PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling sprawls..WTF then?

straight blast
11-19-2001, 01:22 PM
Ok, I'm getting the hang of this whole sprawl thing...my question? What the hell do you do once you're in this position? I have NO groundfighting experience at all, so please don't use big words :D
I'm racking my brain for workable ideas, but from a striking perspective (usually my perspective) there really doesn't seem to be a great deal of options.
Let the education begin! :cool:

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

KnightSabre
11-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Once you have sprawled on your apponent you are left with quite a few options.
You can go for the bread basket choke or cross face.You can also strike with your knees or elbows.
You can spin to his side or even take his back.
It's important that you keep your hips driving him against the floor,if you give him any space he can escape easily.
There are also a number of escapes one can use to get out from under the sprawl.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

Mr. Nemo
11-19-2001, 05:11 PM
If you wanna strike standing up, then after you sprawl, just stand up.

Of course, if you sprawled well, you're in a good position. You can punch him from that position, or knee him. Knees do a lot of damage, but they leave you vulnerable in some ways by taking away one of the limbs you can post on, and making your base weaker.

If you wanna keep the fight standing up, though, you can just stand up off of him after you sprawl.

Jaguar Wong
11-19-2001, 06:44 PM
Well, if you watch any of Igor Vovchancyn's (sp?) fights in Pride, you'll see that you can set up a very solid base, while holding on to the guy after a sprawl, then just start throwing hooks to the head/body (the would have to be very tight for head shots). I would prefer to step around behind the guy. If you can force him down with the sprawl, maintaining contact, then get behind, you're open to a whole crapload of options like chokes, strikes, pin/subdue, etc. In the streets it would be a good idea to take a quick strike or two to some choice targets, then get up and pimp kick (stomps) the guy until you're free to escape. Otherwise I would think the back mount to either subs, or strikes would be ideal.

The knees are a great suggestion BTW. If you don't have as much control and the other guy is regaining his center/balance, then go for a quick clinch, and start throwing the knees. Muay Thai has some choice techniques in the clinch, but you can also find similar techs in Praying Mantis, which would also give you some more options like takedowns, locks, kicks (knee busters), etc.

Don't forget your elbows, and the headbutt. These are valuable life-saving tools in the clinch. The idea is to flow from a sloppy sprawl right into the "coccoon of horror" :)

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

"If it doesn't work, punch him in the mouth and try again"
- Professor Ed O'malley

SantaClaus
11-19-2001, 06:49 PM
A)either lay on their head till they hit the ground, spinn, get a foot, plant them on their face and choke them.

B)Pull down, upon their reaction, plant a knee right below the heart, their wind will be gone, you can then toss them on their face and porcede to option A.

SantaClaus
11-19-2001, 06:51 PM
double underhooks, neck crank

Jaguar Wong
11-19-2001, 07:06 PM
Here's a risky one (good luck getting it to work ;))

When you sprawl, make sure you have pretty good control, then give them an opening to take a single leg. When they go for it, pick the "non single leg arm" and underhook with your near arm, and overhook with the far arm, then use your legs to figure four their other arm, drop to your back and crucify him, then just start firing the elbows into his temple.

A great example of this fluke, er eh technique is the Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrera fight in the early UFCs.

I think that may take more luck than skill against a skilled wrestler, though :) (Although I thought Paul Herrera was a skilled wrestler coming out of Tank Abbot's "camp").

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell: "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."

Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."

- actual event from DragonFest 1999

truewrestler
11-19-2001, 07:56 PM
ok, come on guys.

The #1 option...if the rules allow it... is to stand up and soccer kick the guys head. If you have watched Vanderlei Silva fight in Pride or Brazilian ValeTudo you would know how effective the move can be. Also, if the rules allow it, you can keep your weight on your opponent and knee.

I'll post some links to videos of Silva and others.

Most MixedMartialArts organizations, with Pride's new rules being the major exception, don't allow kicks to an opponent on the ground, but many allow knees.

Other than the above there is just spinning behind to get the back, chokes/neckcranks, rolling arm locks using your leg if the opponent has one of your legs, and the list goes on and on.

truewrestler
11-19-2001, 08:13 PM
<a href="http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pridematches.pl?pride12/pride12_vovchanchyn_vs_kerr.zip" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Igor Vovchanchyn vs Mark Kerr(knees)</a><hr align=left width=30%><a href="http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pridematches.pl?pride13/pride13_coleman_vs_goes.zip
" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Mark Coleman vs Alan Goes(knees)</a><hr align=left width=30%><a href="http://www.fighttraining.com/fight_clips/ufc8_goodridgeko.avi
" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrera(crucifix with elbows) mentionned above</a>

Haven't been able to find the videos of kicks i'm looking for.

The crucifix found in the last video above is a low percentage move and Gary used it to counter a firemans carry but it could be used against a highcrotch also. In an interview in the last year, Gary said him and his trainers created that move(found in regular wrestling though) and stayed up till like 3 in the morning practicing it. They knew Herrera liked the firemans(saw him practicing it the night before) and thought that might be Gary's only chance since Herrera was a better wrestler than him(gary probably had wrestled a little in the past though). This was in one of the first 10 UFCs before anyone knew much.

[This message was edited by truewrestler on 11-20-01 at 10:38 AM.]

LEGEND
11-19-2001, 09:09 PM
Go there...download SILVA...and u'll see him sprawl and knee...OUCH!

A

truewrestler
11-19-2001, 09:20 PM
of course...the highlight film!! i was looking everywhere but there! =) Thanks

<a href="http://www.sherdog.com/videos.shtm" target="_blank">http://www.sherdog.com/videos.shtm</a>

I'm trying to find the video that has the soccer kick from WEF 8, Renato Sobral vs Brad Kohler.

[This message was edited by truewrestler on 11-20-01 at 11:29 AM.]

truewrestler
11-19-2001, 09:33 PM
a couple of the links about were fudged up so here they are again

<a href="http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pridematches.pl?pride12/pride12_vovchanchyn_vs_kerr.zip" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Igor Vovchanchyn vs Mark Kerr(knees)</a><hr align=left width=30%><a href="http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/pridematches.pl?pride13/pride13_coleman_vs_goes.zip" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Mark Coleman vs Alan Goes(knees)</a><hr align=left width=30%><a href="http://www.fighttraining.com/fight_clips/ufc8_goodridgeko.avi" target="_blank">Click here to download video of finish from Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrera(crucifix with elbows) mentionned above</a>

truewrestler
11-19-2001, 09:37 PM
Legend, do you train anywhere in N.VA or Maryland? I'm in Alexandria, you're profile says you are in Chantilly.

LEGEND
11-19-2001, 10:48 PM
I'm an assistant instructor at Carl Runk's karate school in Fairfax VA. We train in grappling there. I've also worked out with various peeps in various style but by heart I'm a grappler. Small one but oh well.

A

truewrestler
11-20-2001, 02:45 AM
I went to Lloyd Irvin's for about a year. Gave up my car to save money(**** high insurance) and can't go to Maryland anymore.

LEGEND
11-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Get a used bike...should be cheaper! LOL.

A