PDA

View Full Version : Bushido

Ralek.
11-19-2001, 04:27 PM
Bushido (in it's varied incarnations) is something which has always interested me. I am
wondering, how many martial artists try to use it's tenets as a part of their own morality or
ethics?

The loyalty of the samurai would be difficult and probably unwise to adhere to today, to the
degree that they did. But what of it's other components-Politeness, justice, benevolence, etc.?

Does bushido influence the way you conduct yourself outside of the dojo? If so, how? Or do
you consider it a completely outdated ethical system?

HuangKaiVun
11-19-2001, 04:41 PM
Without bushido, we wouldn't be civilized human beings.

Ralek
11-19-2001, 05:18 PM
Do not confuse the fake Ralek. with the period for me.

I'm the real Ralek. I have no period in my name.

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

Ralek.
11-19-2001, 05:23 PM
i am you.you are me. now shutup and be good.

bad self.

apoweyn
11-19-2001, 05:31 PM
bushido is a very specific code of conduct. i don't consider myself to follow its tenets. i follow tenets that might fall in line with bushido. but i wouldn't consider myself an adherent of bushido unless i followed some of its more extreme or unique ideas.

for example, the samurai were soldiers. their "boss" was the daimyo. they were prepared (even eager) to die for their lord. i'm an editor. my boss is also an editor. rest assured that, as much as i like her, i'm not willing to die for her. or kill for her, for that matter.

but as soldiers, that's precisely the sort of thing that their specific code of conduct is designed to address.

you could say that you apply a version of bushido, i suppose. "modern civilian bushido." but without those elements specific to time, place, and role, it's just a name. my code of conduct could then just as easily be described as "the way i was brought up" for instance.

politeness, respect, perseverance, and so on. those aren't unique elements of bushido. present, but not unique. so if you're thinking of bushido as a specific belief, then i can't really claim to adhere to it. i haven't earned the right to claim that, because i've never made the choice to put my life in danger for my "lord." nor to take a life for that same lord. and without having made that commitment, then it's a pretty pale version of bushido, i think.

"way of the warrior." hard to do right by that without actually being a practicing warrior, in my opinion.

"way of the fairly decent human being." that, i can do.

stuart b.