PDA

View Full Version : cross training

deejaye72
04-27-2014, 07:12 PM
jigaro kano, morihei uyeshiba, bruce lee, dan inosanto, william c.c.chen, the founder of wing chun (snake and crane), and many more..etc.
how many here feel it's important to cross train and why?

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2014, 05:16 AM
I think that CT is vital for two distinct reasons:
1) NO system is complete and if one wishes to be a complete fighter one must cross-train AND cross-test in various systems.
2) NO system is trained VS other systems 100% of the time, not even 50%, so cross-training and/or cross-testing helps a fighter deal with the problems that other systems may present them.

In short, cross-training and/or cross-testing makes a fighter a better fighter.

deejaye72
04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
I think that CT is vital for two distinct reasons:
1) NO system is complete and if one wishes to be a complete fighter one must cross-train AND cross-test in various systems.
2) NO system is trained VS other systems 100% of the time, not even 50%, so cross-training and/or cross-testing helps a fighter deal with the problems that other systems may present them.

In short, cross-training and/or cross-testing makes a fighter a better fighter.

absolutely! couldn't agree more with you. it's good to specialize in one or two ranges though. you dont want to spread yourself to thin. cross training was the best thing for me. it gave me a critical eye to look at other arts.

KPM
04-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Over the years I have crossed trained in many different things. I'll get away from my Wing Chun for awhile and study Filipino Martials Arts, or "Old School" boxing, or Renn era German Ringen, or German Longsword and Sword & Buckler, or Bowie Knife and Tomahawk, or tactical knife methods, or Silat etc. But between each I always went back to my Wing Chun. I've also "cross-trained" 3 different versions of Wing Chun. Each time I drifted away and then went back to Wing Chun it was always with a new perspective and understanding. So my cross-training wasn't to combine things in any kind of mish mash. But it has definitely improved what I now do. Just getting a feel for a different approach or body mechanic gives you better insight into your main method.

"Cross-testing", which I think is different from "cross-training", is also important as Sanjuro mentioned.

deejaye72
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Over the years I have crossed trained in many different things. I'll get away from my Wing Chun for awhile and study Filipino Martials Arts, or "Old School" boxing, or Renn era German Ringen, or German Longsword and Sword & Buckler, or Bowie Knife and Tomahawk, or tactical knife methods, or Silat etc. But between each I always went back to my Wing Chun. I've also "cross-trained" 3 different versions of Wing Chun. Each time I drifted away and then went back to Wing Chun it was always with a new perspective and understanding. So my cross-training wasn't to combine things in any kind of mish mash. But it has definitely improved what I now do. Just getting a feel for a different approach or body mechanic gives you better insight into your main method.

"Cross-testing", which I think is different from "cross-training", is also important as Sanjuro mentioned.

absolutely fantastic. german long sword? very nice. i bet you have some great experiences, and some wonderful training stories.

KPM
04-29-2014, 03:56 AM
absolutdely fantastic. german long sword? very nice. i bet you have some great experiences, and some wonderful training stories.

One of the interesting things I discovered is that the Sword & Buckler method taught by the oldest known Fencing manual, the I.33 or "Tower Fechtbuch" has a fair amount in common with Wing Chun. The main strategy is to occupy and protect the centerline, and the sword and buckler almost always move together like doing a Wing Chun Kwan Sao.

deejaye72
04-29-2014, 04:04 AM
One of the interesting things I discovered is that the Sword & Buckler method taught by the oldest known Fencing manual, the I.33 or "Tower Fechtbuch" has a fair amount in common with Wing Chun. The main strategy is to occupy and protect the centerline, and the sword and buckler almost always move together like doing a Wing Chun Kwan Sao.

thats what i'm saying! you will find the overlap in different martial arts, doesnt mean one is better then the other. and look at the history you are uncovering

deejaye72
04-29-2014, 04:23 AM
there were people training medeviel sword fighting in one of our local parks here. it was awesome, i couldnt stop watching. my wife yelled at me she" she said come on we got to go!" i got to talking with them, they told me they would give me lessons. they said they were there every tuesday night. i never went, i should have.