PDA

View Full Version : met and trained with a JKD guy yesterday.

LEGEND
11-19-2001, 09:53 PM
Well this is kind unusual...I have met and trained with several JKD type guys but never one focused on the original jun fan system. It's very interesting...there's a guy...RICK that works as the kickboxing( thai bo type ) class at OLYMPUS GYM...Yamasaki's BJJ is there also...anywayz. Rick and I started training slightly...Rick is a short black man...but his JKD is very very similar to the way BRUCE moves. The description is like this...linear attacks...kicks are linear...side kicks...oblique kicks...spinning back kick( with control )...hook kick with lead leg only...his punches were a mix of boxing, fencing and involved some wing chun trapping. I was very impressed...what impress me the most is this speed and non telegraphic attacks...he would feint once and straight blast( chain punch ) in and then I'm SHOCKED! Very different from the WILLIAM CHEUNG wing chun approach and THAI BOXING approach I learned. All are self defense applicable but I'm still a GRAPPLER by heart. LOL.

A

Buhma
11-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Did you spar? If so, did you try to do a takedown? Just wondering how effective it is with the ground game?

<hr>
If ya ain't got the skills, I will take you out!

LEGEND
11-19-2001, 11:22 PM
I didn't spar him...
But I'll be honest...
if it was a street fight...
I would get annilated!
Why???
No. 1...
he's street oriented...
he does having boxing experience and power when I was holding the PAD...
the main thing is that unlike BOXING or THAI BOXING...
his approach is linear...
he goes through u...
the main thing is it's all applicable for street fighting scenario...
he advocates...
for example...your zone of fighting...
u know how in the street u get the staredowns??? Well as soon as u walked up to him...he'll intercept u with a kick( side kick to the shin=seems to be his fav. oblique kick to to the shin OR...front snap kick to the groin )...while u're defending those areas he does a straight blast forcing u back and finishes with a boxing or a snap kick. It's not fancy or flashy...
the techs are simple...
it's a very linear approach to fighting. Not toe to toe like TOUGH MAN contest or HOCKEY BRAWLs or STREET BRAWL videos...more like blitz and attack inward! Put it this way...I didn't think about shooting in...lol I didn't have time.
He downplays sparring...
He says alot of his teaching is based on 10 second fights...
He was a amauteur boxer so he does have experience...More than me LOL.
I have met many that are impressive like this...my wing chun instructor did the same to me but it was different...
So this is NOT the first time that I didn't think I could take a GUY. LOL.
Just being HONEST.
I don't think I can adapt to that way of fighting though...I think my mind set is just to ingrained to shoot shoot shoot.

A

Knifefighter
11-19-2001, 11:46 PM
The guy isn't Rick Mintor, is he? If so, in addition to being a kick-ass JKD guy, he is also a black belt in BJJ.

Sharky
11-19-2001, 11:47 PM
sounds cool man ;)

can u explain this bit though:

"the main thing is that unlike BOXING or THAI BOXING...
his approach is linear...
he goes through u..."

?

Thanks dude.

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

LEGEND
11-19-2001, 11:58 PM
knifefighter...I don't know his last name bro...it's on some poster...but he's small short guy...5ft 6 inches...he goes to cali every summer to train with the JKD peeps. I asked him alot of questions regarding JKD/JUN FAN approach...he demos without the trapping like TOMMY ARTHURs video. I was very impressed.

Sharky...well it's like a fencing attack...it's totally straight forward. U know in a boxing ring we have a tendency to go around and around.

A