PDA

View Full Version : Good TKD site

rogue
11-19-2001, 12:59 AM
Read the section "TKD then and now". A very good and as far as I can tell accurate history of TKD.

http://www.geocities.com/changhontkd/index.htm

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Kung Lek
11-19-2001, 01:10 AM
But I thought TKD was 4 million years old? And predated all other martial arts by at leats 5 minutes? :D

hahahahahaha, finally someone is placing fairly accurate info about the schools on the web.

Tang Soo Do and Hwarang Do are not the same thing however, so don't any of you try to draw the parralels.

And, there's a few Kung Fu styles that in actuality had their foundations in Karate.

It's a big circle, coming around on itself over and over and over again.

Theres also lots of Kung Fu styles that were never influenced at all by anything but Indigenous Chinese martial arts (usually Taoist sometimes blended with buddhist), and some that were strictly Buddhist Martial arts.

I always thought that the Koreans called Bodidharma Daruma. Ta Mo is the abbreviated "nickname" the Chinese gave him from their name for him "Pu Ti Ta Mo".

Also, Ta Mo, wrote nothing down and taught from existant sutras to his follower Hui Ke. The Bone marrow washing classic and the muscle/tendon/sinew change classic were not written down in anything other than the notes of those who learned it through the Ch'an patriarchs and Martial teachers at Shaolin.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

joedoe
11-19-2001, 01:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And, there's a few Kung Fu styles that in actuality had their foundations in Karate [/quote]

Which ones? Never heard that before.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SanHeChuan
11-19-2001, 01:45 AM
shaolin-do :D

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

joedoe
11-19-2001, 02:05 AM
Good one SanHe :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

rogue
11-19-2001, 04:37 AM
Kung Lek, have you studied HRD?

Here's what the guy says in his bio...
"My training in Hung Gar was my favorite. I wish I could find my childhood Sifu."

So ease up guys. :p

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Kung Lek
11-19-2001, 04:52 AM
nope, haven't formally studied HwaRang Do.
I do know that the Hwarang were around a long time ago. of noble lineage in the early dynasties of the korean king ships. They did have a martial art or more accurately a warriors code not unlike those of the Japanese and their predacessors the Chinese.

Many of the early asian civilizations were modeled on those of the Indian civilization which next to the chinese is the oldest unbroken civilization in existance. The Chinese being an equal in length of time in succesion of lineages with the breakups (not total) for both occuring with the incurrsions of various warring tribes and empires with the most notable being the british who lost their hold in India in 1947 and China in 1997. but still, that' some pretty high civilizations that were existing for a very long time.

The koreans had high civilization also for extended periods of time as did the cambodians with the Khmer and the Persians and all others who populated out of the Hindu Kush into the Indus valley and all along the silk road.

These people were at advanced levels of civilization while most western peoples were still crawling around in caves of the frozen north clothing themselves in animals skins.

the Wheel of life is not unlike the wheel of comedy it seems :D

such is life.
peace

Kung Lek

rogue
11-19-2001, 05:06 AM
But here's the kicker KL, now we're advanced and now they're crawling around in caves! Go figure.

The reason I ask about HRD is that I've been looking into it for the last couple of months. Good art but I still don't buy into the ancient lineage.

Signed,

NorthernMantis
11-19-2001, 05:16 AM
Dude don't forget it all started in Korea!

and that Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society is fake it's just a shoot off tkd.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

[This message was edited by NorthernMantis on 11-19-01 at 07:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by NorthernMantis on 11-19-01 at 07:31 PM.]

MonkeySlap Too
11-19-2001, 05:28 AM
Hwarang Do is gussied up Hapkido. No ancient lineage.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

Shaolindynasty
11-19-2001, 05:33 AM
If it is a good art then who cares about the ancient lineage?

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

SantaClaus
11-19-2001, 05:39 AM
you say that because you have no lineage

rogue
11-19-2001, 05:48 AM
"and that Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society is fake it's just a shot off tkd."

Oh Yeah, real mantis is in the south. So there. :p

"Hwarang Do is gussied up Hapkido."

Not quite. While I agree with your second sentence, Joo Bang Lee, no matter what art HRD started from, has come up with an art that is different from Hapkido in execution of technique. I'd say it's like comparing Hakko-ryu JJ and Aikido, both founders studied under the same master and while the arts may have similarities, they are not the same arts. One(Hakko ryu and HRD) being more practical(IMO) than the other(Aikido and Hapkido). You have to compare them side by side to really see the difference, but there's less selling of the "throws" in HRD than in Hapkido. In other words people don't fly through the air for 10 feet in HRD when they apply a wrist lock, the guy either goes straight down or he'll flip and go straight down.

Signed,

Shaolindynasty
11-19-2001, 05:50 AM
How do I have no lineage? Nutfunny or whatever you call yourself now what do you consider lineage?

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

NorthernMantis
11-19-2001, 06:28 AM
"Oh Yeah, real mantis is in the south. So there."

Hey wait a minute I thought it was from Korea :eek: :eek: :D

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Watchman
11-19-2001, 06:31 AM
Good TKD site??

Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Serpent
11-19-2001, 07:02 AM
No, that would be "good tkd". It's possible to make a good site about tkd though! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot defeat the Bronze Girls of Shaolin!

Sharky
11-19-2001, 07:03 AM
watchman returns

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

shinwa
11-19-2001, 07:45 AM
Don't diss the DO. There are lots of sucky TKD guys out there but its a good style with the right person behind it.

Watchman
11-19-2001, 07:55 AM
Shinwa, don't take it too seriously. I'm just trying to get in a weak dig on Rogue since he's stirring up trouble over on the Wing Chun forum.

With Rogue's jokes and Kung Lek's constant trolling on the WC forum it's been hard wading through it all. ;)

Merryprankster
11-19-2001, 03:58 PM
Who gives a rat's ass about lineage?

1. Does it work?
2. Does it work?

Those are the only questions that really matter. I don't have a "wrestling lineage," but it sure as hell works!

rogue
11-19-2001, 04:04 PM
If asking a simple question is stirring up trouble, then I'm guilty as charged! :D

And Kung Lek wasn't trolling, he was shooting fish in a barrel.

Welcome back Watchman.

Signed,

Kung Lek
11-19-2001, 04:19 PM
trolling...moi?

I wouldn't dream of trolling the Wing Chun board, although it does seem pretty easy to do. :D

A lot of firey stuff going on over there about the simplest of techniques. still, more intelligent than some of the insults slung on the southern board. yeesh, those clf guys can't tear big enough strips off each other sometimes.

And I like CLF, even though it hasn't been formally decided how many forms the styles have, what they are, who brought them in, where they came from etc... ;)

as fro the northern preying mantis forum, well that's just messed up with all the infighting between a couple of schools.

I also like preying mantis system, but it seems to be having the same problems as the CLF system.

I guess only the Hung Family stylists really have it together and the Bak Sil Lum schools. hahhahahahahahahaha, luckily those two styles are closest to my heart.

I prefer spin cast to fly by the way .

peace

Kung Lek

shaolinboxer
11-19-2001, 04:25 PM
www.taekwon.net (http://www.taekwon.net) is my fave TKD site. If you can get the streaming vids to work they have some great fights and demos posted there.

Radhnoti
11-19-2001, 05:43 PM
I have a quick question. Japan had the samurai and the bushido code. Korea had the Hwarang, who also lived by a "code". Now...China. Anyone know what sort of code the "archetypical" Chinese hero lived by? And would that hero be shaolin monks, or "knights errant" that I've heard about, brandishing jian and righting wrongs? I guess I'm asking what do you guys consider to be China's version of Bushido? Thanks.

apoweyn
11-19-2001, 05:59 PM
as i understand it (standard disclaimer), the hwarang weren't much like the samurai. i've read that the hwarang were indeed a highly regarded class within the social hierarchy. but that they represented the educated youth of the upper class. so while their education did include etiquette, literature, and even things like archery and swordsmanship, they weren't really a warrior class. those things were just regarded as important parts of the education of a gentleman.

then when joo bang lee was looking for a historical and philosophical basis for his style.

whether this is so, i can't say. but i read it somewhere and thought i'd throw it on the table.

stuart b.

rogue
11-19-2001, 09:11 PM
Hwarangdo (http://www.hwarang.org/Personal.html)

There also seems to be a connection with kuk sool.

Signed,

apoweyn
11-19-2001, 09:28 PM
well, that history maintains that the hwarang were indeed a warrior class. but i wonder if that isn't an extension of the 'mythology' he mentions. so i'm still curious. (not calling this guy a liar, mind you. just interested in the discrepancy.)

this would be much easier if i had even the vaguest idea who wrote the account i read.

stuart b.

rogue
11-19-2001, 09:48 PM
Bob Duggan, defrocked HRD black belt. www.hwarang.org (http://www.hwarang.org)

Signed,

qeySuS
11-20-2001, 01:27 AM
ahhh sweet, this is actually a funny coincidence, i read that site last night and a lot about how the Palgwe (or however it's spelled) forms were powerful but the Taeguk forms were made to accomodate the olympic sports and most places didnt train Palgwe, now i'd never seen this before so i thought "Hmm guess we dont do that", but by a freak coincidence our teacher taught us Palgwe 1 and 2 today.

i liked it a lot, it had a lot of open hands and the movements didnt seem as rigid, plus all the stances were deep and you should show more power doing palgwe (as opposed to Taeguk having a lot of short stances).

Liked it a lot more then taeguk :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

rogue
11-20-2001, 05:10 AM
I don't do either, we do the Chon Ji set with Bassai, Tekki 123, Enpi and a few more Japanese kata thrown in.

Signed,

Serpent
11-20-2001, 05:52 AM
Chinese Bushido? It's called Wu De (or Mo Duk in Cantonese). It means Martial Virtue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot defeat the Bronze Girls of Shaolin!