PDA

View Full Version : Xing Yi vs Ba Gua: Line vs circle

SPJ
01-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Ba gua stresses circles or roundness around your hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, shoulder, chest, back, waist and steps.

Xing Yi stresses straight lines both vertically (Beng, Pi, Zuan) and horziontally (heng) etc.

Xing Yi Pao has both vertical and horizontal components.

Yes.

These are overly generations about both styles.

Which one you prefer?

Line vs circle wise.

That is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fgfUbS8cQ

SPJ
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Ba Gua for girls?

Ba Ji for boys ?

Agreed or not ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWqvau12ic

:)

bawang
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
you should stop watching those movies.

those stuff were poison 500 years ago, its still poison now.

kung fu fantasy is not normal fraud. it is fraud that cost people their lives, drenched in blood. that is why ancients called this not a crime, but an EVIL.

put down the dvd and grab a barbell.

MightyB
01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
http://youtu.be/WZu5VUOsBM8 They do some sparring at the 21 minute mark.

idk, neither's my cup of tea.

bawang
01-20-2014, 02:10 PM
http://youtu.be/WZu5VUOsBM8 They do some sparring at the 21 minute mark.

idk, neither's my cup of tea.

the guy got slapped by the hongkong ladyboy because he kept trying to perform the shape. the desire to maintain form makes his body rigid and unresponsive.

to fight well with kung fu, you must overcome the fear of not looking like kung fu. then everything you do will look like kung fu.

SPJ
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Agreed that movies are just movies.

Most of Dong Hai Chuan bio's are still under active research.

However, we do have a movie of him.

Of course, they are made up tales or drama.

Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBH6tnq8JY

bawang
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Agreed that movies are just movies.

Most of Dong Hai Chuan bio's are still under active research.

However, we do have a movie of him.

Of course, they are made up tales or drama.

Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBH6tnq8JY

your mind and my mind work differently.

for 365 days, I take a stick and hit myself. lift weight hit bag meditate.

these plastic movies means nothing to me now. I have achieved kung fu nirvana.

after 40 years, you are still a dreamer. but I am already there.

your missing ingredient was fire in your heart. but it is too late now. time to rot away, old man.

Miqi
01-21-2014, 03:27 PM
the guy got slapped by the hongkong ladyboy because he kept trying to perform the shape. the desire to maintain form makes his body rigid and unresponsive.

to fight well with kung fu, you must overcome the fear of not looking like kung fu. then everything you do will look like kung fu.

Hm. What a great boxer you sound like.

SPJ
01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
My points are that

1 center line.

Do you work on your center line defense and offense from there mostly or not?

2 circle, ball, roundness, archness

Do you focus on your moves and strategy around these themes or not ?

3. What do you think about the subjects for what you are doing and in each style ?

4. The movie clips were just movie clips.

Many famous wushu celeb were recruited to make the movie.

It took the producer like 13 years or since 2000.

Four styles are featured. How close the ideas are portrayed in the movie or not ?

Hey. It is only a movie.

5. I use dumbbell more then barbell.

I do lift weight and relaxation/flexibility drills daily.

There is only so much you can do with an aging body or physique.

Such is the life.

:)

Miqi
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with being inspired by movies. Besides which, the body language and athleticism of the wushu athletes in these modern wuxia flicks is so far beyond the average level of western so called Chinese martial arts that they at least - at the very least - have one piece of the puzzle more than the people who criticise them, and one piece is better than none.

In terms of circular or linear, if you're asking which is more effective, xing yi or bagua, then people who can effectively use either are almost non existent. Those that do exist, it's not clear that they could use them effectively beyond a certain level of confrontation. As a 'theory' question, then the answer should be 'no limits' - whatever is best in the moment. As a slightly more technical point, one might say that, in yiquan, there is an attempt to merge linear and circular. Again, how effective that is on average is another matter.

Prairie
01-31-2014, 07:44 PM
I haven't studied any xingyiquan and only a bit of baguazhang.

That said, I have strong suspicion that both xingyi and bagua have a good dose of both linear and circular movement and application. The Gao bagua that I learned a little bit of was certainly not exclusively circular in nature.

Putting style aside, my own preference is for circular movement. When something turns, it must have a center of rotation. I like the feeling in the body, both at extremities and in the core of the feeling of center generated by the turning. Awareness of body aside, I'm not as keen on hitting as on throws, ect... Generally, I think, hitting will need some pretty linear movement and throwing will require a turn about a center.

I like movies. Good for inspiration. Inspiration is often hard to come by.

SPJ
02-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Line vs circle or curve is always a contest or debate.

There is no real line.

It is curvilinear.

direct or indirect approach is always a contest.

both in practice and theory.

In the end, get a punch in the face or abdomen.

It does not matter how it gets there.

However, there is a big difference in defense.

--

No_Know
02-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Pa Kua Ch'uan is my preference (Original School). [other than zhang or chang]

"SPJ
My points are that

1 center line.

Do you work on your center line defense and offense from there mostly or not?"

Yes out from a near center reference without going too far from center. Always a line, but use curving to vary the in coming of my straight line as I understand appropriate.-No_Know

"2 circle, ball, roundness, archness

Do you focus on your moves and strategy around these themes or not ?"

Absorb-diffuse an attack molding to it as directly as possible. Steps are straight. Knees and ankles flex/contract to slide the torso with an attack-softening the attack. While also, allowing me to close with the opponent with the option to blend with an attack. Step and weave my body position to smother the opponent's attempts while not choking my security.-No_Know

"3. What do you think about the subjects for what you are doing and in each style ?"

I think it's important to experience the subjects--I say the definition of the technique to get set-up; then I review the definitions and think of the situation and use. As I repeat the review, the review fades as I refine and settle into improvement of technique against what it's for. Correctness replaces review. I keep the framework I found and adjust to the situation while the base point are constant.-No_Know

"4. The movie clips were just movie clips.

Many famous wushu celeb were recruited to make the movie.

It took the producer like 13 years or since 2000.

Four styles are featured. How close the ideas are portrayed in the movie or not ?

Hey. It is only a movie."

I think the movie reflects current thoughts of the styles as demonstrated by top recognized authorities of those.-No_Know

mawali
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
There is a single straight line baqauzhang practice done back and forth. You go X distance then turn around then back and forth repeatedly until finished.