it.

YouKnowWho
12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Of simply agreeing to disagree without all the vitriol , ...
This happen in all forums. Let me just copy a short post from another forum (this post was not addressed to me but addressed to someone else). As far as I can remember, I have never used words such as "You are wrong" in any of my online discussion for the past 15 years. When someone responds with such post, it puts you in defense mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are wrong! I know you think you understand ..., but you don't.

Rover
12-20-2013, 10:39 PM

Not sure if you trolling or serious :D:D

Syn7
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
My e-mails to half a dozen university Professors last year heading up research projects dealing with photon manipulation have established my understanding that there is more than meets the eye. You are familiar with the "push" to produce at Bristol in England?

For quantum computing? Are you involved, or writing about it?

mickey
12-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Greetings,

The maroon borders are an improvement, as well as the increase in character size. And the darkened yellow border, too. I am down to 100 air conditioners.

Somebody has been listening!!!

mickey

Kellen Bassette
12-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I also think the maroon helped a lot...I may take my coat off and stay a while...

PalmStriker
12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
:) Does make for warm and cozy.

Scott R. Brown
12-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Scenario 1
Scenario 2
Scenario 3

Which is why I've found it more enjoyable, for the past 8 years or so, to joke around!

The place was closed so long people realised that real life is better than argueing on the internet with strangers :)

What strangers? Most strangers don't last long. Those who stay long enough are no longer strangers!:eek:

I've tried it. It isn't all its cracked up to be!:(

Truly.

You are welcome! It is true I have blessed many here with my presence!

And those who have not been blessed.......well......that's just their own fault!:p

You can't make a purse out of a pig's ear! (And NO!:mad: I did not steal that from the greatest martial artist of the modern age! How dare anyone accuse me of such a thing!:mad:)

In truth, we're still averaging 70+ viewers at any given moment during the day. And we still pop up on web searches whenever you're looking for almost anything Kung Fu and/or Tai Chi oriented. It's all good.

The one trend I've noticed since the update is that we seem to have more lurkers and less posters now. That's fine by me. It's the same amount of page views, which is really the bottom line on the wild wild web. And most of you don't have anything worthwhile to say anyway. :eek:

;)

Less posters = less supervision = more time for nachos!;)

Edit: And for entertaining Ninjettes!:cool:

Miqi
12-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Which is why I've found it more enjoyable, for the past 8 years or so, to joke around!

Humour is good. It's not easy to be a marital artist, and the humour between comrades on the path is a pretty excellent thing. But for you, and for others, like Bawang, although you raise a laugh now and then, it's not really the humour of comrades. Bawang summed it up when he/she said that he/she was just the microbes left after wushu had died: if all you have left is to jokej around, then it makes me wonder if that's because you don't feel that what you do is really of value. For me, the best jokes come from knowing that what I do, and what I pursue, is of significant value. (Not that I mind being made fun of - that's never a probem. I laugh at myself all the time - there's actually nothing funnier than trying to find out what's really what.)

Syn7
12-21-2013, 06:35 PM
:) Does make for warm and cozy.

Did you nix the post or is the forum glitchin? You gonna answer me?

Scott R. Brown
12-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Humour is good. It's not easy to be a marital artist, and the humour between comrades on the path is a pretty excellent thing. But for you, and for others, like Bawang, although you raise a laugh now and then, it's not really the humour of comrades. Bawang summed it up when he/she said that he/she was just the microbes left after wushu had died: if all you have left is to jokej around, then it makes me wonder if that's because you don't feel that what you do is really of value. For me, the best jokes come from knowing that what I do, and what I pursue, is of significant value. (Not that I mind being made fun of - that's never a probem. I laugh at myself all the time - there's actually nothing funnier than trying to find out what's really what.)

No, once the same discussions and arguments have been discussed for the 4th or 5th time it gets tedious. I've already had my serious says on most topics I'm interested in, and I've repeated my thoughts on them many times. Most of the long time members here have done the same. I have also trained and studied for so long, there is not much I long to know or learn.

This forum is simple entertainment for me most of the time now. When something interesting or new occurs I have been known to wax a bit serious, but when you agree with others who already say what you would have, why repeat what's already been said?

So, I joke around, with a hint of serious undertones at times for discerning minds.;)

Syn7
12-21-2013, 06:47 PM
No, once the same discussions and arguments have been discussed for the 4th or 5th time it gets tedious. I've already had my serious says on most topics I'm interested in, and I've repeated my thoughts on them many times. Most of the long time members here have done the same. I have also trained and studied for so long, there is not much I long to know or learn.

This forum is simple entertainment for me most of the time now. When something interesting or new occurs I have been known to wax a bit serious, but when you agree with others who already say what you would have, why repeat what's already been said?

So, I joke around, with a hint of serious undertones at times for discerning minds.;)

Yeah, it seems like whenever there is a lil new blood in here, the same old topics get rehashed and somebody gets all ****y then the trolls step in to finish the job. It's a lovely formula as far as regulating is concerned. But it must look super douchey from the outside looking in, lol. Either way, I like it how it is. If you want a serious discussion, you can have it. It just seems like the only people who do want to go there are the contrarians, the silk jammie crowd and john wang with his scenarios in C++.

Scott R. Brown
12-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, it seems like whenever there is a lil new blood in here, the same old topics get rehashed and somebody gets all ****y then the trolls step in to finish the job. It's a lovely formula as far as regulating is concerned. But it must look super douchey from the outside looking in, lol. Either way, I like it how it is. If you want a serious discussion, you can have it. It just seems like the only people who do want to go there are the contrarians, the silk jammie crowd and john wang with his scenarios in C++.

Sometimes "old-timers" forget what it was like to be a newbie and their patience wears thin. Issues that have been settled for them about MA and Kung Fu are new discoveries/realizations for others. Some decorum gets lost as a consequence. I see, understand and accept both perspectives for what they are.

It won't change, it just is what it is!

wenshu
12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
"wu de"

translation: Protecting the delicate internet decorum sensibilities of shrill, feeble, man sized vaginas.

If your kung fu ego is so precious that it can't handle a little trolling now and then maybe your weak ass should do kung fu a favor and ****ing give it up.

Minghequan
12-21-2013, 11:11 PM
"wu de"

translation: Protecting the delicate internet decorum sensibilities of shrill, feeble, man sized vaginas.

If your kung fu ego is so precious that it can't handle a little trolling now and then maybe your weak ass should do kung fu a favor and ****ing give it up.

Lol! I guess that's one way of looking at it but I don't think it's the right way nor true to the concept of same within Gongfu ... just sayin!

MightyB
12-22-2013, 03:35 PM

ditto.

Syn7
12-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I have successfully created and field tested prototype locking pattern (offset) refractive index to stop a high-intensity beam of light/laser (extinction) in a 1/4 inch depth clear crystal configuration with photon trap concentration (pyramid cone shape). The equivalent of a martial artist being able to stop any kick, punch or strike of any sort while absorbing all of opponents energy. *What most people would consider impossible. :) Conversation may resume here: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/79960-refraction-in-terms-of-photons/

got any paperwork you can show me?

Syn7
12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
PM me a link/whatever to your work, or do it there. Either way.

Miqi
12-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Conversation may resume here means: Join The Science Forum and pick up from last post where science forum community left off with snooze alarm on re-set override. Was not meant for extended subject matter discussion on this thread about KFM forum chaos theory. Response time over there has nothing to do with the speed of light. :D The only thing fast over there is how quickly the active members have clicked on my profile page, looking for clues as to where I'm coming from. :) Which just goes to show how in demand this forum is, who wasn't checking to see when it was back online? (Would like to see you guys ship out to "the other" Kung Fu Forum (the site that shall not be named) and see how fast you beat virtual feet on your return, heh, heh.

Hmm... Obviously I can't be 100% certain, but I'm getting a very strong refractive electro-dissipated micro-vibe that you haven't got any peer reviewed journal articles out explaining your groundbreaking work, and that those closed-minded science guys who ignore your genius actually do so because your work is not real science. Just a hypothesis, mind you.

GeneChing
12-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't know Gene. In Oz the Chinese arts are not so well received or that popular. We are getting the MMA wave at the moment even though that is now attracting a great deal of bad press and several doctors speaking out against same.

I cannot really comment on the USA scene other than that witnessed here ... that being said ... What I'm seeing is not all that great. Very little real discussion, more clowns than a circus and the usual politics and rubbish that's been pedaled for years.

This would I would think, put off a lot of people who might like to contribute but fail to do so because of the above.

What's happened to the basic concept of Wude? Of simply agreeing to disagree without all the vitriol , the sniping, snide remarks?

Many talk of the heart, essence and spirit but few if any actually enact it. I was actually discussing the forum as that was the topic of this thread, not general trends in MA. I try to stay on topic here, but it's truly a challenge. ;)

But as for wude, it's easy to lecture others about it, but hard to life it. Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.

David Jamieson
12-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I was actually discussing the forum as that was the topic of this thread, not general trends in MA. I try to stay on topic here, but it's truly a challenge. ;)

But as for wude, it's easy to lecture others about it, but hard to life it. Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.

Wude has been thrown through the wringer hasn't it?

I never took it to mean that it was a lesson in manners, it's not.

It doesn't say anywhere in the martial ethic that you have to put up with someones opinion and that you can't call them on it and ask for proof of the workings of their claim.

It says, don't kill those who don't deserve it, don't rape, don't abuse kids, don't rob people because you're stronger than them and so on.
It's the same martial ethic that tells us to not indiscriminately use an a bomb on Switzerland because our watch isn't working.

Too live it isn't difficult at all. And it never meant give face to someone you know is talking crap. call them on it.
Mind you, if your belligerence can't cut the mustard after you attempt to smear someone else? Prepare for your beating. lol

I think this whole thing about turning wude into being about suffering fools and being a bootlick to a marginally skilled person is a weird aspect of the egotism and banged in individualism of the west.

wenshu
12-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Anyone can say that they exemplify wude (and by comparison, others do not) but that doesn't count. It only counts when other say you have it.

Was that an intentional contradiction? It only counts when others observe it (or the lack thereof) but not when you observe it in others?

I reject Neo Confucianism and base my Wu De on Legalism.

In any case people seem to confuse Confucianism with protecting delicate wing chun internet sensibilities.

GeneChing
12-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Actually, I started off posting something about how you shouldn't preach about wude and then went on to preach about it, but it got to cumbersome and the humor was lost. As I was rethinking it (and mind you, it's not like I spend very much time composing posts - it's free content after all) I was summoned to the office Xmas party, so I just posted what I had in a somewhat half-assed manner. It delights me that some of the original intended irony came through. :D

wenshu
12-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Actually, I started off posting something about how you shouldn't preach about wude and then went on to preach about it, but it got to cumbersome and the humor was lost. As I was rethinking it (and mind you, it's not like I spend very much time composing posts - it's free content after all) I was summoned to the office Xmas party, so I just posted what I had in a somewhat half-assed manner. It delights me that some of the original intended irony came through. :D

http://www.abload.de/img/nice_recoveryflu9k.gif

YouKnowWho
12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
you shouldn't preach about wude ...

How much Wude do you have when "fist meets face"? It's very easy to remember the 10 commandments,

1. don't ...
2. don't ...
3. don't ...
4. don't ...
5. don't ...
6. don't ...
7. don't ...
8. don't ...
9. don't ...
10. don't ...

It's the same for the Wude.

1. Don't lie to your teacher.
2. Don't dis-respect your ancentor.
3. Don't cause trouble among Kung Fu brothers.
4. Don't pretend that you are in high generation when you actually belong to lower generation.
5. ...

Syn7
12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Why not just keep it simple? Don't lie, cheat, steal or otherwise cause any harm to anyone when it's not called for? Those last four words are the rub though. No matter what code you come across, if it leaves any latitude for interpretation(and they all do) it can and will be twisted to suit the user. Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it's not. Kinda makes the whole endeavour a lil pointless doncha think?

YouKnowWho
12-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Why not just keep it simple? Don't lie, cheat, steal or otherwise cause any harm to anyone when it's not called for? Those last four words are the rub though. No matter what code you come across, if it leaves any latitude for interpretation(and they all do) it can and will be twisted to suit the user. Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it's not. Kinda makes the whole endeavour a lil pointless doncha think?
A friend of mine got himself into big trouble for this.

4. Don't pretend that you are in higher generation when you actually belong to lower generation.

He was my longfist teacher's student. My teacher's teacher GM Han Chin-Tang always like to have 10 students per year for his class. One year he was one student short. My long fist teacher brought him to GM Han and he soon became GM Han's student.

Here is the problem. My friend was my longfist teacher's student, but now he is my longfist teacher's teacher's student. Should he call my longfist teacher as "teacher", or should he call my longfist teacher as "brother"?

If He called my longfist teacher as

- teacher, he had put down GM Han.
- brother, he had put down my longfist teacher.

This may not sound like a problem for non-Chinese. But for Chinese, this can be a serious issue.

Syn7
12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

4. Don't pretend that you are in higher generation when you actually belong to lower generation.

He was my longfist teacher's student. My teacher's teacher GM Han Chin-Tang always like to have 10 students per year for his class. One year he was one student short. My long fist teacher brought him to GM Han and he soon became GM Han's student.

Here is the problem. My friend was my longfist teacher's student, but now he is my longfist teacher's teacher's student. Should he call my longfist teacher as "teacher", or should he call my longfist teacher as "brother"?

This may not sound like a problem for non-Chinese. But for Chinese, this can be a serious issue.

Shouldn't the teacher show due respect to his teacher and let it pass? Did GM know it was his students student? Did either student or teachers converse on the subject before hand? Seems like a bunch a dudes stepping on their own dicks to me. It could have been handled more appropriately if permission was not sought, no?

So what was the solution?

YouKnowWho
12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Shouldn't the teacher show due respect to his teacher and let it pass? Did GM know it was his students student? Did either student or teachers converse on the subject before hand? Seems like a bunch a dudes stepping on their own dicks to me. It could have been handled more appropriately if permission was not sought, no?

So what was the solution?

There will be a longfist brothers meeting in 1/24/2014 Houston tournament. This issue will be surfaced again. I don't know any solution on this. IMO, there is a difference between student and disciple. In high school, if you join in Kung Fu class, you are just a student. Compare to going through a seriouse disciple ceremony, there is a big difference there.

wenshu
12-23-2013, 09:16 PM

That's mianzi not wu de.

Maybe that's what happened to this forum.

People make noble proclamations about wu de when really they're just being petty little *****es because internet won't give face.

SPJ
12-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Yes. Very much so.

For me, the hiarechey is important for social function only.

It says nothing about your learning or your skills per se.

YouKnowWho
12-23-2013, 09:33 PM
internet won't give face.

This is very true. What do you expect when you try to talk to some stranger online? What's your purpose any way? The reason may be just because you are bored and have nothing better to do.

When you open your window, butterfly may fly in but bugs may fly in too. You truly don't have choice.

Syn7
12-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Ok, well I'll wait till you make your thread in off topic, but I have questions. So after xmas, yes?

Syn7
12-23-2013, 11:59 PM
There will be a longfist brothers meeting in 1/24/2014 Houston tournament. This issue will be surfaced again. I don't know any solution on this. IMO, there is a difference between student and disciple. In high school, if you join in Kung Fu class, you are just a student. Compare to going through a seriouse disciple ceremony, there is a big difference there.

I find the politics of this fascinating. Honestly, I guess I'm not attached to a lineage to that extent. I get it though. I've never really been into "politically correct" so much... I'm more concern with just "correct". Know what I mean?

I agree, taking classes that you pay for doesn't bind you to some loyalty pact. Being a disciple and having made commitments, however, is another matter. Your word is your word. If you enter such agreements, you should always follow through as best you can.

wenshu
12-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I have successfully created and field tested prototype locking pattern (offset) refractive index to stop a high-intensity beam of light/laser (extinction) in a 1/4 inch depth clear crystal configuration with photon trap concentration (pyramid cone shape). The equivalent of a martial artist being able to stop any kick, punch or strike of any sort while absorbing all of opponents energy. *What most people would consider impossible. :) Conversation may resume here: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/79960-refraction-in-terms-of-photons/

But can you teach John Wang how to embed a photo in a forum post?

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 12:28 AM
But can you teach John Wang how to embed a photo in a forum post?

But I don't mean to put a line that you have to click it to open but a physical picture as shown in another forum. So far I have not seen any pictures "physically" appear in this forum yet. Is it a bad design? I start to wonder about that.

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20563&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=d3b2e34f4862e2c93f78798ecf0edc12&start=120

Syn7
12-24-2013, 12:44 AM
But I don't mean to put a line that you have to click it to open but a physical picture as shown in another forum. So far I have not seen any pictures "physically" appear in this forum yet. Is it a bad design? I start to wonder about that.

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20563&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=d3b2e34f4862e2c93f78798ecf0edc12&start=120

You don't see that?

wenshu
12-24-2013, 12:51 AM

This is the first post on this forum that has ever caused me to experience actual physical anger.

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 01:09 AM
You don't see that?

Of course I can see the pictures but I have to click it.

To let text to flow around a picture was available 30 years ago. You would think that this kind of editing function should be available in all online forums today.

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/3311/k1w4.jpg

Minghequan
12-24-2013, 01:10 AM
My apologies Gene & others,

Perhaps "Wude" is the wrong word here.

Maybe Mianzi is it?

What I am trying to say I guess is that if we acted simply respectful towards others and agreed to disagree now and then without the name-calling, politics and agendas then the whole forum would be a much nicer place, perhaps have more poster or more quality posters and discussions and be more representative of the Chinese Martial Arts?

You know if this forum was run with the same decorum of the Magazine it gets its name from then I think it would be far more successful with more quality level discussions!

Maybe a special section is needed for those who are only here to goof off, or drag others down to their level?

All I'd like to see is the incessant rubbish stop.

Pete
12-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Of course I can see the pictures but I have to click it.

To let text to flow around a picture was available 30 years ago. You would think that this kind of editing function should be available in all online forums today.

why
can't http://imageshack.us/a/img819/3311/k1w4.jpg you
figure this out?:eek:

are you high? or are you using a command line browser :p

maybe post a screenshot of what you see, just embed it in your next post

RenDaHai
12-24-2013, 04:05 AM
It doesn't say anywhere in the martial ethic that you have to put up with someones opinion and that you can't call them on it and ask for proof of the workings of their claim.

I get your point, but actually I think we more often have the opposite problem. Just as often now I see it is the people wanting proof who are the fools. Because they ask for completely inappropriate proof. People have predefined ideas on what things are.

For example some people have the fixed idea that Gong Fu is the Chinese name for Martial Arts. Then they have predefined 'Martial Arts' in their head as 'the art of fighting to the death in a pit with no rules'. So when asking for proof of your Gong Fu they are asking for proof of you using gong fu to fight to the death in a pit with no rules. This is not appropriate. I do not train towards this ideal. So I can not offer any proof. But just because I cannot satisfy this one view of Gong Fu does that mean I have none?

This is a problem throughout ALL disciplines these days. People have very fixed ideas of what things 'should' be and actually want proof to satisfy THEIR OWN predefined view, not ACTUAL proof. This is in fact to me far MORE annoying than simply letting people talk crap.

David Jamieson
12-24-2013, 07:14 AM
I get your point, but actually I think we more often have the opposite problem. Just as often now I see it is the people wanting proof who are the fools. Because they ask for completely inappropriate proof. People have predefined ideas on what things are.

For example some people have the fixed idea that Gong Fu is the Chinese name for Martial Arts. Then they have predefined 'Martial Arts' in their head as 'the art of fighting to the death in a pit with no rules'. So when asking for proof of your Gong Fu they are asking for proof of you using gong fu to fight to the death in a pit with no rules. This is not appropriate. I do not train towards this ideal. So I can not offer any proof. But just because I cannot satisfy this one view of Gong Fu does that mean I have none?

This is a problem throughout ALL disciplines these days. People have very fixed ideas of what things 'should' be and actually want proof to satisfy THEIR OWN predefined view, not ACTUAL proof. This is in fact to me far MORE annoying than simply letting people talk crap.

hmmn death pit fights eh? :)
How about a little Chin Na demonstration.
That often can show a lot in a little amount of time.
Ask them to grab you, hold you in whatever way they like (barring sleepers or choke holds) then use chin na to release yourself.
This can impress folk believe it or not. Immovable stance is equally as interesting although it only works if you've been training it for a decade.
There are plenty of physics truths found in Kung Fu that can be shown without any death pit fights. I agree though, savage arse holes are in no shortage. :D

wenshu
12-24-2013, 08:09 AM
My apologies Gene & others,

Perhaps "Wude" is the wrong word here.

Maybe Mianzi is it?

What I am trying to say I guess is that if we acted simply respectful towards others and agreed to disagree now and then without the name-calling, politics and agendas then the whole forum would be a much nicer place, perhaps have more poster or more quality posters and discussions and be more representative of the Chinese Martial Arts?

You know if this forum was run with the same decorum of the Magazine it gets its name from then I think it would be far more successful with more quality level discussions!

Maybe a special section is needed for those who are only here to goof off, or drag others down to their level?

All I'd like to see is the incessant rubbish stop.

Don't worry bro. You practice made up kung fu, might as well practice made up wu de. Can't really see what further harm it would be at this point.

wenshu
12-24-2013, 08:10 AM
People have very fixed ideas of what things 'should' be and actually want proof to satisfy THEIR OWN predefined view, not ACTUAL proof.

Are you describing people who believe all manner of fantasy and delusion that confirms their own milquetoast chop socky bias? Because thats what it looks like you're describing.

SPJ
12-24-2013, 09:19 AM
It takes me a while to get used to the new features on the updated forum.

I like the new feature of video insertion especially.

The color scheme is fine with me.

At the age of everyone having a smartphone and texting.

E mails become conversations, too.

Speech bubble is everywhere.

Facetime, skype, google+/hangout, on and on.

RenDaHai
12-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Are you describing people who believe all manner of fantasy and delusion that confirms their own milquetoast chop socky bias? Because thats what it looks like you're describing.

Really I am describing ALL of us, including myself. There is no agreed on absolute measure with Gong Fu, so we all measure it on different scales. This is fine for ourselves, but it becomes ridiculous when we try to compare with each other. Which is why threads which devolve into direct comparisons bore me and I think turn a lot of people off.

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 10:22 AM
are you high? or are you using a command line browser :p

maybe post a screenshot of what you see, just embed it in your next post
Can anyboy be able to see any pictures in the following screenshot? I can't see any pictures. May be I'm the only one has this problem. Thanks for you guy's help any way.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67082-Post-picture
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67069-What-has-happened-to-this-forum/page5

Syn7
12-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Can anyboy be able to see any pictures in the following screenshot? I can't see any pictures. May be I'm the only one has this problem.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67069-What-has-happened-to-this-forum/page5

No I see no pictures. I see no screen shot. I see a url to kfm. Try uploading a pic directly from your pc, rather than using a link. See how that works out for you. You are using the "insert image" icon, yes? Or are you just manually typing it in?

The pics I posted before, I uploaded those. I'll try a link. You see this pic:

It doesn't use url/url or img/img, it uses an attach function.

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 10:37 AM
No I see no pictures. I see no screen shot. I see a url to kfm. Try uploading a pic directly from your pc, rather than using a link. See how that works out for you. You are using the "insert image" icon, yes? Or are you just manually typing it in?

The pics I posted before, I uploaded those. I'll try a link. You see this pic:

It doesn't use url/url or img/img, it uses an attach function.

I don't see your picture on my screem either. I just see a string of red characters

black-hole.jpg

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67069-What-has-happened-to-this-forum&p=1258726&posted=1#post1258726

SPJ
12-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Maybe your browser needing plug in to view picture.

Or your antiviral program or blocking image with firewall from your antiviral software.

:confused:

Syn7
12-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't see your picture on my screem either. I just see a string of red characters

black-hole.jpg

Weird. I'm using chrome. seems to be fine for me. Did you try to upload directly? Sorry I can't help more, not my wheelhouse. Sometimes ABP messes things up a bit.

Syn7
12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
This is what your posts look like.

Can anyboy be able to see any pictures in the following screenshot? I can't see any pictures. May be I'm the only one has this problem. Thanks for you guy's help any way.

[url ]http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67082-Post-picture [ /url]
[url ]http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67069-What-has-happened-to-this-forum/page5 [ /url]

I added the spaces in the url function so you can see what it's using. Good luck with that.

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Maybe your browser needing plug in to view picture.

Or your antiviral program or blocking image with firewall from your antiviral software.

:confused:

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Weird. I'm using chrome. seems to be fine for me. Did you try to upload directly? Sorry I can't help more, not my wheelhouse. Sometimes ABP messes things up a bit.
Thanks! I'll look into chrome.

This is what your posts look like.

I added the spaces in the url function so you can see what it's using. Good luck with that.
Thanks! I have tried that. Still no luck.

This is the first post on this forum that has ever caused me to experience actual physical anger.
Now I can understand your frustration. You can see pictures on your screen but all I can see is just a line of characters.

PalmStriker
12-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Cool picture :D http://chinesemartialstudies.com/2013/12/23/are-the-traditional-chinese-martial-arts-dying-kung-fu-tea-talks-with-the-last-masters/

Pete
12-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks! I'll look into chrome.

what are you using now? seems strange other forums would work and not this one :confused: also doubt an anti virus would do something like that :o

this is what i'm imagining you seeing:

:p

p.s i'm also on chrome

YouKnowWho
12-24-2013, 03:10 PM
what are you using now? seems strange other forums would work and not this one :confused: also doubt an anti virus would do something like that :o

this is what i'm imagining you seeing:

:p

p.s i'm also on chrome
I see lolll.png in red.

I just install the chrome. Still the same. Nothing has changed. I'll check something else. In the past 15 years, I have never seen a single picture appeared in this forum. I have always assumed that this forum may have some basic design problem.

I have no problem to see pictures in this forum. It's just as simple as ...

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20563&p=345218&sid=3f0356e6d0afe6a35c5093f10853dfea#p345218

I just tried on another laptop and I can see pictures there. So it must be just my computer and nothing to do with this forum. Thanks for you guys who tries to help me.

Minghequan
12-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Wenshu ... All Kungfu is "made-up"

Dale Dugas
12-26-2013, 07:27 PM
to all the posers and mouthboxers here and everywhere else.

YouKnowWho
12-26-2013, 09:37 PM
In another forum, the subject "lean or not lean" could generate almost 30 pages of discussion within just 4 weeks. The nice thing about it is the following words have not appeared in those 30 pages:

- You are wrong.
- This is BS.
- You don't know what your are talking about.
- Opinion is like ..., everybody has one.
- You can do anything you want and I can't care less.
- You should ask your coach about this.

SPJ
12-27-2013, 09:40 AM
In another forum, the subject "lean or not lean" could generate almost 30 pages of discussion within just 4 weeks.

Reminding of me and my college mates arguing about tai chi and ba gua in early 1980s.

Lean or pian or yi.

Tai chi is about bu pian and bu yi. No siding and no leaning.

The truth is that you do go to one side then the other. You do lean one way or the other.

However, how do you keep your balance in transition from one side to the other.

That is tai chi all about.

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Reminding of me and my college mates arguing about tai chi and ba gua in early 1980s.

Lean or pian or yi.

Tai chi is about bu pian and bu yi. No siding and no leaning.

The truth is that you do go to one side then the other. You do lean one way or the other.

However, how do you keep your balance in transition from one side to the other.

That is tai chi all about.

In another forum, The "lean or not lean" can go for 30 pages. In our forum, the "clinch work" dies at page 3. :(

What has happened to this forum?

GeneChing
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
You all comprise the forum. You can say "oh so-and-so is ruining it" about anything. But the forum is all the members here, most of all, all of you. If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid. :rolleyes:

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2013, 01:21 PM
You all comprise the forum. You can say "oh so-and-so is ruining it" about anything. But the forum is all the members here, most of all, all of you. If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid. :rolleyes:

Your like the Ghandi of jaded Gong Fu people...

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 01:54 PM
If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid. :rolleyes:

We may need to understand why thread such as "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" can reach to 1274 pages, but thread such as "clinch work" can only last for 3 pages? I truly don't know the reason here.

May be we need to start more threads similar to "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" What may be those threads?

SPJ
12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
We may need to understand why thread such as "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" can reach to 1274 pages, but thread such as "clinch work" can only last for 3 pages? I truly don't know the reason here.

We all know shao lin do is made up after WWII.

It has nothing to do with 1500 yr old shao lin temple.

;)

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2013, 02:04 PM

May be we need to start more threads similar to "Is Shaolin-Do for real?" What may be those threads?

Because there's about 4 people on this forum that do clinch work....a whole lot more who have vested interest in lineage battles...:cool:

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 02:05 PM
We all know shao lin do is made up after WWII.

It has nothing to do with 1500 yr old shao lin temple.

;)

My question is "Why should I care about such discussion?" If Shaolin Do is real, it won't improve my combat ability. If Shaolin Do is fake, it still won't decrease my combat ability. On the other hands, if I lean, I can dodge a head punch. If I don't lean, I may get knocked out. Subject such as "lean or no lean" has to do with my combat ability.

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
My question is "Why should I care about such discussion?" If Shaolin Do is real, it won't improve my combat ability. If Shaolin Do is fake, it still won't decrease my combat ability.

Because if it is real, by default SDers are the realz dealz, if it's fake than they are fake.

Combat skill has nothing to do with putting the work in, training smart and developing your techniques. It's all about how good the ancestors were.

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Because there's about 4 people on this forum that do clinch work....a whole lot more who have vested interest in lineage battles...:cool:
You are right. It's not a subject that most members here care much about it. May be we should try "roundhouse kick" that everybody care more about it instead.

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Because if it is real, by default SDers are the realz dealz, if it's fake than they are fake.

Combat skill has nothing to do with putting the work in, training smart and developing your techniques. It's all about how good the ancestors were.

Do we all come to this forum, trying to collect as much as information as possible from others, so we can improve our combat ability? When someone said, "If you move this way, you will take certain risk ..." That simple comment can help me a lot if I didn't consider that risk before.

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Do we all come to this forum, trying to collect as much as information as possible from others, so we can improve our combat ability? When someone said, "If you move this way, you will take risk ..." That simple comment can help me a lot.

I came to talk about Gong Fu, I stayed for the Bawang...

YouKnowWho
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
I came to talk about Gong Fu,

Me too. When some Karate guy throws out words such as ke chos, hyung, bunhae kiso, dae run, etc. I truly have no idea what he was talking about. At least in this forum, we all use similar language even if it takes me a while to understand that "plum is not a fruit".

GeneChing
12-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Your like the Ghandi of jaded Gong Fu people...

As for the success of the IS-DfR thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?32782-Is-Shaolin-Do-for-real), there are several reasons for its success. Firstly, that is a consolidation of several threads over the years. A long time ago, the Shaolin Forum decided to corral all the SD threads into one place to keep things tidy. The SD people were content to have their own space here on the forum and apart from the occasional troll harassment, go merrily along keeping that thread near the top of that forum. Second, SD is a large franchise, one of the biggest. If you google search 'Shaolin-Do', you'll find the IS-DfR sitting at the top of your search results (it's #4 at this reckoning). That's a lot of eyeballs. Thirdly, it has gained a reputation here as *the* monster thread. I'm not commenting further on that.

To cut to the chase, whining that your thread isn't popular is like whining about Sarah Palin not winning the last election. The forum is democratic. Only a few of the moderators will make threads sticky. Sticky threads are a practice that I personal eschew because I believe in democracy, but allow our mods the freedom to manage their respective sub-forums as they see fit. If a discussion fails to ensue from some post you made, you really can't blame the forum. You made the post. Maybe your posts just aren't that interesting.

SPJ
12-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Me too.

1 Twitter bunch is a chao.

I gave up on search and read kungfu tweets long ago.

2 Facebook is like closed communities with permissions to join.

3 This forum is ideal for me to interact and read. Many other forums came and gone. such as cyber kwoon.

This forum is just right for me to search and read kung fu related stuff.

YouKnowWho
12-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Maybe your posts just aren't that interesting.

It has nothing to do with whether the subject is interesting or not. Even the most interesting subject, if everybody all agree with it, there won't be much to say after 1 or 2 pages. If we start a thread such as, "Is it right or wrong that Japan invaded China during WWII?" As long as we have one Chinese and one Japanese in this forum, The discussion can go beyond 2000 pages even if 99% of the American members may not have any interest in it. To have strong opposite opinions and willing to fight for it is the requirement for any thread to continue and last.

Minghequan
12-29-2013, 12:36 AM
If you all want the forum to improve, be the improvement you desire. Don't be afraid.

That's it!

Jimbo
12-29-2013, 08:40 AM
It has nothing to do with whether the subject is interesting or not. Even the most interesting subject, if everybody all agree with it, there won't be much to say after 1 or 2 pages. If we start a thread such as, "Is it right or wrong that Japan invaded China during WWII?" As long as we have one Chinese and one Japanese in this forum, The discussion can go beyond 2000 pages even if 99% of the American members may not have any interest in it. To have strong opposite opinions and willing to fight for it is the requirement for any thread to continue and last.

YKW:

Starting any thread is like going fishing. Maybe you'll catch a lot; maybe a little; and maybe you'll get "skunked" and not catch anything. Maybe if you start one after the holidays, more people might drift back and participate.

I know you were just throwing an example out, but I seriously doubt that a thread on Japan/China in WWII would go overly long. And unless the Japanese member were ultra-right-wing, I highly doubt he/she would debate that it was right. I'm Japanese (-American), and would find no interest in such a thread. Anyway, how would you know who is what? In my experience on other forums, MA or otherwise, most of those with Japanese or Japanese-sounding screen names are usually white guys.

It is true that threads that generate the most heated arguments tend to become the biggest. IMO, debate is invaluable, but arguing, at least beyond a certain point, is a waste. Then it becomes a matter of quality vs. quantity.

SPJ
12-29-2013, 08:53 AM

If you take side feverishly, the debate would catch fire.

iPhone 5s or Nexus 5

iPad air or galaxy note 8

then there is the microsoft surface (win RT).

Watching the microsoft commercial is fun enough.

There are always more lurkers or readers then posters in any forum.

YouKnowWho
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I have just started a "Lean or not lean" thread. Let's see how far we can make that thread going.

SPJ
12-30-2013, 08:55 AM
I have just started a "Lean or not lean" thread. Let's see how far we can make that thread going.

1. If you WANT to throw the opponent, you lean toward his moving direction and weight.

Lean away.

2. If you WANT to neutralize the opponent's power and move,

you do not lean, you remain neutral to deflect or guide his power.

Stay away for the most part and add a little power to the same direction.

Do not lean.

There.

:)

GeneChing
12-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Interesting that this thread has 113 posts and 8 pages.....:rolleyes: I know, right? Such is the nature of our forum. It's more fun to complain than to have constructive discussions. But that's okay. I like to complain too. ;)

lkfmdc
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
YKW's "lean or don't lean' thread is moving along... I still hate the color scheme here though

SPJ
12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
The yellow color theme always reminded me of "post it" or "google keep".

Draw attention that is.

;)

GeneChing
12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Nacho cheese.

******, we just crashed for a while. The new forum was supposed to remedy that. We'll have to ask IT what's up with that. Next year, though...;)

lkfmdc
12-31-2013, 03:14 PM
yes, it crashed, so much for the new forum :rolleyes:

maybe it doesn't like the faux nacho color

GeneChing
12-31-2013, 03:42 PM
What's the realz nacho color exactly?

Raipizo
12-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Guys I know why the server is having problems. The server is run on liquid nacho cheese and the coldness of the server solidified the nacho cheese thus jamming it up with hardened cheese and depleting the energy source needed to keep he server running. I have you found out Gene you sly snake in the grass.

SPJ
01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Nice to know many old timers are still posting in the renewed forum.

Wow. I have been posting for the last 10 years.

From windows xp to windows 8.1 and iOS 7, android 4.4.

Great.

Lee Chiang Po
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't come here as often as I used to. I spent about 5 and a half months trying to die in the VA Hospital. Just now trying to get it back together. The first thing I seen was a repeat of an old thread that had played out several times already. The most notable thing is that I see just a small hand full of the same names that are always ready to inject their opinions into everything. for a forum with so many members only a tiny hand full take part. Most of these are the ones that can speak of just about every fighting system ever though up. Google I think should be thanked for that. As long as these conditions continue, It will always be like this. People with real experience and ideas are afraid to join in because of this small band of bullies, who seem to spend most of their free time here or on a bunch of other forums doing the same things there.

Minghequan
01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
The most notable thing is that I see just a small hand full of the same names that are always ready to inject their opinions into everything. for a forum with so many members only a tiny hand full take part. Most of these are the ones that can speak of just about every fighting system ever though up. Google I think should be thanked for that. As long as these conditions continue, It will always be like this. People with real experience and ideas are afraid to join in because of this small band of bullies, who seem to spend most of their free time here or on a bunch of other forums doing the same things there.

Well written! Thank you ................

David Jamieson
01-08-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't come here as often as I used to. I spent about 5 and a half months trying to die in the VA Hospital. Just now trying to get it back together. The first thing I seen was a repeat of an old thread that had played out several times already. The most notable thing is that I see just a small hand full of the same names that are always ready to inject their opinions into everything. for a forum with so many members only a tiny hand full take part. Most of these are the ones that can speak of just about every fighting system ever though up. Google I think should be thanked for that. As long as these conditions continue, It will always be like this. People with real experience and ideas are afraid to join in because of this small band of bullies, who seem to spend most of their free time here or on a bunch of other forums doing the same things there.

Bullies? Really?
Why would someone with experience be afraid? What is there to be afraid of? If new data is presented, it behooves anyone to review what they hold onto and consider it's validity. Discussion isn't about making a statement and having everyone nod in agreement. I find that some of the greatest lessons in life will come out of realization and realization is generally along the lines of "I was wrong!" and almost never "I was right".

Discuss instead of bicker. If someone gives you a piece of shyte, hand it back to them. Nothing wrong with arguing and always good to keep in mind that when speaking of intangibles that one can only claim personal experience an belief and not verified truth. Two very different things. The very best leaders spend a lot of time learning to follow.

Scott R. Brown
01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

I, for one, have always appreciated your contributions!

Many MAist just tend to have more aggressive personalities than perhaps non-MAists.

Bullies? Really?
Why would someone with experience be afraid? What is there to be afraid of? If new data is presented, it behooves anyone to review what they hold onto and consider it's validity. Discussion isn't about making a statement and having everyone nod in agreement. I find that some of the greatest lessons in life will come out of realization and realization is generally along the lines of "I was wrong!" and almost never "I was right".

Discuss instead of bicker. If someone gives you a piece of shyte, hand it back to them. Nothing wrong with arguing and always good to keep in mind that when speaking of intangibles that one can only claim personal experience an belief and not verified truth. Two very different things. The very best leaders spend a lot of time learning to follow.

You BULLY!!!!!!:p

Do you treat your Canadadian veterans as poorly as you treat our GREAT American veterans. Didn't you just read that he was ill for over 5 month?!:mad:

Try being a bit more gracious or us imperialist Americaneians may just have to invade Canadiland and teach you some manners from the end of a cranes beak or snakes fangs!!:p;)

GoldenBrain
01-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Try being a bit more gracious or us imperialist Americaneians may just have to invade Canadiland and teach you some manners from the end of a cranes beak or snakes fangs!!

Ohhhhh, can I bring my numb-chucks and ninja stars…PLEASE??? Wait, I think I also have a taoist charm or two lying around. Yeah, that should do it. Now where did I leave those tabby boots…bwaaahahahahahahaha! ;):D:p

Scott R. Brown
01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Ohhhhh, can I bring my numb-chucks and ninja stars…PLEASE??? Wait, I think I also have a taoist charm or two lying around. Yeah, that should do it. Now where did I leave those tabby boots…bwaaahahahahahahaha! ;):D:p

Only if you make that cat-like OOOOOOooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwah, you are famous for, right before you strike a pose!

And move your hands in that weird slow motion where it like makes trails as your hands move in circles!!!

That is really cool!:cool:

I think we could defeat anyone. We would be like, invisible, or something like that.

Raipizo
01-08-2014, 01:24 PM

Obviously ninjas do Kung fu. You are messing with the validity of history how dare you :p

GoldenBrain
01-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Only if you make that cat-like OOOOOOooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwah, you are famous for, right before you strike a pose!

And move your hands in that weird slow motion where it like makes trails as your hands move in circles!!!

I think we could defeat anyone. We would be like, invisible, or something like that.

Well, a cat-like OOOOOOooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwah is my trademark, so you know I'll bring that kind of power to the fight. :cool:

It saddens me to report that I haven't mastered the slow motion acid hands technique yet, so we might not be able to achieve invisibility.:o I think it's time for me to visit the great kung fu master living in a cave high up on mount LARP. When I return in two weeks I shall be completely invincible and then we can start our war campaign.

In the meantime, while we wait for me to become invincible, we could get our white belt minions to air drop a few dozen pallets of Molson on our enemy which should serve as an adequate distraction.:D

GoldenBrain
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Obviously ninjas do Kung fu. You are messing with the validity of history how dare you :p

Shhhhhh! Disinformation was our most powerful weapon. Now you went and did it.:mad: Lets just hope the enemy gets too drunk on the air dropped Molsons to read this post.:D;)

Raipizo
01-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Shhhhhh! Disinformation was our most powerful weapon. Now you went and did it.:mad: Lets just hope the enemy gets too drunk on the air dropped Molsons to read this post.:D;)

Should have dropped some sake bombs, see what I did there?

GoldenBrain
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Should have dropped some sake bombs, see what I did there?

Hahaha! I had to look up what a sake bomb was. :o

GeneChing
01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Obviously. (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=849)

Hahaha! I had to look up what a sake bomb was. :o
Obviously your ninja-fu is lacking.

GoldenBrain
01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Obviously your ninja-fu is lacking.

I plead tighty whity. :p

MightyB
01-09-2014, 02:37 PM
I plead tighty whity. :p

David Jamieson
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Seriously dude, you have got to stop skipping legs day.

wenshu
01-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Seriously dude, you have got to stop skipping legs day.

I treat my legs like I treat my girlfriends.

Ignore them until they disappear.

#broscience (http://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife)

Syn7
01-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Judging from the *****ing and whining during this cold snap, yall would go out like the french and germans did in russia. I just can't see some southern good ol boy having the fortitude to take out winnipeg. Especially since even people from winnipeg hate winnipeg!

GoldenBrain
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Judging from the *****ing and whining during this cold snap, yall would go out like the french and germans did in russia. I just can't see some southern good ol boy having the fortitude to take out winnipeg. Especially since even people from winnipeg hate winnipeg!

Syn for the win!

Heck, I can't even remember what we were going to go to war over, so I'm cracking a beer. Anybody want to join me? Cheers!!!:D

Oh, and MightyB, I'm sending you a bill for the therapy I'm going to have to undergo after glancing at that photo.

SPJ
01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
There are many new features.

The state of forum is way better than before.

I like to post multiple videos.

However, there is only one video allowed per post.

MightyB
01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh, and MightyB, I'm sending you a bill for the therapy I'm going to have to undergo after glancing at that photo.

Here's some therapy.

GoldenBrain
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Here's some therapy.

Oh yes, that helped! Thanks!!!:D

MightyB
01-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Oh yes, that helped! Thanks!!!:D

That movie (Spring Breakers) is pretty weird, but they do all get naked in it - so that's something.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 12:37 PM
people don't argue as much here anymore. The time between posts can be days. What happened?

bawang
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Here's some therapy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/hansen.png

SPJ
01-20-2014, 06:20 PM
A decade ago, I checked out and read forums both in Chinese and in English.

Nowadays, there are blogs and tweets.

Google+ and facebook groupie or communities.

So many feeds/streams to read or follow.

not enough time for so many platforms on the internet.

:(