PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Guard

YouKnowWho
01-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Some people believe that the boxing guard is the best guard to be used in combat. How will you know that your opponent's next move is either to punch at your head, or to shoot at your leg/legs?

Your thought?

lkfmdc
01-18-2014, 12:18 PM
NOT "boxing guard"

Most boxing guard is totally wrong for any kicking (since there is no kicking in boxing)

You need "Muay Thai hand position" but even this more modified... actually most like "Dutch Kickboxer guard"

If you use your hands as wrestling defense, your diet will be all punches, elbows, knees and kicks

Your feet and hips fight the wrestler

Kellen Bassette
01-18-2014, 02:12 PM
You need "Muay Thai hand position" but even this more modified... actually most like "Dutch Kickboxer guard"

What's the difference between the hand position in Thai MT and Dutch MT?

Dragonzbane76
01-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Some people believe that the boxing guard is the best guard to be used in combat. How will you know that your opponent's next move is either to punch at your head, or to shoot at your leg/legs?

Your thought?

boxing is one dimensional. You could say boxing has the best guard for boxing. If you throw any takedowns or kicks into the mix it changes the dynamics and you have to know those areas as well. That's why I always get upset with most TCMAs they come across that they have answers for all areas when they don't because they do not work all areas.

lkfmdc
01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

quick example

Kellen Bassette
01-18-2014, 04:13 PM
So basically a bit tighter and more closed than a traditional Thai guard...is this the style of guard you teach?

Dragonzbane76
01-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Dutch MT brought hands back into MT from my understanding

Pete
01-18-2014, 04:16 PM
edit: woah was way too late on that

Kellen Bassette
01-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Dutch MT brought hands back into MT from my understanding

Traditional Thai boxing gets a lot of criticism for the simplistic punching, but with the focus that is put on the clinch and the use of elbows, there's less time spent "boxing" than there would be in kick boxing formats that don't allow for continuous clinch fighting.

bawang
01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
good fighters switch stance.

Kellen Bassette
01-18-2014, 06:15 PM
good fighters switch stance.

Agreed. If your coordinated enough to pull off a take down or a head kick, there should be no reason you can't shift from weight on the front leg, to weight on the back leg, or sink in a live horse.

Neeros
01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
My favorite is Single Tiger in False leg for the surprise factors in attacking.

And for defense double dragon hands in bow-arrow which is good for threading and sinking punches and kicks to set up for a hip throw (Felling Tree With Roots)

Yes, gasp, I prefer kung fu techniques and footwork over boxing techniques and footwork. lol

mawali
01-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Your thought?

1. Western boxing has very good exponents
2. Western boxing guard is well respected and usually stands its own in national and international boxing events.
3. Boxing is still a great skill through the available physical conditioning that has made it great over the century.

One does not know what the opponent will do but boxer to boxer interaction usually have a generalized hunch on the plan of attack. Mixed boxing and wrestling, on the other hand (lile a street fight) depends on the versatility of those who go against the other. Usually mixed boxing/wrestling individuals tend to defeat boxers only because the former has more tools in the box to use against the latter.

dcrjradmonish
01-18-2014, 08:14 PM

Your thought?

I always liked the FMA systems for defense. As far as knowing if your going to get attacked bye a punch to your head or a shoot to your legs you can use tell bye the level the attack is coming from as long as you keep enough distance to read your enemy.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 06:44 AM

David Jamieson
01-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Telegraphing is revealed in a lot of ways.
Look at the whole person and switch stances, stay mobile.
The very idea that something is static anywhere in fighting is off.
Nothing is static, except inanimate objects used as targets.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 09:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaOuHjxFTKI

YouKnowWho
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
If your opponent is 100 feet away from you, you can even lay down on the ground if you want to.

How to guard your body depends on the distance between you and your opponent. To guard your head when your opponent is outside of your kicking range makes no sense to me.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I think we overthink this stuff too much. That pic's an 1800's traditional bare knuckle boxing stance. Looks exactly like what I've learned in 7* Praying Mantis.

Keep loose, and protect your head, elbows down to protect your midsection - there's not much more to say about it. I'd like to look into boxing as a supplement to kung fu, because I think it'd help with learning how to use TCMA more effectively.

bawang
01-20-2014, 01:52 PM
I think we overthink this stuff too much. That pic's an 1800's traditional bare knuckle boxing stance. Looks exactly like what I've learned in 7* Praying Mantis.

Keep loose, and protect your head, elbows down to protect your midsection - there's not much more to say about it. I'd like to look into boxing as a supplement to kung fu, because I think it'd help with learning how to use TCMA more effectively.

maybe you should've done that 20 years ago instead of just thinking of it now at almost 40 year old.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 02:45 PM
maybe you should've done that 20 years ago instead of just thinking of it now at almost 40 year old.

But it turns out I was learning it all along! :eek:

Whoa... mind = blown!