PDA

View Full Version : Lau Gar

johnnyrambo
11-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions on Lau Gar kungfu.

Is it Shoalin???!!

Kung Lek
11-18-2001, 10:43 PM
It is the Lau family fist and was absorbed into some lineages of Hung Gar.

In some places it has developed on it's own.

It is a Shaolin style or a derivative style to say the least.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

johnnyrambo
11-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if its any good, theres a class near me and am thinking of going but not sure.

Last i was on forum, people seemed to have mixed views on Lau Gar suggesting it was a fraud.

Please give me some more info, any info is good info!

Sharky
11-18-2001, 10:54 PM
it is only a major thing in the uk. it tends to be kickboxing with a bit of horse stance thrown in there (not saying that's a bad thing).

You'll find, depending on the school obviously, that usually the more modern approach is taken (ie it's just like a kickboxing school) but that isn't a bad thing.

Check it out for yourself.

I have to say, i've been here for a while, and i think i've actually discussed every topic that's ever going to be, and everything just repeats over and over and over and over :cool:

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Sharky
11-18-2001, 10:56 PM
the reason they think it's a fraud is cos it's only in the uk, for a reason not obvious to me - sorry man

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

PaleDragon
11-18-2001, 11:07 PM
ive learnt lau gar kuen at the school i attend here in the US...its not kickboxing so i assume its nothing like the UK version or whatever...ours is very much the lau gar that was adapted to the hung gar style(stances, etc.) I like it alot...good leg workout.

johnnyrambo
11-19-2001, 01:34 PM
I think i will try it out!

Anyone else train in Lau Gar??

And how did it get absorbed into Hung Gar?

scotty1
11-19-2001, 02:05 PM
trained in Lau Gar and although the sparring was quite kickboxy (?) we also did traditional sparring, which was cool, and something we don't do at my 5 animals class. I'd say go for it, it seems like a strong style.

phoenix-eye
11-19-2001, 03:17 PM
What a load of absolute rubbish Sharky.

"Its kickboxing with a bit of horse stance thrown in!"

Have you ever been to a proper Lau Gar class?

What you have seen is competition sparring from Lau Gar students. That is not the same as the style and I would expect a little more from you based on previous posts.....

Shaolin monk Shi Yanzi does San Shou and adopts a western boxing fighting stance. He uses roundhouse, hook kick, side kicks, hook punches etc etc. Does this make Shaolin not a traditional style 'cos his "sparring looks kickboxy".

Absolute and utter rubbish. Go find a proper Lau Gar school in the UK. It is NOT a fraud at all.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

shinwa
11-19-2001, 04:30 PM
Lau Gar is one of the five major southern styles of Kung Fu, believed to be created by Lau Sam Ngan(Three eyed lau). They called him that because he had a scar on his head that people thought looked like a third eye. The style was made famous these days by lau kar leung(fight choreographer/major Kung fu teacher), a staple of the Shaw Brothers film group. Who oddly enough has a mole on his head which could also be mistaken as a third eye heh heh. I think the only reason lau gar would look like kickboxing is because they're fighting in "kickboxing" type tournaments and traditional KF is out of place there due to sportsmanship, rules and the like. True Lau Gar is way traditional, and in it's truest form has nada in common in with Kickboxing.

Colin
11-19-2001, 04:33 PM
Johnny,
I've tried many different martial arts over the years & have found little to compare with lau Gar Kuen taught correctly!
There are many clubs claiming to teach Lau Gar, however alot of these really have lost their true path.If you're in London get in touch and you can come see some real Lau Gar.
email: info@laugar.org.uk

sharky,
I thought you would know better by now.
With your little bit of wing chun, & a dabble in kickboxing we can all see that you are an expert on southern shaolin kung fu.
You insult many dedicated students of kung fu by your ill-informed comments and really aren't going to raise your lowly status within CMA's by insulting the most established Chinese style in the UK.
We've been through all this sh!te before, yet you still seem unable to see the wood (so to speak).
Go play in your sandpit until you're old enough to make informed mature comments about styles you've never practiced.
Please don't make any stupid little comment to try and score points back, because i'm really not interested in listening to your childish rantings, and might just have to come up there to sunny manchester and kick your skinny ass!

C.........

[This message was edited by Crawling Tiger on 11-20-01 at 06:55 AM.]

[This message was edited by Crawling Tiger on 11-20-01 at 07:00 AM.]

Colin
11-19-2001, 07:56 PM
Or Wales for that matter!

Sharky
11-19-2001, 08:26 PM
i never said it was a fraud. i never insulted anyone. stop being so melodramatic. no need to insult me. that was quite childish of you.

yes, i have been to a few lau gar classes, only for 2 weeks, but i never said i studied it. I was generalising. Like saying that tkd is big flashy kicks. stop crying over it you petty little fu.cks.

Sharky
11-19-2001, 08:31 PM
in fact, re-reading your posts, you make yourselves look really stupid.

you put words into my mouth, twist what i say, leave out things, and also take what i say out of context.

Good work.

Sharky
11-19-2001, 08:45 PM
"What a load of absolute rubbish Sharky.
"Its kickboxing with a bit of horse stance thrown in!"

Have you ever been to a proper Lau Gar class?"

Yes.

"What you have seen is competition sparring from Lau Gar students. That is not the same as the style and I would expect a little more from you based on previous posts....."

They don't spar using the style they learn?

"Shaolin monk Shi Yanzi does San Shou and adopts a western boxing fighting stance. He uses roundhouse, hook kick, side kicks, hook punches etc etc. Does this make Shaolin not a traditional style 'cos his "sparring looks kickboxy"."

Of course not. Dont' be so stupid. I never said that. I also never said it wasn't a traditional style of kung fu.

"Absolute and utter rubbish. Go find a proper Lau Gar school in the UK. It is NOT a fraud at all."

I never said it was.

Now onto the other cat.

"I thought you would know better by now.
With your little bit of wing chun, & a dabble in kickboxing we can all see that you are an expert on southern shaolin kung fu."

What? Eh? Little bit? You have no idea how much i have or haven't learnt? i've also never studied kickboxing in my life. the only art i have ever properly studied is wing chun, and now i have taken up boxing also. I never said i was an expert? Isn't it somewhat silly to assume someone elses ability, that you have never met?

"You insult many dedicated students of kung fu by your ill-informed comments and really aren't going to raise your lowly status within CMA's by insulting the most established Chinese style in the UK."

Yes. This is exactly what i was doing. Yes. You got me.

"We've been through all this sh!te before, yet you still seem unable to see the wood (so to speak)."

I don't want to see your wood.

"Go play in your sandpit until you're old enough to make informed mature comments about styles you've never practiced."

I never said i had practiced it. Trying to patronise someone who is younger than you is a tired game to play, but at least, if you were to try it, do it for a reason. I didn't insult anyone or anything.

"Please don't make any stupid little comment to try and score points back"

What? You heard about the Lau Gar master that kicked my ass when i was 8 and mentally scarred me?

"i'm really not interested in listening to your childish rantings, and might just have to come up there to sunny manchester and kick your skinny ass!"

Ok, so now you think i'm skinny? How you figure that? And kick my ass? That's a little arrogant of you, don't you think?

In fact, as you can see, it's YOU GUYS who let ME down, with your stupid ultra defensive martial ego that is the bain of most CMA students. That's why we get a bad rep

YOU CUSSED MY STYLE! NOW I MUST CHALLENGE YOU!

:rolleyes:

Yours,

Edd

[This message was edited by Sharky on 11-20-01 at 11:07 AM.]

shinwa
11-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Err sharky? Hope you weren't including me in your comments because i didn't diss you in the slightest.

Sharky
11-19-2001, 09:00 PM
i didn't man.

shinwa
11-20-2001, 01:30 AM
Ok cool bro. :cool:

PaleDragon
11-20-2001, 10:06 AM
I noticed Lau Gar Kuen was referred to as a martial art...Just want to point out Lau Gar Kuen is a set/form from the Lau Gar style...also including Lau Gar Jueng(sp) and the pole set. wouldnt have bothered to point it out, except for the person who started this thred was wanting information.

phoenix-eye
11-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Don't want to fight with you mate cos I like you.

But....

Read your post - it does seem like you're saying lau gar is kickboxing with a bit of horse stance doesn't it??

As you know - this is not the case. There's nothing petty about correcting that statement.

Of course Lau students use their style in kickboxing. This does not make Lau Gar kickboxing nor does it make kickboxing Lau Gar. The Shi Yanzi comment was used as a similar example and logical extrapolation of what you said.

phoenix-eye
11-20-2001, 03:47 PM
The last comment of my post was actually directed at the originator of the topic who had heard it was a fraud. It didn't read like that in my post though.

Anyway, I stand by my post. There is a lot more to Lau Gar than just a bit of horse stance thrown in.

It pays to respect all systems until you actually know better - that's why I don't disrepect what I don't know.

Cheers Sharky. Keep smiling.

johnnyrambo
11-22-2001, 02:21 PM
calm down guys!!

i didnt want to start an argument!

but thanks anyway, the fact that some of feel so strongly about the style means to me that it is a valid style and i will probably take it up.

from what youve said it sounds like my perfect style mixing traditional training and forms with the more physical pad work and sparring.

thanks again!

Colin
11-22-2001, 05:05 PM
Pale dragon:
"I noticed Lau Gar Kuen was referred to as a martial art...Just want to point out Lau Gar Kuen is a set/form from the Lau Gar style...also including Lau Gar Jueng(sp) and the pole set. wouldnt have bothered to point it out, except for the person who started this thread was wanting information."

Surely the style is known as "Lau Gar Kuen" as in "Lau family fist" the same as "Hung Gar Kuen" is "Hung family fist." Whereas the form "Lau Gar Kuen" is more commonly known as the "Lau Gar fist form" in Hung Kuen.? Or am I mistaken?

Sharky.....
Look I don't want any negativity between us, we all tread our own path.
But surely you must see why i'd get annoyed by your dismissive comments regarding Lau Gar.
Much the same as if I said "Wing Chun is just Taekwondo with the difficult bits removed" which or course I don't think!

So ok I apologise for the comments regarding your age, that was unjustified, but the "You disrespect my style and i'll kick your ass" stuff well..........
if I insult your mother i'd expect a response. If you insult my choosen martial art then you must expect a similar response.
So ease up on Lau Gar, it's a good solid style parcticed by more people than anyother Chinese art in the UK ( except maybe Wing Chun and it's derivatives )
Oh! and keep an eye on that new thread by Chaz.

regards
Colin...............