PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling vs. Striking

YouKnowWho
04-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I have finally found my mission for the rest of my life and finalized the right title for my book/DVD (I may just come up a DVD and not the book). After my senior Shuai Chiao brother David C. K. Lin's "Combat Shuai Chiao" book came out, I just don't want to write another Chinese wrestling book and repeat the same material. Since I was a striker before I was a wrestler, I would like to be the "bridge" between the striking art and the throwing art.

The main subject of my book is "how to turn a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP". I'm using the word wrestling instead of grappling here because my book won't cover much ground game.

I will cover the following subjects in my book:

- Big fist.
- Double haymakers.
- Single wrist control.
- Double wrists control.
- Double spears.
- Foot sweep entering.
- Head lock.
- Under hook.
- Over hook.
- Bear hug.
- Waist wrap.
- Single leg,

This book will help a striker to learn some throwing skill and strategy. It can also help a wrestler to learn how to deal with a striker. Do you think book like this will have any value in today's environment?

All comments (positive or negative) are welcomed and appreciated.

-N-
04-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing the material.

Firehawk4
04-30-2014, 11:51 PM
What about Areriial techniques or wresling in the air like flying closeline , paldriver ,power bomb , backdrop thingsl like that why are things like this not in mixed martial arts or UFC or taught in seldefense for the streets ? Cold you imagine a person doing the Paldriver or Power bomb to someone on cement .

-N-
05-01-2014, 06:35 AM
flying closeline

Praying Mantis hook punch, depending on the footwork, can exactly be a flying clothesline.

YouKnowWho
05-01-2014, 11:31 AM
What about Areriial techniques or wresling in the air like flying closeline , paldriver ,power bomb , backdrop thingsl like that why are things like this not in mixed martial arts or UFC or taught in seldefense for the streets ? Cold you imagine a person doing the Paldriver or Power bomb to someone on cement .

Do you have any clips for that?

The book is intend to be a "strategy" book and not "technique survey" book. There are already SC book that contain over 200 throws along with counters. There are also SC book that contain "principles". I try not to duplicate other's effort. I like to do the "bridge" work between the striking art and the grappling art.

YouKnowWho
05-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Praying Mantis hook punch, depending on the footwork, can exactly be a flying clothesline.

The 45 degree downward double haymakers will be part of the book material. It can be used when your opponent attacks first.

intercept8
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I would like to see realistic demonstrations of setups or entries. For example, I would like to see an opponent striking and/or kicking without leaving their arm out to be countered or grabbed and moving around. (Don’t under estimate your opponent.) How can I successfully enter and get control with the least amount of damage to me?

I look for entries or techniques being executed in high level boxing & MMA matches (film study), that I can use in street defense. If I don’t see certain entries (techniques) being used in; UFC, boxing, sparring, success may be small in real life.

Joe Rogan – In sparring & MMA, techniques (entries) are weeded out & you find out which work the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDWFS6uzMvM @ 1:00.

Instead, I can concentrate on figuring out which setups or entries have a better chance of working in the street. Judo throws can be seen performed in MMA by Olympian and high level judokas including, Ronda Rousey, Hector Lombard, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Dong Hyun Kim, Rick Hawn, & Karo Parisyan.

Here are some demo entries I came across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmRyoW1Vbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui2lTaB7cR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvPl4MCUys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WC8Lh8k-Ic

Kellen Bassette
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I'd read it.

-N-
05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
The 45 degree downward double haymakers will be part of the book material. It can be used when your opponent attacks first.

Pi chui (pek chui)?

Useful. Come back up and wrap the neck.

YouKnowWho
05-01-2014, 07:09 PM
How can I successfully enter and get control with the least amount of damage to me?

To move into clinch and reduce your risk to the minimum is the goal. In order to do so, you have to feel where your opponent's leading leg is (it's too far to feel your opponent's back leg), and where both his arms are. you then act like an octopus and wrap your opponent around and start your grappling game there.

In those clips that you put up, I still see too much risk are taken. For example, you can shoot at your opponent leading leg and hope that you can move fast enough that his kick, knee, fist, elbow won't be able to land on your head. You can also take a much safe route by

1. jam your opponent's leading leg, so both of his legs won't be a threaten to you when you enter.
2. guide both of his arms to be out of your moving path so his arms won't be a threaten to you when you enter.

As long as you try to achieve those 2 goals, your entering strategy should be a good one.

Here is a simple example.

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward (uniform stance).
- Your left leg sweep his right leading leg off the ground. This will let his leading right leg to jam his back left leg.
- You use your left arm to jam his leading right arm to his left (your right). This will use his leading right arm to jam his back left arm.

If you enter after that, his legs and arms will have no threaten to you.

Faux Newbie
05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I would totally buy your book/DVD. You have an open approach to other views, and are using that to adapt your considerable knowledge. That is rare.

intercept8
05-02-2014, 06:02 PM
In those clips that you put up, I still see too much risk are taken. For example, you can shoot at your opponent leading leg and hope that you can move fast enough that his kick, knee, fist, elbow won't be able to land on your head . . .

If you enter after that, his legs and arms will have no threaten to you.

I gave the demo link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmRyoW1Vbc to show how Rodrigo Gracie explains, in detail, the entry to finishing takedown. I didn’t mean for you to perform a single leg takedown, yourself. You may be able to use the same entry to get head control and complete your throw, maybe not. You may need a different entry.

Rodrigo explains in detail from resisting (enough) opponent (moving back and forth) to finishing, single leg takedown. I found this very helpful. Starting from they are both in standup, on guard position:

1. Attacking by Drawing (ABD) - Rodrigo starts out with a few jabs to head and body.

2. Timing - Then, Rodrigo takes one step back, opponent follows him. Then, Rodrigo takes a half step back and stops. (Like you’re going to take one step back but you don’t)

3. Angle - While the opponent steps and before he plants his front foot, Rodrigo shoots in, steps between the opponent's legs and grabs his hips; which helps to block a rear knee. He says the opponent’s momentum is going forward. So, it's hard for the opponent to sprawl. At that point, the opponent’s weight is over the front foot. So, a front knee is hard to do. Then, he can finish the single leg takedown.

I know what a single leg takedown is. However, no one has ever explained the finer points in detail to me. If I did it my old way, I could very well get a knee in my face. At least with the above finer details, I have a better chance of a successful takedown. (I probably will never attempt a single leg take down myself, because of the risk.)

Your leg and arm trapping sounds great. Thanks for all the explanations.

Faux Newbie
05-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I gave the demo link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmRyoW1Vbc to show how Rodrigo Gracie explains, in detail, the entry to finishing takedown. I didn’t mean for you to perform a single leg takedown, yourself. You may be able to use the same entry to get head control and complete your throw, maybe not. You may need a different entry.

Rodrigo explains in detail from resisting (enough) opponent (moving back and forth) to finishing, single leg takedown. I found this very helpful. Starting from they are both in standup, on guard position:

1. Attacking by Drawing (ABD) - Rodrigo starts out with a few jabs to head and body.

2. Timing - Then, Rodrigo takes one step back, opponent follows him. Then, Rodrigo takes a half step back and stops. (Like you’re going to take one step back but you don’t)

3. Angle - While the opponent steps and before he plants his front foot, Rodrigo shoots in, steps between the opponent's legs and grabs his hips; which helps to block a rear knee. He says the opponent’s momentum is going forward. So, it's hard for the opponent to sprawl. At that point, the opponent’s weight is over the front foot. So, a front knee is hard to do. Then, he can finish the single leg takedown.

I know what a single leg takedown is. However, no one has ever explained the finer points in detail to me. If I did it my old way, I could very well get a knee in my face. At least with the above finer details, I have a better chance of a successful takedown. (I probably will never attempt a single leg take down myself, because of the risk.)

Your leg and arm trapping sounds great. Thanks for all the explanations.

I think that's one of the things that many video tutorials miss out on, is implementing moves based around an opponent who is doing various footworks. You know a move much better when you understand it in relation to which directions of motion from the opponent aid it, which make it necessary to draw the opponent in various ways, etc.