PDA

View Full Version : Tensing too much the upper body.

zxcvbs
03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Hi, im new here. I practice since a little time (2 years) Choy Lee fut Kung fu.
Im having difficulty keeping the energy on the lower abdomen, my instructors say that im too much up and tense on the upper back, rigid on the shoulders. I keep trying to correct this problem without success, is like i dont know how to move arms without tensing up, making circular movements without continuity/fluidity (everything i do when i move an arm, is getting this tension in the way), or the guard sustained with the arms, keeping tension in the shoulders, or doing kicks with the upper body tensed, or in lower position with the energy too much in the chest, so i apply tension when im comfronted by force (not using the strenght just of the lower body centered)
They always tell me to relax, but i dont how to relax this. What would you recommend to try to correct this problem?

YouKnowWho
03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
They always tell me to relax, but i dont how to relax this. What would you recommend to try to correct this problem?

Try to punch without using your arms (by dropping both arms next to your legs). Try to coordinate your hip with your shoulder, and try to start to move and stop both at the same time.,

zxcvbs
03-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Hi, i think i dont notice this problem, because im used to keep tension in every moment, not just in kung fu. But when using the arms, my natural posture when walking is with the shoulders at front, or the chest closed, the problem is that i dont feel normal other way of keeping the upper back.
Other observation that i had when doing movements, is that i have too much straight the line that is projected between the shoulders, that i have to be relaxed, natural, more curvy.
I tend to walk everyday, as if i were looking down. Maybe is this?

This is what im doing everytime i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjrrpvoOFlw

YouKnowWho
03-21-2014, 09:32 PM
my natural posture when walking is with the shoulders at front, or the chest closed,

When I was young, I used to put a pencil between my back muscle and try to hold it there. Even today, when I walk, I still like to put my arms behind my back.

http://s13.postimg.org/ruici8adj/walk_with_hands_behind.jpg

bawang
03-22-2014, 06:36 PM
sounds like typical weekend warrior not practicing enough

I knew people that trained for 20+ years and still couldn't hold a fist properly. its your life. do what you want.

Faux Newbie
03-27-2014, 08:02 AM
This isn't meant to be pat, but relaxing the shoulders is the easiest way to relax the shoulders. Trying harder is not the solution, relax, get used to doing it as relaxed as possible, train yourself to do it. Everyone goes through this in the early stages, imo. Power comes from relaxing at the right moments, tensing at the right moments. It's very easy to thing that effort=power, but it often does not.

David Jamieson
03-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Standing meditation and seated meditation will help you to become more aware of your body and where to relax.
Over time with practice, you will relax and loosen up. That looseness will assist with speed development as well. :)

bawang
03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
it is also possible that you don't feel comfortable with people in your class. that can give you tension.

madhusudan
03-30-2014, 05:43 AM
It's good to pay attention to body feel. So, I think you're on the right track in being aware. I like John's idea of holding a pencil betwixt the shoulder blades. I imagine a sharp point poking between the shoulder blades. When you twist, the whole shoulder girdle rotates. You can feel the lats stretch a bit. Practice waist twists often, sometimes in stricter form, other times more relaxed. Just some ideas.