PDA

View Full Version : Does Choy Li Fut place more emphasis on the cross leg/scissor stance than Hung Ga?

LaterthanNever
01-21-2014, 08:20 PM
I know both styles do alot of stance emphasis and I know Hung Ga does alot of Horse emphasis. The twisting which I observe more in CLF leads me to belive that the cross leg/scissor stance is emphasized more than in Hung. Can anyone comment on the greater emphasis on the cross leg stance in CLF?(my observation may be completely off).

Thank you,
LTN

tungmojingjung
01-23-2014, 12:07 PM
There are multiple usages of the position you mention here are a few with my limited understanding:

#1, to lock your foot behind the opponent before sinking the body, this twist (cross horse) position now is used as a fighting horse crashing against the leg and knee.

#2, a transition position to advance or retreat depending on the circumstance.

#3, a position used to conceal the mid level of the body.

#4, it is also used to increase the reach of ones attack.

LaterthanNever
02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Thank you for the reply and explanation..thought that wasn't my question per se.

YouKnowWho
02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Since the CLF system use more "haymaker", the cover step and stealing step are used more for body rotation.

TenTigers
09-28-2014, 07:29 PM
CLF also uses the twisted stance to "disolve" from the opponent's strike, while delivering his own, with the added momentum of the whipping of the body.
Very similar to how Tai-Chi disolves, but with a twist.
-pun intended. ;-)

David Jamieson
10-07-2014, 01:29 PM
CLF in it's various iterations have more forms, so yes, they do scissor step more than HG. :D