PDA

View Full Version : Haha, I AM FIRST with Pride results!

DragonzRage
11-03-2001, 09:44 PM
I lifted this from a post at Mousel's. It sounds like it was a pretty good show all around. I'm very surprised to hear that Vovchanchyn got submitted by Sperry so quickly. It also sounds like Sak came back strong this time and gave Silva a run for his money. 1st Match:
Renzo Gracie vs Michiyoshi Ohara - Renzo by unanimous judges decision

Renzo seemed to be trying to fight like Ryan this time...he was not very aggressive with takedowns however was generally on the attack with punches. The better part of this fight was spent in a clinch with neither fighter doing much of anything. Ohara was yellow carded twice for holding the ropes. I don't think he threw one punch the whole match.

2nd Match:
Quinton Jackson vs Yuki Ishikawa - Jackson by 1st Round KO

3rd Match:
Dan Henderson vs Murilo Ninja - Henderson by judges decision

I dunno what fight the judges were watching, but I saw Ninja basically maintain a side mount for the first and second round, then Dan getting the best in the 3rd round. I definitely would not call the whole fight for Dan though.

4th Match:
Masaaki Satake vs Semmy Schilt - Schilt by 1st Round KO

Did anyone expect different? Schilt is like 2 feet taller than Satake.

5th Match:
Igor Vovchanchyn vs Mario Sperry - Sperry by submission (choke)

I was really suprised that Mario won so fast. It was about the 2 minute mark when he sank an arm triangle choke and Igor tapped.

6th Match:
Tom Erikson vs Matt Skelton - Erikson by submission (choke)

Tom used a one handed strangle (didn't know that was legal actually) to win in the first round.

7th Match:
Nobuhiko Takada vs Mirko Cro Cop - Draw

This was the letdown of the night. I normally don't bash on fighters but this was just inexcusable. Takada ran from Mirko the whole match, and anytime Mirko tried to approach Takada would just buttscoot. He must have plopped on his rear thirty times.
I hope Pride doesn't invite Takada back anymore. Even the Japanese crowd was booing him.

8th Match:
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Heath Herring - Nogueira by unanimous decision

Heath Herring proved a worthy contender for the first Pride Heavyweight championship match, making this the most exciting match of the evening. Heath constantly pulled off impresive escapes from Nogueira's ground attacks, but unfortunately could never form to much offense of his own.

9th Match:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Vanderlei Silva - Silva by injury at the end of the 1st round

Sak and Silva each had pulled off good moves through the match, but in the last minute Sak tried an armbar and Silva answered by picking him up about six feet in the air and then slamming him to the mat, with Silva's own weight falling on Sak as well. Sak had landed on his shoulder and it looked to maybe have displaced it. After the match Sakuraba cried while apologizing to his fans. He looked as sharp as ever for the match, as if he had trained very hard for it.

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

Mr. Nemo
11-03-2001, 09:57 PM
I just want to let my fans know that I could have posted pride results before dragonzrage, but decided to let someone else have the glory this time. Also, sometimes people who haven't seen the american broadcast yet get irritated when you post results.

About sak vs. silva: I didn't watch pride, I listened to the internet broadcast play by play on paltalk (until it got cut off and we had to move to another site) but from what I heard, Silva's slam was off a guillotine attempt by sak, not an armbar. The play by play guys said it looked like a desperation move, that the choke was sunk and Silva was almost out (god**** that's frusturating for a sak fan - he came so close!). Sak actually fought the rest of the round, about a minute more, holding silva in closed guard for most of it (betcha thought sak would never use closed guard, did you?) and threw in the towel between rounds.

Nogeuira vs. Herring kicked a$$, it was very exciting. The guys that watched it said it was the fight of the year - both fighters were very aggressive, and it was a very technical fight with some sweet sub attempts and escapes. Nogeuira hung with Heath striking, too. Nogeuira's got a long, lucrative career ahead of him - he's so young, and so complete. I hope his potential is realized better than Vitor's has been.

The paltalk commentators said there was something off about Igor that night; and, to keep this from sounding like an excuse, you should know they said it before he even got in the ring. His injury may have still been bugging him. Nonetheless, Sperry sounds deadly. Problem is, I doubt he'll fight Nogeuira, since they're both from the same team.

The paltalk play by plays are cool, it's like listening to an old scratchy radio broadcast or something. Problem is, you gotta stay up till 5 in the morning if you're on west coast time...

Watchman
11-03-2001, 11:32 PM
Silva's slam was off of a guillotine attempt by Sak.

You can see a clip of the slam here:

http://chiba.cool.ne.jp/uuufffccc/axemurder.avi